Options

Tragically Hip ...

Comments

• Options
    hodgehodge Posts: 519
    good video

side question: who knows when new season of TPB starts up?
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    mariposa wrote:
    Bubbles: "Gord's gonna give us some chicken if we get him a new motor."
    Ricky: "How much chicken?"
    Gord: "ONE BUCKET"

Best video they've ever done!
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Song of the Day: "Escape is at Hand for the Travellin' Man", from Brussels, Belgium 11/05/02

http://www.thehip.com/
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    PeatricalPeatrical Posts: 59
    I love the hip, I saw them live back in November 2004. It was a great show, only they didn't play fireworks.. We did get Little Bones and New Orleans is Sinking though so all is well.
  • Options
    mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    hodge wrote:
    good video

side question: who knows when new season of TPB starts up?

From what I kept on hearing...

Sunday, April 17!

TPB the movie is supposed to be release this year as well.
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
  • Options
    Holy crap! Today's song of the day is a full recorded version of the long lost unreleased gem "Blonde Solid" from 1995. Parts of this song used to be played during extended onstage jams of New Orleans is Sinking and At the Hundredth Meridian, but I don't think I've ever heard a full version of the song until today. Wow. The band's webmaster recently told the Hipbase forum that the boys are planning to release a rarities/b-sides album sometime in the future. I can't wait to hear it! Hopefully they'll take a page out of Pearl Jam's book and make it a double-disc. Anyways...ladies and gentlemen, I give you BLONDE SOLID:

http://www.thehip.com

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Thanks again direwolf, for keeping us up to date with the "Song of the day" and whatever it is happening over at the The Titanic Terrarium. That is some great news indeed! It reminds me why I love this band so much! :D

It's great to finally hear Blonde Solid! I found the lyrics over at the Hip Museum...and some info too...

"Blonde Solid: Fully Completely outtake whose lyrics were inspired by a painting Gord saw. Played live on 4/18/92, and brought back during jams in 1996-99."

Me I'm dirty all the time
    In a quite becoming squalor
    She's blonde solid
    She's blonde solid

The kind I'd follow anywhere
    So I accidentally did so
    She's blonde solid
    She's blonde solid

I was the funniest guy in the room
    For half an hour or so
    At a party filled
    With the likes of which
    I'll never know

She stuck close to the TV set
    I was back here in the kitchen
    She's blonde solid
    She's blonde solid

For half an hour or so
    Pretty much until
    This guy kicks me out
    He says it time to go

And that's the way Mark painted her
    Brown, yellow, stolid
    She's blonde solid
    She's blonde solid

For half an hour or so
    At a party filled
    With the likes of which
    I'll never know
  • Options
    edigerediger Posts: 308
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Holy crap! Today's song of the day is a full recorded version of the long lost unreleased gem "Blonde Solid" from 1995. Parts of this song used to be played during extended onstage jams of New Orleans is Sinking and At the Hundredth Meridian, but I don't think I've ever heard a full version of the song until today. Wow. The band's webmaster recently told the Hipbase forum that the boys are planning to release a rarities/b-sides album sometime in the future. I can't wait to hear it! Hopefully they'll take a page out of Pearl Jam's book and make it a double-disc. Anyways...ladies and gentlemen, I give you BLONDE SOLID:

No fucking way.. This is awesome. I've had a really really bad studio recording of this for years, but this is so much better. You just made my day
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:

right on once again direwolf..and thanks for the lyrics mariposa! :)

a rarities / b-sides would be great! one of my faves is problem bears. i listen to it as much as some of the regular album tunes sometimes.
  • Options
    Ahh Problem Bears, great lyrics....I really should listen to that tune more often. :)

So it's been non-stop "In Between Evolution" as of late...for me. And I've been listening to nothing but the Hip for the past weeks now...."chronologically". This is nuts. :D
  • Options
    it does have some great lyrics...

i especially like...

Shakespeare, you're a drunken savage
    Well, you're a sober and green-eyed Voltaire
    It almost sounds funny like two tough-talking goalies, really going at it upstairs

and...

Or an idea that's gettin' more determined
    To get where it's gettin'

catchy tune :)
  • Options
    MtCanvasMtCanvas Posts: 27
    For a long time I thought I was one of the few that shared these two bands as my favourites...but was I pleasantly mistaken! My Hip experiences go back a long way, seeing them in the double figures....I was at the Cobo Hall gig that became Live Between Us, and at a few Molson Park appearances....one of my favourites being just after David Milgaard was released and:

Gord saying "how do you feel about the Death Penalty now" as Wheat Kings begins...

Another top moment was at the Toledo Zoo, where after someone fired a beer bottle at Gord, he responded by saying "I am going to play my least favourite song because of you, and stare only at you....!!!"

But my all-time favourite site for a Hip concert has been (and I'm Canadian) has been the Orbit Room in Grand Rapids Michigan. We made the 2 1/2 hr commute from Windsor (fully , and completely, drinking the entire way) and watched them perform in front of 200-250 people...most of them fellow Canadians!!

I haven't checked out the newest CD/DVD, but anticipate a new album!!!

My contention has always been that the only place in Canada that Pearl Jam would have a hard time headlining would be at a Hip concert......and I saw PJ in 1992!!!
    From 04/04/92,-13/09/05 (x5)

Brian
  • Options
    MtCanvas wrote:
    For a long time I thought I was one of the few that shared these two bands as my favourites...but was I pleasantly mistaken! My Hip experiences go back a long way, seeing them in the double figures....I was at the Cobo Hall gig that became Live Between Us, and at a few Molson Park appearances....one of my favourites being just after David Milgaard was released and:

Gord saying "how do you feel about the Death Penalty now" as Wheat Kings begins...

Another top moment was at the Toledo Zoo, where after someone fired a beer bottle at Gord, he responded by saying "I am going to play my least favourite song because of you, and stare only at you....!!!"

But my all-time favourite site for a Hip concert has been (and I'm Canadian) has been the Orbit Room in Grand Rapids Michigan. We made the 2 1/2 hr commute from Windsor (fully , and completely, drinking the entire way) and watched them perform in front of 200-250 people...most of them fellow Canadians!!

I haven't checked out the newest CD/DVD, but anticipate a new album!!!

My contention has always been that the only place in Canada that Pearl Jam would have a hard time headlining would be at a Hip concert......and I saw PJ in 1992!!!

Welcome to the Hip thread! If you're ever looking for some fellow Canucks on the message pit, chances are you'll find us in here. Like you, I'm a huge fan of both the Hip and Pearl Jam. You know it's gonna be a great year for new music when BOTH of these bands have new albums coming out. It's gonna be a magnificent summer. Rock n' f**kin' roll, baby!!!

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    i'm actually really craving to see the hip in concert again. i've seen them once (july 1/2004) and it was one of the best shows i've ever seen at the amphitheatre. in fact, it was the second best show that i caught that year (first place going to rush)
  • Options
    *bump*

Song of the day at thehip.com: "Yawning or Snarling" from Caberet Metro, Chicago '94!

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    hipfanhipfan Posts: 5
    locked wrote:
    I filmed all of the Somerville shows, maybe you've seen one of my bootleg DVD's out there? (Thanks to Chris K. from Hiptracker.com, he edited them)
    I finally took a break for the 2004 Avalon show.. turns out nobody filmed it or recorded it for audio (Arrrrg!) so I guess I'm the offical Boston filmer for the 2006 tour..
    Can't wait for the new site to get "fully" loaded and let's keep in touch as PJ and the Hip both release new albums . tour dates..!~!!
    As Gord would say "It's a good life if you don't weaken"...2006 will put our wallets to the test (with PJ / Hip shows, T-shirts and offical bootlegs.. eh?)
    PS: I'm also "Locked" on Hipbase.com..
    Peace my new friends,
    Scott in Boston
    Hey Scotty... just found this thread, and am working my way through the 20+ pages and noticed this post. http://tracker.hipfans.com is the actual site address... and I've still got a show or two of yours to edit and convert to DVD.

2006 is definitely putting my wallet to the test - I'm going to the 5 announced European shows, and the 2 shows in Toronto... DVDs will be plentiful this year!
    mariposa wrote:
    Meanwhile....back in 1985 @ the Copperpenny show (without Paul Langlois)...

anyone heard of Psychedelic Ramblings of Rich Kids and their sweet cover of Sweet Jane? :D:D:D

I also have a song called Susie Q from '88. Man this is some funky and rockin' out tune!

Check out my mirror site http://thumpmedia.com/dana for some great Hip rarities. Dana over at Hipbase started a "weekly" program posting rarities, and I've compiled all of them on my site.

uninnocent wrote:
    i'm actually really craving to see the hip in concert again. i've seen them once (july 1/2004) and it was one of the best shows i've ever seen at the amphitheatre. in fact, it was the second best show that i caught that year (first place going to rush)

That Canada Day show was incredible! I've seen The Hip 30+ times, and this show was by far the best total concert experience I've ever had.

direwolf74 has mentioned a couple of great hip sites (hipbase and hipmuseum) but for live Bit Torrent downloads of Hip shows, check out my site http://tracker.hipfans.com and then once you've downloaded a show, visit http://covers.hipfans.com to download the relevant artwork.
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,007
    cheers Chris!

But this is a PJ website ...

Your HIP treasures have no power on me here..

and unless you start posting that PJ in Mexico 2003 TV Broadcast DVD on Hiptracker..I'll have you banned from this forum..

people know me here ...and in case you haven't noticed...
    you're not in Canada (aka Kansas) anymore ....

AND You won't end up on any official Pearl Jam DVD like the way you paid of the HIP's filmers to feature you in "That night in Toronto"...

Nope, you have no power here..

Hey... and when the F*ck are they gonna post some Boston / Somerville dates for the new HIP tour??

Hey Chris, in all seriousness, they just opned the PJ archive and allowed us full access to a 1993 soundbaord (entire show) from Las Vegas
    its an audio download.. with more shows to come..!

Can you imagine if the HIP does the same???

All my Best,
    Scott
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    hipfanhipfan Posts: 5
    I realize I'm going international with this, but I thought that through the power of the internet, my "powers" were transferable from fan forum to fan forum... oh well... that PJ Mexico DVD is staying put in my collection, and won't be on the tracker. I think that only the PJ show from the last tours stop in Toronto was posted to it.

The announcement of a Boston show would be incredible, although with the spate of shows I'm already attending (without even thinking about the 2 PJ shows in T.O.) I doubt that I'd be able to make the trek down there.

And if The Hip open up their back catalogue for purchase downloads they way PJ is... let's just say it woudn't be a pretty sight when my Visa bill showed up!
  • Options
    hipfan wrote:

Check out my mirror site http://thumpmedia.com/dana for some great Hip rarities. Dana over at Hipbase started a "weekly" program posting rarities, and I've compiled all of them on my site.

It's another HIP day once again. :D

Thanks for all the links! I'm sure the rest of the guys here will appreciate it as well. The Gordon Lightfoot cover was pretty sweet.

And it sure was great to hear another tune from the CopperPenny gig!
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    I always loved the name Tragically hip>

Some years ago I try to listen to an album, but it didn't gab me at all.

Can anyone tell me what the best album is?
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    I always loved the name Tragically hip>

Some years ago I try to listen to an album, but it didn't gab me at all.

Can anyone tell me what the best album is?

It's a great name...and a pretty interesting one! :D

"What does the name "The Tragically Hip" mean?
    From: Tales from the Hip, Winter 94-95 No.1: "The name, The Tragically Hip, was taken from a Michael Nesmith video called "Elephant Parts." The video contained a clip asking for contributions to The Foundation for The Tragically Hip: poor, afflicted people in need of jacuzzis, Lamborghinis and cocaine. Here is what Paul said about the name once: "There seems to be some confusion about our name...about the kind of band we are. People either like the name, think it's clever and funny or think it's a really pretentious, new-wave thing. We were billed in Germany a couple of times as an American Hip Hop band." -- The Tragically Hip "

Oh by the way which album was that?

My personal favourites are Trouble at the Henhouse, Fully Completely. Phantom Power's one of their best too by the way. There are so many great tracks off of that record, I suggest you start with that if you wanna get into the band again.
  • Options
    I have absolutly no idea what record it was. It was quit some years ago
    I'm not sure but I think the cover was red.
  • Options
    I have absolutly no idea what record it was. It was quit some years ago
    I'm not sure but I think the cover was red.

Either....:D

Road Apples (1991)

http://umusicimages.ca/thetragicallyhip/cd_roadapples.jpg

Trouble At the Henhouse (1996)

http://umusicimages.ca/thetragicallyhip/cd_troubleatthehenhouse.jpg
  • Options
    I am truely sorry to say that It was Trouble At the Henhouse (1996).

Hope your other suggestions are more to my liking.

Good Karma to you.
  • Options
    I am truely sorry to say that It was Trouble At the Henhouse (1996).

Hope your other suggestions are more to my liking.

Good Karma to you.

Trouble At the Henhouse is a pretty interesting record...and it is sort of tough to listen to, especially if you're just starting out with the HIP...I understand that. I love it though. :D I hope you'll like Phantom Power or Fully Completely and then maybe you can listen to all their other records as well. They are an awesome band.

And good Karma to you too. :)
  • Options
    I will put it on my list. Fully Completely sounds good.

promise me you'll do yourself a favour,........... Check out Motorpsycho.

Trust us -is thier most compleet album
    Timothy's monster -is like a nice spring album
    Angels and deamons at play -is a dark and freaky album
    Blissard -is just great
  • Options
    I will put it on my list. Fully Completely sounds good.

promise me you'll do yourself a favour,........... Check out Motorpsycho.

Trust us -is thier most compleet album
    Timothy's monster -is like a nice spring album
    Angels and deamons at play -is a dark and freaky album
    Blissard -is just great

I was just reading the thread about them, I'm now checking out the audio files (Strange Days, Watersound) in their website. Thanks for the recommendation!

Enjoy the HIP.
  • Options
    brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    i have only heard that 'ahead of a century' song waaaay back in the late 90's.

i think i'll give it a shot now.

which album contains that song? i may start from there.
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • Options
    Watersound is good aspecially the ending The words are really drowned in the music witch is nice since it's called watersound.

It's from the album Tymothy's monster.
  • Options
    brhf9 wrote:
    i have only heard that 'ahead of a century' song waaaay back in the late 90's.

i think i'll give it a shot now.

which album contains that song? i may start from there.

Tymothy's monster

But be sure to check Trust us

And seeing how you enterd Matellica and Sapultura

I can deffenly recommand Angels and deamons at play.
    Not that it's matel but it is pretty dark

http://motorpsycho.fix.no