Options

Tragically Hip ...

Comments

• Options
    i would agree, music @ work was definitely under-rated and under-appreciated. freak turbulence has been the one i've been on the most latey, but lake fever, stay, the bastard, and sharks caught my attention right away. sharks is right up there with my favourite hip tunes.
  • Options
    hodgehodge Posts: 519
    i like STAY

i haven't given that cd a fair chance yet, maybe i will today
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    So I was just listening to Phantom Power for the first time in a while, and it suddenly hit me. "Escape is at Hand for the Travellin' Man" is quite possibly the greatest rock song ever written.

That is all.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    that song holds special meaning for a few friends of mine and i...the lines aren't quite right...but we went to see them at the hammerstein ballroom in NYC. for two of us, we had been there two months before to visit NYC for a few days...go to conan o'brien, see a yankees game, les mis, empire state building, etc....the other four guys were making their first visit for the hip show.

so the lines "it's our third time in new york, it's your fourth time in new york"...we would always change to "it's our second time in new york, it's your first time in new york"...didn't have quite the right rhyme scheme...but we shouted it when they played it...good times... :)

i'm not a musician so i don't know what you'd call it, but i've always liked the "backbeat" style on that track...with the emphasis on the opposite beat...if you know what i mean...and the trailing guitar notes...gorgeous tune!

i was listening to emperor penguin a while ago..."we have another caller with a bachelor degree, talking alien invasion is the only chance for unity - well, sorry to interrupt you caller, but that's a physical impossibility..."
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,931

i'm not a musician so i don't know what you'd call it, but i've always liked the "backbeat" style on that track...with the emphasis on the opposite beat...if you know what i mean...and the trailing guitar notes...gorgeous tune!

I haven't heard that song, I only have Road Apples, but I think what you mean is called syncopation, it's a stress on a normally unstressed beat...

I'll definitely check out their other albums.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    hodgehodge Posts: 519
    i was listening to emperor penguin a while ago..."we have another caller with a bachelor degree, talking alien invasion is the only chance for unity - well, sorry to interrupt you caller, but that's a physical impossibility..."

great tune, i just turned it on from reading this thread
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Options
    Collin wrote:
    I haven't heard that song, I only have Road Apples, but I think what you mean is called syncopation, it's a stress on a normally unstressed beat...

I'll definitely check out their other albums.

thanks collin! :) definitely check out "no escape..." all of phantom power is well worth checking out!...as are the rest in the hip discography...you've got a good one in road apples though...
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    So I was just listening to Phantom Power for the first time in a while, and it suddenly hit me. "Escape is at Hand for the Travellin' Man" is quite possibly the greatest rock song ever written.

That is all.

i was so glad this showed up in the grey cup montage on the dvd for the box set

i have always loved this song. one of their recent bests. right up there with it's a good life if
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,007
    thanks collin! :) definitely check out "no escape..." all of phantom power is well worth checking out!...as are the rest in the hip discography...you've got a good one in road apples though...

I'm sorry to post a dissenting opinion but I think "Escape" and "Flamenco" are two of the biggest "set killers" the Hip have in their catlogue..

I've seen both many times live and its the musical equivalant of "lounge music"...

keep songs like that on Gord's solo efforts...

Give me more "Paulie-funked up" songs like "Grace too" and "Lake fever"...

and when is Robby gonna have the balls to do an extended guitar solo instead of looking back at Johnny all the time as if to say "please god end this song now!"...
    He's got sooo much potential to blowthe roof off (aka leads on Poets, Locked, and Bones) but holds back on every tune..

Don't get me wrong..this is my second favorite abnd in the whole world and I've been going to every Hip show in Boston since 1994..

Just some constructive bitch points..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    just when the bostonians and haligonians were getting along, eh? locked :D...just kidding...we all haves our faves...for me courage is the one that kills it for me. most hip fans would beat me to a pulp around here for saying so, and they always play it...just a song that doesn't do anything for me...so that's my hip bitch for today...:)
  • Options
    While we're on the subject of Hip songs we don't like, here are my personal non-favorites:

Butts Wigglin
    Coconut Cream
    Lionized
    We'll Go Too
    Let's Stay Engaged
    The Rules
    Are You Ready
    Wild Mountain Honey
    Evelyn
    I'm a Werewolf, Baby

...and that's pretty much it. I absolutely love everything else they've done. And it's not that I hate these particular songs, because I don't. They're just not my favorites. A bad/mediocre Hip song is still better than 90% of the shit you hear on radio, MTV, or Muchmusic.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Live Between Us [LIVE] was my favorite
  • Options
    mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    Escape would definitely be on my Top 10 Hip tunes. I'm also a huge fan of Emperor Penguin...I don't think a lot of Hip fans like it, just like Flamenco.

I found it really difficult to pick a Hip song that I dislike...well because they're the HIP. :) But then "Phantom Power" comes to mind and I realized I would always skip "The Rules" - the whole record is fantastic..except for that one...and it stuck out like a sore thumb.

I'm gonna have to agree with Mookie once again with Courage though...I tried to love that song but the more I listen to it, the more I hated it - and I still don't like it. And Fully Completely was a great record, however Courage was not a good song to start it with...maybe "At the Hundredth Meredian" instead. And yes they tend to play it a lot.

Coconut Cream and Butts Wigglin are great tracks to me!
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
  • Options
    mariposa wrote:
    Escape would definitely be on my Top 10 Hip tunes. I'm also a huge fan of Emperor Penguin...I don't think a lot of Hip fans like it, just like Flamenco.

I found it really difficult to pick a Hip song that I dislike...well because they're the HIP. :) But then "Phantom Power" comes to mind and I realized I would always skip "The Rules" - the whole record is fantastic..except for that one...and it stuck out like a sore thumb.

I'm gonna have to agree with Mookie once again with Courage though...I tried to love that song but the more I listen to it, the more I hated it - and I still don't like it. And Fully Completely was a great record, however Courage was not a good song to start it with...maybe "At the Hundredth Meredian" instead. And yes they tend to play it a lot.

While I don't much care for the music on Butts Wigglin, I do like the lyrics quite a bit:

"The sweet sound of patent approval, comin' down in a not quite fog."

That's good stuff. As for Coconut Cream, I just never got into it. To me it seems like more of a throw-away song that would be better suited to a b-sides album. But like I said, even a mediocre Hip tune is pretty damn good!

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    edigerediger Posts: 308
    my favourite album is Day For Night, no question. As far as I'm concerned, Nautical Disaster is the best song written by a Canadian band ever (Neil Young isn't a band, he's a person). It's not my favourite (top five though), but I definately think its their best, if that makes any sense.

I would probably rank the albums

Day For Night
    Road Apples
    Up To Here
    Fully Completely
    Trouble At The Henhouse
    Music@Work
    Phantom Power
    The Tragically Hip
    In Between Evolution
    In Violet Light

Whenever I talk about the best concerts I've seen, I don't include the Pearl Jam and Tragically Hip shows I've seen because they are on a totally different level. Gord Downie is both a brilliant lyricist and an amazing preformer, he never quits on stage. They're unreal. The biggest concert I've ever been to was a free show by The Hip at The Forks in Winnipeg for War Child. The estimates pit the attendace at somewhere between 90,000 and 100,000 people, in other terms, nearly 20% of the city.
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
  • Options
    ediger wrote:
    my favourite album is Day For Night, no question. As far as I'm concerned, Nautical Disaster is the best song written by a Canadian band ever (Neil Young isn't a band, he's a person). It's not my favourite (top five though), but I definately think its their best, if that makes any sense.

Day for Night is an absolute masterpiece, and "Nautical Disaster" is the cornerstone of the entire record. Personally I think it's one of the best rock albums of the last 20 years, period. It's a shame that the majority of music fans around the world have never even heard of it. If there was any justice in the world, the Hip would be mentioned alongside Pearl Jam, Radiohead, and U2 as one of the great rock bands of the modern era. That notion may sound ridiculous to some, but not to me. I came of age listening to the Hip, and I'm still growing along with them as they continue their unparalleled career. Other than U2, I can't think of another band who has been around for 20 years with the original members still intact. I was a fan of many different bands as a teenager, but there was something about this no-frills, no bullshit rock band from Kingston, Ontario that captured my attention more than U2, Guns N' Roses, Pearl Jam, and Nirvana combined. As cheesy as it sounds, the Hip's music spoke to me in a way that no other artist had, and they still do to this day. Their songs and Gord Downie's lyrics taught me things about my own culture that I probably would've never discovered on my own. It's a beautiful thing, and I feel incredibly priviledged to be a fan of such a unique and intelligent band. CBC news anchor Peter Mansbridge once called them "the musical chroniclers of our time". That pretty much sums up exactly how I feel about The Tragically Hip.

By the way, for anybody who is interested in the history of the modern Canadian rock scene as we know it, there's a really cool book you should check out. Hell, you don't even have to be Canadian. If you're a fan of rock n' roll in general, I guarantee you'll love this book.

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/1550224751/qid%3D1141201979/702-3781909-1080038

"The Canadiana references became guide posts into a song's depths, the resulting marriage of language and music became an invigorating experience that had never been so directly aimed at young Canadians."

-Have Not Been The Same: The CanRock Renaissance, 2001

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Day for Night is an absolute masterpiece, and "Nautical Disaster" is the cornerstone of the entire record. Personally I think it's one of the best rock albums of the last 20 years, period. It's a shame that the majority of music fans around the world have never even heard of it. If there was any justice in the world, the Hip would be mentioned alongside Pearl Jam, Radiohead, and U2 as one of the great rock bands of the modern era. That notion may sound ridiculous to some, but not to me. I came of age listening to the Hip, and I'm still growing along with them as they continue their unparalleled career. Other than U2, I can't think of another band who has been around for 20 years with the original members still intact. I was a fan of many different bands as a teenager, but there was something about this no-frills, no bullshit rock band from Kingston, Ontario that captured my attention more than U2, Guns N' Roses, Pearl Jam, and Nirvana combined. As cheesy as it sounds, the Hip's music spoke to me in a way that no other artist had, and they still do to this day. Their songs and Gord Downie's lyrics taught me things about my own culture that I probably would've never discovered on my own. It's a beautiful thing, and I feel incredibly priviledged to be a fan of such a unique and intelligent band. CBC news anchor Peter Mansbridge once called them "the musical chroniclers of our time". That pretty much sums up exactly how I feel about The Tragically Hip.

By the way, for anybody who is interested in the history of the modern Canadian rock scene as we know it, there's a really cool book you should check out. Hell, you don't even have to be Canadian. If you're a fan of rock n' roll in general, I guarantee you'll love this book.

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/1550224751/qid%3D1141201979/702-3781909-1080038

"The Canadiana references became guide posts into a song's depths, the resulting marriage of language and music became an invigorating experience that had never been so directly aimed at young Canadians."

-Have Not Been The Same: The CanRock Renaissance, 2001

great post direwolf!
  • Options
    mariposa wrote:

thanks so much for being the first person ever to not scold me for not liking courage! :)

i think we agree on almost all the songs! :D especially emperor penguin and flamenco...two of the best. i find i always skip "the rules" as well...not the worst song, but i just tend to skip by it...
  • Options
    "The Rules" is an awesome song. It may not be a song that translates well in a live environment but it sounds great on record. It's so delicate and the lyrics are just fantastic.

About "Courage", I've found that more people on internet message boards DISLIKE the song than like it. Myself, I think it's a great live tune. I think some people just get tired of it because it has been played hundreds of times, the same way people get tired of "NOIS" and "Little Bones". If "Courage" was a more recent song and hadn't been played much live, I think people would LOVE IT. Of course, the majority of fans love it already but I'm talking about people I've seen on messageboards who seem to know the Hip are about more than "Little Bones", "BAHD", "NOIS", and "Courage".
  • Options
    Song of the day at thehip.com: An absolutely killer version of "Cordelia" from the Fillmore in San Francisco, 1996.

http://www.thehip.com

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Song of the day at thehip.com: An absolutely killer version of "Cordelia" from the Fillmore in San Francisco, 1996.

bad ass! thanks direwolf, you are the man! :D
  • Options
    ...some kinda beer feuled olympic frenzy problem?...this is called damaged goods, it's yeah..."shakespearean"...brilliant! :)
  • Options
    These guys are really pulling stuff out of the archives for the "song of the day" feature. Their webmaster posts often over at the Hipbase, and he mentioned that the band has recorded EVERY show they've played since '96. Just imagine the box set they could put together with all that material! Anyway, today's song is "Put it Off" live from Saskatchewan Place, 11/18/96.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    thanks so much for being the first person ever to not scold me for not liking courage! :)

i think we agree on almost all the songs! :D especially emperor penguin and flamenco...two of the best. i find i always skip "the rules" as well...not the worst song, but i just tend to skip by it...

:D

For the longest time I thought there was something wrong with me...since I don't like Courage at all! :rolleyes: I guess, not anymore! Glad to know I'm not alone in this. :)

And yes...I noticed we agree on a lot of the Hip tunes, including the Gord Downie solos also.

:D
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    These guys are really pulling stuff out of the archives for the "song of the day" feature. Their webmaster posts often over at the Hipbase, and he mentioned that the band has recorded EVERY show they've played since '96. Just imagine the box set they could put together with all that material! Anyway, today's song is "Put it Off" live from Saskatchewan Place, 11/18/96.

Excellent! :D

I am really hoping for a future box set...that would be so sweet! I hope they will. The tunes for the "Song of the Day" had been all killer versions.
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    the only album i have is Up to Here and that's been the case for 10 or 11 years. a friend of mine in college tuned me in on that record, and i've never personally met any Tragically Hip fans since so i've never heard any other albums! i'm usually not motivated to listen to an album unless someone recommends it personally. and of course radio doesnt play them around here, so i cant just stumble upon it.

but now that i've stumbled upon this thread, i have some ideas of what albums i may check out soon.

the Tragically Hip will always remind me of college. a cigarette long season...
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    hey man go get the albums, start with fully completely or road apples, then work to phantom power and violet light
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Options
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    the only album i have is Up to Here and that's been the case for 10 or 11 years. a friend of mine in college tuned me in on that record, and i've never personally met any Tragically Hip fans since so i've never heard any other albums! i'm usually not motivated to listen to an album unless someone recommends it personally. and of course radio doesnt play them around here, so i cant just stumble upon it.

but now that i've stumbled upon this thread, i have some ideas of what albums i may check out soon.

the Tragically Hip will always remind me of college. a cigarette long season...

If you're looking for a good representation of the Hip's music, a good place to start would be their recently released double-disc greatest hits album, "Yer Favourites". But if you've got some cash burning a hole in your wallet, I definitely recommend spending a few extra dollars and picking up the entire box set. Here's all the info:

"HIPEPONYMOUS" 2 DVD & 2 CD Box Set:

The two CDs in the set, entitled
    "Yer Favourites" features 37 digitally remastered classic Tragically Hip songs chosen by 150,000 fans. Of "Yer Favourites" 37 tracks, 35 were chosen from The Hip's 10 studio albums including The Tragically Hip (1987), Up To Here (1989), Road Apples (1991), Fully Completely (1992), Day For Night (1994), Trouble At The Henhouse (1996), Phantom Power (1998), Music @ Work (2000), In Violet Light (2002) and last years In Between Evolution (2004). "Yer Favourites" also includes two brand new tracks.

The DVD entitled "That Night in Toronto, a Film by Pierre & Franois Lamoureux" catches THE TRAGICALLY HIP live in concert at Toronto's Air Canada Centre in November 2004 and was filmed in High Definition and mixed in PCM Stereo and 5.1 Surround Sound. HIPEPONYMOUS also includes an exclusive bonus DVD that features all 23 of THE TRAGICALLY HIP'S music videos, a 50-minute film directed by Christopher Mills entitled "Macroscopic", and 11 visual vignettes set to new original scores from The Tragically Hip. The limited edition package also includes a 48-page bound book."

As for their albums, I'd definitely pick up Day for Night and Phantom Power. If you like those, then I guarantee you'll become addicted and end up buying everything else just to complete the collection.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Best Hip album is?

Music@Work is my current favorite, I think ...

Road Apples
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • Options
    Do you guys have any idea if any of their videos are available in any websites or anywhere else for that matter (plus Gord Downie solo vids)? I know they have everything in HIPEPONYMOUS...but I haven't picked it up yet, since it's too costly right now.

The Hip Base do have a list and screenshots (http://hipbase.com/index.php?page=sights-videos), but that's about it. I haven't seen any of the HIP videos for quite sometime now...oh these kind of "Hip fix" are kind of annoying sometimes :rolleyes:.

I'll probably will have to settle with the Toronto live dvd instead. :D

Edit: I found the "Darkest One!"

Bubbles: "Gord's gonna give us some chicken if we get him a new motor."
    Ricky: "How much chicken?"
    Gord: "ONE BUCKET"

:D:D:D

Oh I love Don Cherry's cameo too...everytime I see that part now...he reminds me of Colonel Sander's because of the chicken!

I never get tired of this vid, cracks me up each time.

http://s57.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1NX4IYDYGT97W1TNRFHME6TIGE