Options

framed poster thread

Comments

• Options
    GoBuckyGoBucky Posts: 198
    bobasfeet wrote:
    Thanks GoBucky looks awesome..Did you get my PM about the Crowes stuff??

Yep, the only Crowes shows I got to this year were the Summerfest show w/ Petty and the Halloween night show in Chicago...amazing show! I did get the show on IL if you need it. I think I have a copy of their AC/DC opening set, too. The poster was very, very cool!
  • Options
    bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,081
    GoBucky wrote:
    Yep, the only Crowes shows I got to this year were the Summerfest show w/ Petty and the Halloween night show in Chicago...amazing show! I did get the show on IL if you need it. I think I have a copy of their AC/DC opening set, too. The poster was very, very cool!

Did you get that poster??..It was awesome and I missed out on it. The artist put it on his site for sale around Christmas. It was gone in a day..I have the Norfolk, Atlanta, Hampton and Lupos posters. I'll PM you about the show!
  • Options
    Ok..I went to the Michael's sale tonight...slightly confused...with the 70% off my first poster came to $110.00..Didn't I read somewhere on here someone went to Michaels for the sale and got 3 posters done for around $100??? I mean I think I have paid that normally when a sale wasn't going on.
  • Options
    tdmuwtdmuw Posts: 29
    bobasfeet wrote:
    Ok..I went to the Michael's sale tonight...slightly confused...with the 70% off my first poster came to $110.00..Didn't I read somewhere on here someone went to Michaels for the sale and got 3 posters done for around $100??? I mean I think I have paid that normally when a sale wasn't going on.

There's no way that's right. That would put your before sale price at $370. A professional frame shop with three mats and a really nice frame would barely be that high. Unless you're getting a bunch of nice stuff on it I'd say you're getting screwed.
  • Options
    tdmuw wrote:
    There's no way that's right. That would put your before sale price at $370. A professional frame shop with three mats and a really nice frame would barely be that high. Unless you're getting a bunch of nice stuff on it I'd say you're getting screwed.

Uhh..I walked out with my posters..that was for
    1) 2 acid free mats
    2) Frame
    3) Spacers
    4) UV glass
    5) I guess some sort of assembly fee
  • Options
    tdmuwtdmuw Posts: 29
    bobasfeet wrote:
    Uhh..I walked out with my posters..that was for
    1) 2 acid free mats
    2) Frame
    3) Spacers
    4) UV glass
    5) I guess some sort of assembly fee

I'd expect something like that to cost around $250 for a poster around the Mexico '05 size (assuming a frame around $10-$15 per foot) before any discount. I've never been to a frame shop that didn't offer some sort of discount though (AAA, art museum membership, etc.). Also, I'm not sure if you'd really need spacers since the mats will already be holding the poster off the glass.
  • Options
    Barely AliveBarely Alive Posts: 1,271
    I was quoted $329.00 at Deck the Walls for double matte, UV glass, conservation mount, and simple metal frame on my Ottawa '03. Then it was knocked down to ONLY $230.80 with a 30% off sale hahaha. The next day at a local frame shop I was quoted $180.00 for all the same stuff as the night before with no sale adjustments. Framers in the Philly 'burbs are out of their minds when it comes to framing costs apparently as compared to what some of you pay to have yours done elsewhere in the country. Just for shits and giggles I am going to try Michael's tomorrow. That should be laughable. The first shop also told me not to go to Michael's because they don't use acid free mattes. Um, ok, I'm sure that's 100% correct.

About American frame- I noticed that their "better/best" matte selections that are said to be 100% acid free have limited color offerings, so I clicked on the "good" mattes for more of a color selection, but noticed that it only says "acid free core" for those....so there must be a difference there obviously. Why would I want an acid free core, when it's not the core that's touching the poster in the first place. If the outer area of the matte has any acid, then who cares about the core?
  • Options
    Michael's
    Regular glass for 22x32 = 77.00
    Local Ben Franklin (nice framing store) = 14.95

Nuff said, buyer beware!!!
  • Options
    bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    About American frame- I noticed that their "better/best" matte selections that are said to be 100% acid free have limited color offerings, so I clicked on the "good" mattes for more of a color selection, but noticed that it only says "acid free core" for those....so there must be a difference there obviously. Why would I want an acid free core, when it's not the core that's touching the poster in the first place. If the outer area of the matte has any acid, then who cares about the core?

was on american frame for the first time today

so they have UV glass and no glare glass

does the UV have a glare?
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
  • Options
    bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    tdmuw wrote:
    I'd expect something like that to cost around $250 for a poster around the Mexico '05 size (assuming a frame around $10-$15 per foot) before any discount. I've never been to a frame shop that didn't offer some sort of discount though (AAA, art museum membership, etc.). Also, I'm not sure if you'd really need spacers since the mats will already be holding the poster off the glass.

frame shops seem to be like mattress places... there's always a sale
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    bobasfeet wrote:
    Has anyone got their Philly or Gorge yet????

Got Philly today.. figure Gorge early next week... Can't wait to get the Philly one framed.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    got philly today........framing thunder vay using americanframe......ill get it done sometime next wk, then pics!!!!!!!!!:D
    ************EVENFLOW PSYCHO#41************

http://www.powdermag.com/features/news/jackson-hole-tram/index.html

Make sure you pay a visit to the Tram before it goes......
  • Options
    question about americanframe............im doing the 3/32" 98% UV Reducing Acrylic and the Archival, 100% Acid Free, 1/8", do i also want a linen liner??????

• Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Oooooooh .... my box from American Frame just arrived! Pics of framed Gorge '05 and Cleveland '94 coming up!
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    Sharon_Hearts_PJSharon_Hearts_PJ Bristol, PA Posts: 1,383
    question about americanframe............im doing the 3/32" 98% UV Reducing Acrylic and the Archival, 100% Acid Free, 1/8", do i also want a linen liner??????
    If it's still free like it was when I was on the site a few weeks ago, go for it! No idea where it goes or what it does. But free is free :)
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    Philly...check!
  • Options
    dont read this my dumb ass did it himself

ok i need to frame my 4 posters or get rid of them... i want to go to american frame and get a frame and a matte and uv glass...
    i think i could fuck this up.. could someone that has done this write up what they did so i dont royally get my ass in trouble here.......
    or am i better off getting just their pre made poster frame, mounting board and glass and saying screw the cool matte

i have philly gorge calgary and halifax to go and want to do it myself
    my last two were 250 total not each by a home town guy
    plus i gave them to my brother for christmas champaign and chitown east troy
    yep i am an idiot but we have a no sale clause........
  • Options
    melrnmelrn Posts: 20
    dont read this my dumb ass did it himself

ok i need to frame my 4 posters or get rid of them... i want to go to american frame and get a frame and a matte and uv glass...
    i think i could fuck this up.. could someone that has done this write up what they did so i dont royally get my ass in trouble here.......
    or am i better off getting just their pre made poster frame, mounting board and glass and saying screw the cool matte

i have philly gorge calgary and halifax to go and want to do it myself
    my last two were 250 total not each by a home town guy
    plus i gave them to my brother for christmas champaign and chitown east troy
    yep i am an idiot but we have a no sale clause........

You can purchase matting at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. They will cut it for you or you can buy a matte cutter. If you go with cutting it yourself, practice first on something else. If there's a dirty and/or ripped piece of matte at the store, bring it up to the counter and ask for a discount. Practice on that. You can save a shitload of money by doing it yourself.
    Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.
  • Options
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:

so sweet...........

• Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    hippiemom wrote:
    nice job HM, im gonna go with a very similar look.....just gotta frame my London poster first
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:

love it...i think mine will look similiar...i will probably get my guy to do a red matte underneathe the blue to match the flames...
    He is alive but feels absolutely nothing.
    So is he?
    When he was six he believed that the moon overhead followed him.
    By nine he had deciphered the illusion trading magic for fact.
    No tradebacks...
    So this is what it's like to be an adult
    If he only knew now what he knew then...
  • Options
    how long does it take to flatten posters...........had mine on some cardboard and LOTS of heavy books on it for 3days.........a little better, but not much

• Options
    AstroFanAstroFan Posts: 193
    how long does it take to flatten posters...........had mine on some cardboard and LOTS of heavy books on it for 3days.........a little better, but not much

Is it one you just received recently?
  • Options
    It depends ... what kind of paper, how long it was in the tube before it was shipped, how long you left it in the tube, how heavy your books are. I don't usually even check on mine for at least a week. Sometimes that's enough, sometimes not.

Klausen and Ames use different paper, and the Klausens have been taking me a bit longer to flatten. Be patient, it will get there eventually.
  • Options
    My Oh My! is that Borgata sweet..The pics on the net do it no justice. When you see it in person, you realize it's one of the best ever!
  • Options
    BrushdailyBrushdaily Marin County Posts: 194
    I hate to be so negative but I have yet to see a framed Gorge that I like.
  • Options
    Brushdaily wrote:
    I hate to be so negative but I have yet to see a framed Gorge that I like.

Check these out. My pride and joy of my collection. http://photobucket.com/albums/e308/dropyourleash/
  • Options
    GoBuckyGoBucky Posts: 198
    hippiemom wrote:

Very cool! I love the fact that you only put one matte on it...it really brings the blue of the fiddler out of the print!
  • Options
    GoBucky wrote:
    Very cool! I love the fact that you only put one matte on it...it really brings the blue of the fiddler out of the print!
    Thanks! I fooled around FOREVER on the American Frame site, trying different mats. I had inteneded to do at least two, but in the end I liked the simple approach best.