Kamala Harris VEEP Pick

Comments

• cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    mace1229 said:
    why would the teacher buy that?

My brother is a teacher. He isn’t scrolling through amazon buying pens and rulers…
    Because if I don't have Kleenex, where do you think all the snot and boogers go? Kids just don't not get runny noses if there's no Kleenex.
    I also buy a box of golf pencils for about $8 and that lasts a year for kids who don't bring one. It's just easier to spend $8 than to deal with kids all year not working because they forgot a pencil. Because when they're not working, it's a headache for me. 
    That and a bundle of Clorox wipes on rebate at Costco are about all I buy. If $10 on Clorox wipes keeps me from getting sick once or twice a year, it's money well spent for me. It's all about making my life easier. If it doesn't, I won't spend my money on it. 

I’ll say it again, the fact that you have to even think about purchasing these items is bs.  Teachers have to worry about too much as it is.  Screw those vouchers and charter schools.  If public Ed isn’t your choice then pay for it yourself and transport your kid yourself.  We had to transport kids all over the place, miles and miles away because a private school parent ran for the school board and won.  Politicians are ALWAYS out for themselves-blue or red.  
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,281
    teskeinc said:
    could it be that we are spending more money on securing schools than actually educating the children? it is expensive to educate one child, as someone pointed out earlier, but security is not cheap. i would assume that is coming out of the school's money for actually educating the kids??

why would we not consider doing something about the guns? seems to be an easier option. keep the money in the classroom where it is supposed to be?
    It’s your big government at work. If you give them more money they will find a way to waste it. I buy a $75 box every summer from a company that ships it to my kids class and is there at his desk on the first day. Occasionally a teacher will message that the class needs copy paper or something else. 

Schools get X amount of dollars per student. Last I read it was about $5000 per kid per school year.
    Hmmmm, sure. When was that? 1972?

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2024/public-school-spending-per-pupil.html
    https://educationdata.org/public-education-spending-statistics

Approximately twenty years ago, when I was trying to put my kids, including my special-needs child, in our local public school in California, the state was giving schools something like $7000 - $8000/ student. Since appropriate accommodations for one of my children would have cost up to $60,000/year, I was told to take both of my children, go home, and never darken the school's door again. Was this illegal? Oh, yes, absolutely. Was it a purely financial decision? Yep. Was it an isolated incident? Not really; I sat in meetings where school principals and superintendents boasted of how they had found "accommodations" for students with extra needs that saved thousands of dollars, pushed much of the burden back onto the parents, and did at best the bare minimum for the child. It was enraging.
    They definitely should have handled it differently.
    The problem is schools have so many requirements, but are not given the funding to provide them. I don't know about your particular case, but often time a school doesn't have the facilities and/or staff to meet the requirements and accommodations. And they will be held liable for not provided accommodations that the state says they have to, but at the same time are not given proper funding for. 
    That's why it's always a joke when I hear people campaigning on making class sizes smaller or other similar school agendas. You can mandate anything you want, but unless you provide the funding for it, it's not going to happen. And then schools can be legally liable for not providing the requirements that they were never given the funding for. 
    I see it every day. Students require a personal para to assist them throughout the day. How do you meet that when they get paid $18/hr, it's a tough job and no one applies for it? And there's not room in the budge too pay more. Or to offer ELL services for large language populations, but again, the a district just had to cut 5% of their staff for budget cuts, where are they going find an extra teacher to double up in a classroom when they just had to let 5 of them go? Its frustrating all the way around, and I can only imagine how infuriating it is for a parent as well.
    mace1229 said:
    teskeinc said:
    could it be that we are spending more money on securing schools than actually educating the children? it is expensive to educate one child, as someone pointed out earlier, but security is not cheap. i would assume that is coming out of the school's money for actually educating the kids??

why would we not consider doing something about the guns? seems to be an easier option. keep the money in the classroom where it is supposed to be?
    It’s your big government at work. If you give them more money they will find a way to waste it. I buy a $75 box every summer from a company that ships it to my kids class and is there at his desk on the first day. Occasionally a teacher will message that the class needs copy paper or something else. 

Schools get X amount of dollars per student. Last I read it was about $5000 per kid per school year.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2024/public-school-spending-per-pupil.html

Approximately twenty years ago, when I was trying to put my kids, including my special-needs child, in our local public school in California, the state was giving schools something like $7000 - $8000/ student. Since appropriate accommodations for one of my children would have cost up to $60,000/year, I was told to take both of my children, go home, and never darken the school's door again. Was this illegal? Oh, yes, absolutely. Was it a purely financial decision? Yep. Was it an isolated incident? Not really; I sat in meetings where school principals and superintendents boasted of how they had found "accommodations" for students with extra needs that saved thousands of dollars, pushed much of the burden back onto the parents, and did at best the bare minimum for the child. It was enraging.
    The problem is schools have so many requirements, but are not given the funding to provide them. I don't know about your particular case, but often time a school doesn't have the facilities and/or staff to meet the requirements and accommodations. And they will be held liable for not provided accommodations that the state says they have to, but at the same time are not given proper funding for. 
    That's why it's always a joke when I hear people campaigning on making class sizes smaller or other similar school agendas. You can mandate anything you want, but unless you provide the funding for it, it's not going to happen. And then schools can be legally liable for not providing the requirements that they were never given the funding for. 
    I see it every day. Students require a personal para to assist them throughout the day. How do you meet that when they get paid $18/hr, it's a tough job and no one applies for it? And there's not room in the budge too pay more. Or to offer ELL services for large language populations, but again, the a district just had to cut 5% of their staff for budget cuts, where are they going find an extra teacher to double up in a classroom when they just had to let 5 of them go? It’s frustrating all the way around, and I can only imagine how infuriating it is for a parent as well.
    You’re absolutely correct…everything you’ve posted is exactly the crap that goes on. Thank you for what you do.  It’s extremely important.  
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,987
    Josh Shapiro
    mace1229 said:
    teskeinc said:

I see it every day. Students require a personal para to assist them throughout the day. How do you meet that when they get paid $18/hr, it's a tough job and no one applies for it? And there's not room in the budge too pay more. Or to offer ELL services for large language populations, but again, the a district just had to cut 5% of their staff for budget cuts, where are they going find an extra teacher to double up in a classroom when they just had to let 5 of them go? Its frustrating all the way around, and I can only imagine how infuriating it is for a parent as well.

So, to be fair, I don't think they were equipped to provide appropriate accommodations for my child; his case is particularly complex and challenging.
    But they could have simply admitted that. Instead, they threatened me: If you try to enroll your child, we will put him in the "emotionally disturbed" classroom and leave him there.
    Other cases I saw were less complicated, but the primary concern was the budget, not the child's needs.
    And I'm sympathetic to the budget constraints; I'd say we experienced the direct effects of those budget constraints, in the form of thirteen years of lost income for me. In other words, there are broader consequences here that people don't consider when they gripe that they don't have kids in the schools, so why should they pay taxes? Our smaller household income meant we spent less in the community. My lack of work means that the community had one less person contributing to the economy.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,711
    Josh Shapiro
    mace1229 said:
    teskeinc said:

So, to be fair, I don't think they were equipped to provide appropriate accommodations for my child; his case is particularly complex and challenging.
    But they could have simply admitted that. Instead, they threatened me: If you try to enroll your child, we will put him in the "emotionally disturbed" classroom and leave him there.
    Other cases I saw were less complicated, but the primary concern was the budget, not the child's needs.
    And I'm sympathetic to the budget constraints; I'd say we experienced the direct effects of those budget constraints, in the form of thirteen years of lost income for me. In other words, there are broader consequences here that people don't consider when they gripe that they don't have kids in the schools, so why should they pay taxes? Our smaller household income meant we spent less in the community. My lack of work means that the community had one less person contributing to the economy.
    sorry you had to deal with that...that's awful
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • njhaley1njhaley1 Posts: 736
    Inspired from an article my wife forwarded to me https://www.buzzfeed.com/morgansloss1/tim-walz-jd-vance-comparisons-reddit

Feel free to add more!

Josh Shapiro
    lol...I grew up on Goofus and Gallant

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    Josh Shapiro

Weird!

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,196
    lol...I grew up on Goofus and Gallant
    yup. my immediate connection to the above.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,196
    US Democratic VP nominee Walz accepts CBS News' offer to debate Vance on Oct. 1 - https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-democratic-vp-nominee-walz-accepts-cbs-news-offer-debate-vance-oct-1-2024-08-14/
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,547
    teskeinc said:

This is stunning. Expecting this from Alabama,  not California. Personally I can't thank my school district and NYS enough for our experiences with special ed needs.

Given what a private education costs, I would have considered  suing the school district, the administration, the board and state for negligence and purposefully violating the law, for legal fees and damages. I know its David vs Goliath and dealing with lawyers, but they are bragging about violating the law in that example. 
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,987
    Josh Shapiro

Weird!

Oh, he thinks he gets to decide what "the whole purpose of the postmenopausal female" is? Eff that guy.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,478
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,856
    Josh Shapiro
    huh

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,635
    Can anyone spot the tampon?

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • teskeincteskeinc Posts: 1,668
    edited August 16

Let’s get married in China, then go on our honeymoon to China! 30 trips to China… weird
    edited August 16
    Josh Shapiro
    You know what? Go for it. Let’s see how it goes. 
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,214

it's on his right ear.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    Josh Shapiro
    teskeinc said:

Let’s get married in China, then go on our honeymoon to China! 30 trips to China… weird
    LOL now fox told you to attack the China visits and like a good lamb you do. Hilarious 

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,701
    Josh Shapiro
    First 30 days of VP.  Mandatory to have gender alteration surgeons in all public high school bathrooms.  Elementary school students are provided taxpayer-funded 5 year supply of narcan and participation trophies. The Pledge of Allegience is banned.  Each room that has the American flag is required to offer a trauma counselor and a have a Quran on-hand.   

it's on his right ear.
    Good one! 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,642
    MayDay10 said:
    First 30 days of VP.  Mandatory to have gender alteration surgeons in all public high school bathrooms.  Elementary school students are provided taxpayer-funded 5 year supply of narcan and participation trophies. The Pledge of Allegience is banned.  Each room that has the American flag is required to offer a trauma counselor and a have a Quran on-hand.   
    :dizzy:
    It's a hopeless situation...
    Josh Shapiro

LOL some of you got duped 

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,199
    edited August 17
    Tim Waltz
    teskeinc said:

Didn’t you attack another user on here for whatsboutism just recently?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,108
    Gretchen Whitmer
    teskeinc said:

“Rules for thee, not for me”
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    edited August 17
    teskeinc said:

“What about” my post is whatboutism? Walz is a nobody. Outside of Minnesota no one heard of him before a couple weeks ago.

Now that we did…

A guy who lied about his Military service for political gain. He used a rank he didn’t earn, left his battalion when he learned of an upcoming deployment to Iraq. Lied about a carrying weapon into an active war zone. We know it’s real because Kamala had to change his title on her websites profile. This led to a massive panic by left liberal media to explain and/or dispute these accusations. 

Tampon Tim - Lead to 4-5 pages of left liberals on a Pearl Jam forum defending him or debating on whether he’s responsible for putting feminine products in boys bathrooms. In the end, who cares but still weird. LGBQT love the name!

Tim loves Chi-na. He has been there over 30 times. Got married there on the anniversary of the Tiananmen Square massacre and subsequently decided to go on a honeymoon there. On record praising Chi-na and their leaders, loves their low crime rate there.

Praised and follows a radical Muslim cleric Imam Asad Zaman, who is an admitted Anti-Semite and posted pro-Hitler videos online. Walz claimed “I’m a teacher and I know great teachers”. Yeah, really great.

Arrested for DUI in 1995, Crazy series of events on how he circumvented it. Claimed hearing loss and balance issues resulted in a failure of sobriety test, even though his BAC was .12. 

In summary this guy is a net L for Democrats. He might secure Minnesota only but too much weird and controversial positions to appeal to independent voters. 

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/08/13/politics/asad-zaman-tim-walz-hamas

Post edited by teskeinc on
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,635
    teskeinc said:

Check out the Key West thread in AET.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,229
    edited August 17
    Flooding the zone with shit is, and always has been the strategy. 
    What a way to spend one’s time.
    edited August 17
    Flooding the zone with shit is, and always has been the strategy. 
    What a way to spend one’s time.
    When you can’t defend, just deny. Saves you time, and gives you the warm fuzzy feeling that justifies you’re right! Unreal! 
    Josh Shapiro
    Are you saying people can't go to China for any reason ever?