Ohana - Great Music with no politics....please

I have traveled many miles to hear some great music and enjoy one of the best festivals around.  Is it too much to ask EV to sing not preach?  Politics is blasted at us daily, this weekend should be a nice break from it.  To those of you who will give me the standard "Pearl Jam has always been vocal about issues, if you don't like it don't go to their shows" - that is a ridiculous statement so don't bother posting.  I have been listening to PJ longer than you have been alive.

Comments

• Lol
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,765
    Mmkay
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,460
    Well Ed is literally the host of this thing so I imagine he will bring up topics that important to him and his family, one being voting for women’s rights.  But cool post 
  • bzouidenbzouiden Posts: 137
    I just don't understand posts like this.... I mean you are on the PJ forum and listening since 1977 (since I have been alive) so you at least know the Ed/band well enough to know that they will and should.   As far as don't go to shows or not that is on you.  I think the point is if you don't like what they are about there are plenty of other things to consume.  As the pjhawks put it (very well) "I imagine he will bring up topics that important to him and his family, one being voting for women’s rights." As well he should as he has every right to, if people like Ed stop caring about the planet, our rights, corporate control there is really no hope for the rest of us.  I think you actually state the reason why Ed needs to talk about it, we are blasted with lies.  Also without a clean ocean you wouldn't be able to have the festival, I went 21 which was the same year of the oil spill north of the festival and it was one of the worst things I have ever seen in nature.
    Kansas City 1998  /\  Kansas City 2000  /\  Kansas City 2003  /\  St. Louis 2014
    Ohana Encore N1 & N2 2021 /\ St. Louis 2022  /\  OKC 2022  /\  Chicago N1 & N2 2023
    Chicago N1 & N2 2024

• BagCzechBagCzech Posts: 464
    a meme of michael jackson eating popcorn with the caption  don t mind me just here to read the comments
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,145
    "Please be a different band than you have always been so my bubble doesn't get burst."

Go enjoy the music and agree to disagree on politics. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Ed can say whatever he wants. Free speech. 
  • coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,460
    This is why I don't go to a Kid Rock concert. That and his music is awful. 
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,091
    Sometimes I feel overwhelmed with how we’re forced to think and talk about politics 24/7 these days. When I’m feeling that way, I find someplace I can be alone, draw the curtains, light some candles, make myself a cup of tea, and start a thread titled “no politics please” on an internet message board.
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,957
    I highly doubt you have been listening to them longer than I have been alive. I pre-date the band by 20+ years. He will talk. It is part of the show. It will be fine and over in a few minutes. I think he actually does less talking at Ohana because of the tight schedule. Get out and vote, restore women's rights. I would expect something like that.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,199
    edited September 27
    SS105464 said:
    I have traveled many miles to hear some great music and enjoy one of the best festivals around.  Is it too much to ask EV to sing not preach?  Politics is blasted at us daily, this weekend should be a nice break from it.  To those of you who will give me the standard "Pearl Jam has always been vocal about issues, if you don't like it don't go to their shows" - that is a ridiculous statement so don't bother posting.  I have been listening to PJ longer than you have been alive.
    weird?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,313
    edited September 27
    You probably picked the wrong band to go see if you don’t want any political or activism messages. They’ve been doing it since day 1. It’s like going to a Kid Rock concert and requesting no shitty music. Ain’t gonna happen. 

Also, you’ve been listening to PJ for 45 years? Impressive!
  • shepshep Posts: 5,767
    SS105464 said:
    I know I shouldn't stereotype or assume anything... but everytime I read a post like this I think to myself:

"Oh look, another republican Pearl Jam fan... see, they do exist!"
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • What a completely ridiculous post. 
    Also no one cares how many miles you’ve traveled. How hard is it to understand, this is not about YOU
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,264
    Buddy, your post ain't gonna prevent the unenlightened masses in Southern California from finally hearing the good word
  • njhaley1njhaley1 Posts: 736
    I have traveled a long way, let me speak to the manager. 
  • rival9500rival9500 Posts: 573
    Feelings are hard sometimes.
    1998: Pitt
    2000: Pitt
    2003: Pitt, State College, Columbus,DC, Hershey
    2004: Reading, Toledo, DC
    2005: Pitt
    2006: Cleve, Camden 1+2, DC, Pitt, Cinci
    2008: Camden 1+2, DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Columbus
    2012: Philly
    2013: Pitt, NYC 1+2
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,227
    SS105464 said:
    To those of you who will give me the standard "Pearl Jam has always been vocal about issues, if you don't like it don't go to their shows" - that is a ridiculous statement so don't bother posting.  I have been listening to PJ longer than you have been alive.
    This has to be trolling. 
  • Shut up and sing hasn't worked in the past.  I doubt it will work now.
  • spankyMPspankyMP Posts: 1,805
    Welp, you know that's not going to happen, so buckle up. You'll get a couple short comments on the importance of voting and not trampling women's rights. I'm sure you can handle that much. If not, thoughts and prayers :)
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • RP112579RP112579 Posts: 3,381
    So. Fucking. Fragile.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
    8/29/23 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/31/23 Chicago-Wrigley Field
  • enddemenddem Posts: 76
    The whole purpose of Ohana is raising awareness of and support for an explicitly political project 
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,663
    Ed can say whatever he wants. Free speech. 
    MORE POLITICS!!! LOVE IT!!
  • tdawe said:
    Sometimes I feel overwhelmed with how we’re forced to think and talk about politics 24/7 these days. When I’m feeling that way, I find someplace I can be alone, draw the curtains, light some candles, make myself a cup of tea, and start a thread titled “no politics please” on an internet message board.
    Haha, great post!!
  • I heard Eddie has the concepts of a plan. He might share those this weekend. Be prepared. 
  • kaw753kaw753 Posts: 841
    Heard rumours there will be a goateed gentleman named Teddie Vedder coming out with some opposing views.

• JDime20JDime20 Posts: 195
    They’ve always been vocal about issues, if you don't like it don't go to their shows. 
  • shep said:
    SS105464 said:
    I know I shouldn't stereotype or assume anything... but everytime I read a post like this I think to myself:

"Oh look, another republican Pearl Jam fan... see, they do exist!"
    Take a look back through their post history. Bingo
  • coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,460
    JDime20 said:
    They’ve always been vocal about issues, if you don't like it don't go to their shows. 
    Charlie Murphy Laughing GIFs  Tenor
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • Travelled over the atlantic. If I don’t get ”go vote” spreeches and Trump digs I could have stayed waiting for the next european tour
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"