Options

U N C L E *B R U C E* S P R I N G S T E E N *

Comments

• Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    I never knew that! Is there a bootleg out there? Sorry if this is well established stuff that passed me by........

these files are also from thast night and they not only include Brtuce and The ESB, but also Fogerty, Jackson Browne , along with our man Ed Ved .

Whats So Funny About Peace Love and Understanding

People Have The Power

enjoy

here are the notes from that night :

October 13 / E. Rutherford, NJ / Continental Airlines Arena
    Notes: The final night of Springsteen's VFC tour brought a unique bill to the Meadowlands, with Patti Scialfa and her band opening this homecoming show, and Jackson Browne in for REM. While Bruce joined REM at each of the previous concerts, tonight we had a trifecta as he played in the opening set with Patti, in the second set with Browne, and one of the longest headlining sets of the run (rivaling St. Paul in both length, at 21 songs, and performance). Speaking of trifectas, surprise guest Eddie Vedder joined the E Street Band for a powerful trio of "No Surrender," "Darkness on the Edge of Town," and Pearl Jam's "Betterman." And continuing to speak of trifectas, the encore opened with not one, not two, but three classic CCR songs with Fogerty. But the emotional highlight of an emotional show had to be in the post-"Rising" slot (formerly occupied by "Because the Night" with Michael Stipe), when there was an audible gasp as Browne came out for "Racing in the Street." As one concertgoer said, "all the air was sucked out of the building." In a good way. Browne's own set included topical songs like "For America" and "Lives in the Balance," and Little Steven finally took a bow on a song of his that has cropped up at several other VFC shows this month, joining Jackson for "I Am a Patriot." A fine end to a righteous tour.
    with Patti Scialfa: As Long As I (Can Be With You)/Love (Stand Up)
    with Jackson Browne: Running on Empty
    Setlist: As Long As I [Can Be With You] (with Scialfa)/Love [Stand Up] (with Scialfa)//Running on Empty (with Browne)//The Star-Spangled Banner/Born in the U.S.A./Badlands/Lonesome Day/No Surrender (with Vedder)/Darkness on the Edge of Town (with Vedder)/Betterman (with Vedder)/Johnny 99/Centerfield (with Fogerty)/Deja Vu All Over Again (with Fogerty)/Fortunate Son (with Fogerty)/The Promised Land (with Fogerty)/The Rising/Racing in the Street (with Browne)/Mary's Place/Born to Run//Proud Mary (with Fogerty)/Bad Moon Rising (with Fogerty)/Travelin' Band (with Fogerty)/(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding (with all)/People Have the Power (with all)
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    wow 530 PM Eastern Time and there are excellent lowers for tonights United Center show dropping right now on TM.

114s, 115s, and 116s all dropping down

go gettem and good luck !

enjoy the show(s) !
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    i heard a live recording from '77 last night on E Street Radio..."Because the Night." Unbelievable

Did Bruce ever record this in the studio?
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    The Boss Rolling Stone

some interesting tidbits :

"Jon Stewart is such an important lonely force on Television. He's in the business of assisting people to interpret the modern media world."

"I felt like I've got two of the best bands in the world" (E Street and Seeger)

" I wrote most of the album on tour with the Sessions band. I wrote some of it the minute I came off The Rising Tour" (Livin' In The Future).

"There's probably another TRACKS sitting in the vaults that I'll get to at some point"

(Lost Album) "Yea I made one with Streets Of Philadelphia that I didin't put out, which I'd like to. It was interesing, it had a lot of loops and things. A good record, written pretty well. It wasn't a complete record in the end, which is why I would sit down and feel great for 4 or 5 songs and then get up with some sense of dissatisfaction" (The songs were mostly about personal relationships)

"I wrote things that I woulnd't have if I stayed back east. 2 or 3 albums of western songs. Ghost Of Tom joad, Devils and Dust and another record of western songs I've been working on"
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    LedZepFan wrote:
    i heard a live recording from '77 last night on E Street Radio..."Because the Night." Unbelievable

incredible live, especially if bruce plays piano at some point.

the version that everyone is familiar with ( that bruce wrote it for ) patti smith

bruce recorded it during the darkness sessions- not sure of whatever became of it tho.

wiki :
    "Because the Night" is a rock song composed by Bruce Springsteen and Patti Smith, and first released on Smith's 1978 album Easter.

The original song was recorded by Springsteen during sessions for his Darkness on the Edge of Town album. The Patti Smith Group was working on Easter in the studio next door, and the bands were exchanging tapes; Springsteen even composed some songs in the other band's style. With male-centered lyrics and a reported Latin feel, the original version of the song — a workingman's lament — wasn't finding a place on the Springsteen album. Smith took the song and recast it from a female perspective, and it was included on Easter, becoming the first single release from that album.

The song was a hit, rising to #13 on the U.S. pop singles chart, and helping propel sales of Easter to mainstream success — even as Smith was deciding to retire from a life of constant touring. The song remains one of the best known of Smith's catalog.

Though it was never released on a Springsteen studio album, in concert beginning with his 1978 tour Springsteen would often perform the song with his original lyrics, borrowing Smith's rock arrangement. The only commercially-released recording of a Springsteen version of the song was included on Live/1975-85.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I have it on an ooooold vinyl bruce bootleg called piece de resistance from around 78/79 I think it was. I haven't been able to listen to it in years though. Because the Night is Patti's 'Born to Run' - heard her sing it at Lollapalooza. I will be watching for my Rolling Stone.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    no patti tonight at Chicago

( guess shes home tending to the chittlings )
    ( bonus : no "town called heartbreak " for chitown )
    1. Radio Nowhere
    2. No Surrender
    3. Lonesome Day
    4. Gypsy Biker
    5. Magic
    6. Reason to Believe
    7. Adam Raised a Cain
    8. She's the One
    9. Livin' In The Future
    10. Promised Land
    11. Your Own Worst Enemy
    12. Backstreets
    13. Cadillac Ranch
    14. Devil's Arcade
    15. The Rising
    16. Last To Die
    17. Long Walk Home
    18. Badlands

Encores:
    19. Girls In Their Summer Clothes
    20. Thundercrack*

*-not on original setlist, according to caller - she was told that Ramrod was in this slot

Bruce said before the encore that Patti's home with the kids for some school thing (I think).
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    thanks for the update. i will be curious to see what the encore is like. i hope he starts changing it soon.

i was listening to the 2003 show at pnc and ed's cover of "growin' up" is fucking amazing. its not played flawlessly or even that well. it just has something to do with ed singing bruce's words that sends chills down my spine. fucking brilliant
  • Options
    thanks for the update. i will be curious to see what the encore is like. i hope he starts changing it soon.

i was listening to the 2003 show at pnc and ed's cover of "growin' up" is fucking amazing. its not played flawlessly or even that well. it just has something to do with ed singing bruce's words that sends chills down my spine. fucking brilliant

i was like 7th row stones side @ Holmdel .

ed climbed up on the speaker kits during porch it was crazy.

like you said, he improvised that " growin' up " after making reference to Bruces selling out like 50 nights at CAA that tour. I think he actually left a few verses out or mixed them up, then candidly said afterwards " did i fuck it up ? ...." :eek:
    also - as i walked into holmdel- SK was doing a hardcore thrasher version of " thunder road "

i knew it was going to be an awesome night.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    i was like 7th row stones side @ Holmdel .

ed climbed up on the speaker kits during porch it was crazy.

like you said, he improvised that " growin' up " after making reference to Bruces selling out like 50 nights at CAA that tour. I think he actually left a few verses out or mixed them up, then candidly said afterwards " did i fuck it up ? ...." :eek:
    also - as i walked into holmdel- SK was doing a hardcore thrasher version of " thunder road "

i knew it was going to be an awesome night.

yah im so jealous that you were there.
  • Options
    1. Radio Nowhere
    2. No Surrender
    3. Lonesome Day
    4. Gypsy Biker
    5. Magic
    6. Reason to Believe
    7. Adam Raised a Cain
    8. She's the One
    9. Livin' In The Future
    10. Promised Land
    11. Your Own Worst Enemy
    12. Backstreets
    13. Cadillac Ranch
    14. Devil's Arcade
    15. The Rising
    16. Last To Die
    17. Long Walk Home
    18. Badlands

Encores:
    19. Girls In Their Summer Clothes
    20. Thundercrack*
    21. Born To Run
    22. Dancing in The Dark
    23. American Land

another 23 song setlist.

niiiiiice

theres not really much to complain about here, even with the same old same old.

backstreets !

niiiiiiiice .

We'll see how the Night 2 Rule takes effect tomorrow night.
    maybe a tour premiere or other rare nugget. ?
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    I would instantly cream my pants if I heard "Backstreets"
  • Options
    I would instantly cream my pants if I heard "Backstreets"

yeah , i think i did .

October 21 / Chicago, IL / United Center

Notes: Heading into tonight's show, the first of two in Chi-town, a friend of mine (who can't make it for show #2) was concerned about "First Night Syndrome" -- in which the first of a two-night stand gets a straight "model A" setlist, with all the rarities saved for night two. No worries this time. Who knows, Bruce may go completely off the map tomorrow, but Chicago 1 got a nice batch of wild cards. "No Surrender" had only its third tour airing, "Adam Raised a Cain" was the meat in that always-tasty "Reason"/"She's the One" sandwich, and check out the post-"Promised Land" three-pack: "Your Own Worst Enemy" (played tonight for the second time ever), "Backstreets," and "Cadillac Ranch."

Patti was absent tonight, and Bruce dedicated "Girls in Their Summer Clothes" to her: "Patti sends her regards... it's a kid thing, that's all I can tell ya!" The band's other redhead, Soozie Tyrell, came downstage from behind the piano to take Patti's spot, even dueting with Bruce on "Magic."

Introducing "Thundercrack" as his original showstopper, Bruce said that the song "goes all the way back to the Quiet Knight days." The Quiet Knight was a Chicago club that no longer exists -- Springsteen played a five-night stand there, opening for The Persuasions, back in 1973. Sensing that the reference might not mean much to some in the crowd, Bruce added, "that was way back before the Fire."

Setlist:
    Radio Nowhere
    No Surrender
    Lonesome Day
    Gypsy Biker
    Magic
    Reason to Believe
    Adam Raised a Cain
    She's the One
    Livin' in the Future
    The Promised Land
    Your Own Worst Enemy
    Backstreets
    Cadillac Ranch
    Devil's Arcade
    The Rising
    Last to Die
    Long Walk Home
    Badlands
    Girls in Their Summer Clothes
    Thundercrack
    Born to Run
    Dancing in the Dark
    American Land
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Hey Bathgate, cheers for the files and the write-up from the show, sounds incredible!

Since you seem to be in the know about all things Bruce, any chance you know of a good Springsteen message board? I really want to go to his show at the O2 arena in London, but it's way sold out and tickets are going for hundreds on ebay. I know it's a long shot, but there might be someone out there with a couple of spares prepared to sell at face value.
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Bathgate, where's the best place to look for uploaded versions of last nights show? It was my first ESB show and is easily the second best concert I've ever been to---only outdone by The Vic.
  • Options
    LedZepFan wrote:

i have a work in progress version that sounds like crap. it's basically just the chorus and maybe a few other lines. not finished.
  • Options
    just had a religious moment listening to Clarence play jungleland at MSG. Man, he's still got it!
  • Options
    Bathgate, where's the best place to look for uploaded versions of last nights show? It was my first ESB show and is easily the second best concert I've ever been to---only outdone by The Vic.

the bruce community hasnt been as spoiled as us pearl jam faithful, not as far as official bootlegs.
    i would begin to look at the backstreets official bootleg index, previously mentioned numerous times in this thread, located here by the user Villa Park, and it is really amazing.

Alltho the quality is a shot in the dark we have to remember that these go back to the 1970s ( as Bruces music does ) as that alone makes them worth " more " .

best of luck- these will keep anyone busy for some time .
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    any chance you know of a good Springsteen message board?

greasylake ,

and of course the BTX , brokn down by " ticket needers"
    "ticket holders" and of course the " Vineyards "

al located here, and of course my name is there also. ;)

best of luck.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Here's a question for anyone who's been in the pit section this tour? You don't lose your right to be in the pit if you go out to the bathroom or get food do you? I know you'd probably lose your actual spot in the pit if you go out, but you'd get let back in with your wristband right?
  • Options
    great great great set list tonight. thunder road finally! and spirit in the night AND tunnel of love. i also love prove it all night in the 2-spot. great set list.
  • Options
    http://brucespringsteen.net/art/setlists/102207-handwritten.pdf

Looks like "I'll work for your love" may be played on Thursday.....
  • Options
    October 22 / Chicago, IL / United Center
    Notes: What was that I said yesterday about First Night Syndrome? Not that Chicago 1 was at all shabby... but this second show knocked it out of the park. (Whether Wrigley or U.S. Cellular Field, we'll leave that to you). Six songs not played the night before, including three tour premieres. "Tunnel of Love," always a thrill to get, featured Patti, who was back on stage tonight, and white-hot guitar work from Nils -- on his second solo, he even played with his teeth. That was the first of a non-stop three pack, going right into a fine "Spirit in the Night" with "Darlington County" immediately following, featuring Clarence and Soozie really hamming it up. "Devil's Arcade" was dedicated to Tom Brokaw.

Clearly about to play "Girls in Their Summer Clothes," Springsteen called quite an audible to lead off the encore instead. The change of heart came from seeing some kids right up front in the pit: "There are a lot of young folks up here tonight," he said, switching guitars and calling out (an un-soundchecked) "Thunder Road" to the band. "Last time we played this was five years ago... but we played it for 35 years before that, so maybe it'll balance out." It did -- well-rested, with Bruce clearly wanting to play it rather than feeling obligated, it was the best "Thunder Road" in recent memory. The crowd lapped it up. No Double Thunder, though -- Bruce dropped "Thundercrack" from its usual slot, keeping the encore to just four songs. A very different experience from the second night in Philadelphia -- while Philly 2 was all about intensity, tonight in Chicago was very fun and loose -- but they're evenly matched as the best of the tour so far.

Setlist:
    Radio Nowhere
    Prove It All Night
    Lonesome Day
    Gypsy Biker
    Magic
    Reason to Believe
    Candy's Room
    She's the One
    Livin' in the Future
    The Promised Land
    Tunnel of Love
    Spirit in the Night
    Darlington County
    Devil's Arcade
    The Rising
    Last to Die
    Long Walk Home
    Badlands
    Thunder Road
    Born to Run
    Dancing in the Dark
    American Land
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    Here's a question for anyone who's been in the pit section this tour? You don't lose your right to be in the pit if you go out to the bathroom or get food do you? I know you'd probably lose your actual spot in the pit if you go out, but you'd get let back in with your wristband right?

the floor has been divided into 3 pit sections.

sure,... if you leave the front pit section, you'll be allowed back in, but it will be tough work to get back to your original spot.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    the floor has been divided into 3 pit sections.

sure,... if you leave the front pit section, you'll be allowed back in, but it will be tough work to get back to your original spot.

Oh yeah I totally know that, but I was in the middle of the 2nd section in Ottawa, and I'd settle for last row in first pit section this time!

And it looks like Chicago 2 is one I wish I was at. I loved Tunnel of Love - it was one of my favorite albums.
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    October 22 / Chicago, IL / United Center
    Notes: What was that I said yesterday about First Night Syndrome? Not that Chicago 1 was at all shabby... but this second show knocked it out of the park. (Whether Wrigley or U.S. Cellular Field, we'll leave that to you). Six songs not played the night before, including three tour premieres. "Tunnel of Love," always a thrill to get, featured Patti, who was back on stage tonight, and white-hot guitar work from Nils -- on his second solo, he even played with his teeth. That was the first of a non-stop three pack, going right into a fine "Spirit in the Night" with "Darlington County" immediately following, featuring Clarence and Soozie really hamming it up. "Devil's Arcade" was dedicated to Tom Brokaw.

Clearly about to play "Girls in Their Summer Clothes," Springsteen called quite an audible to lead off the encore instead. The change of heart came from seeing some kids right up front in the pit: "There are a lot of young folks up here tonight," he said, switching guitars and calling out (an un-soundchecked) "Thunder Road" to the band. "Last time we played this was five years ago... but we played it for 35 years before that, so maybe it'll balance out." It did -- well-rested, with Bruce clearly wanting to play it rather than feeling obligated, it was the best "Thunder Road" in recent memory. The crowd lapped it up. No Double Thunder, though -- Bruce dropped "Thundercrack" from its usual slot, keeping the encore to just four songs. A very different experience from the second night in Philadelphia -- while Philly 2 was all about intensity, tonight in Chicago was very fun and loose -- but they're evenly matched as the best of the tour so far.

Setlist:
    Radio Nowhere
    Prove It All Night
    Lonesome Day
    Gypsy Biker
    Magic
    Reason to Believe
    Candy's Room
    She's the One
    Livin' in the Future
    The Promised Land
    Tunnel of Love
    Spirit in the Night
    Darlington County
    Devil's Arcade
    The Rising
    Last to Die
    Long Walk Home
    Badlands
    Thunder Road
    Born to Run
    Dancing in the Dark
    American Land

that is seriously magical...no pun intended
  • Options
    I just want to give a big FUCK YOU to the United Center for their inability to handle what would be a real easy ticket situation. I have no problem with the wristband method, but if you had floor tickets you couldn't go through any of the main gates. Someone should let us know this after we waited over an hour in line at gate 3 only to be disallowed and told to get in another line which was fuckin ridiculously long and had to wait over another hour in that line. What a huge shit they took on us, we had to stand in the back and were there hours before people ahead of us.

SO FUCK YOU UNITED CENTER !!!!!

kiss my ass in the Town Square :D
    the Minions
  • Options
    I just want to give a big FUCK YOU to the United Center for their inability to handle what would be a real easy ticket situation. I have no problem with the wristband method, but if you had floor tickets you couldn't go through any of the main gates. Someone should let us know this after we waited over an hour in line at gate 3 only to be disallowed and told to get in another line which was fuckin ridiculously long and had to wait over another hour in that line. What a huge shit they took on us, we had to stand in the back and were there hours before people ahead of us.

SO FUCK YOU UNITED CENTER !!!!!

kiss my ass in the Town Square :D

wow

sorry to hear about that , Tribe.
    i have been reading other nightmare stories on the backstreets :
    418 was the number drawn for the pit. 500 people in the pit meant 418-918 were in. One would expect that #919 would be the next person in after the pit line, then 920, 921 and so on -- in fact, that was the format to be followed according to the rules posted on the United Center site and here at Backstreets.

Well, here came Jerry Fox and his little bullhorn announcing that after 918 the line would start back at #1, go 1-417 and then 919-1100+ (never heard the exact # of numbers handed out). Chaos ensued. Jerry claimed he never saw the UC rules -- and shook them off when someone presented him with a printout of the rules from the UC website. "I'm making the rules." And he walked away leaving the crowd to handle it themselves.

You could later see the UC staff arguing with Jerry and pleading him to reconsider. Fell on deaf ears.

Numbers 1 and up gladdly got in line behind 918 while the 919 crowd refused to head back. About 20 minutes later Jerry pulled the 418-918 group off from along the fence where the line had been and moved them out in the street to get in order. This sent everyone else up along the fence in a mob 20 or so people wide by hundreds deep. After the pit line was let in they tried to call out numbers and checked wristbands through the low hundreds, but by this time most were completely out of order and spread throughout the mob, mixing with those who didn't even have lottery number bands. They eventually relented and let the numbered folks in out of order all at once and then the rest. Mass chaos doesn't begin to describe.

And with one little bullhorn in a crowd of over a thousand, if you weren't next to him you couldn't hear what was up at all.

Hats off to the United Center staff. They did the best they could and had everything set until Jerry rolled in. And they were the ones who had to take the heat as everyone assumed they were in charge. The higher up folks in the suits were even out apologizing saying sorry, it was all Bruce's staff who messed it up.

Good ol' Jerry and his little bullhorn.

They had no idea that they were creating a bigger problem for themeselves with this process. Instead of dealing with 300-500 people trying to line up all day or 2 days they are now dealing with over 1000 people. They then try to squeeze all those people through one doorway in the dark. They have created more work for themselves and they are handling it poorly.

I, for one, hate this method. If they insist on this method it needs to get a little more advanced. They need to set up barricades to create actual lines for people to line up in. Have they never been to Disney World?

Here's all you need to know:

- get there for the lottery; show up at 4 or so
    - be prepared for disappointment; your chances are probably 50% at best to get into the pit and probably worse. Don't let the fact that you don't get in ruin your night
    - if your number doesn't come up, come back at 8pm and take a spot near the back of the floor. Sound is great, view is fine, big screens, not crowded and still a better spot than about 85% of the venue
    - if your number does come up, have the time of your life. In my opinion, the chance you might get in the pit is still preferable to the best reserved seats.
    If Springsteen's handlers are trying to avoid "camping out" as some have suggested, then there should be no advantage to arriving early. As it turns out, there are distinct advantages: (1) they run out of lottery wristbands before 5 p.m, meaning you have to get there EARLY to get one; and (2) after the lottery winners get in, the next people to go in are those with the lowest (i.e., earliest to arrive) lottery wristband numbers, meaning you will want one of those too and you can only get that by arriving early. Springsteen's handlers mis-advertised the procedure by saying there is no advantage to getting there early. Fact.

Get your lottery wristband early (i.e., get there at 2), and return at 5 for the drawing. If you "win", great you can stick around and you're in the pit. If you lose, you can stick around and go in before the rest of the GAs in the non-pit area (personally, I wouldn't do this because you're jammed up to the front of the non-pit area and you will have difficulty getting a beer and returning to your spot) or you can return at 730 and get in with the rest of the GAs -- you still get a super view and you have more room at mid-court or back even farther if you choose.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    wow - that isn't too encouraging. Maybe I shouldn't bother trying.... I'll sleep on it.
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    wow - that isn't too encouraging. Maybe I shouldn't bother trying.... I'll sleep on it.

Nah

It's worth the hassle ...believe me

I'd go thru all the shite again
    the Minions