Options

U N C L E *B R U C E* S P R I N G S T E E N *

Comments

• Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Poncier wrote:
    One night, somebody in the band should wear white, just to f with the others.
    I think it is their contracts that they have to wear black...lol
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    If ya'll don't know who Patterson Hood is then you need to know!!!

The Boss is Back?

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - MAGIC

For those of you out there who used to love Bruce Springsteen and perhaps thought that we'd never again hear a new Springsteen album that makes us say "Hell yeah!" again, I'm pleased as shit to report that I think we finally have it.

Upon hearing the single, Radio Nowhere, I was initially amused at how much the opening guitar riff sounded like Jason Isbell's DBT song "Never Gonna Change". Not in a bad way, Lord knows I spent enough of my youth emulating Bruce so a little unintentional payback was kinda a sweet irony. (One could make a fun game of going through Adam's House Cat's Town Burned Down album and counting the moments where I rip off the Boss, but I digress). Still, I liked it better than any single he's released in a long time and I hoped that it was in indicator of how the new album might sound.

Upon first hearing the new album (which like any self-respecting modern day fanatic, I ripped off and illegally burned, no worry though, as I have purchased the vinyl now and by the way KUDOS for
    releasing it on beloved 33 1/3 a week before the CD comes out. Too fucking cool. I hope our label will do that with our next album, but again, i digress). Where was I? Oh yeah, upon first hearing it I was thrilled to like it so much. Hell, I proclaimed, best damned Bruce album since 1987's Tunnel of Love.

Oh, i've been a little tough on my childhood hero in the past decade or so. I skated through the bad 90's making the best of whatever happened. Tom Joad really did have some great songs, i just couldn't really listen to it all that much. The show I saw on that tour was incredible, but certainly not a ROCKSHOW. The Rising was supposed to be the "return to form" but I fucking hated it (except for the song Empty Sky, which I really loved). The rest of it, i'd honestly just as soon hear his so-called mid life crisis albums (Human Touch anyone?).

Really wanted to like Devils and Dust, but just didn't. I did like the Pete Seeger thing, especially the live shows from it and held out hope that maybe this new revitalization would bleed into his next album of new original material.

Boy did it.

Upon about ten more listens (don't think I ever made it through The Rising that many times) I've changed my mind.

Magic is flat out my favorite Bruce Springsteen album since 1982's masterpiece Nebraska.

For years, I've held out some small hope that he'd make another Rock record like Darkness on the Edge of Town. Instead, he's given us a killer pop record like The River. (Which for the record is my all time fave, although the 78-82 period is pretty much perfect to me). At his prime, Bruce was the master at blurring the lines between the personal and the political and wrapping a message up in a pop song format. This time he's delivered the goods (and boy, do we need it now!)

He's obviously pissed, but who ain't. Only a moron can look around and not see that shit is fucked up. Only a master can take that anger and create great art from it. It may not change the world, but we all need a soundtrack as we deal with the daily bullshit. When I was a teenager, it was Springsteen's music that literally kept me going when I felt alienated from the world and alone out there. Now as I'm a forty plus year old man with a wife and kid of my own, I'm awfully proud and pleased to have a great new Bruce Springsteen album to crank up in the car as I pull out of here to win.
    For Those About To Rock !

Art changes people. People change the world.
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    for NJ - 10-10 Show

Sporadically dropping now on TM.

best of luck !
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Section
    Row
    Seats
    Description
    3 - 4
    Price Level 1
    Upper Level Seating
    Rear Stage Seating
    Type
    2 Full Price Ticket

Ticket Price
    US $95.00 x 2

Convenience Charge
    US $10.95 x 2

Building Facility Charge
    US $2.00 x 2
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Meadowlands Magic

Meadowland Magic: Bruce Springsteen still in top form

Wednesday, October 10th 2007, 4:00 AM

Bruce Springteen performs at the Meadowlands in front of a full-house of fans.

Read the Daily News' complete coverage of Bruce Springsteen's new album and tour

On what was quite likely the last summery day of 2007, Bruce Springsteen came home to the Meadowlands to sing about girls in their summer clothes passing him by.

Do not feel sorry for Bruce, however. A packed house of 20,000 hometown fans at the Continental Arena made it clear that they will follow him anywhere always, especially if he brings along the E Street Band.

He's now one week into an E Street reunion tour supporting his new CD, "Magic," which he says was conceived as a rock 'n' roll record that would be fun to play on stage.

It does seem to be that, from the show-opening "Radio Nowhere" to the lilting, wistful "Girls in Their Summer Clothes," whose chorus is already a sing-along.

The new songs take about a third of the show, leaving room for more than a dozen tunes from his archives, and he pleased the people mightily last night by pulling out familiar anthems like "Darlington County" and a full-throttle "Badlands" alongside a hard-core-fan fave like "Thundercrack."

As usual, he discovered a semisleeper, this time a driving rendition of the "Nebraska" song "Reason to Believe."

What's still in progress is the hardest part of a tour like this, which is giving it a center and the musical flow Springsteen is always chasing. He wants his shows to say something, to combine the old and new in a way that conveys the eternal hope of youth, the acquired caution and wisdom of experience, the peril of the political times, the durability of faith, the communion of music and, oh, yeah, the pure fun of rock 'n' roll.

All those themes run through "Magic." They also run through songs from "She's the One" to "Devil's Arcade," and this could be a tour where Springsteen is rearranging the puzzle pieces until the end - because there's no single winning combination.

He introduces the new "Living in the Future" with a warning about attacks on the Bill of Rights and other disturbing developments "that aren't just un-American, they're anti-American." He follows it by reaching back three decades for "Promised Land," a counternote of hope.

He also fills the show with a lot of guitar-powered instrumental sections and finishes with the toe-tapping "American Land." If the girls in their summer clothes passed him by on their way home, it's a safe bet that at the very least, they winked
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,639
    I don't know how someone could praise Magic and then dislike The Rising. That is just stupid.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    I don't know how someone could praise Magic and then dislike The Rising. That is just stupid.

I agree. It seems that hard core Bruce fans seem to not like the Rising. I got into him with that album and think it is one of the best albums I have by any artist. I like it better than Magic, and I really like Magic a lot.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    VH1- Classics 24 Hours Of Bruce Springsteen culminated tonight with the first 3 songs of tonights Meadowlands Concert- LIVE-

Radio Nowhere >>

into

Night >>

into

Lonesome Day

the sound at the Meadowlands sounded very bad ( horrible as a matter of fact )
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    1. Radio Nowhere
    2. Night
    3. Lonesome Day
    4. Gypsy Biker
    5. Magic
    6. Reason to Believe Blues
    7. Adam Raised a Cain
    8. She's the One
    9. Living in the Future
    10. CYNTHIA (Magic Tour Premier)
    11. The Promised Land
    12. A Town Called Heartbreak
    13. Incident On 57th Street
    14. Your Own Worst Enemy -- World Premier
    15. You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch) (Magic Tour Premier)
    16. Devils Arcade
    17. The Rising
    18. Last to Die
    19. Long Walk Home
    20. Badlands

21. Girls in Their Summer Clothes
    22. Thundercrack
    23. Born To Run
    24. Dancing In The Dark
    25. American Land
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Any news on the start times? I know someone mentioned that he came on late...my ticket says a 730 start

Please help as time is running tight the night I need to go and I'm wondering if anyone has any input.

Thanks!!
    For Those About To Rock !

Art changes people. People change the world.
  • Options
    only the 2nd Time " " Cynthia " has been played live by The ESB ( alltho Bruce has played it- from the Tracks Album ) , and the tour premiere of " Adam Raised A Cain "

hot damn !

10/10, NEW JERSEY 2: IT'S A NUGGET IF YOU DUG IT
    Springsteen was a man on a mission tonight -- very on, very pumped, and putting on a "this is how it's done" kind of show at the Meadowlands. This one hit all generations of fans, stretching out to 25 songs, with no less than four tour premieres. Not the kind of show Jersey often gets, frankly. But for this last scheduled stop in his home state -- which found Bruce repeating, "let me hear from my homies!" -- he was clearly determined to deliver. Anyone with VH1 got to see that opening three-fer, a delicious "Night" sandwich... but the big surprises came after the cameras were off. The tour debut of "Adam Raised a Cain" was shit hot and rocking, to quote a favorite old bootleg title; "Cynthia," an audible (and only the second time the E Street Band has done this one live), kicked ass, too. The live debut of "Your Own Worst Enemy" came with a few false starts, Danny starting things off at first, then a change of guitars... Bruce said it was a "debate society" up there. Once they got this "never before attempted" Magic song going, though, it was a success. (Well, to us, anyway. Bruce said afterwards, "That's close!") Strangely, there was a bigger response for this one than for tonight's "Incident on 57th Street." But the Jersey crowd has its own sensibilities: based on the cheers for the items on his list of what makes America great, Bruce remarked, "Ah, the Bill of Rights is under Max's hot dogs, that's not good!" The fourth tour premiere, "You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)," featured some fiery guitar solos, and a particularly fine performance from the Big Man: "Hey you! Get out the car!" In the encore, "Thundercrack" was dedicated to "our good friend Lenny Kaye," the dean of garage rock, Patti Smith Group guitarist, and curator of the original Nuggets. Kaye was in the pit tonight, and as he said to a friend as "American Land" wrapped up the show: "...and a great time was had by all."

Next: Take off to the Great White North, with Ottawa and Toronto on Sunday and Monday.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Any news on the start times? I know someone mentioned that he came on late...my ticket says a 730 start

Please help as time is running tight the night I need to go and I'm wondering if anyone has any input.

Thanks!!

theres no consistency there- anywhere from 8 o clock to 830 .
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    theres no consistency there- anywhere from 8 o clock to 830 .

Is there an opening band?
  • Options
    Is there an opening band?

seriously?

for Bruce ?

:confused:

to quote pearl jam :

" No Way ! '
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    seriously?

for Bruce ?

:confused:

to quote pearl jam :

" No Way ! '

I didn't know that either. It's not exactly common knowledge.
  • Options
    I didn't know that either. It's not exactly common knowledge.

forgive me if i came off like that

nobody opens for bruce and e street band,
    unless it is a multi- billed event ( such as Vote For Change )
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:

Nah, you didn't come across as anything. I thought I was going to have to sit through an opening band in Chicago in 2 weeks, pumped to know I won't have to.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    "Cynthia" is a bad song. BAD.

"Cindy" is a good song. a very good song.

the sound from the VH1 Live thing last night was pretty bad. almost change-the-channel bad.
  • Options
    "Cynthia" is a bad song. BAD.

proof this board is as diverse as it can get , i wouldnt classify " cynthia " as 2 x bad . its off of " tracks " which clearly hasnt sold like other springsteen albums. only for the diehards maybe ?
    "Cindy" is a good song. a very good song.
    i dont know "cindy" so i cant comment.
    the sound from the VH1 Live thing last night was pretty bad. almost change-the-channel bad.

agree here,
    especially stevens vocals on " radio nowhere "
    blech.
    but then again, it is the continental arena ( izod arena ? gimme a break ! they should have a huge mural on the outside, a huge shark jumping over the arena )
    i still chose to watch & record all 3 songs onto a DVD.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    proof this board is as diverse as it can get , i wouldnt classify " cynthia " as 2 x bad . its off of " tracks " which clearly hasnt sold like other springsteen albums. only for the diehards maybe ?

i dont know "cindy" so i cant comment.

agree here,
    especially stevens vocals on " radio nowhere "
    blech.
    but then again, it is the continental arena ( izod arena ? gimme a break ! they should have a huge mural on the outside, a huge shark jumping over the arena )
    i still chose to watch & record all 3 songs onto a DVD.

Little Steven was AWFUL on Radio Nowhere, but you guys are right, the sound there seemed pretty terrible.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    Bathgate66 wrote:

Is that how it has always been? Is there a reason?
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:

besides vote for change,

i dont ever remeber any opening bands.

i do not know the reason for this,
    besides that many of those years Bruce & ESB put on 4 hour shows, who needs an opener when you play for 4 or even 3 hours.

afterall, he is The Boss

;)
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    SPEAKING TRUTHINESS TO POWER

Not to be outdone by "Papa Bear" Bill O'Reilly, who recently issued a challenge for Springsteen to enter his "No Spin Zone," Stephen Colbert has given the Boss his dreaded Wag of the Finger. On last night's Colbert Report [watch the clip at www.colbertnation.com], the host admitted that he's a big fan of the anti-immigrant song "Born in the U.S.A." ("I think there were some verses... but I'm more of a chorus guy"), but he draws the line at Magic, which is "packed with anti-war, Bush-hating propaganda. Not that I've listened to it yet."

"There's only one way for you to redeem yourself, sir," Colbert addressed Springsteen through the magic of television, "come on my show and apologize!"

"You know what?" he continued, "I'll be big about it, you don't even have to apologize -- just come on my show. I'll tell you what, I'll apologize. Come on my show. Please."

Mr. Springsteen, the gauntlet has been thrown.
    -October 11, 2007
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    SPEAKING TRUTHINESS TO POWER

Not to be outdone by "Papa Bear" Bill O'Reilly, who recently issued a challenge for Springsteen to enter his "No Spin Zone," Stephen Colbert has given the Boss his dreaded Wag of the Finger. On last night's Colbert Report [watch the clip at colbertnation.com], the host admitted that he's a big fan of the anti-immigrant song "Born in the U.S.A." ("I think there were some verses... but I'm more of a chorus guy"), but he draws the line at Magic, which is "packed with anti-war, Bush-hating propaganda. Not that I've listened to it yet."

"There's only one way for you to redeem yourself, sir," Colbert addressed Springsteen through the magic of television, "come on my show and apologize!"

"You know what?" he continued, "I'll be big about it, you don't even have to apologize -- just come on my show. I'll tell you what, I'll apologize. Come on my show. Please."

Mr. Springsteen, the gauntlet has been thrown.
    -October 11, 2007

I'd really love to see Bruce do both of those shows. He'd put Papa Bear in his place and you can really tell Stephen wants him to come on the show.
  • Options
    I'd really love to see Bruce do both of those shows. He'd put Papa Bear in his place and you can really tell Stephen wants him to come on the show.

those duets he does with the various artists are funny
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:

i inquired about this at the btx forums and i got this response from jjbradley:
    I checked my copy of "Blinded by the Light". I have a little info from photos of posters from the good old days.

Martin Mull opened in Gaithersburg, MD on October 11, 1974
    Goose Creek Symphony opened in Richmond, VA on January 25, 1974

These weren't tours such as today. An opening act was probably booked by the venue and not by Mike Appel.

Bruce was still an opening act on occasion
    May 9, 1974 for Bonnie Raitt
    July 25, 1974 for Dr. John
    August 3, 1974 for Anne Murray. Upstaged Anne badly.
    Bruce and band opened for Chuck Berry once and played as Chuck's backup band.

and this from bev
    I have mentioned this story here before...I was at the infamous Chicago concert at MSG when Bruce opened in 1975-Bruce was the opening act, and was literally booed off the stage. HE LEFT. he was playing piano, barely brought out the band, and was booed.

he has said that becuase of the horrific experience, he would never have an opening act becuase he did not want them to go through what he went through.

PS...my brother had seen him at Max kansas city just a few weeks prior, and he was just about to bust out, and he told me how great this guy was. Poor me, had no idea what i had just missed.....
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Magic Lyric Booklet offered by Backstreets com :

MagicLyricbookCover.jpg

MagicLyricbook1.jpg

MagicLyricbook2.jpg

MagicLyricbook3.jpg

MagicLyricbook4.jpg

MagicLyricbook5.jpg

MagicLyricbook6.jpg

MagicLyricbook7.jpg

MagicLyricbook8.jpg

MagicLyricbook9.jpg

MagicLyricbook10.jpg

MagicLyricbook11.jpg

MagicLyricbook12Backcover.jpg

i just found myself in this photo from Friday Night in Philly

im all the way right, just over Soozies shoulder.

E Street Band - Philly 10-04-07
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:

more on this from backstreets / btx :
    There were other, more obscure artists....but these are the more well-known ones that opened for Bruce & The ESB on the Greetings and Wiess Tours (up to spring 1975).

ELEPHANTS MEMORY
    AZTEC TWO STEP
    BOB MARLEY & THE WAILERS....probably the one most people would have liked to have been at.
    EDGAR WINTER'S WHITE TRASH
    ORLEANS
    JAMES MONTGOMERY BAND
    RICHIE HAVENS
    HALL & OATES
    CHARLIE DANIELS BAND
    JIM MARINO BAND......group featured Max Weinberg on drums, pre-ESB
    THE PERSUASIONS
    AEROSMITH........................the undercard, but I think they played after B&ESB
    FAIRPORT CONVENTION......the undercard, but I think they played after B&ESB
    CHICK COREA
    WENDY WALDMAN
    ELLEN MCILWAINE
    BONNIE RAITT
    MICHAEL STANLEY BAND
    ANNE MURRAY
    DANNY O'KEEFE
    ROGER MCGUINN
    TIM WEISBERG & JOHN HAMMOND JR
    INCREDIBLE STRING BAND
    MARTIN MULL
    JOHN SEBASTIAN
    DAN FOGELBERG
    DR JOHN

From the start of the BTR Tour (mid 75) onwards there was no opening act.
    platessmall.jpg