U N C L E *B R U C E* S P R I N G S T E E N *

Comments

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    where's bathgate with the 411 of last night's show?
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    londonwpr wrote:
    Really? I didn't know that she was missing most of the shows. It's too bad since she's irreplaceable, but it's admirable the Springsteen's are good parents.

Patti didnt make it last night, but you would be amazingly shocked at just how well Soozie Tyrell fills in and does the fiddle and singing dutioes on a nightly basis.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    Newsday

36628064.jpg

Of all the feats Bruce Springsteen has mastered over the course of his 35-year career, perhaps the most frequently overlooked has been his ability to trick perception. He's got the ability to make small dreams -- like blowing out of a matchbox town and winning the heart of a beautiful girl -- seem like epic quests. He's likewise able to make reversals -- like national tragedies and open-ended wars -- seem thoroughly surmountable.

He's also got the ability to make a three-hour concert feel like it's whizzed by in 10 minutes, which was just one of the skills on display at Nassau Coliseum Monday night. Opening with a searing run through "Night" -- one of those songs about tiny towns and beautiful girls -- Springsteen and the E Street Band delivered an arena show that felt by turns both spectacular and intimate.

Three decades into a near-perfect career, with a reputation for raucous and roof-raising performances, the question is no longer, "Were they good?" The question is, "How good were they?"

Related links
    Bruce Springsteen Photos

Concert photos

Upcoming concerts on
    LI and NYC

Backstage Pass music blog

American Idol blog

The Long Island music scene

Pet Rock: The Pop Culture blog
    Well, here's the answer: on Monday night, they were very good. Though they were down original two members -- Springsteen's wife, guitarist Patti Scialfa, was home with their teenage sons and keyboardist Danny Federici is on a leave of absence as he undergoes treatment for cancer -- the band still ignited early and often.

Monday's show was the sixth on the current leg of Springsteen's tour in support of "Magic," an album that grows in character and nuance with each listen.

After a barnstorming opening, the show settled into a string of dark, searching songs. The set seemed to be arranged as a series of questions and answers: "The Promised Land," which longs for an ideal nation, came on the heels of "Livin' in the Future," a deceptively riotous song Springsteen introduced by saying, "What's been done in the past seven years in this country has been an affront to the Constitution."

"The Rising," a glimmering gospel number written in the wake of September 11th, was followed by "Last to Die," a grim, blistering critique of the Iraq War built around the repeated question, "Who'll be the last to die for a mistake?" "Magic" became a windswept prairie ballad, sewn up by Springtseen's acoustic guitar and Soozie Tyrell's weeping violin. By the time they arrived at "Badlands," which was given riotous, volcanic treatment, it felt like blessed absolution.

If the bulk of the show was dedicated to optimism in the face of darkness, the encore was pure revelry. The group turned in an incendiary performance of the rarely-played "Ramrod," and dove headlong into a speedy, sweltering run through "Dancing in the Dark."

On the surface, it's a song about gnawing dissatisfaction and romantic longing, but in this context, following so many songs about global and personal crisis, it seemed to take on a new meaning. If "Magic" outlined the problem, this delivered the antidote: three minutes of pure bliss in increasingly stormy times. Dancing in the dark, indeed.

Night
    Radio Nowhere
    Lonesome Day
    Adam Raised a Cain
    Gypsy Biker
    Magic
    Reason to Believe
    Because the Night
    She's the One
    Livin' in the Future
    The Promised Land
    Waitin' on a Sunny Day
    Incident on 57th Street :D :eek:
    Devil's Arcade
    The Rising
    Last to Die
    Long Walk Home
    Badlands
    Girls in Their Summer Clothes
    Jungleland :D
    Born to Run :D
    Ramrod :D
    Dancing in the Dark
    American Land

too much Rising ! ( not even the better tracks either )
    change it up for the stadiums- PLEASE Bossman !
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Newsday

36628064.jpg

Of all the feats Bruce Springsteen has mastered over the course of his 35-year career, perhaps the most frequently overlooked has been his ability to trick perception. He's got the ability to make small dreams -- like blowing out of a matchbox town and winning the heart of a beautiful girl -- seem like epic quests. He's likewise able to make reversals -- like national tragedies and open-ended wars -- seem thoroughly surmountable.

He's also got the ability to make a three-hour concert feel like it's whizzed by in 10 minutes, which was just one of the skills on display at Nassau Coliseum Monday night. Opening with a searing run through "Night" -- one of those songs about tiny towns and beautiful girls -- Springsteen and the E Street Band delivered an arena show that felt by turns both spectacular and intimate.

Three decades into a near-perfect career, with a reputation for raucous and roof-raising performances, the question is no longer, "Were they good?" The question is, "How good were they?"

Related links
    Bruce Springsteen Photos

Concert photos

Upcoming concerts on
    LI and NYC

Backstage Pass music blog

American Idol blog

The Long Island music scene

Pet Rock: The Pop Culture blog
    Well, here's the answer: on Monday night, they were very good. Though they were down original two members -- Springsteen's wife, guitarist Patti Scialfa, was home with their teenage sons and keyboardist Danny Federici is on a leave of absence as he undergoes treatment for cancer -- the band still ignited early and often.

Monday's show was the sixth on the current leg of Springsteen's tour in support of "Magic," an album that grows in character and nuance with each listen.

After a barnstorming opening, the show settled into a string of dark, searching songs. The set seemed to be arranged as a series of questions and answers: "The Promised Land," which longs for an ideal nation, came on the heels of "Livin' in the Future," a deceptively riotous song Springsteen introduced by saying, "What's been done in the past seven years in this country has been an affront to the Constitution."

"The Rising," a glimmering gospel number written in the wake of September 11th, was followed by "Last to Die," a grim, blistering critique of the Iraq War built around the repeated question, "Who'll be the last to die for a mistake?" "Magic" became a windswept prairie ballad, sewn up by Springtseen's acoustic guitar and Soozie Tyrell's weeping violin. By the time they arrived at "Badlands," which was given riotous, volcanic treatment, it felt like blessed absolution.

If the bulk of the show was dedicated to optimism in the face of darkness, the encore was pure revelry. The group turned in an incendiary performance of the rarely-played "Ramrod," and dove headlong into a speedy, sweltering run through "Dancing in the Dark."

On the surface, it's a song about gnawing dissatisfaction and romantic longing, but in this context, following so many songs about global and personal crisis, it seemed to take on a new meaning. If "Magic" outlined the problem, this delivered the antidote: three minutes of pure bliss in increasingly stormy times. Dancing in the dark, indeed.

Night
    Radio Nowhere
    Lonesome Day
    Adam Raised a Cain
    Gypsy Biker
    Magic
    Reason to Believe
    Because the Night
    She's the One
    Livin' in the Future
    The Promised Land
    Waitin' on a Sunny Day
    Incident on 57th Street :D :eek:
    Devil's Arcade
    The Rising
    Last to Die
    Long Walk Home
    Badlands
    Jungleland :D
    Born to Run :D
    Ramrod :D
    Dancing in the Dark
    American Land

too much Rising ! ( not even the better tracks either )
    change it up for the stadiums- PLEASE Bossman !

he played for three hours?
    i hear ya Bath. why not "Worlds Apart", "Further On Up The Road", "Counting On A Miricle", "Paridise", "You're Missing", or "My City Of Ruin".

nice to see Incident again.. and Jungleland.

i miss Thundercrack in the sets though..but that's me.

here's to hoping for a heavy Nebraska set in..Nebraska!
    he played for three hours?

maybe like 2:45 - 2:50

and can we get some " Into The Fire " love ? :confused:

I think its probably the best lyrically on that release.

thats just my opinion .
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    maybe like 2:45 - 2:50

and can we get some " Into The Fire " love ? :confused:

I think its probably the best lyrically on that release.

thats just my opinion .

damn, i thought he played for less time on the first leg. that is awesome!
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:

wow. i cant wait for july. that is truly unbelievable.
    OK

I'll open this up for seeding.

I will do a traditional B & P for the Nassau Show

to the first 5 signers here in the thread.

Then you must PM me your sign up.

Its 2 -R discs and Postage.

DISC 1

Night
    Radio Nowhere
    Lonesome Day
    Adam Raised a Cain
    Gypsy Biker
    Magic
    Reason to Believe
    Because the Night
    She's the One
    Livin' in the Future
    The Promised Land
    Waitin' on a Sunny Day
    Incident on 57th Street

DISC 2

Devil's Arcade
    The Rising
    Last to Die
    Long Walk Home
    Badlands
    Jungleland
    Born to Run
    Ramrod
    Dancing in the Dark
    American Land

cheers
    platessmall.jpg
  • Otis64Otis64 Posts: 41
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    OK

Its 2 -R discs and Postage

cheers

I'm in for this. Thanks Bathgate. Was in 222 that night. 8th show. One of the most enjoyable.
    It's Gonna Be A Long Walk Home
    Otis64 wrote:
    I'm in for this. Thanks Bathgate. Was in 222 that night. 8th show. One of the most enjoyable.

we were neighbors ( almost)

i was in the very straight back section- 224- right beside the calliope ,...and behind the Mighty Mighty Mighty Max .

As for the B&P : only 3 more slots to fill,

then ill start getting them together.

I have no artwork for these, im sure you can find some if you did some searching, and the quality is surprisingly very good., It is in MP3 form, just to let you all know.

It doesnt hurt that we got a pretty good setlist, either- sprinkled with a few rarer gems ( Adam Raised A Cain , Because The Night, Shes The One, Promised Land, Incident on 57th St , Jungleland , & Ramrod ! yeah baby ! )
    platessmall.jpg
  • I'm home with a fever and watching all the shows around Seattle drop. I still need tickets so I may have picked an excellent day to be ill.
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    I've had trouble falling asleep all week - I think it's because of the Omaha show, tomorrow night!

This will be my second time seeing Bruce and based on what I've seen of the setlists, I'm very excited!!!!
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
    zircona1 wrote:
    I've had trouble falling asleep all week - I think it's because of the Omaha show, tomorrow night!

This will be my second time seeing Bruce and based on what I've seen of the setlists, I'm very excited!!!!

totally enjoy the show !

bruce and the band have finely tuned together their setlists , the new songs in particular , ( ie : Magic, Gypsy Biker, Last To Die , Long Walk Home - hell i even enjoyed my least favorite newbie live- Devils Arcade )

you are going to love it - i am sure.:D

try to get some pics - ( but be careful of security ) :eek:

cant wait for Giants Stadium in July .

Long Wait Home. :)
    platessmall.jpg
  • Portland dropping right now. I really should have waited. I sure hope Seattle drops soon!
    heres to omaha tonight,.....

enjoy !
    platessmall.jpg
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    OK

Its 2 -R discs and Postage.

DISC 1

Night
    Radio Nowhere
    Lonesome Day
    Adam Raised a Cain
    Gypsy Biker
    Magic
    Reason to Believe
    Because the Night
    She's the One
    Livin' in the Future
    The Promised Land
    Waitin' on a Sunny Day
    Incident on 57th Street

DISC 2

Devil's Arcade
    The Rising
    Last to Die
    Long Walk Home
    Badlands
    Jungleland
    Born to Run
    Ramrod
    Dancing in the Dark
    American Land

cheers

Am I too late? I'd like to do this.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
    2 Slots Left .

you're in rr
    platessmall.jpg
    wow

omaha gets the very same setlist asd nassau, with only 1 glaring difference-

the addition of Detroit Medley in the encore set.

:mad:

we missed that one !
    platessmall.jpg
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    wow

omaha gets the very same setlist asd nassau, with only 1 glaring difference-

the addition of Detroit Medley in the encore set.

:mad:

we missed that one !

Actually there were a couple of differences, the setlist from Backstreets:

No Surrender
    Radio Nowhere
    Lonesome Day
    Adam Raised a Cain
    Gypsy Biker
    Magic
    Reason to Believe
    Because the Night
    She's the One
    Livin' in the Future
    The Promised Land
    Waitin' on a Sunny Day
    The River
    Devil's Arcade
    The Rising
    Last to Die
    Long Walk Home
    Badlands
    Thunder Road
    Jungleland
    Detroit Medley
    Born to Run
    Dancing in the Dark
    American Land

I was there and it was awesome. My seat was about 15 rows up, right next to the stage. Really cool to see everyone up close. The place was packed - it was definitely sold out.

Patti wasn't there tonight, "she sends her love, so does Danny" Springsteen said.

As far as the main set goes, no complaints, Adam Raised a Cain was a terrific surprise and so was The River. I really wanted to hear Night, but we got No Surrender instead.

And then there was that fabulous encore.

Girls in Their Summer Clothes was, of course, the opener, Bruce dedicated it to "Mike and Nancy, and all the Nebraska girls!" Sounded a lot mellower than it did on record.

After that, he brought out Conor Oberst of Bright Eyes. I was one of maybe a dozen people in the place who knew who he was and applauded wildly. They did Thunder Road, with Conor helping out on a few of the verses.

I figured they would do BTR next, but Springsteen said something about Detroit Medley (a few cheers) and Jungleland (a few more cheers), and said "the people have spoken!" I was stunned, never thought I'd get to hear it.

After Jungleland, I thought, "OK, now they'll play BTR." But no - they threw us Detroit Medley and I was ecstatic, jumping up and down, singing along to those old rock and roll songs. Was really a fun performance.

Then they did BTR - kicked on the houselights and everyone was up and clapping, singing along.

Wasn't expecting Dancing in the Dark since the encore was already full, but they did that one as well, the audience kept up the energy.

At this point my hands were hurting from clapping so much :)

American Land was a fun closer, I can see why some people would want Land of Hope and Dreams or My City of Ruins, but it worked, they had the words on the screens so people could sing along.

Overall, fantastic - played for over 2 1/2 hours, with several pleasant surprises. Springsteen and the E Street Band can still sell the Gospel of Rock and Roll better than anyone else.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • the boss is the best thing to ever happen to music.
    I like bands.
    zircona1 wrote:
    Actually there were a couple of differences, the setlist from Backstreets:

No Surrender
    Radio Nowhere
    Lonesome Day
    Adam Raised a Cain
    Gypsy Biker
    Magic
    Reason to Believe
    Because the Night
    She's the One
    Livin' in the Future
    The Promised Land
    Waitin' on a Sunny Day
    The River
    Devil's Arcade
    The Rising
    Last to Die
    Long Walk Home
    Badlands
    Thunder Road
    Jungleland
    Detroit Medley
    Born to Run
    Dancing in the Dark
    American Land

I was there and it was awesome. My seat was about 15 rows up, right next to the stage. Really cool to see everyone up close. The place was packed - it was definitely sold out.

Patti wasn't there tonight, "she sends her love, so does Danny" Springsteen said.

As far as the main set goes, no complaints, Adam Raised a Cain was a terrific surprise and so was The River. I really wanted to hear Night, but we got No Surrender instead.

And then there was that fabulous encore.

Girls in Their Summer Clothes was, of course, the opener, Bruce dedicated it to "Mike and Nancy, and all the Nebraska girls!" Sounded a lot mellower than it did on record.

After that, he brought out Conor Oberst of Bright Eyes. I was one of maybe a dozen people in the place who knew who he was and applauded wildly. They did Thunder Road, with Conor helping out on a few of the verses.

I figured they would do BTR next, but Springsteen said something about Detroit Medley (a few cheers) and Jungleland (a few more cheers), and said "the people have spoken!" I was stunned, never thought I'd get to hear it.

After Jungleland, I thought, "OK, now they'll play BTR." But no - they threw us Detroit Medley and I was ecstatic, jumping up and down, singing along to those old rock and roll songs. Was really a fun performance.

Then they did BTR - kicked on the houselights and everyone was up and clapping, singing along.

Wasn't expecting Dancing in the Dark since the encore was already full, but they did that one as well, the audience kept up the energy.

At this point my hands were hurting from clapping so much :)

American Land was a fun closer, I can see why some people would want Land of Hope and Dreams or My City of Ruins, but it worked, they had the words on the screens so people could sing along.

Overall, fantastic - played for over 2 1/2 hours, with several pleasant surprises. Springsteen and the E Street Band can still sell the Gospel of Rock and Roll better than anyone else.

i realized that after i read on the show .

( Thunderroad )

Nice to get a cameo appearance by Conor Oberst of Bright Eyes-
    always fun when the people around you are clueless and you have " one up" on them.
    :)

sounds like a great show- glad you enjoyed !

1 slot open remains for the Nassau Show .
    platessmall.jpg
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Thunder Road AND Jungleland

I would have shat my pants.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • St Patrick's Day in Milwaukee

bring it on
    as in Harrys Roadhouse down in South Jersey / Asbury Park .

http://www.countbasietheatre.org/promo.php?promoID=28

Bruce Springsteen benefit concert

COUNT BASIE THEATRE HOLDS FUNDRAISING CONCERT FEATURING
    AN EVENING WITH BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN

Bruce Springsteen will perform a benefit concert at the Count Basie Theatre in Red Bank, NJ on Wednesday, May 7th.

Proceeds from “An Evening with Bruce Springsteen” will benefit the historic Count Basie Theatre and help offset the cost of the renovation and restoration of the theatre that will begin this summer. A portion of the concert proceeds will also support other programs and operations at the Theatre, such as the Cool School. Patti Scialfa serves on the Board of the Basie Foundation and as Honorary Chair of the Capital Campaign.

Tickets will be made available to the public through an online “Make Your Best Offer” Auction beginning March 20th at http://www.countbasietheatre.org. Instructions on how the auction will work will be provided at http://www.countbasietheatre.org on March 20th. Concert information can also be found at http://www.brucespringsteen.net and http://www.backstreets.com.

Rusty Young, CEO of the Count Basie Theatre Foundation, said, "We are excited that Bruce Springsteen will be performing a benefit concert and deeply appreciate his willingness to help preserve and restore the Basie."
    platessmall.jpg
    March 17 / Mlwaukee, WI / Bradley Center

Setlist:
    No Surrender
    Radio Nowhere
    Lonesome Day
    Streets of Fire
    Gypsy Biker
    Magic
    Reason to Believe
    It's Hard to Be a Saint in the City
    Prove It All Night
    She's the One
    Livin' in the Future
    The Promised Land
    Cadillac Ranch
    My Hometown
    Devil's Arcade
    The Rising
    Last to Die
    Long Walk Home
    Badlands
    Loose Ends
    Meeting Across the River (with Richard Davis)
    Jungleland
    Born to Run
    Ramrod
    American Land

If "Loose Ends" and "Meeting" didn't shake the encore up enough for ya, "Ramrod" took the usual "Dancing in the Dark" slot in the six-song encore. "American Land" closed the night as usual -- if ever there's ever a night to shake that one up, St. Patty's Day ain't it. While Stevie got a green hat of his own and Garry rocked some shamrock glasses, Bruce dedicated the song to Pat Riley and offered an Irish benediction, "May the road always rise to meet you, and the wind be at your back."

A Twin Cities resident, coming off a relatively undistinguished hometown show, calls this one "everything last night wasn't." And lest you think it can't possibly get any better than this, take a quick look at the handwritten setlist, which went through four iterations tonight: the audibled "My Hometown" replaced "Racing in the Street," and "Ramrod" had an alternate in "Rosalita." But Milwaukee, they're not through with you yet... "We'll be back in the summertime!"
    platessmall.jpg
  • bryn_cmbsbryn_cmbs Posts: 407
    For those who have been to a show this tour, what are the merchandise options (shirts specifically). Prices? Thanks.
  • GoBuckyGoBucky Posts: 198
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    March 17 / Mlwaukee, WI / Bradley Center

Setlist:
    No Surrender
    Radio Nowhere
    Lonesome Day
    Streets of Fire
    Gypsy Biker
    Magic
    Reason to Believe
    It's Hard to Be a Saint in the City
    Prove It All Night
    She's the One
    Livin' in the Future
    The Promised Land
    Cadillac Ranch
    My Hometown
    Devil's Arcade
    The Rising
    Last to Die
    Long Walk Home
    Badlands
    Loose Ends
    Meeting Across the River (with Richard Davis)
    Jungleland
    Born to Run
    Ramrod
    American Land

If "Loose Ends" and "Meeting" didn't shake the encore up enough for ya, "Ramrod" took the usual "Dancing in the Dark" slot in the six-song encore. "American Land" closed the night as usual -- if ever there's ever a night to shake that one up, St. Patty's Day ain't it. While Stevie got a green hat of his own and Garry rocked some shamrock glasses, Bruce dedicated the song to Pat Riley and offered an Irish benediction, "May the road always rise to meet you, and the wind be at your back."

A Twin Cities resident, coming off a relatively undistinguished hometown show, calls this one "everything last night wasn't." And lest you think it can't possibly get any better than this, take a quick look at the handwritten setlist, which went through four iterations tonight: the audibled "My Hometown" replaced "Racing in the Street," and "Ramrod" had an alternate in "Rosalita." But Milwaukee, they're not through with you yet... "We'll be back in the summertime!"

It was a hell of a show! Meeting Across the River was awesome! I can't wait for the Harley show in August!
    bryn_cmbs wrote:
    For those who have been to a show this tour, what are the merchandise options (shirts specifically). Prices? Thanks.

there are a ton of shirts
    ( in cluded The Magic Cover , a silhouetted E Street Band ( perhaps the shadows from the photo inside of magic ) then they have a litany of other shirts featuring portions of the lyrics to his some of his classics - ( ie : Rosalita, Born To Run, Thunder Road, Backstreets , )
    Lots and Lots of Magic Merch,..
    all for men,
    women , baby girl t's ,
    and kids.
    bring your credit card or lots of cash- prices are steep.! ALL Shirts definitely run small . Id say they ranger low end 35 up to higher maybe approx 60 . This is purely a guess tho-0 cant be certain of exact prices but i did remember they were steep and ran small.

also- you might opt to use http://www.fanfire.com, rather then have to hold a huge bag of stuff or crush your poster- which comes unrolled and without rubber bands . It is also rather large .
    Bruce Springsteen Fanfire

They also have Coffee Mugs, Baseball Caps, Bandannas , Laptop Bags , Pin -Buttons , Magnets , Sweatshirts ( zippered ) , mousepads, and programs.

that about sums it up .
    platessmall.jpg