Kids
    Grace
    Wheat
    Rink
    Bones
    Mr. Soul (Neil Young)
    Nautical
    Music
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Setlist- House of Blues, Anaheim, CA 03/23/07:

Mr. Soul (Neil Young)

wow one of my favourite neil songs ever.... i love how their covering so much this tour
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Options
    definitely nice to see the mr. soul cover on the setlist. :)

on the solo tour for coke machine glow, i saw gord do "when you dance" which was also pretty sweet. the covers are good. more neil, please! :D
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Setlist- El Rey Theatre, Los Angeles, CA 03/24/07:

In View
    New Orleans Is Sinking
    The Drop Off
    It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
    Family Band
    Ahead By A Century
    Yer Not The Ocean
    Poets
    World Container
    Boots or Hearts
    Springtime In Vienna
    At The Hundredth Meridian
    Bobcaygeon
    The Kids Don't Get It
    Fully Completely
    Scared
    Lonely End Of The Rink
    Blow at high Dough
    Still in Hollywood (Concrete Blonde)
    Grace, Too
    Fire in the Hole
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:

direwolf, we all owe you a timmy's and a box of timbits. :D

"you know, usually when a brassiere flies up on stage i look down at that brassiere and and say yeah, you know, i can do a couple more..." :D

hip! :)
  • Options
    civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    direwolf, we all owe you a timmy's and a box of timbits. :D

hehehe... Timbits...

oh... wait... you're talking about Horton's, aren't you? :o;)

:D;):D
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    Setlist- The Fillmore, San Francisco 03/26/07:

In View
    New Orleans Is Sinking
    The Drop Off
    Family Band
    Ahead By A Century
    Yer Not The Ocean
    Music @ Work
    World Container
    Long Time Running
    Springtime In Vienna
    At The Hundredth Meridian
    Bobcaygeon
    The Kids Don't Get It
    Fully Completely
    Scared
    The Lonely End Of The Rink
    Blow at high Dough
    If You Gotta Go, Go Now (Bob Dylan)
    Courage
    On the Verge

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    lukin321lukin321 Charlotte, NC Posts: 864
    direwolf74 wrote:
    I'm sure they will. According to the band, this current U.S. tour is only the first leg. I wouldn't be surprised if they're touring down there again later this summer or fall.

I sure hope so, the one time I did see them was amazing and i've been waiting impatiently to see them again!
    9/1/98, 8/9/00, 8/12/00, 4/11/03, 4/12/03, 4/13/03, 4/19/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04, 10/3/04, 10/8/04, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/30/2013, 4/8/2016, 4/9/2016, 4/11/2016, 4/13/2016
  • Options
    Hey gang! I just heard that the boys will be doing an interview/acoustic set on KMTT radio in Seattle tomorrow. It airs at 3:15 pm (pacific time). You can hear it online here:

http://www.kmtt.com

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Setlist- Roseland Theatre, Portland, OR 03/28/07:

In View
    New Orleans Is Sinking
    Drop Off
    Family Band
    Ahead By A Century
    Yer Not The Ocean
    Music @ Work
    World Container
    Escape Is At Hand For The Travellin' Man
    Putting Down
    At The Hundredth Meridian (featuring Steve Berlin of Los Lobos on Saxophone)
    Bobcaygeon
    The Kids Don't Get It
    Springtime In Vienna
    Wheat Kings
    The Lonely End Of The Rink
    Blow at high Dough
    So Hard Done By (w/ Steve Berlin)
    Don't Worry Baby (Los Lobos cover, w/ Steve Berlin)
    http://www.thehundredthmeridian.com/downloads/tth2007-03-28-Portland-DontWorryBaby.mp3
    Poets

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,007
    what happened to this being the "greatest setlist" tour?

Gord S.'s selection for the Canadian shows was unmatched...IMO..
    By far the best collection of Hip songs ever performed in a live setting..

But I have have to admit, I'm selfish... the latest US setlists are lame, lame , lame...

WTF?
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    hehehe... Timbits...

oh... wait... you're talking about Horton's, aren't you? :o;)

:D;):D

teeheehee :D;)
  • Options
    lukin321lukin321 Charlotte, NC Posts: 864
    I'm loving that portland setlist!! I should've found a way up to the Atlanta show, hopefully i'll catch them soon!
    9/1/98, 8/9/00, 8/12/00, 4/11/03, 4/12/03, 4/13/03, 4/19/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04, 10/3/04, 10/8/04, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/30/2013, 4/8/2016, 4/9/2016, 4/11/2016, 4/13/2016
  • Options
    locked wrote:
    what happened to this being the "greatest setlist" tour?

Gord S.'s selection for the Canadian shows was unmatched...IMO..
    By far the best collection of Hip songs ever performed in a live setting..

But I have have to admit, I'm selfish... the latest US setlists are lame, lame , lame...

WTF?

I agree the last few setlists have been pretty average, but at least we got Escape is at Hand, Long Time Running, Wheat Kings, Sherpa, Nautical, So Hard Done By, and On The Verge...not to mention all the cool cover tunes. But I definitely hope they mix it up a little more when the tour resumes in Detroit. The setlists out east were much better than the west coast shows.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    to quote our Hip leader on this board:
    Setlist- Brandt Centre, Regina, 01/19/07:

Rink
    Blow
    Fully
    Pigeon
    Family Band
    ABAC
    In View
    Gift
    Gems
    W.C.
    Fireworks
    Meridian
    38 Years Old
    Kids
    Poets
    Wheat
    Ocean
    Fire in the Hole
    Drop Off
    Powderfinger (Neil Young cover)
    New Orleans

Now THAT'S a f**kin setlist!

Nuf said..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    Saw them last night in Seattle with Jamainiac......good times!

:)
  • Options
    locked wrote:

Nuf said..

wasted on Regina....pffff :)
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Options
    Amazing version of Daredevil.... song of the day today from vancouver 96 !
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Options
    Anybody catch the Junos last night? I usually can't stand award shows, but I wanted to see the Hip and K-OS. The boys played a killer version of "Yer Not the Ocean", and Gord's induction speech/poem for Bob Rock was both unique and touching. Here's the poem:

Mercifully, as in love, so it is in music
    We're all fourteen inside.
    With this in mind, thank you for allowing me this moment to be ample and grateful to a great friend of mine,
    And to one of the greatest music lovers of all time.
    Bob Rock, the rock-and-roller, the fan-start, the sound-tiger, the self-imposed rock-and-roll exile, the warm and interesting, interested and alive man of world beyond guile.
    He occurs deeply to people, he has good people in his life, and people hold him dear.
    He trusts his eyes, his ears, his feelings, and it shows in his eyes, in his feelings and to our ears.
    He really says with everything he does, life is feeling, and you can do it, and if you can't, I'm here.
    He hauls entertainment to the people, to everyone's everyday life
    He makes those good records and chances are everyone here has heard a tune or two from one or two of 'em and probably most of you, twice
    Bob Rock's a quadruple-threat, player, writer, producer, painter
    In his manners, his deeds, in his art.
    His work ethic is surpassed only by his curiosity, his ear, only by his heart
    He is an old world master, since before the cost of sound
    He still stands before the doing-of-the-thing, then walks, then runs, then bounds,
    Headlong into that rush of sensation that comes when what's lost is found
    He makes you want to sing your punk-rock heart out and play your drums into the ground.
    Of course to be in Bob Rock's orbit is to never want to leave
    Bob's no picture, he's the event.
    He's free, not migratory-free
    He's not horse-famous famous
    He's no tightrope devotee
    He can't recite the rights of the newly inducted inductee
    Bob is just authentic, fully actualized man, who still fully can't believe he makes records for a living when he feels fourteen inside.
    He remembers what he loves and loves remembers and he has a generous memory.
    He has an encyclopedic knowledge of his entire and vast esteem.
    He can tell you exactly what he was wearing the day he bought Exile on Main Street.
    But mostly Bob's a family man, he loves his family
    And, ya know, it is just as Clint Eastwood said,
    Bob Rock is a family-man, and a family-man's about the best a man can hope to be.

And here's the performance of "Yer Not the Ocean". In case you're all wondering who the old guy is on guitar and piano, it's none other than the aforementioned Bob Rock. Enjoy!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=r8_hWZuUbbM

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    sennin wrote:
    Saw them last night in Seattle with Jamainiac......good times!

:)

right on! :D
  • Options
    locked wrote:
    to quote our Hip leader on this board:
    Setlist- Brandt Centre, Regina, 01/19/07:

Rink
    Blow
    Fully
    Pigeon
    Family Band
    ABAC
    In View
    Gift
    Gems
    W.C.
    Fireworks
    Meridian
    38 Years Old
    Kids
    Poets
    Wheat
    Ocean
    Fire in the Hole
    Drop Off
    Powderfinger (Neil Young cover)
    New Orleans

Nuf said..

powderfinger!!! wow! what a setlist! :)
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Anybody catch the Junos last night? I usually can't stand award shows, but I wanted to see the Hip and K-OS. The boys played a killer version of "Yer Not the Ocean", and Gord's induction speech/poem for Bob Rock was both unique and touching. Here's the poem:

Mercifully, as in love, so it is in music
    We're all fourteen inside.
    With this in mind, thank you for allowing me this moment to be ample and grateful to a great friend of mine,
    And to one of the greatest music lovers of all time.
    Bob Rock, the rock-and-roller, the fan-start, the sound-tiger, the self-imposed rock-and-roll exile, the warm and interesting, interested and alive man of world beyond guile.
    He occurs deeply to people, he has good people in his life, and people hold him dear.
    He trusts his eyes, his ears, his feelings, and it shows in his eyes, in his feelings and to our ears.
    He really says with everything he does, life is feeling, and you can do it, and if you can't, I'm here.
    He hauls entertainment to the people, to everyone's everyday life
    He makes those good records and chances are everyone here has heard a tune or two from one or two of 'em and probably most of you, twice
    Bob Rock's a quadruple-threat, player, writer, producer, painter
    In his manners, his deeds, in his art.
    His work ethic is surpassed only by his curiosity, his ear, only by his heart
    He is an old world master, since before the cost of sound
    He still stands before the doing-of-the-thing, then walks, then runs, then bounds,
    Headlong into that rush of sensation that comes when what's lost is found
    He makes you want to sing your punk-rock heart out and play your drums into the ground.
    Of course to be in Bob Rock's orbit is to never want to leave
    Bob's no picture, he's the event.
    He's free, not migratory-free
    He's not horse-famous famous
    He's no tightrope devotee
    He can't recite the rights of the newly inducted inductee
    Bob is just authentic, fully actualized man, who still fully can't believe he makes records for a living when he feels fourteen inside.
    He remembers what he loves and loves remembers and he has a generous memory.
    He has an encyclopedic knowledge of his entire and vast esteem.
    He can tell you exactly what he was wearing the day he bought Exile on Main Street.
    But mostly Bob's a family man, he loves his family
    And, ya know, it is just as Clint Eastwood said,
    Bob Rock is a family-man, and a family-man's about the best a man can hope to be.

And here's the performance of "Yer Not the Ocean". In case you're all wondering who the old guy is on guitar and piano, it's none other than the aforementioned Bob Rock. Enjoy!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=r8_hWZuUbbM

thanks again direwolf! :) i completely forgot about the junos!
  • Options
    Hey folks! I just came across a very cool podcast/interview with Rob Baker from backstage at the Fillmore in San Francisco. Enjoy!

http://www.towerpod.com/channels.html?id=82

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    hipfans.com strikes again!

jumpin jack flash from seattle, i cant get enough of this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Ygn4Qvpkc
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • Options
    Awesome vid! Thanks! The band looks like they're having a blast.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Here's a review of the Seattle show from the Post Intelligencer:

MUSIC REVIEW

THE TRAGICALLY HIP with the Sadies

WHEN: Thursday night

WHERE: Moore Theatre

Twenty years in and The Tragically Hip are playing like they're just getting started. For the first 10 years, the Kingston, Ontario, five-piece played it cool as blues rockers. Gradually, the band edged toward country-rock before eventually settling into a straight-up rock persona that culminated in the seminal records "Day for Night" and "Fully Completely," from '94 and '92, respectively.

For the next 10 years, the Hip steadily released albums driven as much by their guitar work as Gordon Downie's maverick lyrics. Though he likes to focus on the Canadian experience, the singer's stories run the gamut of possibility. In fact, his microscope seems to know no bounds, a feat matched only by his ability to subsume big, polysyllabic words into songs (pendulum, biosphere, vaccination), many of which have never seen a song before and probably never will again.

Yet, for Hip-heads, and particularly the lesser-known American variety, this was a frustrating time. Each of the five albums from this era suffered a professional malaise that belabored the Hip. It seemed that Canada's Greatest Rock Band was going through the motions. The root of the problem was drummer Johnny Fay who, for nearly 10 years, would do little more than keep the beat; his lack of excitement and general laziness haunted the band, keeping their songs locked in 4/4 time.

Thank God for Bob Rock, the studio impresario best known for his work with Motley Crue ("Dr. Feelgood") and Metallica ("Load," "Reload" and "St. Anger"), not to mention David Lee Roth and Bon Jovi. Rock not only reawakened the Hip but he pushed them to new levels. The resulting "World Container" is the greatest Hip album ever recorded. The proof was seen in their concert Thursday night at the Moore, a spellbinding, energetic and triumphant display of prowess, expertise and most certainly, an absolute love of rock 'n' roll.

Quintessential entertainer and dynamic frontman Downie was soaked with perspiration by about the fifth song. By the 18th (an explosive rendition of the bluesy "Blow at High Dough"), he looked as if he had just stepped out of the shower. His aerobic interpretive dances have always made a Hip show into a spectacle, one to be seen as well as heard, but Thursday night Downie was on fire. Not even his microphone stands could handle his vivacity; he went through two and almost maimed a third.

Rarely do the Hip play songs by other bands; in fact, according to my sources, "Sweet Jane" has been the only exception, but add to the list "Jumping Jack Flash," an apropos encore song, if not a summation of the new era for the Hip: "It's a gas! Gas! Gas!"

Shawn Telford is a Seattle-based freelance writer who can be reached at eyeheartmusic@yahoo.com.

I gotta say, I totally disagree with his ignorant and idiotic assessment of Johnny Fay's drumming. Anybody who has seen the Hip live knows that the dude is an absolute monster in concert. As for his work on the studio albums, the drumming perfectly suits the material. Johnny doesn't use a lot of odd-ball time signatures, but in no way does that mean he's a "lazy" or "boring" drummer. Probably 95% of all rock n' roll is played in 4/4 time. To quote the Rheostatics' Dave Bidini:

"Johnny plays with an unflagging confidence and even touch, with propulsion rather than flair. His arrangements are spare, yet poignant. Since many of the Hip's songs can veer off into exploratory jams, I suppose it makes sense that someone steer."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    thanks for posting gordo's speech inducting bob rock...gordo is f'n brilliant when it comes to WORDS...truely one of the best there is...and i don't say that lightly.

i was BLOWN AWAY by bob rock's piano solo in yur not the ocean...i've seen plenty of brilliance on stage live, before, but that solo was beyond anything i've seen in quite sometime...i knew bob rock was a brilliant producer but knew very little about his abilities as a player...is it NO WONDER why world container is the hip's best cd in 10yrs(since henhouse-imho)
  • Options
    *bump*

"The Kids Don't Get It", live from the Moore Theatre in Seattle. Enjoy!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Zr8XRBHt7iE

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    BUMPING THIS TO PAGE ONE WHERE IT BELONGS..

Having seen every Boston tour stop the Hip has made since 1994, and been privy to a few "bootleg" videos, I was equally appalled at any allegation that Johnny Fay is "lazy"..

Quite the opposite really..

very similar in style to Larry Mullen (U2), Johhnny is a working man's drummer.. not much flash but deep-bottom bedrock for which the Hip's sound builds upon.

He hits his drumkit very hard, wincing throughout each performance in (apparent?) pain despite an undending resource of energy..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford