Ohana - Great Music with no politics....please

Comments

• vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 899
    devonfz said:
    Yah the show was amazing thru betterman and then literally came to a halt the crowd completely lost an  amazing vibe and never recovered it was a seven minute rant on trump that made little sense and when you see the songs scratched off the list yah I’m not happy either it’s one thing if they had started on time or didn’t cut out music but it really was amazing until then plus the two ed solo songs  so yep I get it I just wanted a little more pj
    too
    I’m aligned with this.  In fact I posted the same thing the night of the show in the setlist thread.  I have no issues with the politics being discussed.  It’s important.  But this show had a strict limit of 125 minutes.  They started 5 minutes late and the 7 minute rant makes about 10% of the total show time wasted.  Also the timing of the 7 minutes killed the vibe 100%.  

And Ed heckling a fan who wanted to play drums was not politics.  It was just a total waste of time and honestly was a little mean.  

As a result of all that RVM was the lamest crowd for RVM I’ve ever been in.  And then the two duets, pretty though they were, basically sealed the deal and locked in the sedation for the duration.  

Still had fun and still glad I went, but it could have been so much better.  It could have been a solid block of music like Alanis!   
    He’s not wrong 
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,376
    One of the things that we (including me) may be missing in all of this is that the chatter may be a deliberate strategy to give the band a chance to catch its breath in recognition of their age and the wear and tear of playing and touring. I'm pretty sure this is why we get the Ed solo interlude at the start of every encore-- to extend the band's break from five minutes to ten minutes. Add in a speech or two and the band (especially Matt in light of the Taylor Hawkins tragedy) gets another couple of breathers.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,199
    And Stone in light of the Slash and Axl tragedy of 1994
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,614
    SS105464 said:
    "Pearl Jam has always been vocal about issues, if you don't like it don't go to their shows" 

• benlw86benlw86 Posts: 77
    Everything can be considered 'politics'. People who say 'please don't speak politics' are referring to 'controversial topics' in their eyes. Asking for women to have control over their own body is so fucking obvious, it really should not be controversial, hence, it is not politics.
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,765
    Yup!
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,957
    benlw86 said:
    Everything can be considered 'politics'. People who say 'please don't speak politics' are referring to 'controversial topics' in their eyes. Asking for women to have control over their own body is so fucking obvious, it really should not be controversial, hence, it is not politics.

Technically, it is judicial. But it is very much political in that politicians could do something about the judicial decision. 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,264
    benlw86 said:
    Speaking so forcefully yet also euphemistically encapsulates why this issue persists
  • Fuck Trump and all the people who give him the power to promote his hate and fear. I couldn't be more happy that the band I've loved since I was 19 is still aligned with my values as a human. I love you hypocrites who say shut up and play/sing,  but cheer and pump your fist when kid rock or Ted nugent says something you like. You say fuckin right,  that's their God given American right.  If you don't want to hear what Ed or any of the rest of the guys have to say...fuck off..and turn fox news back and continue to get triggered by people who don't like your cult hero,  your a Snowflake!
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,663
    Fuck Trump and all the people who give him the power to promote his hate and fear. I couldn't be more happy that the band I've loved since I was 19 is still aligned with my values as a human. I love you hypocrites who say shut up and play/sing,  but cheer and pump your fist when kid rock or Ted nugent says something you like. You say fuckin right,  that's their God given American right.  If you don't want to hear what Ed or any of the rest of the guys have to say...fuck off..and turn fox news back and continue to get triggered by people who don't like your cult hero,  your a Snowflake!
    💯
  • devonfzdevonfz Posts: 175
    were you even at the show?
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,948
    Happy to hear Ed’s views.  Not a Trumper and not American.  I don’t have a vote.  I would prefer not to have 10% of a show spent hearing his views which are well documented considering all the time, energy and money it costs to be at a festival and that the curfew is strict and doesn’t extend for time spent not on music.  Unthought Known and Setting Sun were cut.  The rant probably did not get one person to change their mind about their vote.  He was preaching to the choir.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • EdVedder_1EdVedder_1 Posts: 146
    Saw a woman at ohana last year wearing a god guns and chic fil a shirt. Don't think your going to be able to avoid it.
  • EdVedder_1EdVedder_1 Posts: 146
    Saw a woman at ohana last year wearing a god guns and chic fil a shirt. Don't think your going to be able to avoid it.
    Happy to hear Ed’s views.  Not a Trumper and not American.  I don’t have a vote.  I would prefer not to have 10% of a show spent hearing his views which are well documented considering all the time, energy and money it costs to be at a festival and that the curfew is strict and doesn’t extend for time spent not on music.  Unthought Known and Setting Sun were cut.  The rant probably did not get one person to change their mind about their vote.  He was preaching to the choir.  

Speaking out is probably more important to him than playing a song. I think he has earned that right and he likely feels some responsibility to do so. Especially at his curated festival. It is what it is and has been part of the experience for many years. It does not matter that you traveled or that the set is shorter. When Ed has an audience, he will speak his mind. Know that the next time you buy tickets. 
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,663
    Luckily those are few and far between at Ohana. 
    Get_Right said:

Speaking out is probably more important to him than playing a song. I think he has earned that right and he likely feels some responsibility to do so. Especially at his curated festival. It is what it is and has been part of the experience for many years. It does not matter that you traveled or that the set is shorter. When Ed has an audience, he will speak his mind. Know that the next time you buy tickets. 
    I would also hope that the artist understands "if you don't like our indulgences, don't buy a ticket" isn't a risk-free proposition 
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,986
    pjl44 said:
    Get_Right said:

I would also hope that the artist understands "if you don't like our indulgences, don't buy a ticket" isn't a risk-free proposition 
    Doesn’t seem to be very risky. We’re at year 34 now. 
    edited October 7
    pjl44 said:
    Get_Right said:

There are a lot of US regions they don't play any more or very infrequently and we all saw what happened in Europe. I'm not saying this is in any way connected to political chit chat but we need to be honest here.
    What I'm saying is in this touring environment you have to consider any additional headwinds you might be giving yourself 
    pjl44 said:
    What I'm saying is in this touring environment you have to consider any additional headwinds you might be giving yourself 

It is a non issue for Pearl Jam. Plenty of tickets and merch sold, and plenty of people happy with what the band delivered. The overanalyzing of how the band spent 7 minutes onstage just takes away from the enjoyment of being at a pearl jam concert. And people act surprised that the first encore is mellow. They have been doing it every night.
    Get_Right said:
    pjl44 said:

It is a non issue for Pearl Jam. Plenty of tickets and merch sold, and plenty of people happy with what the band delivered. The overanalyzing of how the band spent 7 minutes onstage just takes away from the enjoyment of being at a pearl jam concert. And people act surprised that the first encore is mellow. They have been doing it every night.
    I can see it being overanalysis if it's someone who wasn't at the show. But if someone (or multiple people) who were there say it killed the vibe that's a legit critique.

It resonates with me because The Gaslight Anthem and Ted Leo are a couple examples of bands that I haven't bothered going to see in years because the last couple times the guy with the mic just would. not. shut. up. I personally have never experienced that at a Pearl Jam show but boy do I understand it.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,986
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Get_Right said:

There are a lot of US regions they don't play any more or very infrequently and we all saw what happened in Europe. I'm not saying this is in any way connected to political chit chat but we need to be honest here.
    I’m not sure who isn’t being honest. They’ve played recently in Texas, Oklahoma, and Indiana. 
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Get_Right said:

I’m not sure who isn’t being honest. They’ve played recently in Texas, Oklahoma, and Indiana. 
    Every 10 years is infrequent
    Get_Right said:

He has the right to do that and I have the right to say I would prefer if he didn’t.  Customer feedback.  But thanks for your advice.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,199
    pjl44 said:
    Haha. No they do not have to do that.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Get_Right said:

He has the right to do that and I have the right to say I would prefer if he didn’t.  Customer feedback.  But thanks for your advice.  
    It is not advice. It is going to happen. Every time.That customer feedback is like going to McDonald's and complaining they do not serve Whoppers.
  • Happy JulioHappy Julio Posts: 164
    SS105464 said:
    I have traveled many miles to hear some great music and enjoy one of the best festivals around.  Is it too much to ask EV to sing not preach?  Politics is blasted at us daily, this weekend should be a nice break from it.  To those of you who will give me the standard "Pearl Jam has always been vocal about issues, if you don't like it don't go to their shows" - that is a ridiculous statement so don't bother posting.  I have been listening to PJ longer than you have been alive.
    Go see Creed
    2006 PJ/Petty Milwaukee Night 1
    2007 Lollapalooza Chicago
    2013 Wrigley Chicago
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

It is not advice. It is going to happen. Every time.That customer feedback is like going to McDonald's and complaining they do not serve Whoppers.
    They don’t? Who knew