Anyone else not have that FOMO feeling anymore while this band is on the DM tour?

Comments

• BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,319
    the fire is dimming for everyone involved
    Speak for yourself. 
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • spankyMPspankyMP Posts: 1,747
    pdalowsky said:
    The post-COVID shows are pretty interchangeable.  There have been a few standouts, but we are talking 2-3 songs putting a show over another one.  I'm trying to hit new states and new countries, but starting probably in 2018, I don't get jealous about shows I don't go to.  Maybe an album show would be cool, but there is no FOMO (granted seeing 10 shows), but if I were seeing 2 I'd feel the same way.
    I did think, and I know it'll never happen, but imagine if they announced in advance with of a two night run would feature the full DM album and the other night be one for the back catalogue solely.....I wonder how that would have gone down. 

I would be in for hearing DM fully any day of the week but i wonder if by pre announcing it it might kill ticket sales because fans wouldnt be buying multiple dates in the hopes of finishing the record 
    I do find it disappointing that they cant seem to work in a PJ20 style 10C destination weekend even once every 3-4 years.  Doesn't seem like too much to ask for.  
    Ohana fest doesn't count?
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    what a whiny fan base this has become. 
  • spankyMPspankyMP Posts: 1,747
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Lots of good points all around here. I am only doing the makeup Indy show in August. I’ve had no FOMO. For me I think it’s been many things over the past few years. They do sound amazing (saw both St. Paul shows last tour and 30+ since 92). And I’m so thankful and happy they’re still going strong, we are lucky our favorite band is still doing it and putting out unbelievable music like Dark Matter. BUT…the negatives have kinda made my excitement just a little less. 

Ticket prices
    The whole merch thing
    Shorter shows
    The set lists (still great but chances of seeing our favorites, not even deep cuts, just great songs is so much less
    Cancellations (I realize there isn’t anything you can do about illness but it’s still a thing)

I still can’t wait for Indy but my expectations are not even close to the same as they were just a short time ago. 

Still the best band in the world!
    What's "[t]he whole merch thing"?
    It feels like it’s become a “brand” not in a good way ya know?  I don’t really have a great way to describe what I mean. Just feels like it’s become more about money and less about the quality of product?  I don’t know. It’s just turned me off the past few years. I know people love it but I don’t anymore. Probably just a me thing 🤷🏼‍♂️
    So just ignore it. I went to ten shows in May and didn't spend a single dollar on merch or spend a single minute in line for merch. Actually, that's not exactly true. Coming out of L.A. 2, I walked up the merch truck outside to look at the Deep Sea Diver shirts. They were 40 bucks and not that attractive. I passed.
    This. I was never a merch guy, maybe grabbed a t-shirt during a pee break if I ever took one and there was no line. Now I'm sort of a merch guy, but never a line guy. LA1 I was able to walk up and buy some shirts and a hoodie. I only buy posters on here after the fact, so if I miss out so be it.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,924
    I have lots of FOMO and can’t wait for September! 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,834
    bootleg said:
    The “merch thing” is completely optional for everyone though.  If there is a market for it then can’t really blame the band for putting it out there.  I guess unless you have some type of OCD where you’ve got to collect them all, but what are they supposed to do not offer it because some can’t control themselves?
    In Europe they have shirts, a soccer ball, sticker, token, pin, and maybe a license plate.  It isn’t Wrigley 2013 by any means.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    pjhawks said:
    nah, it's just getting used to the change.  I think most of us knew when they were playing 3 hour+ barn burners that it wouldn't last for ever (due to age), it just takes a little getting used to being scaled back a bit.

I think it's pretty cool they love their new album so much that they play the shit out of it.  I think the last time I saw them play that many songs off a new album was the Commodore warmup show in Vancouver in 2000 for Binaural.    I imagine in a few years, if they're doing non-album tours, that we'll get the deeper setlists again.   

It's a wonderful problem to have.  An amazing new album that begs to be played live, but at the same time they have a giant ass amazing catalog of hits, fan favourites, amazing bsides, covers, etc...   It took 3 to 3.5 hours to satiate my appetite and enthusiasm for Pearl Jam :)  There's just too much awesomeness, and it's hard to contain it :)
  • Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Posts: 1,062
    The whole point of ‘ignore it’ regarding merch is silly in this context.
    yes it’s easy to ignore if you don’t want it at a show, and I’m sure most people commenting about the merch that way are. But in this context it is commenting about people’s current feelings are FOMO with the band and observations regarding merch that maybe weren’t there years ago potentially contributing to that.

• HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,123
    I have so much fomo with the Philly shows. I had fomo with Barcelona too because of those great crowds. As the band gets older, the fomo goes higher because we’re not sure how much longer they’re going to do this. And if they do, how great the shows will still be. All of 2023 and LV1 2024 were fucking incredible. 
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,136
    pjhawks said:
    I think as long as the critiques are respectful it's valuable to hear things like "I'm buying fewer tickets because of X" or "I would buy more tickets if X" from your fan base.
  • JABKJABK Posts: 347
    Right now I have a FOMO in general. Been a fan since the beginning, seen them once in Prague 2018 (magical!) and now had Vienna and Berlin cancelled. If and when they come back to Europe in a couple of years I'm going to be paranoid that they'll probably cancel my show...
    edited July 10
    pjl44 said:
    pjhawks said:
    I think as long as the critiques are respectful it's valuable to hear things like "I'm buying fewer tickets because of X" or "I would buy more tickets if X" from your fan base.
    I think pricing issues are fair game.  But when I hear whining about the setlists  and show lengths that is where it's get me to say the fan base is whiny.   The idea they should play 'in the moonlight' or something like that for the  20 people in an 18,000 arena who want to hear it is silly.  I love this band and their music but let's be honest, the rarities are rare for a reason.
  • BigReddBigRedd Posts: 100
    pjhawks said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjhawks said:
    I think pricing issues are fair game.  But when I hear whining about the setlists  and show lengths that is where it's get me to say the fan base is whiny.   The idea they should play 'in the moonlight' or something like that for the  20 people in an 18,000 arena who want to hear it is silly.  I love this band and their music but let's be honest, the rarities are rare for a reason.
    You are completely missing the point of this thread and changing it something else. 

It is not about checking off some obscure songs. It's the fact something has changed for me with this band and I was curious if anyone else was experiencing it as well. Seems like some others agree. You don't it seems and that's great. To call us a whiny bunch is not called for at all. 

Also what is the reason songs like Fatal, Otherside, Hold On, Undone. Hard to Imagine, Parting Ways, Chloe/Crown, All or None, All those Yesterdays, Around the Bed, Force of Nature, Get Right, Of the Earth, No Way are rare? I am sure you will pick apart some of those as they are not for everyone but a lot of those are amazing songs that elevate sets. 
  • ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 654
    Something has changed.  For me, it's the pre-programmed portions of the set, with songs you know will be played in a sequence, accompanied by the same pre-programmed video.  It's also knowing the show will end with the same handful of songs every time.  The spontaneity and feeling anything could happen tonight are what I miss.  So, I don't have as much fear of missing out on what will be a show mostly similar to a show I already saw on this tour.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    edited July 10
    It is all ticketmaster's fault, the Green Disease has taken over, and every tour seems to be high anxiety moment after high anxiety moment.  

I gave up on merch after Wrigley let's play two shows....like being free of  chains.

They are old,most of us are old, way less energy than the 90's.  Internet has made 24 hour access too easy......less shows....less tickets.....prices making it hard for anyone middle class or below to afford one show much less two when you add parking, food, merch (if you do.it)

And I am sick of cell phones all lit up all the time recriding vs down and enjoying.  Let someone else record it it'll be on YouTube in 15 minutes, you won't miss anything but the show as you are too busy looking at a screen of.your phone
    Post edited by hrd2imgn on
  • motleygunnermotleygunner Posts: 186
    I am going the other way... Every concert I miss is one less opportunity I'll have to see them perform live and their days of date heavy tours across the country are clearly gone (I don't blame them at all for this). The thought of "I'll catch them next time" is not as reasonable of a stance to take at this stage of their careers as it was 10-15 years ago. I am kicking myself for not seeing them this tour when they were reasonably close by (LA and Vegas) but the cost of tickets and travel made it impossible. The setlist, etc. isn't a big deal to me. They played a couple of my least favorite songs last time I saw them live and I still loved every second of the show.

• BigReddBigRedd Posts: 100
    hrd2imgn said:
    It is all ticketmaster's fault
    The whole ticket bullshit with Premium tickets and TM running the 10C lotto with fan to fan included definitely takes the fun out of it. 

I think the poster above has it right for me. Same songs at the same spot are really taking some of the magic away. 

They can easily change this back next tour but if they keep going in this direction with more and more songs it is going to be easier to make the decision not to go to as many shows. 
    BigRedd said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjhawks said:
    You are completely missing the point of this thread and changing it something else. 

It is not about checking off some obscure songs. It's the fact something has changed for me with this band and I was curious if anyone else was experiencing it as well. Seems like some others agree. You don't it seems and that's great. To call us a whiny bunch is not called for at all. 

Also what is the reason songs like Fatal, Otherside, Hold On, Undone. Hard to Imagine, Parting Ways, Chloe/Crown, All or None, All those Yesterdays, Around the Bed, Force of Nature, Get Right, Of the Earth, No Way are rare? I am sure you will pick apart some of those as they are not for everyone but a lot of those are amazing songs that elevate sets. 
    those songs are rare because they have hundred and some songs and a new album to promote.  it's not 1998 where the catalog is limited.  the whiny over playing the hits is nauseating. nothing turns me off when a fan complains about the hits. it's entitled and snobby and no amount of bitching is going to stop the band from playing the hits.   Now do some setlists seem a bit more meh now than when they were doing 3.5 hour shows, sure but that doesn't affect the mood in the room at the moment.   What you are missing out if you don't go to shows is the 'moment'.  i don't worry about the setlists too much.  maybe i'm different but being in the same room with this band, playing music at such a high level is the most exciting events ill see this year (and i saw the stones, billy joel at msg and will see Bruce before PJ in the fall). And you will surely wish you held on to those moments when this band is done playing at such a high level or even done playing at all.  Cherish every damn moment you can with this band because what they do is rare and fantastic. so yea people complaining about set lists, not wanting to go to shows because they aren't playing Undone, seems a bit whiny to me.   just my $0.02.
  • faithful2youfaithful2you Posts: 779
    pjhawks said:
    ^  This is very far from being new. 

I have felt not had the FOMO (had to google it too) for almost 10 years.   I've felt like it went from being a band to a business not long after PJ20.   Still go to shows.  Still love the shows.  Still love the music.  Kind of tired of the same openers and same closers (Ledbetter still isn't boring for me, but that's the only one) which makes it hard to get excited.   Looking at the set lists for this and the last tour, there's only been a few I have thought I was missing out on.                    
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,488
    hrd2imgn said:
    It is all ticketmaster's fault, the Green Disease has taken over, and every tour seems to be high anxiety moment after high anxiety moment.  

I gave up on merch after Wrigley let's play two shows....like being free of  chains.

They are old,most of us are old, way less energy than the 90's.  Internet has made 24 hour access too easy......less shows....less tickets.....prices making it hard for anyone middle class or below to afford one show much less two when you add parking, food, merch (if you do.it)

And I am sick of cell phones all lit up all the time recriding vs down and enjoying.  Let someone else record it it'll be on YouTube in 15 minutes, you won't miss anything but the show as you are too busy looking at a screen of.your phone
    Thank you
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,488
    And I have fomo every show because I love seeing pj. Full stop
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • A Compliment For UsA Compliment For Us Posts: 205
    edited July 10
    hrd2imgn said:

Immediately thought of this poster.

Post edited by A Compliment For Us on
    Is a Compliment For You.
    1998 Va. Beach ~~ 2000 Va. Beach ~~ Columbia, Md. ~~ 2003 Bristow, Va. ~~ 2006 DC ~~ 2008 Va. Beach ~~ DC ~~ 
    2010 Bristow, Va. ~~ 2013 Charlottesville, Va. ~~ 2016 Hampton, Va. ~~ Fenway 1 & 2 ~~ Wrigley 1 & 2 ~~
    2022 Nashville ~~ St. Louis ~~ Oklahoma City ~~ 2023 St. Paul 1 & 2 ~~ Austin 1 & 2 ~~
    2024 Vegas 1 & 2 ~~ Indianapolis ~~ Wrigley 2 ~~ MSG 1 & 2 ~~ Philly 1 & 2 ~~ Fenway 1 & 2 ~~
  • YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 837
    And I have fomo every show because I love seeing pj. Full stop
    +1
    Soldier Field 7-11-95, Alpine Valley 6-26-98, United Center 6-29-98, Riverport Amphitheater (St. Louis)7-2-98, MGM Grand Arena 10-22-00, Sprint Center (Kansas City)5-3-10, Adams Event Center (Missoula)9-30-12, Wrigley Field 7-19-13, Jobing.com Arena (Phoenix)11-19-13, Moda Center (Portland)11-29-13, Spokane Arena 11-30-13, Pepsi Center (Denver)10-22-14, Gila River Arena (Phoenix)5-9-22, Moody Center (Austin)9-18-23, Moody Center 9-19-23, Rogers Arena (Vancouver)5-4-24, Rogers Arena 5-6-24, MGM Grand 5-16-24, MGM Grand 5-18-24, Wrigley Field 8-29-24, Wrigley Field 8-31-24
  • fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 756
    pjhawks said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjhawks said:
    No one is whining. It is a respectful discussion about individual feelings about the current state of the band and how it is affecting our personal fandom. The better question is why a segment of posters here are so fragile that they take others opinions of the band so personally. 
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23, 9/7/24, 9/9/24, 9/12/24, 9/15/24, 9/17/24
  • brewdog123brewdog123 Posts: 649
    pjhawks said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjhawks said:
    No one is whining. It is a respectful discussion about individual feelings about the current state of the band and how it is affecting our personal fandom. The better question is why a segment of posters here are so fragile that they take others opinions of the band so personally. 
    Atlanta, GA 8/7/00...Atlanta, GA 4/19/03...Columbia, SC 6/16/08...New Orleans, LA 5/1/10...East Troy, WI 9/3/11... East Troy, WI 9/4/11... Atlanta, GA 9/22/12...Greenville, SC 4/16/16...Nashville, TN 9/16/22
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,243
    pjhawks said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjhawks said:
    This!  I’m definitely not whining about any of it. I still love the band, LOVE the new album and can’t wait to go to my one show in Indy. Nothing wrong with expressing opinions about what has changed. By the way as far as “the hits” go…I mentioned earlier because of shows being shortened to 25 songs plus a new album there just isn’t much room for a lot of great songs. I’ve never cared if they play fucking Just a Girl or Dirty Frank or the stupid Whale Song. I’m talking about Grievance, WWS, Leash, Go, Faithfull, Insignificance, etc.  

As far as the merch goes somebody said IGNORE IT.  Yeah thanks I do ignore it. except in St Paul my son really wanted the hockey mask shirt. Lines were hours long.  And sometimes I’d like to get the poster from a show I attend and don’t wanna wait in those lines. It’s dumb. But whatever it is what it is. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    In hindsight, i'm not sure how much my feelings have actually changed.  I generally go to 2 or 3 shows every couple of years.   Mostly Vancouver/Seattle, with the odd trip sprinkled in. I found if I went to more than that I would start taking it for granted.   I seem to enjoy it more if I keep to that level.   I think that's still where I'm at.   Corduroy was always litmus test.  It's that song that I love, but if I go to too many shows I stop loving it :)

I'll keep doing what I'm doing.   The one thing I didn't expect to happen as I got older, is that it bothers me less that I'm actually get older. I look at myself in the mirror every day so I don't notice it as much.   It's everyone around me getting older that seems to hold weight with me.  I see it in the band too.  Which makes me a little sad, because the train won't go forever.    I'll keep doing my thing and going to a few shows every couple of years until I can't.    I absolutely don't look forward to the day when I'm into my own retirement, and all my favourite bands have ceased touring.  Wishing I could go to just one more show.  Maybe I should start eating bacon again to prevent this from being a problem :)

• RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,465
    My dads favorite band was Led Zeppelin. To the point where their picture hung in my living room my entire life.

When my dad was 24, he saw them for the last time, 1975, the year I was born.

I will NEVER take them for granted. We are very lucky.

I got to take dad to Phily in 2013 before he passed. Very lucky....im not crying your crying.
  • riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,132
    I always told my friends that they were a band that didn’t do the crappy platinum ticket scam, they didn’t rely on visual screens and sat 360, they played 30 + songs every show, and they completely mixed up set lists every show. 

Still really enjoy the music, but the live experience has diminished a bit since 2018. 
  • MJ178168MJ178168 Posts: 152
    pjhawks said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjhawks said:
    100% Agree!  I love coming to this forum to see the different opinions everyone has.  As long as the person is being respectful it is fair game.  Someone loves Sirens, that's fantastic!  Someone else hates that song and uses it as a bathroom break during a show, also great!  The fun is seeing how everyone has different opinions and how you personally might agree or disagree with them.  I don't understand the need to tell others they are being whiny or even to shut up when just expressing an opinion.  It's like having a discussion on the best ice cream flavor.  One person says vanilla.  Another says chocolate.  Another says mint chocolate chip.  Then Someone says shut up you should just be grateful you get ice cream at all.  What's the fun in that?