Ohana - Great Music with no politics....please

Comments

• Glorified KCGlorified KC Posts: 2,634
    BF25394 said:
    If you don’t want politics you shouldn’t go see the guys live.  It’s always going to be prevalent with EV.
    If you don't want politics, you shouldn't listen to their music. The. Songs. Are. Political. They have been from the beginning. Some people are oblivious about this, but it remains true.
    You can listen to the non-political songs.  They aren’t Rage Against the Machine.  There are plenty of non-political tracks in the catalog.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • SS105464 said:
    I have traveled many miles to hear some great music and enjoy one of the best festivals around.  Is it too much to ask EV to sing not preach?  Politics is blasted at us daily, this weekend should be a nice break from it.  To those of you who will give me the standard "Pearl Jam has always been vocal about issues, if you don't like it don't go to their shows" - that is a ridiculous statement so don't bother posting.  I have been listening to PJ longer than you have been alive.
    Ok Boomer!
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,840
    njhaley1 said:
    Might as well ask 2 Live Crew not to swear or sing about booty. 

Why now u dont bootying I mean bitching???
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,986
    The ongoing struggle for the republican Pearl Jam fan. 
  • SS105464 said:
    "I have been listening to PJ longer than you have been alive."
    Bold claim. I didn't know Pearl Jam was playing songs 48 years ago...but ok, you do you homie. 
    Member since 1996...
  • vmfuryvmfury Posts: 1,091
    This thread provoked my first laugh of the day. 😆 

If you’ve truly been listening to Pearl Jam, this thread would not have been created. 
    We’ll meet again, but not yet…not yet. 
  • KM73780KM73780 Posts: 1,117
    Interesting that OP made this request and then never commented again on their own thread?
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,376
    pjl44 said:
    I also feel like, on balance, Ed has moderated quite a bit at live shows over the last 10-15 years. At least the shows I've been to. Whenever I hear someone gripe about it nowadays I'm like buddy your head would have exploded 20 years ago.
    I agree with this. My biggest problem with his speeches historically hasn't been that I agree or disagree with the subject matter, but that they have been rambling, discursive and not particularly persuasive (even as someone who is basically sympathetic to his point of view). He has gotten better at being pointed but less inflammatory. Last night's speech about grifting was a lowlight, though-- not because Trump's not a grifter and a menace (he plainly is), and not because it wasn't amusing at times (I laughed once or twice)-- but because it brought the show to a screeching halt for what felt like six full minutes. They could have played the full "W.M.A." in that time.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,341
    KM73780 said:
    Interesting that OP made this request and then never commented again on their own thread?
    Why would they? Would you come back here and explain yourself to all these posts? Waste of time 
  • The ongoing struggle for the republican Pearl Jam fan. 
    haha
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,199
    edited September 30
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    I also feel like, on balance, Ed has moderated quite a bit at live shows over the last 10-15 years. At least the shows I've been to. Whenever I hear someone gripe about it nowadays I'm like buddy your head would have exploded 20 years ago.
    I agree with this. My biggest problem with his speeches historically hasn't been that I agree or disagree with the subject matter, but that they have been rambling, discursive and not particularly persuasive (even as someone who is basically sympathetic to his point of view). He has gotten better at being pointed but less inflammatory. Last night's speech about grifting was a lowlight, though-- not because Trump's not a grifter and a menace (he plainly is), and not because it wasn't amusing at times (I laughed once or twice)-- but because it brought the show to a screeching halt for what felt like six full minutes. They could have played the full "W.M.A." in that time.
    He has a way of losing himself on the way to the point sometimes. Hehe. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,264
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head
  • I am happy I got some Trump bashing 🙃 🇺🇸
  • devonfzdevonfz Posts: 175
    Yah the show was amazing thru betterman and then literally came to a halt the crowd completely lost an  amazing vibe and never recovered it was a seven minute rant on trump that made little sense and when you see the songs scratched off the list yah I’m not happy either it’s one thing if they had started on time or didn’t cut out music but it really was amazing until then plus the two ed solo songs  so yep I get it I just wanted a little more pj
    too
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,840
    KM73780 said:

@SoTheCommentSectionIsntGoingHowYouWanted?
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,415
    AlaG said:
    Going to public spaces and not being affected by the current sociopolitical climate and a recent very unpopular decision that was made by the Supreme Court is unfortunately a privilege less and less people have these days.

Women having bodily autonomy shouldn’t be “political”. Reasonable gun control laws to keep our kids safe shouldn’t be “political”. They’re really not saying anything that isn’t totally agreeable for anyone with a shred of empathy. Just spreading love and community.
    👏👏

This right here
    Agreed.... Well said..... There needs to be a lot more empathy
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC Posts: 2,634
    cbeiting said:
    SS105464 said:
    "I have been listening to PJ longer than you have been alive."
    Bold claim. I didn't know Pearl Jam was playing songs 48 years ago...but ok, you do you homie. 

Yeah I didn't know 34 was larger than 42.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 1,000
    I am happy I got some Trump bashing 🙃 🇺🇸
    MAKE AMERICA TRUMPLESS AGAIN
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,432
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head
    Agreed as well
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,763
    ZoSoTim said:
    I am happy I got some Trump bashing 🙃 🇺🇸
    MAKE AMERICA TRUMPLESS AGAIN
    Ah Trump ... It's ..

MAGA = Make America Greek Again

• MikeDigsMikeDigs Posts: 1,248
    Setting Sun being removed from the set is the biggest casualty of this.   Would have been the perfect closer to end the US tour.  At the beach.

But... that Smile acapela was awesome.

• devonfzdevonfz Posts: 175
    edited October 1
    I think politics aside, and I’m OK with the band and you guys and whoever else voting for whoever you want good for you, but for me, it’s not just a politics the talking was insane they could’ve played animal in the time that Eddie was talking to the guy with a sign that said let me play on animal not getting setting sun at the end was just a little disappointing
    Post edited by devonfz on
  • vmfuryvmfury Posts: 1,091
    MikeDigs said:
    Setting Sun being removed from the set is the biggest casualty of this.   Would have been the perfect closer to end the US tour.  At the beach.

But... that Smile acapela was awesome.

Agreed and absolutely. 
    We’ll meet again, but not yet…not yet. 
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,258
    I just wish in today’s climate artists would keep the politics to a minimum or not at all. Everyone seems so divided just because of politics. We need unity. Music brings a bunch of different walks of life together. This is coming from someone that used to love a good EV rant but now I feel like there’s an opportunity to unite people over the music we love. 
    I just wish in today’s climate artists would keep the politics to a minimum or not at all. Everyone seems so divided just because of politics. We need unity. Music brings a bunch of different walks of life together. This is coming from someone that used to love a good EV rant but now I feel like there’s an opportunity to unite people over the music we love. 
    Please
  • Patrick_Sea3Patrick_Sea3 Posts: 906
    Really? They eat the cats the dogs…eff the republicans 
  • enddemenddem Posts: 76
    Actually we're divided because of class dealignment, but I digress. We won't come together over anything--let alone the music--so long as there's a political party out there that shamelessly dehumanizes people to mobilize voters. Crush that party (and let's be honest, the other one ain't that great), then there'll be a chance.
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,948
    devonfz said:
    Yah the show was amazing thru betterman and then literally came to a halt the crowd completely lost an  amazing vibe and never recovered it was a seven minute rant on trump that made little sense and when you see the songs scratched off the list yah I’m not happy either it’s one thing if they had started on time or didn’t cut out music but it really was amazing until then plus the two ed solo songs  so yep I get it I just wanted a little more pj
    too
    I’m aligned with this.  In fact I posted the same thing the night of the show in the setlist thread.  I have no issues with the politics being discussed.  It’s important.  But this show had a strict limit of 125 minutes.  They started 5 minutes late and the 7 minute rant makes about 10% of the total show time wasted.  Also the timing of the 7 minutes killed the vibe 100%.  

And Ed heckling a fan who wanted to play drums was not politics.  It was just a total waste of time and honestly was a little mean.  

As a result of all that RVM was the lamest crowd for RVM I’ve ever been in.  And then the two duets, pretty though they were, basically sealed the deal and locked in the sedation for the duration.  

Still had fun and still glad I went, but it could have been so much better.  It could have been a solid block of music like Alanis!   
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
    devonfz said:
    too
    It made CNN and a CNN youtube clip
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,875
    The stakes are too high this November and if Eddie has a platform and wants to discuss important topics like Democracy then good for him. Democracy is at stake and pj have been political since day 1. If you are shocked by it, then go to a Jane’s Addiction show, not sure what else to tell you. Both shows looked great and jealous I wasn’t there. Vote Blue for democracy in November!