Options

framed poster thread

Comments

• Options
    clk019 wrote:
    Got my rapids and paris 96 (yes that paris 96) framed. ... The Rapids one a friend at work did and boy did he do a job.

Rapids
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/70681352@N00/168137683/

Paris
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/70681352@N00/168137682/

Hey folks. Long-time lurker, first-time poster. (I believe this is where the radio DJ honks a horn or some kind of dog barks, right?!?)

If there's an appropriate thread buried somewhere in the Pit where first-timers should go to properly introduce themselves and someone can point me in the right direction, I'd be glad to go there and take my turn to stand up and introduce myself to the rest of the class.

Just wanted to say in here, though, that I'm the guilty party that did the mat work and framing on clk019's Grand Rapids poster. And thanks to a couple of you for the compliments.

Real quickly, speaking to the one comment that it would've been better to have the poster on the left rather than the right -- there's a funny story behind that, actually. I sketch everything out on paper in advance. Then I get out the old T-square ruler and start drawing my lines in on the back of the mats. On this occasion, when I was looking at my sketch of where the openings would be, I replicated that on the back of the matboard -- forgetting that the openings would be REVERSED when I flipped the mat over! Total brain cramp on my part. When I was done, I had two options -- either keep it the way you see it in the picture, or turn it upside down and have the poster be on the left, but have the ticket at the top. I chose to go with the poster on the right after asking my wife if it bothered her, aesthetically speaking.

At any rate, I'm interested in what a lot of the rest of you pay for your matting and framing done by professionals. I'm a big autograph and memorabilia collector, as well as a budding PJ gig poster collector. And it was costing me a fortune in the past to get things professionally matted and framed. That's why I started doing it on my own with a 42-inch Logan mat cutter.

So if anyone is interested in services similar to what I did for clk019, shoot me a PM and we can have a conversation. I'm not out looking to make big wads of money -- I honestly enjoy doing projects like clk019's poster because every time I do one, I get better at it. And I know I can do work that is, perhaps, 80 percent of the quality of a professional, but at a fraction of the price. So if you're interested, feel free to let me know. I can e-mail you pictures of other bigger projects I've done with some of my autographed memorabilia, as well as other posters.

And again, if there's a spot I can go to properly introduce myself so as not to be labeled some kind of "noob" trying to come in here and make a buck, let me know. I'm here for the long haul and I'll be posting in other areas in due time.
    "Tried to walk, found a severed ... Matt???"
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    Welcome!

And if there's "newbie introduction" page, nobody ever told me about it. :)

Nice work on the matting and if I had any work to do I'd shoot something your way. My walls are filled and there's stuff in the closet waiting for a space. My framing guy suggested boarding over the windows to free up space, but I'm not sure about that idea...

While I'm here, I just realized that I pulled my Randall's Island poster out of photobucket a while ago.

Here it is for anyone who wants to see it:
    http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/nukeboot/Pearl%20Jam/?action=view&current=PJ9.jpg
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    Sharon_Hearts_PJSharon_Hearts_PJ Bristol, PA Posts: 1,383
    [quote="nukeboot
    While I'm here, I just realized that I pulled my Randall's Island poster out of photobucket a while ago.

[url"]http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/nukeboot/Pearl Jam/?action=view&current=PJ9.jpg[/url][/quote]
    LOL. You just wanted to show that baby off again!
    Not that I blame you ;)
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    And how do you keep the poster from touching the glass?
    There are things called spacers that you put in between the poster and the glass. No idea how much they are, but any frame shop should have them.
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    13PJ13 wrote:
    LOL. You just wanted to show that baby off again!
    Not that I blame you ;)

Well, sorta.

But mostly I didn't know people were still posting on this thread. Didn't want to leave a dead link.
  • Options
    LizardkingLizardking Posts: 936
    nukeboot wrote:
    Welcome!

And if there's "newbie introduction" page, nobody ever told me about it. :)

Nice work on the matting and if I had any work to do I'd shoot something your way. My walls are filled and there's stuff in the closet waiting for a space. My framing guy suggested boarding over the windows to free up space, but I'm not sure about that idea...

http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/nukeboot/Pearl%20Jam/?action=view&current=PJ9.jpg

One of the best Matting jobs ever!!!!
    Lizardking

http://www.myspace.com/lizardkings1

(This Post May Have Been Edited By AT&T)
  • Options
    MasterFramerMasterFramer Posts: 2,268
    Just a quick tip...

Try this the next time you guys are doing your next design. Extend the matting in either direction to go with the orientation of the piece... so if it is a vertical piece make the top and bottom a half of an inch bigger than the sides. Sounds weird but give it a try. I think things look better this way than even all the way around...

also I always tell my customers that unless the white bevel adds to the design I reverse the cut it so you dont see it...
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options
    also I always tell my customers that unless the white bevel adds to the design I reverse the cut it so you dont see it...
    Or use a solid colored board, right? Most of the time I don't like the white either.
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    nukeboot wrote:
    Well, sorta.

But mostly I didn't know people were still posting on this thread. Didn't want to leave a dead link.
    You need to get this one too: http://cgi.ebay.com/PEARL-JAM-CONCERT-POSTER-AMES-SUTTON-RARE-MINT-1996_W0QQitemZ300000770785QQihZ020QQcategoryZ104989QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    :)
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    13PJ13 wrote:
    You need to get this one too: [url][/url]

Thanks. I've never seen that one. Not sure I like the green, but it's cool that there's a "sister" poster.
  • Options
    13PJ13 wrote:
    Or use a solid colored board, right? Most of the time I don't like the white either.

yes, though alot of mats dont have the same color core... another cool design is reversing the bottom mat and doing a standard bevel for the top...
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options
    whistle wrote:

My A/C, this one was hard to get a mat that matched... anyone else have this problem??
    http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g303/whistle55/AC-pink.jpg

There is a mat made by Cresent, it is called "Really Red" it might work for that one, if you want I can track down the item number...
  • Options
    nukeboot wrote:

Since I'm new to these parts, can I swear in these threads?!?

If so, I can only say "HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!" about that insane matting and framing job on your Randall's Island poster. That has given me some intense inspiration for future projects!
  • Options
    LizardkingLizardking Posts: 936

If so, I can only say "HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!" about that insane matting and framing job on your Randall's Island poster. That has given me some intense inspiration for future projects!

Fuck ya, go ahead
    Lizardking

http://www.myspace.com/lizardkings1

(This Post May Have Been Edited By AT&T)
  • Options
    Lizardking wrote:
    Fuck ya, go ahead

Gosh darn ... that's a fucking relief.
  • Options
    pjfan91pjfan91 Posts: 43
  • Options
    95 percent of the time, the posters you buy at the shows, off of eBay, through dealers, etc., come ROLLED.

This can be a pain in the ass when it comes to doing your own matting and framing projects, which I do.

Does anyone have any advice for flattening your posters out prior to framing? Just lay it out on a table, put a pillow case on top, and then lay a bunch of heavy books on it or something?

I'm just looking for ways to make the actual mounting of the poster a little easier than when it's rolled and constantly wants to roll back into place.
  • Options
    Just lay it out on a table, put a pillow case on top, and then lay a bunch of heavy books on it or something?
    That's pretty much what I do. A few days should do it. :)
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options

Hehe. Thanks.

I wanted to do something really special for it. Anybody who was at the 9/28/96 show knows how amazing it was. Plus, the poster somehow survived the monsoon that night!
  • Options
    pjfan91 wrote:

re mat that thing and get rid of the white space... reverse that top bevel and it will look 100 times better... trust me.

Also if you reverse those mats you will get a better effect, right now the red mat is competing with the red Pearl Jam and else where for attention, make the top mat black and it will pop more...

Matting is the last think you want to notice, not the first...
  • Options
    95 percent of the time, the posters you buy at the shows, off of eBay, through dealers, etc., come ROLLED.

This can be a pain in the ass when it comes to doing your own matting and framing projects, which I do.

Does anyone have any advice for flattening your posters out prior to framing? Just lay it out on a table, put a pillow case on top, and then lay a bunch of heavy books on it or something?

I'm just looking for ways to make the actual mounting of the poster a little easier than when it's rolled and constantly wants to roll back into place.

take it to a frame shop and have them put it in their heat press on low heat for an hour or so... it will get as flat as it will ever get. I do it all the time at my shop. Just make sure you tell them low heat... they should know though...
  • Options
    take it to a frame shop and have them put it in their heat press on low heat for an hour or so... it will get as flat as it will ever get. I do it all the time at my shop. Just make sure you tell them low heat... they should know though...

Cool. Thanks, man. What do you think they'll charge me for that. Got a rough approximation for me?
  • Options
    Cool. Thanks, man. What do you think they'll charge me for that. Got a rough approximation for me?

they shouldnt charge you at all... dont let them, make it sound like you will come back and frame it there...
  • Options
    they shouldnt charge you at all... dont let them, make it sound like you will come back and frame it there...

Ahh... got it. Even though I'm not having them custom mat stuff for me, I do buy all my supplies there, so they know my face pretty well by now.

Thanks for the advice!
  • Options
    mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    How much do you all generally pay for a custom framing? I went the other day to a local store and even after a 50% discount she wanted $102.00. I walked out.

Is this crazy expensive, or am I just out of my element?
  • Options
    mulva9 wrote:
    How much do you all generally pay for a custom framing? I went the other day to a local store and even after a 50% discount she wanted $102.00. I walked out.

http://www.americanframe.com
    Easy, put it together yourself (again, VERY EASY), inexpensive, quality materials. Biggest difference from what you'd get at a frame shop is that it's acrylic instead of glass (b/c glass is very expensive to ship). But I honestly prefer that b/c then I'm not worried about glass breaking everytime I move or relocate the frame.
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    mulva9 wrote:

No that's cheap... It's CUSTOM!!! things have to be built and cut for your project. And if they are using acid free materials you are getting a DEAL!!! I dont understand why everyone thinks this service should be cheap. You want cheap go to target and put it in a poster frame. It will look like shit and the cardboard backing will eat up your poster over the years but at least it's CHEAP right? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    mulva9 wrote:

I've had a few things custom framed from places like Hobby Lobby and Michael's before. And they do a really, really nice job. No question about it. I've always had coupons, though. I've never paid full price because of the coupon factor.

(Short aside here ... Michael's, a few times a year, offers a really good framing special. If you get one piece done, it's 50 percent of. Two pieces are 60 percent off your whole order. And three or more pieces are 70 percent off the entire order. The biggest piece I had done when I got in on that deal was about 40 inches wide by 40 inches tall. Double matted. Archival glass. Black wooden frame. Wire hanger on the back, of course. And there were four openings. That one, with the 70 percent off, cost me about $140. Well worth it at that price, to be sure. But the real price would've been about $500, and that's just insane.)

That's why I started doing everything on my own. Yes, there might be tiny little "blemishes" in my pieces. Yes, I buy standard frames at the stores and I don't have the fancy-schmancy frames. But I'm getting it done for a big savings as compared to taking stuff in and having it done from a custom framer. In the long run, my quality is obviously a little step down from the pros, but my savings far outweighs that.

Here's some non-PJ projects I've done of late, to go along with the big piece I did for clk019, which is shown earlier in this thread:

Seinfeld Four, plus Soup Nazi

Entourage Stars

Matt Hughes vs. Royce Gracie, UFC 61
  • Options
    unlededunleded Posts: 30
    Just wanted to share my newly framed posters with you guys. If not for the info/inspiration I got from this thread, my posters would still be sitting in the closet because I was too cheap to have Michael's frame them. Gotta love americanframe.com.

Also, if anybody's got an extra Gorge poster laying around, let me know -- generally I'd only want the shows I've been to, but the Gorge 05 is nice.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h254/unleded/PJ%20Posters/IMG_81001.jpg
    http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h254/unleded/PJ%20Posters/IMG_80991.jpg
    http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h254/unleded/PJ%20Posters/IMG_80981.jpg
    04/25/95 - met EV @ Hovercraft show; 09/24/96 - MD; 09/18/98 - MD (caught MC drumstick); 09/04/00 - MD; 07/01/03 - VA; 10/01/04 - Reading; 10/11/04 - DC; 05/30/06 - DC; 06/11/08 - WPB; 08/24/09 - Chicago; 11/15/13 - Dallas; 11/16/13 - OKC