Tragically Hip ...

Comments

• Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    direwolf74 wrote:
    I should also add that World Container is finally being released in the U.S. on Tuesday, March 6th. And just for fun, here's last night's setlist from Rexall Place in Edmonton. They sure like opening with "Lonely End of the Rink". I think they've kicked off every show on this tour with that tune. Not that I'm complaining.

Rink
    NOIS
    Grace
    Good Life
    Drop Off
    ABAC
    In View
    Poets
    Fiddler's
    World
    Lionized
    100th
    Bobcaygeon
    Family Band
    Springtime
    Scared
    Ocean
    Pistols
    Blow
    Summer Side of Life (Gordon Lightfoot cover)
    Little Bones

Is there a pre-sale for these tickets? I registered on their site last year, but when I received the emails I didn't see that there was a pre-sale. I gotta hit a small US show
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    Red Lukin wrote:
    Is there a pre-sale for these tickets? I registered on their site last year, but when I received the emails I didn't see that there was a pre-sale. I gotta hit a small US show

id like to know too!!!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    id like to know too!!!

I know there's one for the Seattle show, and I think it starts today. The Hip's site doesn't mention it, but I noticed it on Ticketmaster.com.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • I downloaded my first Hip tune off iTunes today:

Bobcaygeon

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    I downloaded my first Hip tune off iTunes today:

Bobcaygeon

PBM

try:

Hundreth Meriridian
    Little Bones
    Wheat Kings

That will give you proper persepctive...
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
    or go here and launch their music player. I'm not sure if it's everyday, but they put up a new live song pretty much daily as well as other songs from their albums http://www.thehip.com/
  • Red Lukin wrote:
    or go here and launch their music player. I'm not sure if it's everyday, but they put up a new live song pretty much daily as well as other songs from their albums http://www.thehip.com/

Thanks...everyone here seems to dig their sound, so I wanted to give them a try.

One of my co-workers is going to burn me some stuff too.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
    anyone know when they are gonna free up the vault music series for the US version of Itunes?

come on man???

also, the IBE tour produced some live complete bootlegs of a select shows ...

I'm expecting the same for this tour once the launch the friggin US tour...

LET ME OOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT!

my user name says it all!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford

Bobcaygeon

PBM

Welcome! Trust me, once you're hooked on the Hip, you're hooked for life. You're gonna end up buying all their records, downloading all the live bootlegs you can find, and following them around North America on tour. It happens to everyone.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Welcome! Trust me, once you're hooked on the Hip, you're hooked for life. You're gonna end up buying all their records, downloading all the live bootlegs you can find, and following them around North America on tour. It happens to everyone.

Speaking of their live stuff, or there anything official (or at least official sounding quality) besided Live B/w Us?
    and Piss...

There are much better songs out there then BC. From the new album check out The Kids Dont Get It and Fly. From older albums check out stuff like Three Pistols, Courage, Twist my Arm, Bring it all Back, Little Bones, Cordelia, On the Verge, Blow at High Dough, Summer's Killing Us, Better Place Today, Grace Too and Sherpa...just to name a few singles...
    and forgot At the Hundredth Meridian, Fully Completely, and Locked in the trunk of a car.

or just go out and buy Road Apples and Up to Here
    Red Lukin wrote:
    and forgot At the Hundredth Meridian, Fully Completely, and Locked in the trunk of a car.

or just go out and buy Road Apples and Up to Here

Those are definitely classic albums, but I gotta say their new record "World Container" is heads and shoulders above Road Apples or Up to Here. The evolution and maturity of the band's songwriting continues to blow me away. I think it's astonishing that a band who is 20 years and 11 albums into their career can still put out music this great. It's like they've hit a new stride and they're just getting warmed up. I love it!

-Tom Waits
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Those are definitely classic albums, but I gotta say their new record "World Container" is heads and shoulders above Road Apples or Up to Here. The evolution and maturity of the band's songwriting continues to blow me away. I think it's astonishing that a band who is 20 years and 11 albums into their career can still put out music this great. It's like they've hit a new stride and they're just getting warmed up. I love it!

I'm with you on the new album. I'm not a fan of the album Music at Work, and after that I thought they were going way down hill. But their last couple albums have been quite good, and the new album is on my cd player a lot since is came out ; )
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    direwolf74 wrote:

I agree, I have all the Hip albums and I NEVER listen to Road Apples and Up to Here...never. They weren't bad records, but just sounded like a straight up blues rock bar band. The Hip became artistically challenging and much more interesting after those records.

However, I hope they call it quits soon. I hate when bands hang on too long. Gord Downie should focus on his solo work, because its brilliant. The Hip have done enough and I can't see them doing anything groundbreaking anymore.
    Igottago wrote:
    However, I hope they call it quits soon. I hate when bands hang on too long. Gord Downie should focus on his solo work, because its brilliant. The Hip have done enough and I can't see them doing anything groundbreaking anymore.

They don't have to though. At this point in their career they have nothing left to prove, and they can pretty much do whatever the hell they want. I like the fact that after a couple of albums where they were pretty much spinning their wheels (In Violet Light, In Between Evolution) they chose to challenge themselves musically and take a complete left turn with World Container. In a recent interview Gord Downie mentioned that Bob Rock really pushed them to try different things with their songwriting and to not be afraid to show their influences, and I think the band enjoyed the challenge and they fed off that energy. The results speak for themselves. I think World Container is easily the best Hip record since Phantom Power and features some of the best material they've ever written. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the last two albums, but they were kind of treading water there for a while. On the new album they seem to have a renewed focus and energy, as well as on their current tour. I caught one of the Calgary shows on the mini club tour in October and it was absolutely mind-blowing. The boys are really playing their asses off these days, and I get the impression they're gonna be around for a while longer. I think they're the greatest rock band on the planet, and personally I hope they pull a Neil Young and keep putting out records and touring for years to come.

As for Gord's solo material, I couldn't agree more! His stuff is indeed brilliant, and I hope he puts out more solo records in the future. The way I see it, the guy is an incredibly prolific songwriter and he now has two different outlets to get his songs out. He's got the best of both worlds, so why should he stop doing either one? I'm also hoping he puts out another book of poetry sometime. I think he's one of the greatest singer/songwriter/lyricists of our time, and hopefully someday he'll finally get the worldwide recognition he so richly deserves.

-Tom Waits
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    Igottago wrote:
    I agree, I have all the Hip albums and I NEVER listen to Road Apples and Up to Here...never. They weren't bad records, but just sounded like a straight up blues rock bar band. The Hip became artistically challenging and much more interesting after those records.

Direwolf has already said a piece that I agree with on your second paragraph so I will take up your first. I don't listen to anything pre fully completely. I realized today that I don't even have Road apples on my Itunes despite having pretty much all my stuff on here. I just don't ever feel the desire to play it, kind of like Ten I just don't want to listen to that anymore knowing all the other stuff that has come since. I find that the Hip and Pearl Jam run pretty similar courses from about 94 on. Like with that album (Vitalogy/Day for night) they were still huge but started to experiement more, followed by a more experimental album, then yield/phantom power is more straight ahead but as the years go by the bands may sell less but way way more importantly to their fans (and as a testament to the bands as well) they continue to move forward and not worry about what anyone says. If it wasn't for that I don't know how enthusiastic I would be about either band.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    Direwolf has already said a piece that I agree with on your second paragraph so I will take up your first. I don't listen to anything pre fully completely. I realized today that I don't even have Road apples on my Itunes despite having pretty much all my stuff on here. I just don't ever feel the desire to play it, kind of like Ten I just don't want to listen to that anymore knowing all the other stuff that has come since. I find that the Hip and Pearl Jam run pretty similar courses from about 94 on. Like with that album (Vitalogy/Day for night) they were still huge but started to experiement more, followed by a more experimental album, then yield/phantom power is more straight ahead but as the years go by the bands may sell less but way way more importantly to their fans (and as a testament to the bands as well) they continue to move forward and not worry about what anyone says. If it wasn't for that I don't know how enthusiastic I would be about either band.

Well said. I totally agree with your comparison of the two bands. While the Hip and Pearl Jam are very different musically and lyrically, I think they share very similar philosophies when it comes to the evolution of their music and how they manage their careers. Both bands seem to come from a very indie/DIY ethic and have been pretty much left alone to do whatever they want without the interference of the label, and neither band seems to give a crap about what the critics think of them. That's pretty rare these days.

-Tom Waits
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    They don't have to though. At this point in their career they have nothing left to prove, and they can pretty much do whatever the hell they want. I like the fact that after a couple of albums where they were pretty much spinning their wheels (In Violet Light, In Between Evolution) they chose to challenge themselves musically and take a complete left turn with World Container. In a recent interview Gord Downie mentioned that Bob Rock really pushed them to try different things with their songwriting and to not be afraid to show their influences, and I think the band enjoyed the challenge and they fed off that energy. The results speak for themselves. I think World Container is easily the best Hip record since Phantom Power and features some of the best material they've ever written. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the last two albums, but they were kind of treading water there for a while. On the new album they seem to have a renewed focus and energy, as well as on their current tour. I caught one of the Calgary shows on the mini club tour in October and it was absolutely mind-blowing. The boys are really playing their asses off these days, and I get the impression they're gonna be around for a while longer. I think they're the greatest rock band on the planet, and personally I hope they pull a Neil Young and keep putting out records and touring for years to come.

As for Gord's solo material, I couldn't agree more! His stuff is indeed brilliant, and I hope he puts out more solo records in the future. The way I see it, the guy is an incredibly prolific songwriter and he now has two different outlets to get his songs out. He's got the best of both worlds, so why should he stop doing either one? I'm also hoping he puts out another book of poetry sometime. I think he's one of the greatest singer/songwriter/lyricists of our time, and hopefully someday he'll finally get the worldwide recognition he so richly deserves.

right on, right on. :)
  • civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001

Bobcaygeon

PBM

great choice!! i love that song :D

if you want, give their greatest hits "Yer Favorites" a try....

I know some of the 'die-hards' around here may be opposed to it... :p (lol! you know i love you guys!)... but i've already converted one boy from KY with it - it can work on another... :)
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
    Red Lukin wrote:
    and Piss...

There are much better songs out there then BC. From the new album check out The Kids Dont Get It and Fly. From older albums check out stuff like Three Pistols, Courage, Twist my Arm, Bring it all Back, Little Bones, Cordelia, On the Verge, Blow at High Dough, Summer's Killing Us, Better Place Today, Grace Too and Sherpa...just to name a few singles...

great picks BTW!
    we have the same taste in HIP stuff!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    locked wrote:
    great picks BTW!
    we have the same taste in HIP stuff!

Thanks, and I love your name. A wicked live song..

LET ME OOOOOOOOOOOUT!
    Red Lukin wrote:
    Thanks, and I love your name. A wicked live song..

LET ME OOOOOOOOOOOUT!

"sir, can you open your trunk?, I'm hearing a mewwing sound..."

:)
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    Setlist- Enmax Centre, Lethbridge, AB, 01/17/07:

Rink
    New O.
    Grace
    Dire Wolf
    Drop Off
    Bobcaygeon
    In View
    Twist
    Escape
    World
    Springtime
    Meridian
    Good Life
    Kids
    Nautical
    Wheat
    Ocean
    Fire
    Four Strong Winds
    Family Band
    Blow

That might be the best setlist I've seen on this tour so far! Can't believe they played Four Strong Winds!

-Tom Waits
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Setlist- Enmax Centre, Lethbridge, AB, 01/17/07:

Rink
    New O.
    Grace
    Dire Wolf
    Drop Off
    Bobcaygeon
    In View
    Twist
    Escape
    World
    Springtime
    Meridian
    Good Life
    Kids
    Nautical
    Wheat
    Ocean
    Fire
    Four Strong Winds
    Family Band
    Blow

That might be the best setlist I've seen on this tour so far! Can't believe they played Four Strong Winds!

That is a good set but where is the list from Red Deer that was a great show, open with Family band, rock the shit out of courage. fantastic
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • four strong winds!?!?! bad ass! :D
    four strong winds!?!?! bad ass! :D

???
    where is this song from?
    a cover I assume???
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    purchased my GA ticket to the 4/20/07 show at Avalon in Boston this morning..

I don't mind spending money that goes to the Hip..(whose ticket prices are very reasonable!)

but check out this "gouge" by Ticketmaster:

Base price of Ticket: $28

TM "convenience" fee: $6.30 ??
    Order Processing fee: $4.35 ??
    Delivery Fee (via email): $2.50 ??

WTF!

Total fee to Ticketmaster for simply charging my credit card
    and emailing me my ticket= $13.15
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    locked wrote:
    purchased my GA ticket to the 4/20/07 show at Avalon in Boston this morning..

I don't mind spending money that goes to the Hip..(whose ticket prices are very reasonable!)

but check out this "gouge" by Ticketmaster:

Base price of Ticket: $28

TM "convenience" fee: $6.30 ??
    Order Processing fee: $4.35 ??
    Delivery Fee (via email): $2.50 ??

WTF!

Total fee to Ticketmaster for simply charging my credit card
    and emailing me my ticket= $13.15

Ouch, TM sucks. I'm going to try and buy tickets for the Buffalo show tomorrow morning through tickets.com. I'm hoping their fees are more reasonable.

Still though, $28 to see the Hip (or even $40 with SC) is good. The base price for Buffalo if $45 US.
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    WOOOOOOOOOT, I am seeing the Hip in Detroit on April 12 at the State Theatre. This is the second time I'll be seeing them live, this one in a more intimate setting than seeing them at the ACC on the New Year's 1999. I wouldn't consider myself a "huge" fan, but I do enjoy some songs and have a few albums. I am looking forward to this though, because they are a great live band and it's the first real concert I have been to since PJ was around last summer
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2