Rink
    Bobcaygeon
    In View
    Scared
    NOIS
    Fire
    Fully
    Blow

wow! this show was incredible! really high energy set list... the guys were on fire! :)
    the crowd was great too! what a way to end their Frosh Week celebrations!

met a couple of really cool people in the front row - one woman about my age, who was finally seeing them for the first time after being a fan for years, and her father, who was about 70 years old... he was a radio DJ for many years and has been a Hip fan since the beginning. they were both so sweet and made me feel at home, even though i was 4 provinces away... :p

highlight of the night: Gord threw me one of his handkerchiefs!! :D:D

here's a few pics:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/civ_eng_girl/The%20Hip%20in%20Cape%20Breton/DSC02688.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/civ_eng_girl/The%20Hip%20in%20Cape%20Breton/DSC02698.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/civ_eng_girl/The%20Hip%20in%20Cape%20Breton/DSC02699.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/civ_eng_girl/The%20Hip%20in%20Cape%20Breton/DSC02703.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/civ_eng_girl/The%20Hip%20in%20Cape%20Breton/DSC02710.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/civ_eng_girl/The%20Hip%20in%20Cape%20Breton/DSC02713.jpg
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Great pics! I especially like the one of Paul.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    Going to see them for the first time ever in London this Friday. Can't wait.

Hoping to get at least one of Pigeon Camera, Goodnight Josephine, Direwolf & Travelling Man. If they play all 4 and I never never recover ;)
  • Soupy wrote:
    Going to see them for the first time ever in London this Friday. Can't wait.

Hoping to get at least one of Pigeon Camera, Goodnight Josephine, Direwolf & Travelling Man. If they play all 4 and I never never recover ;)

rare stuff you want there, ill be hoping for you... ive got 12 shows in me and have seen those all ONCE and never Josephine.....
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    Great pics! I especially like the one of Paul.

thanks! :) i actaully have that one set to my desktop background right now... :p

i especially like the ones of Billy - he's my favorite band member... ;)
  • So, since the Sydney show, I've been loving Ahead By A Century... :D

which prompted me to re-arrange my top 10 songs, because I don't think it was in it before:

1. Scared
    2. It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
    3. Long Time Running
    4. Bobcaygeon
    5. Fire In The Hole
    6. Escape Is At Hand...
    7. Ahead By A Century
    8. Lake Fever
    9. Last Night I Dreamed...
    10. Wheat Kings

Not to mention Daredevil, Grace Too, Fiddler's Green, etc... etc...

damn, i knew i couldn't narrow it down... :o
    So, since the Sydney show, I've been loving Ahead By A Century... :D

which prompted me to re-arrange my top 10 songs, because I don't think it was in it before:

1. Scared
    2. It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
    3. Long Time Running
    4. Bobcaygeon
    5. Fire In The Hole
    6. Escape Is At Hand...
    7. Ahead By A Century
    8. Lake Fever
    9. Last Night I Dreamed...
    10. Wheat Kings

Not to mention Daredevil, Grace Too, Fiddler's Green, etc... etc...

damn, i knew i couldn't narrow it down... :o

Top 10 Hip songs, eh. That's a tough call, but I'll give it a shot:

1. The Dire Wolf
    2. Nautical Disaster
    3. Escape is at Hand for the Travellin Man
    4. Pigeon Camera
    5. Last Night I Dreamed You Didn't Love Me
    6. Leave
    7. Cordelia
    8. Yawning or Snarling
    9. Bobcaygeon
    10. The Lonely End of the Rink

honorable mentions:
    pretty much every other song in their catalogue.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    Errr Top Ten Hip songs...? I love all of them! :D

Anyway, I guess this is my list for the moment, with the exception of "Ahead By A Century and "Boots or Hearts"...always been my top 2 fave Hip songs.

1] Ahead By A Century
    2] Boots or Hearts

3] Locked in the Trunk of a Car
    4] Pigeon Camera
    5] Bobcaygeon
    6] Emperor Penguin
    7] Scared
    8] Fly
    9] Tiger the Lion
    10] Luv (sic)

I'm sure my list will change again tomorrow. :p
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
  • I wasn't really a fan of the song when I first heard it but I love how In View sounds live compared to the CD version.
    Top Ten Hip songs.

Tough one, lets see.

1. Direwolf.
    2. Goodnight Josephine.
    3. Pigeon Camera.
    4. Escape.....
    5. The Darkest One.
    6. 3 Pistols.
    7. Bob.
    8. Stay.
    9. Fully Completely.
    10. Nautical Disaster.

Albums.

Fully Completely.
    Phantom Power.
    In Between Evolutions.
    In Violet Light.
    Day For Night.
    Road Apples.
    World Container.
    Up To Here.
    Music@Work
    Trouble at the Henhouse.
    Baby Blue Debut.
  • crap! i forgot about Fully Completely and Nautical!!! :o

they are 5.5 and 7.5 on my list... :p:D
    crap! i forgot about Fully Completely and Nautical!!! :o

they are 5.5 and 7.5 on my list... :p:D

Fully is such a kick-ass song when they do it live. The album version doesn't even compare. I love how the intensity keeps building and building until it explodes into that final verse/chorus with Downie goin' crazy, and then it all comes crashing back down into that gentle 2-chord riff at the end, almost as if the song is exhausted and needs to rest. I saw them open with that song in San Francisco once, and the audience didn't know what hit them. The way this band plays with dynamics in their music is pure genius. They really are a cut above the rest when it comes to songcraft.

-Tom Waits
    New show announced:

Oct. 24
    Philadelphia, PA
    The Fillmore at Theatre of Living Arts

Tickets: $25
    On-sale: Friday at 12pm.

-Tom Waits
  • all I have to say is LED ZEPPELIN
  • all I have to say is LED ZEPPELIN

The kids don't get it
    Setlist- Oosterpoort, Groningen, Netherlands, 09/23/07:

Rink
    New O.
    Fully
    Good life
    Ocean
    Courage
    ABAC
    In view
    Poets
    World
    Springtime
    Meridian
    Kids
    Bob C.
    Fireworks
    Blow
    Family band
    Grace
    Music

-Tom Waits
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    wow it would be very cool seeing the hip overseas
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • bharQ wrote:
    wow it would be very cool seeing the hip overseas

exactly what i was thinking, id love to see a crowd react to them that far away from kanata
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • so, i watched That Night In Toronto for the first time on the weekend.....
    and i was surprised to hear an early version of Fly during 100th Meridian! :p
    I always find it interesting how long songs or riffs or ideas float around amongst a band before they gets released on an album....
    very cool! :D
    Saw them on Friday night London. My first Hip show they are a brilliant live and Gord is completely mad :)

90% (seriously i'm not exagerating) of the crowd were Canadian's which was interesting, it's a sad shame no-one in the UK knows about this band, but on the plus side the canadians at the gig were really nice people and I think they enjoyed seeing the Hip play in a smaller venue than they would in Canada (Astoria holds 2000 and it wasn't full - you could still buy tickets at the door).

All in all a great night, even if the setlist didn't include any of the songs I really wanted to hear!
    Soupy wrote:
    Saw them on Friday night London. My first Hip show they are a brilliant live and Gord is completely mad :)

90% (seriously i'm not exagerating) of the crowd were Canadian's which was interesting, it's a sad shame no-one in the UK knows about this band

Glad to hear you enjoyed the show! They really are one of the best live bands out there. I actually find it somewhat surprising they're not more well-known over there, simply due to the fact that the Stereophonics are HUGE Hip fans. Kelly Jones mentions them all the time in interviews, and the 'Phonics even recorded a cover of "Fiddler's Green" as one of their b-sides a few years back. I remember an interview he did with Q Magazine where he mentioned that they used to play Hip covers and pass them off as their own songs back when they were starting out. The last time they played in Canada in 2003, they were one of the Hip's opening acts at the final Molson Park show in Barrie. That would've been a cool show.

-Tom Waits
    You can't buy Tragically Hip albums in the UK they have never released any you can only get them on import. Obvisously the same applies to singles.
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    The last time they played in Canada in 2003, they were one of the Hip's opening acts at the final Molson Park show in Barrie. That would've been a cool show.

i was at that show! :)

i don't remember the Stereophonics though... i don't really know them.

i think the most memorable part of that night was during the Our Lady Peace set, the audience sang "4 am".... the entire thing.... Raine didn't even sing, he just sat back and listenened... he was almost in tears by the end of it... it was very moving....

the Hip were pretty good too... :p
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    OK...game on..

Top Ten Hip songs.

1. Locked in the Trunk of the Car (what a surprise!)
    2. Grace, too (any live version, hate the studio version)
    3. 50 Mission Cap (did I mention I have NEVER been to Canada?)
    4. Lionized
    5. Wheat Kings
    6. Dire Wolf (soooo under-rated.. should have been a US single)
    7. Bring it all back
    8. Fiddler's Green (I dare anyone not to cry listening to this song)
    9. Fully Completely (agree with prior post.. must be heard live)..
    10. Opiated

Albums: (in order of best to least)

Fully Completely.
    Road Apples
    In Violet Light
    Phantom Power
    Trouble at the Henhouse
    Day For Night
    Up To Here
    In Between Evolutions
    World Container
    Music@Work
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
    Setlist- Paradiso, Amsterdam, Netherlands 09/24/07:

Ocean
    Music
    Grace
    Good Life
    Drop-Off
    ABAC
    In View
    Poets
    Daredevil
    World
    Springtime
    Meridian
    Rink
    Bob C.
    Family Band
    Bones
    Johnny Appleseed (Joe Strummer)
    Kids
    Verge

-Tom Waits
    Setlist- Paradiso, Amsterdam (night #2), 09/25/07:

Rink
    New O.
    Inevitability
    Dire Wolf
    Ocean
    ABAC
    In View
    Courage
    Nautical
    Pretend
    Fireworks
    Long Time
    Kids
    Fully
    Blow
    Family Band
    Magnificent Seven (The Clash)
    Fire

-Tom Waits
    Hey gang! Here's a cool vid of "Grace, Too" from London, England, courtesy of Chris from hipfans.com. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA4ZhGed_7U

-Tom Waits
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    It's like he's getting more and more insane every year....i love it
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    bharQ wrote:
    It's like he's getting more and more insane every year....i love it

Yup. The guy is energy personified. How he can keep that up for 2 hours every night is beyond me. He's easily the most entertaining frontman in the biz.

-Tom Waits
    Interesting article/review from the Netherlands:

http://www.theagitator.net/index.php?/archives/818-The-Tragically-Hip-Prove-Energy-Matters.html

"The Tragically Hip Prove Energy Matters"

Last night, while the billion+ BBC audience (compare that to CNN's 18 million+) heard and saw the headline news of the 10th day of protests in Burma, I decided to check out of real life and and go to a rock concert.

So it was off to a performance in Amsterdam by The Tragically Hip, a Canadian rock group that packs tens of thousands into that country's stadiums and tonight put an impressive 1000+ in Amsterdam's Paradiso, one of the great and original international venues of The Rolling Stones, Dylan, and the other big '70s and '80s artists.

Paradiso was packed as Gord Downie, The Hip's lead singer, dripping sweat onto the front row, mesmerized the largely international audience with a bunch of songs about places which those caught in rapt attention by his performance would never even begin to undrestand. Like his song, “Bobcaygeon”, referring to the lakes-laden, cottage country spot east of Toronto. My guess is that not 1 out of 80 in the audience even recognized Bobcaygeon as a geographical location.

Nonetheless the audience went wild. Why? Because of the energy.

Now, believe me, I’m not a frequenter of rock performances. My American/Canadian partner Janice and her best friend MK dragged me to see “The Hip”, as they’re known by their thousands and thousands of Canadian fans. And, of course, I could go on and on about the quaintness of Canada; the fact that it has a population smaller than the Netherlands, etc., etc., not to mention their essential decency and charming naivete.

But the fact that not only did The Tragically Hip electrify the 85 or so flag-waving Canadians in the audience, it extended its brand beyond the Maple Leaf banner to capture the interest of the 700+ other Dutch, English, French and German folks in Amsterdam audience tonight.

Why? Energy. Pure and simple.

The songs were relevant. The performance superb and especially energetic. Contact with the audience was direct and moving.

It was a charged evening, and got me to thinking how important energy, and being in front of and relevant to your audience is. Not only for rock groups, but also for nonprofits.

Hey! These guys in The Tragically Hip (which by the way contributes significantly to Canadian and international causes) know how to work and involve an audience. Both live and on their website.

So... pleased with the concert, and grateful for the break I went home and back to worrying about Burma.

To see the surprise I found out at home continue below...

Once home, I went to the BBC website and got an update. (Not good. The military regime about to crush the protesters.)

Next, I turned to the human rights websites to see if there was anything I could do about it. I clicked on Amnesty International … then Amnesty U.S … then Amnesty Canada ... and, what the hell, Amnesty UK and Human Rights Watch, to boot.

Nothing. [Well, that’s not entirely correct. Amnesty USA did have a small news piece on Myanmar (the media and most of the rest of the world still refers to it as "Burma") posted on August 31.]

Maybe I’m missing something. But aren’t human rights crises supposedly a font of energy and interest for those of us in their audience who care?

Maybe. But judging from the absence of any current information, the policy-deciders and webmasters are still not sure.

But ... fear not. While Burma may be missing in action, you can buy 1970s music on the Amnesty websites.

And hour by hour, the tension in Burma builds. The threat of arrest, torture and mass slayings increases.

Seems to me that it's about time that not only our comrades in the human rights sector, but other good cause sectors as well, learn something about live, real time energy, relevance and connecting to their audiences with immediacy.

Meanwhile, thank you Tragically Hip. Rock 'n Roll.

Roger

-Tom Waits