U N C L E *B R U C E* S P R I N G S T E E N *

Comments

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    at least someone else gets it.

i just dont get how you could say something negative about bruce, as a live act or a musician. you dont have to love him, but if you are a fan of music in general, you have to respect him as an artist and a performer. i know plenty of people who dont like him, but do respect him. he's bruce.
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    i just dont get how you could say something negative about bruce, as a live act or a musician. you dont have to love him, but if you are a fan of music in general, you have to respect him as an artist and a performer. i know plenty of people who dont like him, but do respect him. he's bruce.

Bruce aside, if any artist is out on the road, touring in support of their new album, you're goiung to hear the majority of tracks off of that new album.

common sense.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Bruce aside, if any artist is out on the road, touring in support of their new album, you're goiung to hear the majority of tracks off of that new album.

common sense.

yep... although i feel this has turned into two people going back and forth who understand the deal and the person who made that comment is no longer present.
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    stranger34 wrote:
    Instead he plays his tedious new shit of which only 1 out of 3 songs is even listenable,

Its funny your wrote this cause on rec.music.artists.springsteen a lot of the Bruce fans there keep complaining that he isn't playing enough of Magic and that he is playing too many old songs.

I saw him a couple of months ago and was ok with the new stuff but the show overall just didn't do it for me, it was good but not great, might have to do with me comparing it to the last time I saw Bruce, Neil Young, REM and John Fogerty also were there and kicked some major ass.
  • ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    An impressive thing to note is that Bruce is STILL gaining new fans, even at this late stage in his career. I'm a prime example, always knew of Bruce and had heard one or two but in the last year i've become a huge fan and acquited most of his material.

I finally saw him live at the end of May in Manchester, and as a Springsteen concert virgin i couldn't have cared less what the setlist was. My girlfriend and I were front row and had the time of our lives. At 22 years old, we weren't the youngest fans there. Bruce dedicated Growin' Up to a 6 year-old kid, so that's another youngster growing up as a fan.

Bruce may have a huge catalogue, but at this stage he's earned enough respect to not have to play anything he doesn't want. Everyone at the show seemed grateful to be there and grateful that the E Street Band was still playing music. I can't ask for much more than that.

Now, if only i could get my time machine working and go back to see some of the classic shows! :)
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

Bruce may have a huge catalogue, but at this stage he's earned enough respect to not have to play anything he doesn't want. Everyone at the show seemed grateful to be there and grateful that the E Street Band was still playing music. I can't ask for much more than that.

Now, if only i could get my time machine working and go back to see some of the classic shows! :)

He is The Boss afterall ,not only in the band, but the way he has even 90,000 people eating out of the palm of his hand.

And, fear not- at least you can relive some oif the old stuff- starting with The Hammersmith Odeon from over across the Pond in 1979 .
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    He is The Boss afterall ,not only in the band, but the way he has even 90,000 people eating out of the palm of his hand.

And, fear not- at least you can relive some oif the old stuff- starting with The Hammersmith Odeon from over across the Pond in 1979 .

Oh i'm already there; bought the BTR 30th Anniversary Boxset a few weeks ago! Also just got done downloading and watching 'Breathless in Paris' and i'm currently downloading the last night in Shea Stadium DVD from 2003.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

the last night in Shea Stadium DVD from 2003.

i was there (( at every one ))

phenomenal show(s) !
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:

phenomenal show(s) !

Daaaaamn, lucky man! The review on the Jungleland website alone was enough for me to download it!

I used to have the Milano 2003 DVD where it poured with rain, but i've lost it!

Seeing as you seem to be the Springsteen master around these parts, i'd love if we could arrange a b&p sometime?

• born2runqtborn2runqt Posts: 109
    Bathgate66 wrote:

phenomenal show(s) !

I was there at every show also.
    ...tramps like us...

I miss you Daddy.....10/12/07
    Seeing as you seem to be the Springsteen master around these parts, i'd love if we could arrange a b&p sometime?

hardly the master ( thats mr mccready )
    :)

no but seriously alltho i am a huge fan, there are plenty more Message Pitters around here who are even more knowledgable / obssessive then I .

but sure perhaps we could work on some kind of B & P after the dust settles.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Well now, everything dies, baby, thats a fact
    But maybe everything that dies someday comes back
    Put your makeup on, fix your hair up pretty
    And meet me tonight in atlantic city
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
    :eek:

take a deep breath before you click on this snippet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNVhEtkZ-zo
    platessmall.jpg
    Drive All Night always came off as a weak track to me. it worked much better as the "Backstreets suite" from the Darkness tour. a 9 minute Backstreets with Bruce repeating at the end, "girl we've got to stop/girl it's time to stop/stop/stop/stop/stop/STOP" and the stage went black. right back into the final "hiding on the backstreets..."

really diggin the cover art to the new digital EP coming out next week, FYI.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    Drive All Night always came off as a weak track to me. it worked much better as the "Backstreets suite" from the Darkness tour. a 9 minute Backstreets with Bruce repeating at the end, "girl we've got to stop/girl it's time to stop/stop/stop/stop/stop/STOP" and the stage went black. right back into the final "hiding on the backstreets..."

really diggin the cover art to the new digital EP coming out next week, FYI.
    Digital EP?
  • Bummy213Bummy213 Posts: 25
    I love Drive All Night.......I'd give my left testicle to hear it in Hershey. Okay maybe not that much, but I'd dig it.
    OK, i'm looking for a history lesson...

I was watching the MTV Unplugged DVD, and thoroughly enjoying it. I realised i know next to nothing about the 'Other Band' so i went to Wikipedia because i thought that might be the easiest place to get some basic info.

Some of the things on Wikipedia surprised me; while i thought it was cool that Bruce and he band ignored the 'Unplugged' format after one song and played full band for the rest, Wikipedia says that Bruce lost confidence in the band after one song and changed to electric right there and then. Is that true??

Now, i can also understand that a lot of loyal fans may not have been so happy when Bruce dissolved the E Street Band and played with a sessions band, but was it really that bad? I happen to think the band sounds great, and the Unplugged show is great although Wikipedia says it was received poorly and was a disaster. Why was that the case?

I happen to think a bunch of tracks from Lucky Town and Human Touch are some of his best songs, even if they are more optimistic in sound. Were fans really that appalled by the new sound back in 1992? Was it such a bad thing that Bruce sounded happier?

In a way, i feel lucky because it's only in the last year or so that i've become a big Springsteen fan so i missed all the controversy. I like most of his albums and don't understand what the big fuss was concerning the 'other band'. They sound good to me.

So, there we go. If anyone can fill me on and give me a proper idea of what the feelings were back then, that would be great! Thanks!

One more question - how bad was the apparent 'controversy' in 2000 when Springsteen debuted 'American Skin'?

p.s. I watched the Amnesty International DVD from 1988 for the first time last night, and the performance of Twist n' Shout may be the single greatest thing i've ever seen from any musical act ever.

Digital EP?
    http://backstreets.com/news.html a little down the page. 4 song EP
    1.Always A Friend with Alejandro Escovedo
    2.The Ghost Of Tom Joad with Tom Morello
    3.Turn! Turn! Turn! with Roger McGuinn
    4.4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy) with Danny
    only 2 more weeks till the Big Show rolls into town for 3 at Bruces House.

what better way to get over overdosing on pearl jam for 2 weeks.

so psyched !
    platessmall.jpg
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Is anyone going to the MA show?
    There are still single tix, but they are total nosebleeds.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Is anyone going to the MA show?
    There are still single tix, but they are total nosebleeds.

no but i think i may be going to newark.
    platessmall.jpg
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    no but i think i may be going to newark.

enjoy the boston show trixiecat .

Oh I am not sure if I am going.
    I don't know if I want to sit way up there. :eek:
    I was spoiled when I saw him in Hartford. :)
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • born2runqtborn2runqt Posts: 109
    Hoping for a "special guest" in New Jersey - I will be there.
    ...tramps like us...

I miss you Daddy.....10/12/07
    CHRISTMAS IN JULY: SANTA VISITS HELSINKI, JULY 11
    A gorgeous Friday night in Helsinki for the last show on the Scandinavian leg of the tour. A sunny day in the mid-70s cooled down to mid-60s by the time the show began at 8 p.m. Olympia Stadion is a well-kept venue built in the 1950s, complete with a real grass field which gave the event a very park-like feel. The walk from the city center to the stadium is undoubtedly one of the most pleasant of all of the venues, a short 15-20 minute stroll through a park teeming with gardens, ponds and people having picnics, sunbathing (yes they do that in Finland) and some even engaged in pre-show festivities. Helsinki is a very refined, city and the reserved crowd seemed to reflect that: there wasn't the rabid passion that was evident in, say, Goteborg, but the audience was warm, appreciative, and even polite. Unlike Sweden, Finland hasn't been a regular stop for Bruce and the band over the years (much to the disappointment of some of the locals I talked to), so I didn't really have any particular expectation about the night prior to the event . And I certainly didn't expect a 31-song show with an eight-song encore, which ended a bit later than the 11 p.m. curfew the locals insisted had to be adhered to.

Hard to find many faults with this show -- strong set list, good energy, and near perfect sound. Highlights in the main set were three "summer specials": "Summertime Blues," "Sherry Darling," and "Sandy." Bruce collected signs during the long intro of "Summertime Blues" and made a few comments about the short Finland summer and long winter and made a funny remark about Santa Claus possibly being from Finland. "I'll Work for Your Love" was a "small" request which Bruce honored and was a pleasant surprise. But the night's real power was the three-pack of "Candy's Room," "Youngstown," and "Murder Incorporated." :eek: With "Because the Night" not in tonight's setlist, Nils was showcased in "Youngstown" -- previously performed only once by Bruce on this tour, solo-acoustic -- and it was searing. "Point Blank" was also a surprise, a request from someone who Bruce said had been "chasing [him] around for a while." "Born in the U.S.A." was nicely weaved into the four-pack (now five-pack) to end the set, was very well received by the locals, and Garry W. Tallent's bass work was exceptional. It felt as though there were a sub-woofer beneath the field.

As good as all this was, it wasn't until the encore that the locals really seemed to rock out. An eight-song stunner, which didn't end with "American Land." After that traditional closer, Bruce went on a hunt for a particular sign he had seen earlier in the night, found it, continued his story about Santa being from Finland, and then the band broke into a surprise mid-summer version of "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town (complete with some great Ho-Ho-Hos from Clarence) just for Finland. The locals ate it up, and the band wasn't done. They went straight into "Twist and Shout" to close, and even the most reserved Finns seemed to be up and dancing at this point. A nice Scandinavian send-off as the band packs up and heads down to Spain.

Next: One week left for the European tour: that's four shows in Spain, beginning Tuesday in San Sebastian.

who the hell else can get away with playing santa claus is coming to town- in finland- in July--- than Bruce Springsteen. ? :confused:
    He is afterall, The Boss.
    :cool:

only 4 more european shows on this leg, then only a week or so before Giants stadium kicks offf,....

and, maybe a guest appearance with mr vedder in newark in between stops ?

that would be very cool .

the 2 of them together onstage - acoustic ?
    platessmall.jpg
  • frusciante89frusciante89 Posts: 125
    Ed's solo tour ends the 22nd in Chicago and he I am seeing the Boss on the 24th in KC. I can dream can't I?
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    Ed's solo tour ends the 22nd in Chicago and he I am seeing the Boss on the 24th in KC. I can dream can't I?

Sorry man, but Ed is going to the St. Louis show on the 23rd and flying over KC...at least...I hope so
    i dont know about all these other shows / dates,

but Bruce & ESB are back from europe and resting up before the tour resumes here in the states( on a larger , upscale level in outdoor stadiums.)

during eds solo show in newark, id say this is the most likely show there might be a meet up of any sort.

again , purely speculation of course.

platessmall.jpg
  • mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    8/1 in Boston is a possibility
    mulva9 wrote:
    8/1 in Boston is a possibility

how do you figure

when bruce lives in rumson, probably less then 20 miles from newark ?

:confused:
    platessmall.jpg
  • mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    He's playing in MA the next night.