U N C L E *B R U C E* S P R I N G S T E E N *

Comments

• Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Deepest Condolences to the Federici Family, Bruce, & The E Street Band,
    as good as XCharles Giordanno fills in , there will still be an empty space onstage .

Proof that every day should be lived as if it is your last.

God Bless & Rest Your Soul,, Danny .
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • given2fly10given2fly10 Posts: 485
    rip danny

:(
    And he still gives his love, he just gives it away, The love he receives is the love that is saved, And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky, A human being that was given to fly

no bed=no brian

coke sucks
    ii44 wrote:
    I'm not entirely sure, but I think Phantom Dan has been playing with Bruce the longest, he along with Clarence, and Garry W. Talent were the remaining original members of the E St. Band.

I'm glad I got to see the ESB band proper on The Rising tour because seeing the ESB wasn't quite the same without him there.

A SAD DAY ON E STREET

Bruce Springsteen on Danny Federici, posted at http://www.brucespringsteen.net:

"Danny and I worked together for 40 years - he was the most wonderfully fluid keyboard player and a pure natural musician. I loved him very much... we grew up together."

You can also watch video there of Danny's final performance with the E Street Band, less than a month ago in Indianapolis.

Read the Associated Press story here.

Any other media looking to celebrate Danny Federici and mark his passing, we'd like to help: please go to our Downloads page for a high-res photo of Danny and Bruce together, which can be used free on a non-exclusive basis.

And a Backstreets Magazine update: the new issue, #87, is at the printers, but today we've stopped the presses momentarily in order to at least add the news of Danny's passing. Apologies for the additional delay, but it had to be done. A full tribute to Phantom Dan will be in the issue that follows, #88.

- April 18, 2008 - photograph by Robert Bader - Hampton, VA, March 2, 1981

DANNY FEDERICI, 1950 - 2008
    Danny Federici, the E Street Band's organist and keyboard player since its inception, died this afternoon, April 17, 2008 at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York City after a three-year battle with melanoma.

The Federici family and the E Street family request that, in lieu of flowers, donations be made to the Danny Federici Melanoma Fund; more details on the Fund will be forthcoming.

The Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band concerts scheduled for Friday in Ft. Lauderdale and Saturday in Orlando are being postponed. Replacement dates will be announced shortly.

We extend our deepest sympathies to Danny's family, friends, bandmates, and blood brothers; we here at Backstreets, and surely all those fans touched by his spirit, mourn with you.
    - April 17, 2008 - photograph by A.M. Saddler
    platessmall.jpg
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696

I feel very fortunate to have been at the 11/19/07 show in Boston, which as it turns out, was Danny's last full show with the band.

RIP DANNY!

If anyone has Sirius, they are playing the Boston show today at 5pm PDT 8pm Eastern on channel 10.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
    The Asbury Park Press:

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080418/NEWS/804180475

NEW YORK — Danny Federici, the E Street Band's organist and keyboard player since its inception whose stylish work helped define the band's sound, died Thursday after a three-year battle with melanoma.

Federici, 58, a Flemington native, died at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York City. News of his death was posted late Thursday night on Bruce Springsteen's official Web site, http://www.brucespringsteen.net.

He had performed with Springsteen longer than any other E Streeter, playing with him in bands such as "Child," and "Steel Mill," before the E Street Band was formed.

Federici was also a regular at The Upstage, the legendary Asbury Park club where Shore artists honed their skills in all-night jam sessions. Among his most notable E Street performances were his organ playing on the hit "Hungry Heart" and the accordion solo on "4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)."

"Danny and I worked together for 40 years -- he was the most wonderfully fluid keyboard player and a pure natural musician. I loved him very much ... we grew up together,'' Springsteen said in a statement posted on his Web site.

In November, Federici took a leave of absence from the E Street Band to battle melanoma following an emotional send-off at the Nov. 19 Boston show.

During that show, Springsteen frequently allowed Federici to take the spotlight during songs like "Kitty's Back" with its extended organ solo, "This Hard Land," "E Street Shuffle" and "Sandy."

Following the last song that night, Federici had tears in his eyes as the crowd chanted his name. Federici made only one more appearance with the E Streeters, on March 20 in Indianapolis, in which he again played "Sandy" and several other songs.

When he announced Federici's plan to take a leave of absence from the band, Springsteen described him as "one of the pillars of our sound." A clip of part of Federici's last E Street performance in Indianapolis can be seen on Springsteen's Web site, http://www.brucespringsteen.net.

In a 1998 interview with the Asbury Park Press, Federici spoke about the first time he saw Springsteen perform.

Said the musician: "When (drummer) Vini Lopez and I first saw Bruce play at The Upstage Club — because we were pretty much playing at the same time — we basically said, "We've gotta have this guy in our band.' So we decided to start a band.

"So he (Springsteen) quit Earth to put a band together with me and Vini. And we found a bass player, Vinnie Roslin. And that band was called Child. And that's how the whole switcheroo thing — getting him out of Freehold — began."

Federici also reminisced about jobs he worked around the Shore area before joining Springsteen's E Street Band.

"I was an electrician for a while," Federici told the Press. "I worked construction. Actually, Allan Berger — he was the bassist with Southside (Johnny Lyon) for a while — his dad was the super on a construction job I worked. A couple of times, I worked at a paper place up in Wanamassa (in Ocean Township). And of course, I worked in a surfboard factory with "Tinker' (Carl West), Bruce's first manager — Steel Mill and Child's first manager. He'd throw us a few bucks."

Said Federici of his early Asbury Park days: "I lived on Bangs Avenue for a while, almost right across from the police station. I had to move closer to the buses and the trains — I lost my license as a kid."

Federici was often introduced in concert by Springsteen as "Phantom Dan," a nickname the keyboarder got following the night in 1970 Springsteen and his band Steel Mill went head to head with Middletown Police Chief Joe McCarthy.

When a concert at a swim club did not shut down promptly at 10 p.m., police stormed onstage and ended the performance. Twenty-one people, nine of them juveniles, were arrested on a variety of drug and assault charges.

"I could see the cops were getting ready to do something, so I went backstage and pulled the plug on the band," Richard Kleva, who arranged for the concert, said afterward.

The crowd immediately began to shout to turn the music back on. A roadie for Steel Mill plugged the amplifiers back in. Then the police took the stage, and bedlam broke loose.

McCarthy was injured when an amplifier toppled over onto him. Witnesses said one police officer on stage jabbed Springsteen in the ribs with a nightstick, while others chased Federici.

After the concert, warrants were issued for Federici's arrest, because the police believed he had purposely knocked the amplifier onto McCarthy.

"I was a fugitive," Federici recalled in an interview in a book on Springsteen published by the Springsteen fan magazine Backstreets. At several Steel Mill shows after the Middletown concert, police were waiting to arrest Federici, he said in the book. So Springsteen devised a plan.

Steel Mill usually closed its concerts with a song called "Resurrection," during which Springsteen would pull people out of the audience to dance onstage. When the stage was crowded with dancers, Federici would slip away, and the police would lose him in the crowd.

Federici eventually turned himself in, but nothing came of the charges.

In a band with larger-than-life characters like saxophonist Clarence Clemons and bandana-wrapped guitarist Little Steven Van Zandt, Federici was content to play in his familiar position to the side of the stage. But his playing was as vital to Springsteen's live show as any instrument in the band.

Federici released a pair of solo albums that veered from the E Street sound and into soft jazz. Bandmates Nils Lofgren on guitar and Garry Tallent on bass joined Federici on his 1997 debut, "Flemington." In 2005, Federici released its follow-up, "Out of a Dream."

Besides his work with Springsteen, Federici played on albums by an impressive roster of other artists: Van Zandt, Joan Armatrading, Graham Parker, Gary U.S. Bonds and Garland Jeffreys.

Springsteen concerts scheduled for today in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and Saturday in Orlando were postponed following the news of Federici's death.

The Associated Press contributed to this story. This story contains material previously published by the Press.
    platessmall.jpg
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i've heard this story before on why Danny was called the Phantom and it never gets old!! go back and watch the clips from 1973 on the Born To Run box when they play "Thundercrack", "Wild Billy's Circus Story" and "Spirit In The Night". love Danny's moustache.
    still cant believe dannys gone. :(

so sad

platessmall.jpg
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    ^^^ I know - if I start hearing Sandy (4th of July) in my head I feel like crying.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • HOOKERHOOKER Posts: 1,443
    Still very sad.
    Nice to know you.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Just heard. It's sad sad news. RIP Danny :(
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
    platessmall.jpg
    there's folks over on BTX talking about how Springsteen should release Danny's last show from Boston as a tribute to him. not a bad idea if you ask me!
    there's folks over on BTX talking about how Springsteen should release Danny's last show from Boston as a tribute to him. not a bad idea if you ask me!

id have to buy it.

:)
    platessmall.jpg
    from the backstreets:

http://slatev.com/player.html?id=1509297894

enjoy !

platessmall.jpg
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    from the backstreets:

http://slatev.com/player.html?id=1509297894

enjoy !

Brilliant!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    OMG:eek:

:eek:

2 back to back punchouts

tampa:

Setlist:
    Backstreets
    Radio Nowhere
    Lonesome Day
    No Surrender
    Gypsy Biker
    4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)
    Growin' Up
    Atlantic City
    Because the Night
    Darkness on the Edge of Town
    She's the One
    Livin' in the Future
    The Promised Land
    Waitin' on a Sunny Day
    Brilliant Disguise
    Racing in the Street
    The Rising
    Last to Die
    Long Walk Home
    Badlands
    Out in the Street
    I'll Fly Away
    Rosalita
    Born to Run
    Tenth Avenue Freeze-out
    American Land

orlando:

Setlist:
    Blood Brothers (Alt. Version)
    Night
    Radio Nowhere
    Out in the Street
    Spirit in the Night
    The River
    Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street?
    Candy's Room
    Prove It All Night
    She's the One
    Livin' in the Future
    The Promised Land
    Fire
    Lost in the Flood
    Devil's Arcade
    The Rising
    Last to Die
    Long Walk Home
    Badlands
    Turn! Turn! Turn! (with Roger McGuinn)
    Mr. Tambourine Man (with Roger McGuinn)
    Jungleland
    Born to Run
    Dancing in the Dark
    American Land

wow
    platessmall.jpg
  • HOOKERHOOKER Posts: 1,443
    double WOW
    Nice to know you.
    word to your mother. when i told my father that Bruce pulled out the ALT version of Blood Brother he nearly shit himself.

Lost In The Flood should be a concert staple at this point to all those first time fans who don't know this song.

like i said, word to your mother.
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    I was finally able to get the Blood Brothers EP.
    I bought it from an Amazon seller for $23.00 with shipping.
    It was brand new and came packaged with the VHS movie.
    The different version of Blood Brothers is amazing.
    The other (2) new songs are not my favorites.
    The live version of Murder Inc is not as good as the NYC version.
    Still worth it just for Blood Brothers alone.

Can't believe he opened with it last night.
    Must have sounded great.........
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    tampa:

Setlist:
    Backstreets
    Radio Nowhere
    Lonesome Day
    No Surrender
    Gypsy Biker
    Growin' Up
    Atlantic City
    Because the Night
    She's the One
    Livin' in the Future
    The Promised Land
    Waitin' on a Sunny Day
    Brilliant Disguise
    Racing in the Street
    The Rising
    Last to Die
    Long Walk Home
    Badlands
    Out in the Street
    I'll Fly Away
    Rosalita
    Born to Run
    Tenth Avenue Freeze-out
    American Land

If I was at that show, I'd kill myself afterwards because my life would be complete. Backstreets (to open!), Darkness, Tenth Ave, Out in the Street, Atlantic City, Growin Up, Racing in the Street.... holy bananas. Wish I was there!
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    Is there a studio version of "Lost In The Flood", and if so----where can a guy get it?
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Is there a studio version of "Lost In The Flood", and if so----where can a guy get it?

Greetings From Asbury Park, dude... classic stuff.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • ashtrayrockashtrayrock Posts: 167
    lost in the flood

that wud b something else
    For Those About To Rock !

Art changes people. People change the world.
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    OMG:eek:

2 back to back punchouts

tampa:

Setlist:
    Backstreets
    Radio Nowhere
    Lonesome Day
    No Surrender
    Gypsy Biker
    Growin' Up
    Atlantic City
    Because the Night
    She's the One
    Livin' in the Future
    The Promised Land
    Waitin' on a Sunny Day
    Brilliant Disguise
    Racing in the Street
    The Rising
    Last to Die
    Long Walk Home
    Badlands
    Out in the Street
    I'll Fly Away
    Rosalita
    Born to Run
    Tenth Avenue Freeze-out
    American Land

orlando:

Setlist:
    Blood Brothers (Alt. Version)
    Night
    Radio Nowhere
    Out in the Street
    Spirit in the Night
    The River
    Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street?
    Candy's Room
    Prove It All Night
    She's the One
    Livin' in the Future
    The Promised Land
    Fire
    Lost in the Flood
    Devil's Arcade
    The Rising
    Last to Die
    Long Walk Home
    Badlands
    Turn! Turn! Turn! (with Roger McGuinn)
    Mr. Tambourine Man (with Roger McGuinn)
    Jungleland
    Born to Run
    Dancing in the Dark
    American Land

wow

holy shit. both of those are fucking incredible. wow. im sure little steven was very excited to play those byrds songs with roger mcguinn. wow. that is so amazing.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    DOSW wrote:
    Greetings From Asbury Park, dude... classic stuff.

Jesus. That was the ultimate brain fart. My bad.
    the boot of the tampa show is amazing. the set list is killer, bruce and the band sound incredibly inspired, rightfully so. the backstreets opener is awesome. i wish this show was in jersey rather than tampa tho...
    the boot of the tampa show is amazing. the set list is killer, bruce and the band sound incredibly inspired, rightfully so. the backstreets opener is awesome. i wish this show was in jersey rather than tampa tho...

i dont think the geography mattered much on trhese shows-

they had to be re-arranged ( and rescheduled ) from their original bookings ( Dannys Services ) ,
    It was more about the first shows occuring after Danny has left us all.

meaning these shows could have happened in timbuktu- ity wouldnt have mattered where .

Besides- we all know that Jerseys shows arent even as good as Philly shows.

;)
    platessmall.jpg
  • gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 442
    heading down to atlanta in a few hours. can NOT wait for tonight's show!!!!
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    i dont think the geography mattered much on trhese shows-

they had to be re-arranged ( and rescheduled ) from their original bookings ( Dannys Services ) ,
    It was more about the first shows occuring after Danny has left us all.

meaning these shows could have happened in timbuktu- ity wouldnt have mattered where .

Besides- we all know that Jerseys shows arent even as good as Philly shows.

;)

i understand, i wasnt trying to disrespect danny or anybody. i was just saying that this show was unbelievable and obviously an important night for everyone and they delivered and played what was prob one of their best shows.

the location technically doesnt matter, i just wish it was in jersey so i could have seen this amazing show
    i understand, i wasnt trying to disrespect danny or anybody. i was just saying that this show was unbelievable and obviously an important night for everyone and they delivered and played what was prob one of their best shows.

the location technically doesnt matter, i just wish it was in jersey so i could have seen this amazing show

totally agree on the point that i too wish that it was a little bit closer to the tristate area so that I could have attended.

Thats two serious setlists right there !

Well, at least we've got Giants Stadium to look forward to .
    platessmall.jpg