Anyone else not have that FOMO feeling anymore while this band is on the DM tour?

Comments

• 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,900
    No one knows how long we have left to enjoy the band. It’s honestly been a privilege to grow up (relatively speaking) alongside the band’s musical and touring career. Always took the band for granted and so magical moments weren’t chased just selfishly picked out the shows that were convenient to attend and more often than not magical moments happened. The magical moments now, speaking purely for my selfish self, is appreciating the energy and the looks between the band members during the live sets and the palatable energy shared amongst band and audience. All the memories made can’t be topped they can only be complemented. The band still loves creating and sharing their art with us and it’s a real thrill to be amongst the few that can say we experienced it in real time. My FOMO isn’t about a song it’s about the ultimate experience when we all of us in attendance walked out and collectively looked at each other to echo “what the fuck just happened?!”
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,424
    hrd2imgn said:
    It is all ticketmaster's fault, the Green Disease has taken over, and every tour seems to be high anxiety moment after high anxiety moment.  

I gave up on merch after Wrigley let's play two shows....like being free of  chains.

They are old,most of us are old, way less energy than the 90's.  Internet has made 24 hour access too easy......less shows....less tickets.....prices making it hard for anyone middle class or below to afford one show much less two when you add parking, food, merch (if you do.it)

And I am sick of cell phones all lit up all the time recriding vs down and enjoying.  Let someone else record it it'll be on YouTube in 15 minutes, you won't miss anything but the show as you are too busy looking at a screen of.your phone
    same...I won't wait in shitty lines any more. I have enough shirts and if I really see one I want I'll get it on ebay and pay a bit more.

Posters can be bought here...from artist...or ebay.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • spankyMPspankyMP Posts: 1,747
    riley540 said:
    I always told my friends that they were a band that didn’t do the crappy platinum ticket scam, they didn’t rely on visual screens and sat 360, they played 30 + songs every show, and they completely mixed up set lists every show. 

Still really enjoy the music, but the live experience has diminished a bit since 2018. 
    They spoiled us and we are spoiled. They are still one of the best live acts around and.....they are still around.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    RS65573 said:
    My dads favorite band was Led Zeppelin. To the point where their picture hung in my living room my entire life.

When my dad was 24, he saw them for the last time, 1975, the year I was born.

I will NEVER take them for granted. We are very lucky.

I got to take dad to Phily in 2013 before he passed. Very lucky....im not crying your crying.
    Yes im crying!  Your story is spot on and made me cry.  Plus Led Zeppelin is classic.  

I often cry listening to PJ music. It’s kind of melancholy for me.  The changes are understandable.  I’m just not sure enough realize the limits age puts on oneself.  That’s what’s sad….so much negative….not all, but imo a bit too much (be nice to your elders)
    I wish the 34 song, 3 + hour, 2 encore shows would go on forever but the fact that 60 year olds don’t feel 50 anymore is certainly many understand.  

What surprise's me is that so many of you were in your teens when you became fans.  

If there’s a heaven and we get to choose what we do, where we go, I’ll be at a Pj concert when all the guys get there.  
  • riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,132
    spankyMP said:
    riley540 said:
    I always told my friends that they were a band that didn’t do the crappy platinum ticket scam, they didn’t rely on visual screens and sat 360, they played 30 + songs every show, and they completely mixed up set lists every show. 

Still really enjoy the music, but the live experience has diminished a bit since 2018. 
    They spoiled us and we are spoiled. They are still one of the best live acts around and.....they are still around.
    For sure! They are still better than most acts playing today. I would even say that I don’t think they are overpriced. I think they were just underpriced for a long time 
  • fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 756
    MJ178168 said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjhawks said:
    what a whiny fan base this has become. 
    I think as long as the critiques are respectful it's valuable to hear things like "I'm buying fewer tickets because of X" or "I would buy more tickets if X" from your fan base.
    I think pricing issues are fair game.  But when I hear whining about the setlists  and show lengths that is where it's get me to say the fan base is whiny.   The idea they should play 'in the moonlight' or something like that for the  20 people in an 18,000 arena who want to hear it is silly.  I love this band and their music but let's be honest, the rarities are rare for a reason.
    No one is whining. It is a respectful discussion about individual feelings about the current state of the band and how it is affecting our personal fandom. The better question is why a segment of posters here are so fragile that they take others opinions of the band so personally. 
    100% Agree!  I love coming to this forum to see the different opinions everyone has.  As long as the person is being respectful it is fair game.  Someone loves Sirens, that's fantastic!  Someone else hates that song and uses it as a bathroom break during a show, also great!  The fun is seeing how everyone has different opinions and how you personally might agree or disagree with them.  I don't understand the need to tell others they are being whiny or even to shut up when just expressing an opinion.  It's like having a discussion on the best ice cream flavor.  One person says vanilla.  Another says chocolate.  Another says mint chocolate chip.  Then Someone says shut up you should just be grateful you get ice cream at all.  What's the fun in that?
    Yes! This is how I feel…
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23, 9/7/24, 9/9/24, 9/12/24, 9/15/24, 9/17/24
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    edited July 10
    And I think, for some, FOMO goes away with age, tragedy, simply living your life.  

totally screwed that one up 
    Post edited by cblock4life on
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,424
    spankyMP said:
    riley540 said:

yep...and who knows how long they will be around. Enjoy it while we can.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • bootlegbootleg Posts: 673
    Yeah less FOMO is probably actually just a function of getting older too.  Priorities shift, new interests develop.  I don’t do any of the things that I used to do as often as I used to and I’m not exactly happy about either.  So this is what it’s like to be an adult? If I only knew now what I knew then.
  • deb1211deb1211 Posts: 1,463
    edited July 10
    I have massive FOMO. I saw PJ in 90s and then not again for many many years and started up once my kids got older. now I want to see as many shows as I possibly can. I know it could all be gone in a blink and I can't get enough. I love their energy and their passion..PJ shows are my true happy place where all feels right in my world.
    Post edited by deb1211 on
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,899
    Looking at the set lists for this and the last tour, there's only been a few I have thought I was missing out on.                    
    Which ones?
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,520
    pjhawks said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjhawks said:
    I think as long as the critiques are respectful it's valuable to hear things like "I'm buying fewer tickets because of X" or "I would buy more tickets if X" from your fan base.
    I think pricing issues are fair game.  But when I hear whining about the setlists  and show lengths that is where it's get me to say the fan base is whiny.   The idea they should play 'in the moonlight' or something like that for the  20 people in an 18,000 arena who want to hear it is silly.  I love this band and their music but let's be honest, the rarities are rare for a reason.
    No one is whining. It is a respectful discussion about individual feelings about the current state of the band and how it is affecting our personal fandom. The better question is why a segment of posters here are so fragile that they take others opinions of the band so personally. 

Sure I have FOMO because they are a great band that delivers a high energy shows with a deep catalogue 

But, here’s the whine :) They haven’t played too many shows over the past 12 years, especially in the east. This has exacerbated their legacy ticket policy. With fewer shows in the east, more fans with good numbers are coming to the very few shows there have been in the east and crowding out fans. Their apparent winner take all lottery format this year seems to have rewarded those with good draws with multiple shows in the east, leaving more fans on the outside looking in.

They have made getting tickets very difficult to get here, it detracts from the overall tour experience. International fans and those out west do not have similar ticket challenges. A lot of fans here will hop on a jet and schedule their vacations around PJ and will chase the sun around the globe to see them. I think that is phenomenal, but it’s not for everyone.They are still a great live band, but it is these ticketing and touring decisions that have led to the premium prices one sub group of fans must swallow while others don’t. Still FOMO.
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,319
    The whole point of ‘ignore it’ regarding merch is silly in this context.
    yes it’s easy to ignore if you don’t want it at a show, and I’m sure most people commenting about the merch that way are. But in this context it is commenting about people’s current feelings are FOMO with the band and observations regarding merch that maybe weren’t there years ago potentially contributing to that.

I don't understand-- you're saying people are afraid of missing out on merch?

Has anyone ever valued their experience of a show more or less because of the merch that they did or did not buy at it? I doubt it-- and if there's someone out there who has had this experience, I think they're doing it wrong.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
    pjhawks said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjhawks said:
    Why do people always go reductio ad absurdum when making this point? Maybe I'd like to see less "Even Flow" and more "Ghost" or "Marker in the Sand" or "Quick Escape" or "Tremor Christ" or "Brain of J." or "Deep" or "Rats" as opposed to "In the Moonlight" or "Stupid Mop" (a really silly example someone else offered).
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,763
    deb1211 said:
    I have massive FOMO. I saw PJ in 90s and then not again for many many years and started up once my kids got older. now I want to see as many shows as I possibly can. I know it could all be gone in a blink and I can't get enough. I love their energy and their passion..PJ shows are my true happy place where all feels right in my world.

If they are playing within 100 miles there is no place on earth I would rather be. I just do not have FOMO if I cannot make one of the shows. I have been seeing this band play for close to 30 years and have been both blessed and spoiled rotten.  I like when they tour a new record because it is great to see them play new songs. With the new format I do not feel the urge to see multiple shows like I used to. Plus I am old now and one or two shows with suit me just fine.
    Here's a generalization, so it will not apply to everyone, but it definitely applies to some people:

Maybe it's not the band that has changed. Maybe it's you. You are not the same person you were in 1992 or 2002, and this changes how you respond to things in 2024. You don't give the same attention to music in 2024 that you did in 1992, perhaps because you have kids to worry about now, perhaps because you have job responsibilities that you didn't have then, perhaps because your partner's not as into Pearl Jam as you and you choose to spend your free time doing things you can enjoy together, perhaps because you spend an inordinate number of your waking hours staring at and scrolling through endless content on your phone that didn't exist in 1992, perhaps because you stream music now instead of buying it and you feel less invested in it and thus quickly move on from something when it doesn't quite grab you right away, perhaps because you're a typical person that just loses interest in new music as they age, perhaps because you don't have the same physical stamina you used to have, etc., etc.

None of these are intended as value judgments but, if you're finding that things are just not resonating with you like they used to and you wish it were different, maybe there are things you can do to be more proactive to create the space in your life to enjoy music like you used to.
  • BigReddBigRedd Posts: 100
    BF25394 said:
    Here's a generalization, so it will not apply to everyone, but it definitely applies to some people:

Maybe it's not the band that has changed. Maybe it's you. You are not the same person you were in 1992 or 2002, and this changes how you respond to things in 2024. You don't give the same attention to music in 2024 that you did in 1992, perhaps because you have kids to worry about now, perhaps because you have job responsibilities that you didn't have then, perhaps because your partner's not as into Pearl Jam as you and you choose to spend your free time doing things you can enjoy together, perhaps because you spend an inordinate number of your waking hours staring at and scrolling through endless content on your phone that didn't exist in 1992, perhaps because you stream music now instead of buying it and you feel less invested in it and thus quickly move on from something when it doesn't quite grab you right away, perhaps because you're a typical person that just loses interest in new music as they age, perhaps because you don't have the same physical stamina you used to have, etc., etc.

None of these are intended as value judgments but, if you're finding that things are just not resonating with you like they used to and you wish it were different, maybe there are things you can do to be more proactive to create the space in your life to enjoy music like you used to.
    I disagree. It is definitely the band for me the more and more I think about this.

I actually want to have FOMO but I do not have it at all and it all has to do with the repetitive sets I think. I have followed the band for 20 plus years live. I have seen tours of a lot worse albums than Dark Matter and still this tour has too much of the same to warrant seeing as many shows as I want to actually go and see. I am actually cancelling Australia now which used to be a white whale for me to see them there.

Hopefully they get that magic back but if this is what the sets are going to look like going forward I am going to have an amazing time still just going to go to a heck of a lot less shows. I know a lot of people on the tour that felt the same as me and are canceling plans as well. No one of my close friends is looking to add shows and most are taking away. They loved the shows they went to they just don't see the need to see more. 
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,763
    It is both me and the band. We have grown old together. They are still fantastic live. They set a high bar that is tough to live up to after 30+ years.
  • smile6680smile6680 Posts: 378
    D-Day said:
    💡? How many SUVs are on the parking lots around us arena shows?

edit: and how many scrap cars?

XX%
    I met a New Hampshire couple waiting in Barcelona who loved SAAB and had owned several.

So I think there is hope for the US.
    They were super popular in Southern Maine 20 or so years ago. 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,136
    It's me in the sense that I will give you another $175 for 25 different songs
    pjhawks said:
    Just become? 
    I'm only worried about missing  out on a future Hartford or a shed show with ample tailgating. 
  • rummyrummy Posts: 4,436
    deb1211 said:
    I’m pretty much in the same position. Saw them in ‘98 for the first time and not again until 2011. Money was tight in the 2000s and, I will confess, my interest in the band (and concerts in general) wasn’t as high. I’ve seen them nine time since 2011 and feel pretty good about it. However, I’ll always want to see more. The “song hunter” in me creates a bit of a problem.
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,862
    I don’t have FOMO about coming on this message board. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,885
    edited July 11
    I had it after I saw the 2 shows in Vancouver. I struggled hard to resist going to Seattle for those 2 shows. I was so close to going even though I couldn't responsibly afford it. My will power won, but I was definitely experiencing a bad case of FOMO for a bit there.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,465
    deb1211 said:
    Well said. 
  • drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,278
    Everyone is different but for me personally I want to see them as much as I can. In the U.K. we had a huge gap from 2000 to 2006 (tricky for me to see them before then as a teenager /uni student). Saw them quite a bit from 2006 to 2010 but then was tricky as I had 3 young children. Now my children are a bit older I’m trying to see as many shows as possible. 
  • DEGBTIDEGBTI Posts: 964
    did the fomo meter move up or down today after the show?
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,412
    DEGBTI said:
    did the fomo meter move up or down today after the show?
    Definitely down.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,465
    Upper Hand though...

Someone please make a Fomo Meter we can vote on. BRILLIANT!