Ohana - Great Music with no politics....please

1235»

Comments

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,264
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Happy to hear Ed’s views.  Not a Trumper and not American.  I don’t have a vote.  I would prefer not to have 10% of a show spent hearing his views which are well documented considering all the time, energy and money it costs to be at a festival and that the curfew is strict and doesn’t extend for time spent not on music.  Unthought Known and Setting Sun were cut.  The rant probably did not get one person to change their mind about their vote.  He was preaching to the choir.  

Speaking out is probably more important to him than playing a song. I think he has earned that right and he likely feels some responsibility to do so. Especially at his curated festival. It is what it is and has been part of the experience for many years. It does not matter that you traveled or that the set is shorter. When Ed has an audience, he will speak his mind. Know that the next time you buy tickets. 
    He has the right to do that and I have the right to say I would prefer if he didn’t.  Customer feedback.  But thanks for your advice.  
    It is not advice. It is going to happen. Every time.That customer feedback is like going to McDonald's and complaining they do not serve Whoppers.
    There's a reason you can now get lettuce and tomato on a quarter pounder lol
  • devonfzdevonfz Posts: 175
    I might go see somebody else def not creed but yah ed talks but this was different and it wasn’t the politics that mattered it came down to time management and killing the vibe of what could have been an epic nite imho most pj shows are good but the epic ones alway come down to setlists where pj is played 
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,948
    devonfz said:
    I might go see somebody else def not creed but yah ed talks but this was different and it wasn’t the politics that mattered it came down to time management and killing the vibe of what could have been an epic nite imho most pj shows are good but the epic ones alway come down to setlists where pj is played 
    Bingo 
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,986
    devonfz said:
    I always wonder how people determine the killing of the vibe. My vibe was not killed and it was epic. 
  • ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 1,000
    Some Karen’s in this thread. Wow. 
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,986
    pjl44 said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Happy to hear Ed’s views.  Not a Trumper and not American.  I don’t have a vote.  I would prefer not to have 10% of a show spent hearing his views which are well documented considering all the time, energy and money it costs to be at a festival and that the curfew is strict and doesn’t extend for time spent not on music.  Unthought Known and Setting Sun were cut.  The rant probably did not get one person to change their mind about their vote.  He was preaching to the choir.  

Speaking out is probably more important to him than playing a song. I think he has earned that right and he likely feels some responsibility to do so. Especially at his curated festival. It is what it is and has been part of the experience for many years. It does not matter that you traveled or that the set is shorter. When Ed has an audience, he will speak his mind. Know that the next time you buy tickets. 
    He has the right to do that and I have the right to say I would prefer if he didn’t.  Customer feedback.  But thanks for your advice.  
    It is not advice. It is going to happen. Every time.That customer feedback is like going to McDonald's and complaining they do not serve Whoppers.
    There’s a reason people laugh at the term Sandwich Artist. They aren’t artists. 

• MikeDigsMikeDigs Posts: 1,248
    devonfz said:
    I always wonder how people determine the killing of the vibe. My vibe was not killed and it was epic. 
    Yes exactly.  RVM came on and I was flying from the excitement.  A high octane performance of probably my all-time favorite Pearl Jam song.  Vibe killed?  WTF?  How?  Do you have a pulse?  Do you hear RVM blasting across those brilliant speakers.  Makes no sense to me.  I didn't let the statues around me ruin my vibe, I rocked out.  You won't see any statues at a Philly show, just saying...
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,199
    devonfz said:
    Agree
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,957
    I would rather they just brought the McRib back  =)
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,759
    I don't know if I'd say the vibe was killed but the momentum certainly took a hit. Took a while for the crowd to get back in during Rearviewmirror and then it was straight to the Encore and slower songs.  He could make the point in a much more succinct way and have time for another song at the end. Plus it was the last show of the U.S. tour.  Can't imagine what it must have felt like way back in the bleachers, especially for a casual fan.  Still had a great time but no reason that differing views can't be discussed.  I don't think anyone is wishing for more talking and fewer songs. 
    id sacrifice evenflow for talking
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,376
    pjl44 said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

Yeah, but they still can't give you those trademarked Burger King flame-grilled lines on the burger.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,376
    I don't know if I'd say the vibe was killed but the momentum certainly took a hit. Took a while for the crowd to get back in during Rearviewmirror and then it was straight to the Encore and slower songs.  He could make the point in a much more succinct way and have time for another song at the end. Plus it was the last show of the U.S. tour.  Can't imagine what it must have felt like way back in the bleachers, especially for a casual fan.  Still had a great time but no reason that differing views can't be discussed.  I don't think anyone is wishing for more talking and fewer songs. 
    The transition from the speech into "Rearviewmirror" was also nonexistent, so it kind of stepped on the beginning of the song-- my favorite song by anyone ever, incidentally-- as it took me a few seconds to be like, "Oh, we're back playing music again." It was also weird because that would have been a good time for Ed to introduce Watt, who was on guitar, but he never did. I'm sure there were a lot of people there who were left wondering who that additional guitarist was.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
    Yeah having to inteoduce Watt like after the encore break was a tad off. haha
  • Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Posts: 1,068
    pjl44 said:
    Get_Right said:
    pjl44 said:
    What I'm saying is in this touring environment you have to consider any additional headwinds you might be giving yourself 

It is a non issue for Pearl Jam. Plenty of tickets and merch sold, and plenty of people happy with what the band delivered. The overanalyzing of how the band spent 7 minutes onstage just takes away from the enjoyment of being at a pearl jam concert. And people act surprised that the first encore is mellow. They have been doing it every night.
    I can see it being overanalysis if it's someone who wasn't at the show. But if someone (or multiple people) who were there say it killed the vibe that's a legit critique.

It resonates with me because The Gaslight Anthem and Ted Leo are a couple examples of bands that I haven't bothered going to see in years because the last couple times the guy with the mic just would. not. shut. up. I personally have never experienced that at a Pearl Jam show but boy do I understand it.
    I love when Ed or Brian (TGA) chat at the mic. Makes the show more unique. 
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

Yeah, but they still can't give you those trademarked Burger King flame-grilled lines on the burger.
    Much like the square burger and Bugs, some things no one is asking for 
    pjl44 said:
    Get_Right said:
    pjl44 said:
    What I'm saying is in this touring environment you have to consider any additional headwinds you might be giving yourself 

It is a non issue for Pearl Jam. Plenty of tickets and merch sold, and plenty of people happy with what the band delivered. The overanalyzing of how the band spent 7 minutes onstage just takes away from the enjoyment of being at a pearl jam concert. And people act surprised that the first encore is mellow. They have been doing it every night.
    I can see it being overanalysis if it's someone who wasn't at the show. But if someone (or multiple people) who were there say it killed the vibe that's a legit critique.

It resonates with me because The Gaslight Anthem and Ted Leo are a couple examples of bands that I haven't bothered going to see in years because the last couple times the guy with the mic just would. not. shut. up. I personally have never experienced that at a Pearl Jam show but boy do I understand it.
    I love when Ed or Brian (TGA) chat at the mic. Makes the show more unique. 
    Matter of how much for me. Back in the day I would have agreed with you on Brian but the last two times I saw them it was way way too much.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,703
    Talking and the call and response stuff drives me crazy....I honestly don't even understand why the person on stage wants to do a call and response but I sit at a desk all day so there.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana