U N C L E *B R U C E* S P R I N G S T E E N *

Comments

• Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    [size=+2]
    Murder Incorporated ? [/size]

I was wondering how long till this gem would be played- if at all- but consideriong the subject matter- it is appropriate !

APRIL 4, SACRAMENTO: I'M ONLY HERE FOR FUN!
    A real Friday night kind of show. Between "Spirit in the Night," "Sherry Darling," and "Rosalita" (not to mention his description of what Patti was guarding against back home as he left: "the beer kegs were rolling up the driveway, the pot brownies were in the oven, and the Girls Gone Wild tour bus was pulling up!"), it seemed Bruce had youthful partying on the brain.

"Spirit" wasn't quite a surprise, since it was the winner of the KSEG pick-a-song contest, but who expected it to kick off the show? So the first song of the night found Bruce sitting on the edge of the stage, his legs hanging into the crowd, looking at one point like he might even jump off. More dynamism as Bruce threw in some Townshend-esque windmills at the end of "Gypsy Biker"; after a breather with "Magic," the wailing guitars continued on the tour premiere of "Murder Incorporated." It looked like "Reason to Belive" would follow, but Bruce waved it off (for the first time this tour) in favor of "Candy's Room," and the breathlessness continued from there through "Because the Night" and "She's the One."

Jeff Bristow reports: "This show was a completely different tone from the two Oakland shows this past fall. Then, it was Bruce and the band working very hard, playing hard, and a few nice surprises here and there. Great shows, but they had a very structured feel to them. Sacramento seemed to be all about having a blast. When they opened with 'Spirit in the Night,' one of the things I noticed early on was how much fun Bruce seemed to be having. For a song that has been played very little on the tour, they nailed it. And the crowd was completely into it.

"And that mood carried through the rest of the night. Bruce just seemed to be having a lot of fun with the songs and the crowd, at times he just seemed almost goofy, in a good way! I managed to check out the setlist a few songs in, and there was a big difference between what was on that paper and what was played, lots of audibles. I know for a fact that 'Sherry Darling,' 'Candy's Room,' and 'Rosalita' were not on the list. 'Incident,' 'Thunder Road,' and 'Reason to Believe' were. But I can see why the changes were made, with Bruce having so much fun and the crowd eating it up, those songs might have slowed things down, where this was just one big party. Oh, and Nils killed on his solo for 'Because the Night.'

"On the Rising tour we got a very special show in Sac, and tonight was as good, if not better. It was one of those nights where it felt like anything could happen, and I haven’t seen him having this much of a good time on stage probably since the Born in the U.S.A. tour."

Signs were part of the fun last night, too -- and not just song requests. During "Livin' in the Future," Bruce plucked a "Clarence for President" sign out of the crowd, and after carrying it for a while he set it up againts Nils' mic stand, where it stayed for the remainder of the show. After "Sherry," Bruce was visibly looking for signs, with Steve calling his attention to one for "Held Up Without a Gun." Bruce remarked, into the mic, "We can't do that one." Finally spotting one for "Backstreets," Bruce pointed to it and gave the band their cue. Two more audibles in the encore, with Bruce propping a "Rosie" sign on the stage as they played that one, and going on to replace the setlisted "Glory Days" with "Ramrod."

Next: Tonight in San Jose
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • E.BloomE.Bloom Posts: 188
    Can`t wait for the european leg! I`m going to 7 shows, it`s going to be great. Bruce and the band is really in top form, and the set-lists has really been amazing the last few shows!
    we were but stones,your light made us stars

Dublin 06
    London 07
    E.Bloom wrote:
    I`m going to 7 shows, it`s going to be great. !

yes, it will be.
    7- thats niiiice!
    european bruce shows ( as evidenced by barcelona dvd a while back as well as seeger sessions at the point, )
    seem to be on their own level,...
    enjoy !
    platessmall.jpg
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    [size=+2]
    Murder Incorporated ? [/size]

I was wondering how long till this gem would be played- if at all- but consideriong the subject matter- it is appropriate !

APRIL 4, SACRAMENTO: I'M ONLY HERE FOR FUN!
    A real Friday night kind of show. Between "Spirit in the Night," "Sherry Darling," and "Rosalita" (not to mention his description of what Patti was guarding against back home as he left: "the beer kegs were rolling up the driveway, the pot brownies were in the oven, and the Girls Gone Wild tour bus was pulling up!"), it seemed Bruce had youthful partying on the brain.

"Spirit" wasn't quite a surprise, since it was the winner of the KSEG pick-a-song contest, but who expected it to kick off the show? So the first song of the night found Bruce sitting on the edge of the stage, his legs hanging into the crowd, looking at one point like he might even jump off. More dynamism as Bruce threw in some Townshend-esque windmills at the end of "Gypsy Biker"; after a breather with "Magic," the wailing guitars continued on the tour premiere of "Murder Incorporated." It looked like "Reason to Belive" would follow, but Bruce waved it off (for the first time this tour) in favor of "Candy's Room," and the breathlessness continued from there through "Because the Night" and "She's the One."

Jeff Bristow reports: "This show was a completely different tone from the two Oakland shows this past fall. Then, it was Bruce and the band working very hard, playing hard, and a few nice surprises here and there. Great shows, but they had a very structured feel to them. Sacramento seemed to be all about having a blast. When they opened with 'Spirit in the Night,' one of the things I noticed early on was how much fun Bruce seemed to be having. For a song that has been played very little on the tour, they nailed it. And the crowd was completely into it.

"And that mood carried through the rest of the night. Bruce just seemed to be having a lot of fun with the songs and the crowd, at times he just seemed almost goofy, in a good way! I managed to check out the setlist a few songs in, and there was a big difference between what was on that paper and what was played, lots of audibles. I know for a fact that 'Sherry Darling,' 'Candy's Room,' and 'Rosalita' were not on the list. 'Incident,' 'Thunder Road,' and 'Reason to Believe' were. But I can see why the changes were made, with Bruce having so much fun and the crowd eating it up, those songs might have slowed things down, where this was just one big party. Oh, and Nils killed on his solo for 'Because the Night.'

"On the Rising tour we got a very special show in Sac, and tonight was as good, if not better. It was one of those nights where it felt like anything could happen, and I haven’t seen him having this much of a good time on stage probably since the Born in the U.S.A. tour."

Signs were part of the fun last night, too -- and not just song requests. During "Livin' in the Future," Bruce plucked a "Clarence for President" sign out of the crowd, and after carrying it for a while he set it up againts Nils' mic stand, where it stayed for the remainder of the show. After "Sherry," Bruce was visibly looking for signs, with Steve calling his attention to one for "Held Up Without a Gun." Bruce remarked, into the mic, "We can't do that one." Finally spotting one for "Backstreets," Bruce pointed to it and gave the band their cue. Two more audibles in the encore, with Bruce propping a "Rosie" sign on the stage as they played that one, and going on to replace the setlisted "Glory Days" with "Ramrod."

Next: Tonight in San Jose
    blah!!! no Held Up Without A Gun??? c'mon, that's a 2 minute E.St classic!!
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Saw the Seattle show as my kickoff to a week that included Bruce, followed by two Showbox nights with-X- , followed by Los Lobos and Ed x 2 in Vancouver. An absolutely incredible show. #43 was a gem I'll never forget. Trapped, Because The Night , a Point Blank that had the hair on my arms standing up like it hadn't since I heard Bruce play it in the aftermath of John Lennon's murder in 1980, and an encore including 10th Avenue Freezeout, Rosalita, and Born To Run. Talking even in superlatives wouldn't do the gem of a Seattle show justice.

Like Ed said later in Vancouver, albeit after a rather " blue" Dewey Cox inspired chat with we the people and saying that Bruce would never be so risque, "That's why he's The Boss and I'm just an employee" .

The Boss for sure! I've seen him open for Chicago , 6/15/73 Philly Spectrum, I've seen him in a full 115,000 JFK Stadium ( Amnesty 88), and in venues of many sizes in between . Bruce and The E Street Band ALWAYS leave you wanting more and ALWAYS make you feel they're talking to you personally, regardless of venue . Can't wait till Giant's Stadium in the summer.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
    pulled this post off of the btx message boards

from the Bossfan 950
    Something In The Night was my request.

I was right up on the rail in front of Stevie and Soozie. Bruce saw my sign during the 2nd or 3rd song and said "I've got that". Before he did it he came back and asked for the sign but I was fumbling because I had 2 different signs. Of course, I handed him the wrong one. He looked at it and shook his head "No" (It said "Jail To The Chief" on one side and "Endorse Obama, Please" on the other). He waited for me to give him the right sign.

Oh, and Glory Days was an audible. There was a guy with a shaved head who wrote it on his dome in magic marker. . Bruce brought the guy up and stage and had the camera operator take a shot of his head.
    platessmall.jpg
    APRIL 7, ANAHEIM: RAGE, RAGE AGAINST THE DYING OF THE LIGHT!

Bruce said it himself, after "Murder Incorporated": "We're out for blood!" True enough, it was a monster show at the Honda Center -- energy high, Bruce loose, surprise songs and surprise guests taking the whole thing even higher.

Keeping the string of unique openers going, Bruce hollered to Steve, "I see a light up there!" before launching into the tour premiere of a streamlined "Light of Day." So it was frenetic from the start, and the crowd ate it up -- Bruce mixed in a few bars of "California Sun" for them, too. Blistering selections like "Murder Incorporated" and "Trapped" kept the intensity up. The night's radio station poll winner was "Because the Night," and as usual, Nils cranked out another mind-blowing guitar solo. A few songs later, though, he had some stiff competition... or, on second thought, let's call it a fellow traveler.

After "Working on the Highway," Bruce made the introduction: "I've got a close friend of mine here with me tonight, gonna come up and do a song -- Mister Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine!" And the crowd goes wild. "Tommy also makes great acoustic records, as The Nightwatchman," Bruce added, but there was little acoustic about this premiere of "The Ghost of Tom Joad." It was a pounding, full-band electric arrangement, featuring Nils on pedal steel, Charlie Giordano on accordion, and Morello on guitar (to put it mildly) and vocals. Imagine a combination of RATM's "Joad," which they released in the '90s, and the E Street Band's take on "Youngstown." Or heck, hear it for yourself. Bruce and Tom traded vocals -- Bruce taking the first verse, Tom the second, and they split the third -- and here was a case of a guy who was prepared for his guest spot. Morello nailed it. On the six-string, Morello was no slouch at all during the song, but for the climax it was just a massive, words-fail-us solo, in his inimitable style. The band was focused on Morello as he played, one of the few times you'll see them watching something other than Bruce. The highlight of the show, and one of the the highlights of the tour, for that matter.

Bruce was clearly feeling juiced by set's end, as he kept things going after "Badlands" for the first time, calling for "Out in the Street" to ride the wave of momentum. The encore had him calling out for "California girls... California girls... come on, thrill me, I'm getting old!" After a rollicking "Rosalita," more guests joined in: Bobby Bandiera on "Ramrod"; Sessions Band players Marty Rifkin and Marc Anthony Thompson for the show-closing "American Land." Plenty of signs in the crowd, with fans hoping to capitalize on Bruce's recent penchant for taking requests, but he wasn't having it tonight. And clearly, there's something to be said for Springsteen making his own plans.

Setlist:
    Light of Day
    Radio Nowhere
    Lonesome Day
    Gypsy Biker
    Murder Incorporated
    Magic
    Trapped
    Reason to Believe
    Because the Night
    She's the One
    Livin' in the Future
    The Promised Land
    Working on the Highway
    The Ghost of Tom Joad (w/ Tom Morello)
    Devil's Arcade
    The Rising
    Last to Die
    Long Walk Home
    Badlands
    Out in the Street
    Girls in Their Summer Clothes
    Rosalita
    Born to Run
    Ramrod (w/ Bobby Bandiera)
    American Land (w/ Marty Rifkin and Marc Anthony Thompson)

Murder Incorporated :eek:

Look at that setlist !
    the powerful quad of
    Gypsy Biker
    Murder Incorporated
    Magic
    Trapped
    !
    gives me something to look forward to in Giants Stadium ! :eek: :eek:

I am absolutely dying to hear that song and have been wondering where has it been ?
    platessmall.jpg

http://www.megaupload.com/nl/?d=ABR3NG9I

04/04/08 - Arco Arena Sacramento, CA

SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT / RADIO NOWHERE / NO SURRENDER / LONESOME DAY / GYPSY BIKER / MAGIC / MURDER INC / CANDY'S ROOM / BECAUSE THE NIGHT / SHE'S THE ONE / LIVIN' IN THE FUTURE / THE PROMISED LAND / SHERRY DARLING / BACKSTREETS / DEVIL'S ARCADE / THE RISING / LAST TO DIE / LONG WALK HOME / BADLANDS / GIRLS IN THEIR SUMMER CLOTHES / ROSALITA / BORN TO RUN / RAMROD / AMERICAN LAND
    platessmall.jpg
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Setlist:
    Light of Day
    Radio Nowhere
    Lonesome Day
    Gypsy Biker
    Murder Incorporated
    Magic
    Trapped
    Reason to Believe
    Because the Night
    She's the One
    Livin' in the Future
    The Promised Land
    Working on the Highway
    The Ghost of Tom Joad (w/ Tom Morello)
    Devil's Arcade
    The Rising
    Last to Die
    Long Walk Home
    Badlands
    Out in the Street
    Girls in Their Summer Clothes
    Rosalita
    Born to Run
    Ramrod (w/ Bobby Bandiera)
    American Land (w/ Marty Rifkin and Marc Anthony Thompson)

OMG, Out in the Street!!! I LOVE LOVE that song!!! I have the live version from NYC on my iPod Nano for jogging and I can play it on guitar.

I think it's great how Bruce has been changing around the setlists, pulling out surprises. Seems like everyone wants Rosie to come out every night :)
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
    i gotta hear Tom Joad w/ Morello.
    i gotta hear Tom Joad w/ Morello.

backstreets has this up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJT1EdKRF2g
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    thanks, i saw it in the other thread right after i posted.
    TICKET ALERT: ANOTHER SHOT AT THE BASIE'S "EVENING WITH BRUCE"
    The ticket auction has ended for Springsteen's May 7 benefit show in Red Bank, and the Count Basie Theatre reports: "Due to the overwhelming generosity of our sponsors and the success of the Make Your Best Offer Auction, we have met our financial goal for the concert."

But some balcony seats still remain, and they're now available for the set sale price of $1000 per pair -- that's half-off the auction's minimum bid.

Tickets will be sold only in pairs; 200 pairs are now available, with a two-pair limit (four tickets) per person. No internet sales -- these special offer tickets are only available through the Box Office by phone (732-842-9000) or in person.
    -April 9, 2008
    platessmall.jpg
    been neglecting the Uncle Bruce Springsteen Thread due to all the Pearl Jam action the last few weeks.

Interesting offer from todays Backstreets :

A LOOK AT THE LOCAL SCENE -- A QUARTER CENTURY LATER
    Back in the day, before professional photographers even dreamed of Bruce Springsteen coffee table books, there were fan photographers hanging out in Asbury Park who knew what they were seeing through their viewfinders was the stuff of history. One was Chuck Yopp, whose instincts led him to publish Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J., A Look At The Local Scene in 1983. Subtitled The Bruce Springsteen Photo Discovery, Yopp's no-frills scrapbook featured the work of 24 photographers whose shots, including his own, made up an indispensable record of Bruce on the Shore from 1973 through early 1983.

Now, after a 25 year hiatus -- during which time the out-of-print book has commanded collectors' prices nearing four figures -- Yopp is back with a new and revised edition for 2008. He's offering a choice of covers: one drawn by super fan Art Masciocchi, from the book's first edition; the other, from the second '80s edition, featuring a Billy Smith photograph. Every shot in Greetings was taken, of course, before 5,600 d.p.i scanners made possible some of the most beautiful photography books imaginable, so the black-and-white photos have to them the feel of a long lost and much welcomed documentary. The book also contains one of our favorite Springsteen photos of all time -- taken in 1958 as Bruce’s extended family gathered around the Thanksgiving table.

Check it out in our online shop for more details and to order now.
    -April 11, 2008
    platessmall.jpg
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    Bathgate66 wrote:

that was incredible. probably the best version i have ever seen. whoa!
    The Mighty Mighty Mighty Maximizer

MAX TO KEEP BEAT IN LA
    By ADAM BUCKMAN
    MAX WEINBERG
    April 12, 2008 -- MAX Weinberg will def initely be making the move to Los Angeles to continue as bandleader for the new Conan O'Brien "Tonight Show."

Weinberg's plans to go along with the move to the West Coast were reported yesterday in the Wall Street Journal, buried deep in a feature story about the drummer's plans to sell 22 acres of his 40-acre estate in Middletown, N.J., to developers.

The proposed sale is not sitting well with some neighbors and officials in Middletown Township, the story said.

According to the story, Weinberg plans to keep his New Jersey home - where he lives with his wife and two children - while living at least part-time in the Los Angeles area.

The story said he has already "looked at at least 100 homes" in the area so far in anticipation of O'Brien's takeover of "The Tonight Show" from Jay Leno some time next year.

Weinberg, who will be 57 on Sunday, could not be reached yesterday for comment. He is currently on tour with Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. But a source at NBC's "Late Night" confirmed he'll be joining O'Brien out west.

It remains uncertain whether all or any of his band members will be making the move with him.
    platessmall.jpg
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Any rumblings of a Philly show being added at the end of the current tour schedule??? I just can't believe that only 2 Philly shows for this entire tour especially with being back on the east coast after the European leg....
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
    chromiam wrote:
    Any rumblings of a Philly show being added at the end of the current tour schedule??? I just can't believe that only 2 Philly shows for this entire tour especially with being back on the east coast after the European leg....

philly is a must
    always phenomenal shows
    platessmall.jpg
  • HOOKERHOOKER Posts: 1,443
    http://www.brucespringsteen.net/news/index.html

The Boss endorses Barack Obama...

fuck yeah.

Its about time.
    Nice to know you.
    todays ny daily news paper copy has a halfpage photo of bruce and hius fake- tele-esquire hybrid

with a banner at the top that says " Drama- Maniac " .

thats not right- dissing the Boss like that !

unfortunately, its not available online ! :(
    platessmall.jpg
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    todays ny daily news paper copy has a halfpage photo of bruce and hius fake- tele-esquire hybrid

Why? Because of the Obama endorsement?
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
    DOSW wrote:
    Why? Because of the Obama endorsement?

yeah it was in that section-( for obama )

it was with hillarys endorsements Salsa King Willie Colon and Elton John. :)

i dont know what is in the authors mind, but it was definitely a reference to the announcement he ( bruce ) posted on his official website- for sure.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Otis64Otis64 Posts: 41
    Bathgate66 wrote:

I love that Bruce is endorsing Obama. Unfortunately though, he'll just have to deal with the backlash of media bashing and pissing off some fans. Look what happend last time. Bruce has a sound view of politics. Regardless of what people think, he stands by his word and stands up for his opinions. Good for him.
    It's Gonna Be A Long Walk Home
  • ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    So sad to hear that Danny Federici passed away :(
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    So sad to hear that Danny Federici passed away :(

Very, very sad news. R.I.P. Danny
  • I feel so sad about Danny. Condolensces to his family, friends, the band and his fans. E Street was so rare to still have had all of its original members 35 years since they got together. Very very few bands, if any (maybe the Stones, but they are missing a couple) can say that.

I feel very fortunate to have been at the 11/19/07 show in Boston, which as it turns out, was Danny's last full show with the band.

RIP DANNY!
    coming up

MSG 1
    Ringo the next night in Boston
    Hartford
    Boston 1 & 2

hell's yeah...
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Rest in Peace Danny.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • HOOKERHOOKER Posts: 1,443
    Rip
    Nice to know you.
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    I'm not entirely sure, but I think Phantom Dan has been playing with Bruce the longest, he along with Clarence, and Garry W. Talent were the remaining original members of the E St. Band.

I'm glad I got to see the ESB band proper on The Rising tour because seeing the ESB wasn't quite the same without him there.