** KAMALA HARRIS FOR PRESIDENT -PART DEUX **

Comments

• Personally, I think you’ll see a shift after the first debate, and then barring no October surprise, that’s where it’s gonna be until Election Day. 
    Yeah it is the debate more so than the timing. It's the debate and the polling afterward that forced Joe's hand. Next week is fucking enormous. 
    i just hope she pushes back against him. he is going to try to attack, attack, attack and steamroll her on the border etc. she doesn't have to stuff him in a locker, but i just want her to fight back and show strength and leadership. biden couldn't do it due to the volume of whopper lies told. hopefully harris can.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,601
    Personally, I think you’ll see a shift after the first debate, and then barring no October surprise, that’s where it’s gonna be until Election Day. 
    Yeah it is the debate more so than the timing. It's the debate and the polling afterward that forced Joe's hand. Next week is fucking enormous. 
    i just hope she pushes back against him. he is going to try to attack, attack, attack and steamroll her on the border etc. she doesn't have to stuff him in a locker, but i just want her to fight back and show strength and leadership. biden couldn't do it due to the volume of whopper lies told. hopefully harris can.

trick will be to address just a handful of the lies and not get lost in trying rebut all of them while ALSO laying out her positions. ..

in a couple minutes.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,394
    I have confidence in her ability to do that Mick.....much more so than I had with Biden and Hillary. 

This will be Trump's toughest debater in his political career. 
    www.myspace.com
  • wonder if he is going to accuse her of supporting immediately after birth abortion, or whatever the fuck they are calling it.

I have confidence in her ability to do that Mick.....much more so than I had with Biden and Hillary. 

This will be Trump's toughest debater in his political career. 

my concern is she is 4 yrs removed from that prosecutor style she deftly used as senator and before as litigator. am sure is just refreshing that muscle memory. I'll be listening in as I drive for work.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

• curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,833
    Ah, now I see why this thread was quiet all weekend. 
    Huh.

@brianlux it's safe to come back! 

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,548
    She just needs to call the lies, lies and then provoke him by saying he’s weird for making stuff like that up. No need to rebut. All she needs to say it’s the medias responsibility to point out untruthfulness and publish the facts. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,555
    edited September 4
    Ah, now I see why this thread was quiet all weekend. 
    Huh.

@brianlux it's safe to come back! 

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up!  :smiley:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

What do you all think will happen next Tuesday?   Will the debate even happen?  I can't wait.  I think it's going to be KH for the KO!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

It will happen. 

Kamala will not argue her PoV well enough for some people, but generally be solid.
    Trump will ramble and get flustered. Tell lies that the mods won’t push back on. 
    she will be seen as the winner but not enough to really change much. 
    What do I want to happen? For her to curb stomp him (metaphorically) ending all these mealy minded “independent “ dweebs dancing around “well he makes good points” with Trump, realizing he’s flaccid as a candidate and essentially ending this campaign a month and half early so we can get on with our lives earlier. 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,107
    This point of view is bad, bad, bad and you can see it on Tapper's face

https://x.com/YALiberty/status/1831050781761683703
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,308
    pjl44 said:

I don't understand.  Who is she talking about, exactly?
  • It will happen. 

Kamala will not argue her PoV well enough for some people, but generally be solid.
    Trump will ramble and get flustered. Tell lies that the mods won’t push back on. 
    she will be seen as the winner but not enough to really change much. 
    the bar for trump is basically laying on the ground, so if he does anything of note, like answering a single question, it could be considered a win for him. i know the media is looking for ways to not necessarily boost him, but looking for ways to hurt her. they need a horserace.

edited September 4
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:

Twitter/X

And at the very beginning she's referring to Trump's account.
    Post edited by pjl44 on
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:

Twitter/X
    So that seems weird that she would be saying that about Twitter/X in 2019, when asked about whether Donald Trump should lose his Twitter account for threatening a witness (Colonel Vinman) and obstructing justice.  I guess next time I commit a crime on Twitter, I will be pleased that Donald Trump cleared the way for me to do so.  Until then, I'm not too concerned.  But it also appears you don't exactly know what that clip was about.  

HARRIS: -- that he has lost his privileges and it should be taken down. The bottom line is that you can't say that you have one rule for Facebook and you have a different rule for Twitter. The same rule has to apply, which is that there has to be a responsibility that is placed on these social media sites to understand their power. They are directly speaking to millions and millions of people without any level of oversight or regulation, and that has to stop.

TAPPER: He is the president of the United States, and I would -- you know, you might argue, first of all, he doesn't --

HARRIS: He does not have a right to commit a crime because he is president of the United States. He does not have the right to threaten witnesses and threaten their safety because he is president of the United States.

In fact, that's the very problem with Donald Trump. He thinks he's above the law, and we cannot keep reinforcing that. And anyone who wants to say, well, this is a matter of free speech, you are not free to threaten the life of a witness. That is a crime.
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:

Twitter/X
    So that seems weird that she would be saying that about Twitter/X in 2019, when asked about whether Donald Trump should lose his Twitter account for threatening a witness (Colonel Vinman) and obstructing justice.  I guess next time I commit a crime on Twitter, I will be pleased that Donald Trump cleared the way for me to do so.  Until then, I'm not too concerned.  But it also appears you don't exactly know what that clip was about.  

HARRIS: -- that he has lost his privileges and it should be taken down. The bottom line is that you can't say that you have one rule for Facebook and you have a different rule for Twitter. The same rule has to apply, which is that there has to be a responsibility that is placed on these social media sites to understand their power. They are directly speaking to millions and millions of people without any level of oversight or regulation, and that has to stop.

TAPPER: He is the president of the United States, and I would -- you know, you might argue, first of all, he doesn't --

HARRIS: He does not have a right to commit a crime because he is president of the United States. He does not have the right to threaten witnesses and threaten their safety because he is president of the United States.

In fact, that's the very problem with Donald Trump. He thinks he's above the law, and we cannot keep reinforcing that. And anyone who wants to say, well, this is a matter of free speech, you are not free to threaten the life of a witness. That is a crime.
    It's about the idea of there needing to be regulation of social media sites. If he commits a crime on one, charge him with a crime. It's not Twitter's fault.
    edited September 4
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:

Twitter/X

It's about the idea of there needing to be regulation of social media sites. If he commits a crime on one, charge him with a crime. It's not Twitter's fault.
    So if a person commits multiple crimes and in the process of committing crimes, it's more important that the social media retain a 1A right that doesn't exist in the actual world, rather than suspending an account?  It's suspending an account, and you are taking the side of the criminal.  Keep dying on that hill.  You know damn well the point you just pivoted to is not even close to being the point of the clip; that if you're committing a crime, it's not X's fault.  

You know the FCC has been regulating public speech for about 70 years, right?  
    "Can you believe the President engaged in witness tampering and obstruction of justice on social media?"

Wow no. But it sounds like you have all the evidence there in a public post?

"Regulate Twitter!"

What?
    It's exactly the point of the clip. It's surfacing again because of Pavel Durov's arrest, Reich's Guardian piece, etc.
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:

Twitter/X

So if a person commits multiple crimes and in the process of committing crimes, it's more important that the social media retain a 1A right that doesn't exist in the actual world, rather than suspending an account?  It's suspending an account, and you are taking the side of the criminal.  Keep dying on that hill.  You know damn well the point you just pivoted to is not even close to being the point of the clip; that if you're committing a crime, it's not X's fault.  

The FCC regulates public airwaves. Social media sites are private companies.
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:

Twitter/X

The FCC regulates public airwaves. Social media sites are private companies.
    That's because that's what the current law allows them to regulate.  From a principles standpoint, there is no difference.  When the FCC was formed, they had regulatory control on all public speech from private companies (NBC, CBS, ABC, etc).  The only difference is the current span of control under law.  That can always change.  There's zero actual difference between Twitter and NBC, from a speech standpoint.  If Conan went on teh street every Friday and a girl showed her boobs every week, NBC would be fined and eventually lose their broadcast license.  It wasn't their fault.  They didn't do anything wrong, just like Twitter didn't.  Pointing to THIS truncated clip and saying this is about censorship on X is absurd.  It's about DJT and the actual shit he was saying.  
    pjl44 said:
    It's exactly the point of the clip. It's surfacing again because of Pavel Durov's arrest, Reich's Guardian piece, etc.
    So Harris's comment about Trump, after a debate in 2019, means that she wants to arrest Musk.  GTFO with this nonsense.  
    He doesn't understand public airwaves
    Twitter is analogous to TBS or HBO, not CBS
    pjl44 said:
    Twitter is analogous to TBS or HBO, not CBS
    Certain types of speech are never protected, including obscene, threatening, or harassing speech.  The SCOTUS has already ruled that there are limits to speech.  So expanding the FCC's authority (or even the DOJ) to ensure that social media companies do not host criminal activity doesn't exactly run counter the Constitution. Nowhere did I say that the FCC has the current authority to regulate social media.  You should stop misreading and misunderstanding so easily.  And this is so far afield from Harris's 30 second discussion on the topic, based on a question from Tapper, that your post omitted the full context, deliberately. And for you to hyperventilate from that 2019 clip, as if that has some parlay into Durov's arrest, is silliness. 

How about Trump just stop breaking the law so often, like a fucking mob boss?  That seems to be an easier solution.  
    pjl44 said:
    This guy was arrested and he's being charged with money laundry is he not? So tell me what does that have to do with free speech.

What do I want to happen? For her to curb stomp him (metaphorically) ending all these mealy minded “independent “ dweebs dancing around “well he makes good points” with Trump, realizing he’s flaccid as a candidate and essentially ending this campaign a month and half early so we can get on with our lives earlier. 

I am SO looking forward to that. 
    As for independents saying, "well he makes some good points", and as for people still on the fence (what happened there?  20 pounds of super glue?), these are people with a serious inability to even approximate critical thinking.  And that's sad, really. 

mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    This guy was arrested and he's being charged with money laundry is he not? So tell me what does that have to do with free speech.

He is not, no