Options

U N C L E *B R U C E* S P R I N G S T E E N *

Comments

• Options
    MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Singapore Posts: 1,188
    Anyone would like to comment on the sound of the remastered Darkness?
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    KevDylan wrote:

havent gotten my boxset yet,

do you have a problem with it ?

It is from old 1978 footage, even remastered, its bound to have a few bumps in the road, yes ?
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    KinseyKinsey Posts: 197
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    KevDylan wrote:

It is from old 1978 footage, even remastered, its bound to have a few bumps in the road, yes ?

The remaster of the album is from the original master tapes, not bootlegs!
    Sound is punchier, with a little more clarity in terms of instrument audibility. Big improvement on the original album, though my ears aren't trained well enough to tell if it has significant compression.
    When we found the things we loved,
    They were crushed and dying in the dirt.
    We tried to pick up the pieces,
    And get away without getting hurt,
    But they caught us at the state line,
    And burned our cars in one last fight,
    And left us running burned and blind,
    Chasing something in the night.
  • Options
    Kinsey wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    KevDylan wrote:

The remaster of the album is from the original master tapes, not bootlegs!
    Sound is punchier, with a little more clarity in terms of instrument audibility. Big improvement on the original album, though my ears aren't trained well enough to tell if it has significant compression.

sounds like good news to me!
    thanks !
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Where are you guys hearing the remastered version of the album? Have some people got their pre-orders already?
  • Options
    KinseyKinsey Posts: 197
    It was released in Ireland and other parts of Europe on Friday.
    When we found the things we loved,
    They were crushed and dying in the dirt.
    We tried to pick up the pieces,
    And get away without getting hurt,
    But they caught us at the state line,
    And burned our cars in one last fight,
    And left us running burned and blind,
    Chasing something in the night.
  • Options
    Where are you guys hearing the remastered version of the album? Have some people got their pre-orders already?

It's coming out this Tuesday in the States. If you wanna preorder, Best Buy and Amazon have the cheapest deals.
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    The Promise is streaming on spinner: http://www.spinner.com/new-releases#/1

Listening now..Sounds great! I haven't heard the old bootlegs so can't say how they compare but these songs sound really good to me.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    www.BruceSpringsteen.net store has the boxset, a tshirt, and a poster for 115.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    oh and dont forget to set your DVRs tomorrow night,

Bruce on the Jimmy Fallon show.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Bruce is currently on E Street Radio. Some great insightful questions asked in the past hour.
  • Options
    Video of the entire Darkness Paramount performance and Houston 78 bootleg are currently available on itunes for $1.99 each!
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    Can't wait to hear the Promise. Hopefully getting it today! Darkness is one of my top 3 albums of all time.... Might have to get the vinyl of this for Xmas :D

Anyone given it a good listen yet?
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    DS114969 wrote:
    Video of the entire Darkness Paramount performance and Houston 78 bootleg are currently available on itunes for $1.99 each!

Looks like iTunes figured out their mistake. These are no longer available individually for $1.99.
  • Options
    Has anyone picked up the box set yet? Any thoughts on the Paramount, Thrill Hill Vault, or Houston DVDs? I'm still on the fence on buying it but would like to read some reviews from other fans on here.
  • Options
    jjheel13jjheel13 Durham, NC Posts: 222
    The 2009 performance of Darkness is worth the price alone. Might be the best music/concert dvd I've ever seen.
    Bristow 10
    Boston 10
    Moline 14
    Greenville 16
    Hampton 16
    Columbia 16
  • Options
    The whole thing is amazing. No nened to contemplate... especially that Paramount/Thrill Hill DVD.

Houston DVD goes on after dinner. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    does anyone know if you can buy just the remastered "Darkness" on cd? Or do you have to buy the entire box set? I just want the remaster, but wow, I have to spend all that to get it.
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
  • Options
    does anyone know if you can buy just the remastered "Darkness" on cd? Or do you have to buy the entire box set? I just want the remaster, but wow, I have to spend all that to get it.

Unfortunately, no. They should've done so though. Only the double-cd The Promise (previously unreleased songs) can be purchased separately.
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I'm so tempted to buy the box set because it looks so good...but I can't right now.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    KevDylan wrote:

Unfortunately, no. They should've done so though. Only the double-cd The Promise (previously unreleased songs) can be purchased separately.

How is the promise? I heard him play "save your love" on Fallon last night and it was awesome. Any other user reviews of the album?
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    KevDylan wrote:

How is the promise? I heard him play "save your love" on Fallon last night and it was awesome. Any other user reviews of the album?

First impressions after a few listens - I like it a lot, could almost be a 'lost Springsteen record' from around that period.. The weak points are that very few of the 'songs' seem as strong as the ones on darkness, some seem a bit lightweight but the high points are most of the vocals are sublime! If you like Bruce's vocals - the way he sings on Darkness on the Edge of Town I don't think you will be disappointed. Is making me remember how I felt when I first heard that album, something about the melancholy singing which is never really recreated on any other album. Well the Promise has this kind of singing in droves!! I need to listen a few more times before I make up my mind on the new songs, but purely for the singing alone, all the alternative versions of the known Bruce songs have been sending shivers down my spine. Definitely gonna get this set on vinyl - I need to hear that moody Because the Night sound filling up my living room!

edit: one thing I keep finding about this album is it keeps sending me off into a dreamy sleep! not in a bad way, I think it's just something in the tone of his Brucenesses' voice - something like a lullaby! :lol:
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    Jimmy Fallon s Episode with Bruce last night
    check out the Niel Young and Young Bruce Springsteen impression !

Full Episode:

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com ... 0/1260542/

Monologue:

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com ... 0/1260614/

"Pros & Cons" of The Promise box set:

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com ... 10/1260539

Whip My Hair Performance with "Neil Young":

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A ... 32&h=fc37a

Bruce Interview Part 1:

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com ... 10/1260634

Bruce Interview Part 2: http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com ... 10/1260636

Bruce Interview Part 3 (With Steven Van Zandt):

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com ... 10/1260635
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    From The Roots drummer (twitter post from a few mins ago):

"On Wednesday 17th November 2010, @questlove said:

man. we rehearsed those two songs for 90 mins. and that was like an olympic workout. i can only imagine and appreciate max weinberg drumming for 4 hours a night for the last 40+ years. i remember that link i put up about avoiding your heros at all cost (well....you know who was on the show)---and true to form that's exactly what i did. but today DEADED all that. bruce truly lived up to all of the expectations i had for any god like figure in this world. he was engaging, hilarious, full of great stories, educational, informative....and generally it really seemed like he enjoyed playing with us. he made it pleasant and fun. and teaching us a thing or two about having fun with dynamics and volume. i know i say it EVERYTIME someone comes on @latenightjimmy, but i truly had the time of my life today.

i appreciate the love from this network. if you enjoyed what you saw tonight i beg you to continue to support the roots in the most effective way possible: please buy our albums. if you don't know where to start you can start here

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/home-g ... id92043699

we have 12 albums. all of which we bled and put the same painstaking scrutiny as if our life depended on it.

thank you very much. december has a lot more surprises in store.

thank you!"
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    ^^^^ Nice story from the Roots drummer.

Picked up my box set last night. Have just ripped my CDs to play later today. Can't wait to watch the DVDs but I will have to wait till later this week so I can watch them properly. Trying not to devour the notebook in 1 setting - rationing it out. I was at the Houston show that is on the DVD, and I remember reading the newspaper review of it from the Chronicle, which was the paper we got, that is included in the notebook. It MAY even still be upstairs in a box somewhere.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    ^^^^ Nice story from the Roots drummer.

Picked up my box set last night. Have just ripped my CDs to play later today. Can't wait to watch the DVDs but I will have to wait till later this week so I can watch them properly. Trying not to devour the notebook in 1 setting - rationing it out. I was at the Houston show that is on the DVD, and I remember reading the newspaper review of it from the Chronicle, which was the paper we got, that is included in the notebook. It MAY even still be upstairs in a box somewhere.

Wow, lucky you!! Just finished watching the Houston DVD. It's perhaps the best rock & roll show ever captured on film.
  • Options
    That DVD is the sex. I think older, its interesting watching it again. I think I can see more now that even then he was something absolutely out of this world talent-wise. I'd forgotten how awesome some of those intros on songs like Prove it All Night were.

Watching and reading about the process of picking the Darkness songs was amazing. The intensity, the sheer work that went into putting that together. Based on the songs on The Promise, it is clear that he got it exactly right. It was also sad seeing Danny Federici talk, with him being gone now.
  • Options
    I didn't buy the box set right away 'cause I really didn't need to be spending that money...but it went down to $72 on amazon.com this weekend and I couldn't resist....can't wait till it arrives!
  • Options
    NBC re-airing Bruce on Jimmy Fallon tonight , in case you missed it the first time.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    ^^^^ Hulu had it too, which is where I watched it.