Options

framed poster thread

Comments

• Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Qball wrote:
    Beer that poster is by Derek Hess he is awesome! I to own this poster and it is one of the first posters. It shows up on ebay every 4 months and not many were made and the ones that were really werent kept in great condition! Sometimes you can catch a jewel though! Mine is mint and s/n out of 200(?)! Also check out his site derekhess.com his NIN posters are amazing!
    Mine is #238/350. This was my second PJ show and I didn't know enough to buy a poster back then ... don't even remember seeing them at the show ... so I was pretty excited to pick this up on ebay a while back. It's got a couple of small dings on the edges that are covered by the mat, and the rest of the poster is in great condition.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    TeddyledbetterTeddyledbetter Seattle, WA Posts: 474
    Just got a phone call from my framer-
    Pink AC 05, Alpine 03, and Fargo 03 are completed and ready to be picked up!
    Can't wait for tonight!

TL
  • Options
    oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    oktacoma wrote:
    Do you really need to flatten it so it stays flat on its own before you frame it? Won't it just stay flat once you put it in the frame?

Can anyone shed some light on this? Should the posters be flattened before framing or will they be fine once you put them in the frame? Thanks.
  • Options
    bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    Chicagone wrote:
    Thanks! - I still don't understand why people are going to Michaels and such and happy to get them framed at 50% off and still pay like $150 each. Mine were mostly $65-75 total including the frame, 2-3 mattes, uv plexiglass and acid free backing. I think that's the way to go for the cheaper posters. Now I might want to check into my Istanbul and Rome for a professional job. Still not sure yet.

i was on american frame for the first time... still a newbie

tell me... why do you need multiple matte's??
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
  • Options
    bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    BeerBaron wrote:
    You don't need multiple mattes. People often use 2 (or 3) simply to make the framing job look better. It is all personal preference.

thanks

reading another post i think i get it... someone used a black matte and a pink matte... so they're both over the poster but only 1/4 inch of the pink will show and then the black will be on the top?

and i can't get to photo bucket from work but i'll check the pics here at home

cheers
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
  • Options
    bostonlou wrote:
    thanks

reading another post i think i get it... someone used a black matte and a pink matte... so they're both over the poster but only 1/4 inch of the pink will show and then the black will be on the top?

and i can't get to photo bucket from work but i'll check the pics here at home

cheers

It doesn't have to be 1/4 inch of the bottom mat showing. I was playing around with it and you can show more of the bottom mat if you'd like.
  • Options
    Im Rick James bitch!
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,085
    BeerBaron wrote:
    link doesn't work :(

Link worked for me. cool poster
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    My pride and joy .... I've had this one for a long time, finally got it framed tonight :D

http://photobucket.com/albums/v230/hippiemom/posters/?action=view&current=PICT0204.jpg
    I love this poster , its on my want list. you dont happen to have an extra do you ??
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Just framed my London poster tonight.....hope to have a pic soon.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    If anyone here is bidding on Ebay for the '96 Randall's Island with the worn edges, please stop. I think that 10 years is long enough to wait for this poster and I'd like to have it now. Please resume.
    support The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
    http://giving.chop.edu/site/PageServer?pagename=give_GiveTheGift
  • Options
    alex_scalex_sc Posts: 116
    just got my supplies from americanframe for ottawa, philly, and gorge. everything came out nice...will post pics once I find my camera (doh!)

alex
    Philly 05 ~ Camden I 06 ~ DC 06 ~ Columbia 08 ~ Va. Beach 08 ~ Camden I 08 ~ Atlanta 12 ~ Charlotte 13 ~ Columbia 16
  • Options
    http://photobucket.com/albums/e112/RonBurgundy10/

Let me know what you think of that! I know the pictures are a bit dark....I'll take new ones when the posters are gonna be on the wall!
  • Options

Let me know what you think of that! I know the pictures are a bit dark....I'll take new ones when the posters are gonna be on the wall!

Looks classy, Ron. I like the white. It's unique and looks good.
  • Options
    horrible picture, but it looks fantastic in person...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/NOTHINGFAN/AUT_0192.jpg
    Oh help me, help me from myself!!!

Theres not going to be an accoustic version of Blood or anything like that, so feel free to sit down.
  • Options
    QballQball Posts: 283

I like the montreal I dislike the NY! It has so many colors you could have picked for a mat better than white! I just think white mats are so plain! Just an opinion though! Overall nice job!
  • Options
    NOTHINGFAN wrote:

Looks good. Is that a blue matte?
  • Options
    sunlesssunless Posts: 83
    Just took my Borg. in to get framed. Just simple black. Don't want to take anything away from the best poster ever. I have big plans for Winnipeg and Gorge, and Fargo if I can ever get my hands on one.
    Ask, I'm an ear
  • Options
    AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    NOTHINGFAN wrote:

Is the mat black or dark blue?
  • Options
    Abuskedti wrote:
    Is the mat black or dark blue?

It's blue. I'll try to take a better picture of it tonight or over the weekend.

I took the pic with my camcorder with no flash and the lighting was bad.
    Oh help me, help me from myself!!!

Theres not going to be an accoustic version of Blood or anything like that, so feel free to sit down.
  • Options
    Here are my babies. Great speedy service from americanframe (although there's a minor issue with the philly mat). Special thanks to my girlfriend for her assistance with things like matching colors and stuff.

http://homepage.mac.com/sc_alex/PhotoAlbum1.html

Special bonus shot of Jeff's arm on my computer's desktop in the gorge pic!
    Philly 05 ~ Camden I 06 ~ DC 06 ~ Columbia 08 ~ Va. Beach 08 ~ Camden I 08 ~ Atlanta 12 ~ Charlotte 13 ~ Columbia 16
  • Options
    alex_sc wrote:
    Here are my babies. Great speedy service from americanframe (although there's a minor issue with the philly mat). Special thanks to my girlfriend for her assistance with things like matching colors and stuff.

how long did it take you to get your stuff..........ordered last fri and still nothing, not even an email
    ************EVENFLOW PSYCHO#41************

http://www.powdermag.com/features/news/jackson-hole-tram/index.html

Make sure you pay a visit to the Tram before it goes......
  • Options
    how long did it take you to get your stuff..........ordered last fri and still nothing, not even an email
    Took exactly a week -- placed the order the night of the 17th and everything showed up last night (24th).

I didn't get any confirmation, either, so I e-mailed them yesterday morning and just got a response saying:

"Normally we do send email confirmation along with the tracking numbers, but
    our computer system is down. Your order shipped on 1-20-06."

So overall it was pretty quick to get to South Carolina. Hope you get your stuff before the weekend!

alex
  • Options
    bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,082
    alex_sc wrote:

someone dropped some cash-o-la! NICE.
  • Options
    alex_sc wrote:
    Took exactly a week -- placed the order the night of the 17th and everything showed up last night (24th).

I didn't get any confirmation, either, so I e-mailed them yesterday morning and just got a response saying:

"Normally we do send email confirmation along with the tracking numbers, but
    our computer system is down. Your order shipped on 1-20-06."

So overall it was pretty quick to get to South Carolina. Hope you get your stuff before the weekend!

alex

sweet...........i sure hope so...........
    ************EVENFLOW PSYCHO#41************

http://www.powdermag.com/features/news/jackson-hole-tram/index.html

Make sure you pay a visit to the Tram before it goes......
  • Options
    My American Frame order came today, so I'll go home and put my Showbox '04 together, and then post my gorge and showbox on here for y'all tomorrow!
    "The whole world will be different soon"
  • Options
    I just picked up my framed alpine valley 2003 poster and I had my ticket included. I 'll have to post it for all to see. I love it
  • Options
    Sharon_Hearts_PJSharon_Hearts_PJ Bristol, PA Posts: 1,383
    alex_sc wrote:

I have to be honest with you (even though you didn't ask for opinions like others on this thread have), I personally feel like those types of frames (with the exception of Philly) are rather gaudy and take away from the art being framed. But if you dig 'em, more power to you.

And can I assume the "issue" with the Philly mat is that it totally doesn't match? If so, you can let them know and they should be willing to send out a correct match.
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    13PJ13 wrote:
    I have to be honest with you (even though you didn't ask for opinions like others on this thread have), I personally feel like those types of frames (with the exception of Philly) are rather gaudy and take away from the art being framed. But if you dig 'em, more power to you.

And can I assume the "issue" with the Philly mat is that it totally doesn't match? If so, you can let them know and they should be willing to send out a correct match.

I think the Gorge looks pretty good
  • Options
    13PJ13 wrote:

Don't mind the comments at all. It was such a fun project that your post just gives me a chance to spout off about how I picked the stuff out!

The frame choice, at least in the case of Ottawa, was deliberately over the top and I like it that way...it captures the feel of the poster for me. This also moved it from my least favorite poster of the three to my favorite completed piece. This was a chance to take poster art I really liked and add something to it. Doesn't mean the art wouldn't stand on its own or needs my help -- just makes it fit into my world a little better. :)

The Philly mat issue is with the dimensions. It's about 1/16th off and I think the actual screen printing might be slightly skewed. Either way, it didn't quite line up. Doesn't sound like much, I know, but it's annoying. The color doesn't match exactly because I wanted to get away from the standard "pick a color in the poster, match your mat to it" style. It's more of a complementary color. Also may have been washed out a bit when I took the pic.

Gorge is very portrait-y, so I gave it a portrait-y frame. 'nuff said.

But yeah, it's all in the eye of the beholder, right? All I know is, I sit here in my office now and have stuff on the walls I love to look at. And the whole thing caught me by surprise...I was at the Philly concert, got a poster, and thought "now what?" Then I saw the cool things you guys have done with presenting the art work and realized the artwork was great and could add something to my office space.

alex