Options

framed poster thread

Comments

• Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,659
    Anyone have any luck getting framing done at Costco? I noticed last time I was there that they have custom framing as part of their photo lab department (at least the Canadian ones do). I would like to get my Ottawa poster framed, but it is kind of big so if I could save a few bucks but still get it done nice that would be nice. The other three framed posters I have I got done at Michaels.

If you take anything to a costco framing department in canada, state in no uncertain terms that you do not want the poster drymounted. They drymount everything by default if you don't specify otherwise....

learned that one the hard way.... :oops:
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    shep wrote:
    Anyone have any luck getting framing done at Costco? I noticed last time I was there that they have custom framing as part of their photo lab department (at least the Canadian ones do). I would like to get my Ottawa poster framed, but it is kind of big so if I could save a few bucks but still get it done nice that would be nice. The other three framed posters I have I got done at Michaels.

If you take anything to a costco framing department in canada, state in no uncertain terms that you do not want the poster drymounted. They drymount everything by default if you don't specify otherwise....

That kind of sucks. But other than the dry mounting how was the quaility and the materials used? And how was the price?
  • Options
    shep wrote:

That kind of sucks. But other than the dry mounting how was the quaility and the materials used? And how was the price?

I know they don't offer the high-end glare-free glass that michael's does... as for the other materials, I was so pissed off about the drymounting I never noticed...

The price is comparable to michael's 60% off + 25% off the remainder.... i would tell you to wait for the sale a michael's, it usually works out pretty well....

I do remember michael's having way bigger selection of mat colours and frames...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    shep wrote:
    The price is comparable to michael's 60% off + 25% off the remainder.... i would tell you to wait for the sale a michael's, it usually works out pretty well....
    Michael's has the 60% off coupon this week. What's the "+ 25% off the remainder" you're referring to? Can you stack coupons or something? Thanks Shep.
    Mesa I - 11/93 * Toledo - 9/96 * Chicago - 6/98 * St Louis - 7/98 * Indy - 8/98 * St Louis & San Diego - 10/00 * Mt View II - 10/01 * Irvine I & II, San Diego - 6/03 * Chicago I - 5/06 * San Diego & SF III - 7/06 * Lolla - 8/07 * EV Chicago - 8/08 * Chicago I & II - 8/09 * Kansas City & Indy - 5/10 * PJ20 X2 - 9/11 * Atlanta 9/12 * Wrigley Field 7/13 * Moline & Milwaukee 10/14 * Wrigley Field I & II 8/16 * Wrigley Field I & II 8/18 * Ohana Encore I & II 10/21 * EV & The Earthlings Chicago II 2/22
    Won the lottery PJ20 Night 1 - Front Row in front of Jeff - Forever grateful to Ten Club
    ***I wanna live my life with the volume full***
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,675
    shep wrote:

what, exactly, is drymount? :?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    shep wrote:

Dry Picture Mounting
    With this technique the image is permanently attached to the mount board. It is often used in cases where the image will be float mounted or left un-framed on a thick aesthetically pleasing mount board. The dry-mounting process cannot be reversed so it is not a conservative technique. Over time bubbles can form in the artwork depending on environmental conditions, and the skill level of the person. It is generally not recommended for Polaroid and Inkjet prints since both are sensitive to temperature.

Dry mounting works by placing a special adhesive tissue between the photograph and the mount board. It is then placed in a special press that will apply pressure either mechanically or with a vacuum to press the artwork against the mount board while applying a high temperature to activate the adhesive in the tissue.

Dry mounting itself does not hurt the image significantly. The primary reason it decreases the value of original artwork is that it prevents re-framing which is more of an issue for very long periods of time. The decrease in value will be much less significant for items that are not one of kind originals. It is not possible to prevent acid components from leaking into a picture frame over time and contaminating the mat and mount board. For this reason museums reframe original artwork now and then in order to completely remove those acidic compounds. If the artwork is dry mounted, then you can not replace the mount board. Long term conservation is compromised In that case, a museum will go through extra effort to keep the mount board from getting contaminated such as providing an additional backing that can be replaced and by keeping the edges of the original backing away from the edge of the photo frame.
    Mesa I - 11/93 * Toledo - 9/96 * Chicago - 6/98 * St Louis - 7/98 * Indy - 8/98 * St Louis & San Diego - 10/00 * Mt View II - 10/01 * Irvine I & II, San Diego - 6/03 * Chicago I - 5/06 * San Diego & SF III - 7/06 * Lolla - 8/07 * EV Chicago - 8/08 * Chicago I & II - 8/09 * Kansas City & Indy - 5/10 * PJ20 X2 - 9/11 * Atlanta 9/12 * Wrigley Field 7/13 * Moline & Milwaukee 10/14 * Wrigley Field I & II 8/16 * Wrigley Field I & II 8/18 * Ohana Encore I & II 10/21 * EV & The Earthlings Chicago II 2/22
    Won the lottery PJ20 Night 1 - Front Row in front of Jeff - Forever grateful to Ten Club
  • Options
    PNuttyJam wrote:
    shep wrote:
    Michael's has the 60% off coupon this week. What's the "+ 25% off the remainder" you're referring to? Can you stack coupons or something? Thanks Shep.

Yup, they let you stack coupons. They had that deal on about 2 weeks ago when I took in an EMEK handbill to get framed and my Toronto 09 to get redone. It was 60% off framing plus an additional 15-25% off the remainder... I'll have to go home and check my bill to tell you for sure....

If you go to michael's for framing often enough, they will log your mailing address and usually once or twice a year they'll send you a coupon for 70% off framing... usually valid for about 2 weeks.... if you can hold off your framing needs for long enough that is the best way to go.... (lord knows I can't - I'm back from Toronto and I'm already jonesing to get my Toronto night 1 and my Wilco poster framed)...

Warning though: if you're new to michael's, make sure you scope out the store you're going to first... some have framers that are terrible, some have the best framers you've ever seen... so talk to the person in the framing room (not just the girl behind the counter) and make sure he/she knows what they're at.
  • Options
    PNuttyJam wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    Dry Picture Mounting
    With this technique the image is permanently attached to the mount board. It is often used in cases where the image will be float mounted or left un-framed on a thick aesthetically pleasing mount board. The dry-mounting process cannot be reversed so it is not a conservative technique. Over time bubbles can form in the artwork depending on environmental conditions, and the skill level of the person. It is generally not recommended for Polaroid and Inkjet prints since both are sensitive to temperature.

Dry mounting works by placing a special adhesive tissue between the photograph and the mount board. It is then placed in a special press that will apply pressure either mechanically or with a vacuum to press the artwork against the mount board while applying a high temperature to activate the adhesive in the tissue.

Dry mounting itself does not hurt the image significantly. The primary reason it decreases the value of original artwork is that it prevents re-framing which is more of an issue for very long periods of time. The decrease in value will be much less significant for items that are not one of kind originals. It is not possible to prevent acid components from leaking into a picture frame over time and contaminating the mat and mount board. For this reason museums reframe original artwork now and then in order to completely remove those acidic compounds. If the artwork is dry mounted, then you can not replace the mount board. Long term conservation is compromised In that case, a museum will go through extra effort to keep the mount board from getting contaminated such as providing an additional backing that can be replaced and by keeping the edges of the original backing away from the edge of the photo frame.

thanks! so, when I scotch tape my posters to the mat, it's a half assed dry mount? :shock:

I'm sure people will shudder that I do this but I don't plan on ever "un-framing" my posters....it works for me :mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    shep wrote:
    PNuttyJam wrote:
    shep wrote:

Yup, they let you stack coupons. They had that deal on about 2 weeks ago when I took in an EMEK handbill to get framed and my Toronto 09 to get redone. It was 60% off framing plus an additional 15-25% off the remainder... I'll have to go home and check my bill to tell you for sure....

If you go to michael's for framing often enough, they will log your mailing address and usually once or twice a year they'll send you a coupon for 70% off framing... usually valid for about 2 weeks.... if you can hold off your framing needs for long enough that is the best way to go.... (lord knows I can't - I'm back from Toronto and I'm already jonesing to get my Toronto night 1 and my Wilco poster framed)...

Warning though: if you're new to michael's, make sure you scope out the store you're going to first... some have framers that are terrible, some have the best framers you've ever seen... so talk to the person in the framing room (not just the girl behind the counter) and make sure he/she knows what they're at.
    They may have stopped doing this or perhaps you've gotten cashiers that don't know the fine print. My current email has a 15% your entire purchase coupon with this asterisk:
    *Excludes clearance, buy & get items, online purchases, as seen on TV products, MiDesign@Michaels™ products, buy the bunch customer special orders, special order custom floral arrangements, special order custom frames and materials, engraved plates, books and magazines, DVDs, Yudu machine, Brother, and all Cricut products.

Then the 60% off framing coupon has this:
    **Excludes engraved plates. Must purchase a custom frame.
    May not be combined with any coupon, sale or discount in effect.

Grrrrrr.
  • Options
    PNuttyJam wrote:
    They may have stopped doing this or perhaps you've gotten cashiers that don't know the fine print. My current email has a 15% your entire purchase coupon with this asterisk:
    *Excludes clearance, buy & get items, online purchases, as seen on TV products, MiDesign@Michaels™ products, buy the bunch customer special orders, special order custom floral arrangements, special order custom frames and materials, engraved plates, books and magazines, DVDs, Yudu machine, Brother, and all Cricut products.

Then the 60% off framing coupon has this:
    **Excludes engraved plates. Must purchase a custom frame.
    May not be combined with any coupon, sale or discount in effect.

Grrrrrr.

they let me do it 2 weeks ago.... :D ....

but make sure they have you in the mailing list... like I said the real deal is that once or twice a year 70% off coupon!
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    PNuttyJam wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    Dry Picture Mounting

thanks! so, when I scotch tape my posters to the mat, it's a half assed dry mount? :shock:

I'm sure people will shudder that I do this but I don't plan on ever "un-framing" my posters....it works for me :mrgreen:
    Using tape is fine, as long as you're using acid free tape. Just Google it and you'll fine the right deal.
  • Options
    shep wrote:
    shep wrote:

I know they don't offer the high-end glare-free glass that michael's does... as for the other materials, I was so pissed off about the drymounting I never noticed...

I do remember michael's having way bigger selection of mat colours and frames...

Yea when I was picking up some photos at costco and noticed the framing it looked like the matte and frame selection wasn't as good. Now if there was a considerable savings it might be worth it to not have as many colour choices, but if it is the same price I would rather have the extra options.

As for the glass I don't think I have ever sprung for the high end Michael's glass. 2 of my posters just have the UV glass, and for my 05 Ottawa when I got it framed I was trying to decide on the mid-range and the high end glass, and then the framer told me that they were changing their top end glass to a new material, but they still had some of the old stuff in stock, so I ended up getting the UV/Anti-glare stuff for the price of UV only.
  • Options
    PNuttyJam wrote:
    Using tape is fine, as long as you're using acid free tape.
    oh, I'm sure I'm NOT :oops: :lol::lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    shep wrote:
    PNuttyJam wrote:
    shep wrote:

lets see some pics when you get them back..and how much did they charge you fo the handbill ???
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    GorgeWildlife-PJposter015-1.jpg
    GorgeWildlife-PJposter019-1.jpg
    Finally framed Alpine Night 1 (both posters but the other shot I took is really fuzzy! :lol: ) and Night 2 last night. I know I did it myself and it's only cheap but I'm pretty happy with it. :)
    GorgeWildlife-PJposter016-1.jpg
    The stage-used setlist from Eddie's Adelaide concert Night 1.
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
    ahill721ahill721 Posts: 2,071
    Loulou wrote:
    GorgeWildlife-PJposter015-1.jpg
    GorgeWildlife-PJposter019-1.jpg
    Finally framed Alpine Night 1 (both posters but the other shot I took is really fuzzy! :lol: ) and Night 2 last night. I know I did it myself and it's only cheap but I'm pretty happy with it. :)
    GorgeWildlife-PJposter016-1.jpg
    The stage-used setlist from Eddie's Adelaide concert Night 1.

I'm interested in the Klausen frame, is it a 24x36 with a grey mat?
  • Options
    You know, I'm not sure Adam?? :lol: Sorry, I'll have to measure it when I find a ruler. It IS grey though. :D
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
  • Options
    joe2468 wrote:

lets see some pics when you get them back..and how much did they charge you fo the handbill ???

here's the Toronto 09 redone.... I pulled the 1st edition I had in the frame out, put in the AP, added the blue under mat, and upgraded the glass to anti-glare (cause it's in an area of the house that seems to get a lot of reflections)...

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af216/sheppard8966/IMG_0390.jpg
    http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af216/sheppard8966/IMG_0389.jpg
    http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af216/sheppard8966/IMG_0388.jpg

I think it looks much better than it was originally done.

Here's the handbill.... I think it ran me $75 total (and it's done with anti-glare glass.... put it above my desk at work..... needed something pretty to look at)...

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af216/sheppard8966/IMG_0360.jpg
    http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af216/sheppard8966/IMG_0359.jpg

I'm very happy with how they both turned out.
  • Options
    http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af2 ... G_0360.jpg
    Wow, they both look great but I REALLY like this one! :o:D

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,404
    Screenshot2011-09-22at22317PM.png
    photo-17.jpg
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    shep wrote:

Here's the handbill.... I think it ran me $75 total (and it's done with anti-glare glass.... put it above my desk at work..... needed something pretty to look at)...

Stunning! Where is this from? Is a handbill what I think it is, just something that's handed out? This looks super fancy!
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    mfc2006 wrote:
    Screenshot2011-09-22at22317PM.png
    photo-17.jpg

Very cool. Like the PJ20 print in the simple black frame.

The Beatles print is both scary and awesome at the same time. Good call on the frame for that one.
  • Options
    Suziemay wrote:
    shep wrote:

Stunning! Where is this from? Is a handbill what I think it is, just something that's handed out? This looks super fancy!

This is an Emek handbill.... got it from Joe2468.... I have an obsession with everything Emek, and he managed to get an extra. Usually, Emek puts them in tubes with posters people purchase as a free extra.... sometimes he sells them...this one in particular (he made a left flying and a right flying one) he put in signed copies of his book that he sold as a little extra.....

I have a bunch of his handbills, but there are so so so so many.... they are fun little things I use to fill oddly sized and small walls... I love them 8-)
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    shep wrote:
    Suziemay wrote:
    shep wrote:

This is an Emek handbill.... got it from Joe2468.... I have an obsession with everything Emek, and he managed to get an extra. Usually, Emek puts them in tubes with posters people purchase as a free extra.... sometimes he sells them...this one in particular (he made a left flying and a right flying one) he put in signed copies of his book that he sold as a little extra.....

I have a bunch of his handbills, but there are so so so so many.... they are fun little things I use to fill oddly sized and small walls... I love them 8-)

Wow, that's a really nice free extra. Cool!
  • Options
    IgotshitIDIgotshitID St.john's Newfoundland Posts: 895
    how much are you guys paying for these frames?
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec City 5/5/2016
    Ottawa 5/8/2016
  • Options
    dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    IgotshitID wrote:
    how much are you guys paying for these frames?

I paid $230 altogether for my 2 frames from AmericanFrames.com, that was with the higher end options for the plexi-glass and matting. I'm not sure what kind of prices Michael's charge for similar products but I priced it out with some local custom framing shops and they wanted over $300 per frame. I thought the frames I bought were worth it, very good quality, easy to put together, and ordered online and received them in 1 week.
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
  • Options
    look familiar? :wtf:

revell-1-8-wolfman-model-kit~6163870w.jpg

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    CAN'T KEEP CRAZY MARY IN MY TREE NO WAY NOT FOR YOU. ALL THOSE YESTERDAY JEREMY is ALONE, SAD with RATS & BUGS it's HARD TO IMAGINE a JEREMY a BETTER MAN.
    LIFE WASTED, BLOOD on the PORCH, LAST KISS is a WISHLIST DEEP DOWN NOTHING AS IT SEEMS WHY GO COME BACK ALIVE SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE and SMILE.
  • Options
    Really excited, :D:D:D:D dropped my Jermaine Rogers, 'Soldier of Peace' (sparkley) foil print off at the framers yesterday. Can't wait to see how it turns out!! :)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2