U N C L E *B R U C E* S P R I N G S T E E N *

Comments

• peacegirl wrote:
    I didn't buy the box set right away 'cause I really didn't need to be spending that money...but it went down to $72 on amazon.com this weekend and I couldn't resist....can't wait till it arrives!

got it yesterday and LOVE LOVE IT!
    so far I've only listened to the Promise and watched the Paramount/Thrill Hill DVD
    saw the making of DVD when it was on HBO but will watch it again
    and I'm saving the Houston DVD for this weekend
    then I think I'll devour the notebook
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    It's all cold down along the beach...

The wind's whippin' down the boardwalk...

And if you don't mind braving that kind of weather, we want to give you a chance to be there when Bruce Springsteen does a video shoot on the Jersey Shore next week!

Extra! Extra!

On Tuesday, December 7, Bruce will be convening the E Street Band on the Jersey Shore to play tracks from The Promise for a special future webcast. And unlike the Darkness '09 film, they don't want to play to nobody... so we've got the chance to send a small number of fans to be extras for the filming.

Bear in mind, this won't be a concert, exactly -- it's a shoot, with all the stops and starts that usually entails. And it's likely gonna be a cold, windy December afternoon, not in the cozy confines of previous Shore venues like the Paramount Theatre or Convention Hall. But it'll also be a unique opportunity to see Bruce and the Band in action and up close, working up performance debuts of songs from The Promise, and to be part of the small crowd in an intimate space when they capture it on film.

We'll be selecting a handful of fans by random drawing to be part of the audience, each able to bring one guest. To enter the drawing, all you need to do is send us an email (see details below). Please only enter IF:

· You're able to get yourself and your guest to the Jersey Shore on Tuesday, December 7, in the mid-afternoon.

· You're sure you can be there -- we want to get as many fans in as possible and may not be able to adjust for no-shows.

· You can make it on short notice -- all winners may not be notified until late Monday evening.

· You can stand the weather!

If that's you and you'd like to enter for a chance to be there, please send an email to <!-- e --><a href="mailto:thepromise@backstreets.com">thepromise@backstreets.com</a><!-- e --> with the following information.

For the subject line, type the name of the musician (a longtime Jackson Browne associate) who played violin on The Promise's version of "Racing in the Street."

In the body of the email, include your name and address (as it appears on your picture ID), as well as your cell phone (or other contact number) and preferred email address, for any and all notifications about Tuesday.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,834
    The Promise is absolutely amazing. 21 outstanding songs.

The Sirius/XM special four hour Promise special was incredible as well. I hope Pearl Jam does something like this or the documentary DVD in the future where they answer questions people care about and we can get a glimpse into the studio and creative process.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Darn it Bathgate! I'd love to be there, but I couldn't make it even if I was drawn. Are you entering? I hope you can go.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    JaneNY wrote:
    Darn it Bathgate! I'd love to be there, but I couldn't make it even if I was drawn. Are you entering? I hope you can go.

you know im entering.
    if i win , hopefully i can find someone to go with me.

;)
    platessmall.jpg
    JaneNY wrote:

only 15 people ( 30 with guests ) were selected,....
    and its at the carousel shell in asbury park.
    Its gonna be friggin freezing out there today,.....
    platessmall.jpg
  • Hopefully we'll get to see this performance before year end!
    Reading about the Carousel Shell,
    and the stain glass windows.
    Wind chill of 20 degrees,
    should be cold crisp day with the sunlight beaming through those stainglass windows and those songs being played off " The Promise".
    Thats one special day amd one special show only The Boss could come up with.
    platessmall.jpg
    platessmall.jpg
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    One of my favorites, if not my favorite, on "The Rising". Such a powerful song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT4Iw8oEKR8

Thank you Bruce.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    The Promise is absolutely amazing. 21 outstanding songs.

The Sirius/XM special four hour Promise special was incredible as well. I hope Pearl Jam does something like this or the documentary DVD in the future where they answer questions people care about and we can get a glimpse into the studio and creative process.

last night watching the making of..., i was thinking the same thing.

i found it interesting when it was said that for born to run they had 9 songs and all but 1 made it to the album but for darkness they had about 70 songs... and i am thankful for that to have been the case.

oh and did i mention how in love i am with the notebook?? brilliant.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I've just been getting intro Bruce, and I'm overwhelmed by his awesomeness.

Darkness On The Edge Of Town is stunning.
    Born To Run is unforgettable.
    Nebraska...WOW.

That's all I have so far, I really want to get that box set...it looks fantastic.

I think I could listen to Jungleland all day long...
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    dcfaithful wrote:

Nebraska...WOW.

That's all I have so far, I really want to get that box set...it looks fantastic.

The poets down here don't write nothing at all - they just stand back and let it all be

:D
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • dcfaithful wrote:

Nebraska...WOW.

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/bruce-springsteen/

Go there and check out the Winterland 1978 bootleg they have streaming. Mona/Preacher's Daughter/She's the One and one of the greatest renditions of Backstreets ever. If you're just getting into Bruce then a Backstreets from the 78 tour will blow you away.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Newch91 wrote:
    One of my favorites, if not my favorite, on "The Rising". Such a powerful song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT4Iw8oEKR8

Thank you Bruce.
    agreed
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Posts: 1,188
    I'm here to revive this thread. Some updates:

Another money grab!

COLUMBIA RECORDS TO RELEASE BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN'S "THE PROMISE: THE MAKING OF DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN" DOCUMENTARY FROM ACCLAIMED BOX SET AS SINGLE DVD/BLU-RAY WITH BONUS MATERIAL MAY 3

INCLUDES ADDITIONAL VIDEOS "SONGS FROM THE PROMISE" CONCERT EVENT FILMED IN ASBURY PARK, NJ AND INTIMATE Q&A SESSION "A CONVERSATION WITH HIS FANS"

Columbia Records will release Bruce Springsteen's "The Promise: The Making of Darkness On The Edge of Town" documentary on DVD and Blu-Ray May 3. The award-winning film will be accompanied by the bonus features "Songs From the Promise," a five-song concert event filmed in Asbury Park, NJ, and "A Conversation With His Fans," an intimate question-and-answer session.

"The Promise: The Making of Darkness On The Edge of Town" was directed by Grammy- and Emmy Award-winning filmmaker Thom Zimny. The film premiered on HBO and received a rapturous critical response around the world, including as an official selection, Toronto International Film Festival, The BFI London Film Festival, and The International Rome Film Festival. The Los Angeles Times gave 'The Promise' five stars, while Variety called it "thrilling--a vivid portrait."

The ninety-minute documentary combines never-before-seen footage of Springsteen and the E Street Band shot between 1976 and 1978—including home rehearsals and studio sessions—with new interviews with Springsteen, E Street Band members, manager Jon Landau, former-manager Mike Appel, and others closely involved in the making of the record.

The film was also included in the 2010 box set 'The Promise: The Darkness on the Edge of Town Story,' which Rolling Stone called "extraordinary [and] fascinating" and The Washington Post described as "a revelation."

"Songs From The Promise" was filmed before an audience of approximately sixty fans in December, 2010, in Asbury Park, NJ's historic carousel house. For this one-time concert event, Springsteen and members of the E Street Band lineup—Clarence Clemons, Stevie Van Zandt, Max Weinberg, Roy Bittan, and Gary Tallent—were joined by keyboardist Charles Giordano, a full horn section—Ed Manion, Barry Danielian, Curt Ramm, Clark Gayton and Stan Harrison—and special guest David Lindley, who played violin during the original recording sessions. Directed and edited by Zimny and mixed by Emmy-winner Bob Clearmountain, the concert features the only live E Street Band performances of four tracks from 'The Promise' plus "Blue Christmas."

"Songs From The Promise" Tracklist:
    1. "Racing in the Street ('78)
    2. "Gotta Get That Feeling"
    3. "Ain't Good Enough For You"
    4. "The Promise"
    5, "Blue Christmas"

Hosted by music critic and Springsteen biographer Dave Marsh, "A Conversation With His Fans" is an intimate, 22-minute question-and-answer session featuring Springsteen at his most candid. Before a small audience in the studios of Sirius XM's E Street Radio channel, Springsteen discusses the writing and recording of 'Darkness on the Edge of Town' and the decision to release the extensive collection of songs that didn't make the record. "We worked hard on the music that we didn't put out," Springsteen tells one fan. "The nice thing about it is it's still there, it hasn't gone anywhere--and I think we're at a point where it's nice to have the stuff sufficiently see the light of day." Questions are intercut with highlights from the 'The Promise' box set, including the Paramount Theater concert and rare archival footage from 1978.
    http://newyorkpost.com/p/entertainment/ ... XMyF2t89TO

16.1e041.rock1--300x300.jpg

Alice Cooper groped his snake (a real boa), Elton John wiped a tear and Neil Diamond dropped a couple of F-bombs at one of the strangest induction ceremonies the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has presented in its 26 years.

The five-hour event Monday at the Waldorf-Astoria bordered on the surreal when Diamond and Cooper belted "Da Doo Ron Ron" arm in arm.

SEE ALL THE PHOTOS!

Other memorable musical moments included a guest appearance by Bruce Springsteen during inductee Darlene Love's set, along with a stunningly beautiful guitar solo by John Mayer, who accompanied inductee Leon Russell on Russell's ballad "A Song for You."

Dave Allocca/Startraks Photo
    Darlene Love performs with Bruce Springsteen at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony
    But the night was more about speeches -- about three hours' worth -- than music, with Love and Diamond expressing thoughts on joining the hall after at least two decades of eligibility, each in their own way.

Love, who referred to "the gatekeepers" who always kept her out, was reduced to tears. "In July, I'll turn 73," Love said. "This is the best gift I could ever have. I've given 50 years of my life to music. It has culminated in this moment."

After a sardonic induction speech for Diamond by Paul Simon, who repeatedly asked, "What took so long?" the "Solitary Man" singer hit the stage dressed neatly in black.

Diamond thanked the fans for their support. But to the music-industry types in the crowd, he said: "I want to thank all of you, even if you didn't vote for me," adding that he was getting back to his world tour -- "I'm flying to Sydney f - - - ing Australia, 'cause they love me there."

But Diamond shook it off for his performance, rousing the stuffy, tux-clad house with hits including "Cherry, Cherry" and "Sweet Caroline."

During a "Caroline" singalong, Diamond hopped off the stage and into the crowd. Stopping by Springsteen, he urged him, "Come on, Bruce, sing it." The Boss reluctantly croaked a couple of lines, and Diamond told him, "You keep practicing, and you'll go places."

In a moving speech, Russell brought tears to Elton John's eyes, thanking John for remembering him and for his help over the past year in making the record "Union."

Reacting to his honor, gravel-voiced Tom Waits quipped: "Someday I hope to hear, 'Hey, Mac, take the cuffs off him. I think he's a Hall of Famer," while Dr. John said he felt blessed "to still be breathing."

A gracious Cooper, with a boa constrictor draped over his fake-blood-splattered shirt, was brief in describing his group: "We've always been a hard-rock band -- we just decorated it differently."

He added, "I'd like to tell you all that being inducted means we'll never embarrass you, but I can't really make that promise. That's what we do."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/m ... z1GoCWT8qa
    platessmall.jpg
    http://www.bostonherald.com/track/insid ... position=6

Will the Dropkicks Bring Their Boss?
    By Gayle Fee and Laura Raposa / Inside Track
    Friday, March 18, 2011

Don’t breathe a word of this. Because nobody’s supposed to know. But word on Lansdowne Street is that the Dropkick Murphys will have a very special guest onstage with them at their sold-out House of Blues show tonight — none other than The Boss himself, Bruce Springsteen.

No one’s talking for the record, but two sources close to the band told Herald music man Jim Sullivan that Springsteen is expected to join the Celtic punk rockers on “Peg O’ My Heart,” the tune they collaborated on for the Dropkicks’ new CD, “Going Out In Style.” They’ll also reportedly team up on the Jersey icon’s “Badlands,” which the Dropkicks have covered, and possibly a few more tunes.

Sadly, the show has been sold out for weeks, so forget trying to worm your way in.

“The guest list is even maxxed out,” said one Murphy, who will no doubt be getting lots of calls from long lost pals.

“Peg O’ My Heart,” the first single off the Dropkicks’ new album, was written in 1913 and revamped by the Murphys, a la “Tessie” and “I’m Shipping Up to Boston.” BTW, both of bassist Ken Casey’s grandmothers are named Peg, and both are Springsteen fans. Expect them — and a lot of other family members — to be in da House tonight.

The Dropkicks met The Boss five years ago, when Springsteen popped in on a New York show.

“He came back afterwards and introduced himself,” Casey told Rolling Stone in January. “We were just blown away, but we really hit it off. He’s since invited us to play with him a few times.”

Late last year, the band sent Springsteen a link to “Peg O’ My Heart.”

“It had this ’50s rock ’n’ roll vibe,” Casey told the magazine. “We were like, ‘This sounds like something that the E Street Band would pull out.’ That’s how we got the idea to invite Bruce to sing on it.

“All we said was, ‘We thought it would be great to trade off verses,’ ” Casey said. “You don’t really give The Boss instructions.”

Except, maybe, where to park on Lansdowne Street . . .Paul Verrette
    platessmall.jpg
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Bathgate, you're usually a good source for Springsteen news. I saw a rumor about him entering the studio for a possible new album to be released late 2011/early 2012. You seen anything about this?
    I've heard the E Street Band is touring in 2012?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Posts: 1,188
    Newch91 wrote:

I think the only source so far is from Max Weinberg, who said to the press a while back that they'd be touring sooner than later.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Bathgate, you're usually a good source for Springsteen news. I saw a rumor about him entering the studio for a possible new album to be released late 2011/early 2012. You seen anything about this?

Well, he has a huge studio in his home up in Rumson.
    He regularly works at home, from what I understand.
    Havent seen any news about this yet, but I am always peeking and spying at BTX, the backstreets message forums.
    Of course if I hear anything, i'll be sure to post it here .
    As Im sure you already know, Philly is a HUGE Springsteen city/stop. Ive been to dozens of shows down there .
    platessmall.jpg
    Newch91 wrote:

I think the only source so far is from Max Weinberg, who said to the press a while back that they'd be touring sooner than later.

Yes this is true . I attended the big screen premiere of the concert footage of Darkness On The Edge Of Town in the city a few months back. Mighty Max appeared along with Zinny ( director / producer ) and he said this exact thing in the question and answer session.
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Yes this is true . I attended the big screen premiere of the concert footage of Darkness On The Edge Of Town in the city a few months back. Mighty Max appeared along with Zinny ( director / producer ) and he said this exact thing in the question and answer session.
    Sweet! This means I'll probably be able to see them live for the first time!
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    maybe i'll finally get to see thunder road live
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Bathgate66 wrote:

As Im sure you already know, Philly is a HUGE Springsteen city/stop. Ive been to dozens of shows down there .

Yeah, I've seen him 12 times. Hit 5 of the 6 spectrum shows last time he was around in 2009. Also seen him at MSG, Giants Stadium, Gillette Stadium, and down in South Florida (that show was originally cancelled when Danny passed).

Always liked Springsteen, but didn't see my first show until around 5 years ago. His shows are incredible.

I was blown away when he played Seaside Bar Song at the Spectrum. Still waiting to hear Lost in the Flood live...
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... e-20110330

main.jpg

Bruce Springsteen to Appear on 'Little Steven's Underground Garage'Springsteen to make his first appearance on E Street Band guitarist Steven Van Zandt's radio show

March 30, 2011 9:55 AM ET
    After nine years on the air, Bruce Springsteen will make his debut as a guest on E Street Band guitarist Steven Van Zandt's Little Steven's Underground Garage radio show in April. Springsteen will appear on a series of episodes airing on April 1st, 8th and 15th to celebrate the show's ninth anniversary. The shows were recorded earlier this month at Van Zandt's studio in Manhattan.

Van Zandt told the New York Times that he had been inviting Springsteen to appear on the show since it began but the timing had never worked out until recently. Once he finally booked his longtime collaborator, Van Zandt says he made a point of not preparing much for the talk, aiming for a spontaneous conversation between two old friends. He mentioned one particularly inspired moment in the interview in which Springsteen picked up his guitar to show how his song "Prove It All Night" lifts its chord progression from the Animals tune "Don't Let Me Be Understood."
    platessmall.jpg
    http://www.app.com/article/20110331/NJO ... nav%7Chead

bilde?Site=B3&Date=20110331&Category=NJOPINION02&ArtNo=103310303&Ref=AR&MaxW=300&Border=0

Thank you for your March 27 front-page story by Michael Symons, "As poverty rises, cuts target aid." The article is one of the few that highlights the contradictions between a policy of large tax cuts, on the one hand, and cuts in services to those in the most dire conditions, on the other.

(Click here to see the article: As poverty rises, NJ cuts target aid.)
    Also, you've shone some light on anti-poverty workers and analysts such as Adele LaTourette, Meara Nigro, Cecilia Zalkind and Raymond Castro, among others, all of whom have something important to add to the discussion: real information and actual facts about what is happening below the poverty line.
    These are voices that in our current climate are having a hard time being heard, not just in New Jersey, but nationally. Finally, your article shows that the cuts are eating away at the lower edges of the middle class, not just those already classified as in poverty, and are likely to continue to get worse over the next few years. I'm always glad to see my hometown newspaper covering these issues.
    Bruce Springsteen
    COLTS NECK
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    http://www.app.com/article/20110331/NJOPINION02/103310303/Bruce-Springsteen-Letter-Editor-Story-poverty-aid-cuts-gives-voice-voiceless?odyssey=nav|head

bilde?Site=B3&Date=20110331&Category=NJOPINION02&ArtNo=103310303&Ref=AR&MaxW=300&Border=0

Thank you for your March 27 front-page story by Michael Symons, "As poverty rises, cuts target aid." The article is one of the few that highlights the contradictions between a policy of large tax cuts, on the one hand, and cuts in services to those in the most dire conditions, on the other.

(Click here to see the article: As poverty rises, NJ cuts target aid.)
    Also, you've shone some light on anti-poverty workers and analysts such as Adele LaTourette, Meara Nigro, Cecilia Zalkind and Raymond Castro, among others, all of whom have something important to add to the discussion: real information and actual facts about what is happening below the poverty line.
    These are voices that in our current climate are having a hard time being heard, not just in New Jersey, but nationally. Finally, your article shows that the cuts are eating away at the lower edges of the middle class, not just those already classified as in poverty, and are likely to continue to get worse over the next few years. I'm always glad to see my hometown newspaper covering these issues.
    Bruce Springsteen
    COLTS NECK
    He's awesome. I'm glad that he's always been for the middle class.
    The Official Bruce Springsteen store has some really cool lithographs, and other web exclusive goodies there, also.

http://brucespringsteen.fanfire.com/cgi ... l&AID=1562

enjoy and you're welcome !
    platessmall.jpg