Anyone else not have that FOMO feeling anymore while this band is on the DM tour?

Comments

• TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,381
    Honestly, no. Maybe I'm getting old. Having traveled a lot for this band, I'm pretty good with missing out with ticket prices where they are, stings of cancellations, and post-covid travel complexities. If they choose to play close to me, which isn't a huge possibility, then I'll hit the show. For now, I can purchase the entire tour and listen to it when I want to. 

I still love this band and I hate that this is where I'm at, but I'm not losing any sleep over it.
  • JE224127JE224127 Posts: 443
    I'll always have a little bit of FOMO as I follow the setlist from each show. Indy was a bit of a turning point for me last year. Me and two friends flew up from LA (lower Alabama) we did Pumpkins the night before and TopGolf the morning before the show was supposed to happen but it still sucked pretty bad when the show cancelled. In 2022, I took my son to his first show in Nashville and again last year to Fort Worth. So my priorities have shifted a bit from chasing shows to planning shows with my son and have him chase songs he wants to hear. We are doing Baltimore this year so PJ/Bruce/Weezer back to back so if something happens we have plans to fall back on. I have been to 16 shows and have been blessed to see that many. I will never take a tour year off but will scale back the number of shows I try to attend.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    This was the first year I skipped large Seattle shows since 1998 (I didn't go the first Memorial Stadium show, the 2nd one was my first PJ show in Seattle).    There were two shows in Vancouver. Unlike previous years the Seattle shows were an the opposite end of the leg of the tour, and in the middle of the week.  The costs of going to Vancouver, coming back, then taking a week off to go to Seattle, and more costs, didn't really work out.

I had a little Fomo going, but in the end the only thing I felt I missed out on was the cover of Hurt.

At this point I think I'm 31 shows in.  Not nearly as many as people on this board, but I feel it's a lot.   I've had the fortune of hearing a lot of deep cuts and rarities. Aside from unexpected covers, the odds of me getting a deep bside or rare cut I haven't gotten before seem slim to none.

They sound great on this tour, but with so many new songs, playing a handful of hits/staples, and shorter sets... there's not much time left go that deep in the catalog. I feel like I'm on a hangover from the 2013-2018 shows.    3 hour+ barn burners where I knocked off an insane amount of white whales.

I don't regret not going to Seattle this time around.  The two shows in Vancouver satiated my PJ appetite for this year. I got to hear all of the new album except 1 song.  It was great.    Maybe it's the fact I got two in Vancouver, and not 1, that reduced my fomo of not going to Seattle.  I really only need 2 (maybe 3) shows every couple of years and I'm good.    Anymore than that and I feel I start taking it for granted (get bored of hearing some of the heavily repeated songs).

I do think some it has to do with promoting a new album.   I got to hear most of the songs twice.   If it's a bit until the next album, and they do some non-album tours again, they'd be able to flesh out the catalog more.   There's things I love about album tours, and there's things I love when they tour without a new album. I probably get fomo more in the latter because the setlists get the chance to go deeper into the catalog.

Of course had they played Who You Are in Seattle, my FOMO would of been off the charts :)
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,076
    GW2553 said:
    It's the baseball stadiums for me.  Absolutely zero FOMO when it comes to those shows.  Nope not traveling to a baseball stadium and that goes for any artist not just PJ.

Hear hear! I did the first Wrigley, 16/18 Fenway and then 18 Safeco, 18 Missoula.  I got em all.  I am passing up on Fenway this year.
  • DEGBTIDEGBTI Posts: 964
    had FOMO at the beginning off the tour. Now not paying as close attention as in the past. It's 100% the set list for me. I know I know, we are lucky they still play and all that, and I agree. I just feel the set list are safe. Now everyone is looking for one or two rarity's and getting all stoked about it and saying wow, awesome set list tonight! 80% is predictable, 15 % is a group of semi rare and maybe one rare, maybe. I get the whole age thing too. The last time I was at a show with a crazy set list was the 2018 Home Shows. Look those shows up and compare. huge difference, to me anyway. But, because of the love I have for them, of course Ill see a couple more shows this tour haha.
  • bootlegbootleg Posts: 673
    I think the setlists being a little too formulaic is probably the main culprit.  Every show seems to be a small variant of the same show so if you went to one you feel like you pretty much caught a similar experience as every other show.  There’s yet to be that one show that stands out far above the others.  And if you are in a 2 show city, night 2 becomes even more predictable.  Didn’t hear Black, Courduroy, Small Town, RITFW on night 1? Well you know what’s taking up a few slots in night 2.  Then with DM taking up 7-8 spots in the same order, and Alive, Evenflow, and DTE played almost every show you pretty much know the whole set by night 2.  The PJ magic was always that you never knew what you were going to get night after night.  They’ve strayed a little too far from that magic.  Should still play 6-7 DM songs but should be mixing them up better.
  • coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,459
    I was kind of thinking this just the past weekend while I was comparing some of the YouTube live songs from Minneapolis and Chicago from 2023 and then watched some of Barcelona and Seattle songs from 2024. Something seemed a little off for this year. Could not put my finger on it. They still sound great and I LOVE the new album, but they seemed to have more energy last year. The setlists for both 2023 and 2024 are around 25 songs a night so it wasn't the band is more tired this year. Just seems like something is a little off. Maybe I need to stop sniffing glue. 

Still looking forward to both Wrigley shows! Maybe I'll quit amphetamines that week as well.  
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    Will always be my favorite band but zero fomo these days.  I had a nice run of sixty plus shows but the days of traveling for them are over.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • smile6680smile6680 Posts: 378
    GW2553 said:
    It's the baseball stadiums for me.  Absolutely zero FOMO when it comes to those shows.  Nope not traveling to a baseball stadium and that goes for any artist not just PJ.

+1
  • The_Giant_MidgetThe_Giant_Midget Los Angeles Posts: 572
    It’ll come down to MSG and the baseball stadium
    shows for me. If they are north of 25 songs and they really change it up then we’ll know they’re still capable of epic nights. If they don’t, then the best case scenario going forward for us is like Vegas 1 or those ‘23 sets.
    Beacon '08
    Philly 2-4 '09
    Newark '10
    MSG 1+2 '10
    E.V. Beacon 1+2 '11
    Made in America Festival '12
    Worcester 1+2 '13
    Brooklyn 1+2 '13
    Global Citizens Festival '15
    MSG 1+2 '16
    Fenway Park 1+2 '16
    Ohana '17
    Home Shows 1+2 '18
    Ohana '18
    Ohana '19
    Sea Hear Now '21
    Ohana '21
    LA 1+2 '22
    Austin 1+2 '23
    Ohana '23
    Vegas 1+2 '24
    LA 1+2 '24
    MSG 1+2 '24
  • BC62528BC62528 Posts: 210
    Biggest Factor - The Business Side of the Band.  Ticket Prices and the Ticket Process have taken a bit of the wind out of my "obsession sails" - the lack luster posters and money grab merchandizing/insane lines hasn't helped either.  However, I know once I catch the NYC and Boston shows I will be wanting more - it happens every tour - it's a drug and I'm addicted.  I'm still here for the music and live performances - which I think is still stellar - just give me a few more songs on each setlist boys...
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,830
    All things considered, I'm betting once they're done touring the hell out of Dark Matter we'll see them fall back into the less-predictable setlists like they had in 2022/2023 with a few DM songs sticking around.
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Posts: 3,020
    No FOMO whatsoever for me. It's completely unnecessary, IMO, to see multiple shows at this point. Just to chase a song or two? I've seen every song by them that I want to (outside of DM stuff).  I always thought going to multiple shows to just chase 1-2 songs was pretty silly anyhow.  

To me, it's now a night out with my wife or friends listening to the band we love. Have some pre-show drinks. Catch up with some friends I haven't seen in awhile. Fenway is not my ideal place to see them, but happy to have a chance to see them at least once. Looking forward to that Sunday show and hoping for good weather. Have tickets for Tuesday but still undecided on that. 
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,889
    It’ll come down to MSG and the baseball stadium
    shows for me. If they are north of 25 songs and they really change it up then we’ll know they’re still capable of epic nights. If they don’t, then the best case scenario going forward for us is like Vegas 1 or those ‘23 sets.
    I'd be surprised if they play longer at MSG or the ballparks. If anything, the fact that MSG is back to back nights is a reason not to play more songs. 
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,319
    I spent the entire month of May attending ten shows in six cities in two countries (literally by boat, plane and car). It was as exciting and satisfying and life-affirming a run of shows as I've ever experienced. (And Deep Sea Diver was a totaIly unexpected treat that made it even better.) I am sorry it's over, and I'm really glad I did it. I don't have fear of missing out on the shows to come in Europe and in the east, but I would have definitely missed out if I had not gone to the shows I did.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,724
    BF25394 said:
    I spent the entire month of May attending ten shows in six cities in two countries (literally by boat, plane and car). It was as exciting and satisfying and life-affirming a run of shows as I've ever experienced. (And Deep Sea Diver was a totaIly unexpected treat that made it even better.) I am sorry it's over, and I'm really glad I did it. I don't have fear of missing out on the shows to come in Europe and in the east, but I would have definitely missed out if I had not gone to the shows I did.
    What would you have missed out on seeing if you hadn't seen 10 shows? Say 8 or 9? If you saw that many why don't you think you'll miss out on anything this fall? 
  • URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,761
    ^This is why I don’t get it when people complain about them playing too much of the new stuff, even if/when they’re predictably repeated, if you don't see it LIVE when they're touring FOR the album, you might not ever.
    edited July 10
    BF25394 said:
    What would you have missed out on seeing if you hadn't seen 10 shows? Say 8 or 9? If you saw that many why don't you think you'll miss out on anything this fall? 
    I saw 98 different songs across ten shows, including every song from Dark Matter. My primary motivation for blanketing the shows was to see all of Dark Matter, and that was accomplished. But more to the point, I live in Los Angeles, and traveling to cities in the west in May was a much better proposition from a cost and inconvenience standpoint than it would be traveling to shows in the east, all of which would require flights and overnight stays, even in the places like New York and Boston where I wouldn't need to pay for lodging. In the west, the only place I had to pay for lodging was Seattle, and I was able to do Portland and Sacramento (and, obviously, L.A., as less-than-24-hour trips). Anything that I miss out on in the fall would exact a much greater price to not miss out on it, and it would be diminishing returns after seeing the spring shows. Having said that, I have no doubt that, if circumstances ended up where I got to go a show or shows in the fall, it would be awesome and I would love it.

And, having said all that, I expect to see them twice in the fall at Ohana.
    Post edited by BF25394 on
  • Hankj25Hankj25 Posts: 315
    Saw 2 shows this tour, and turned down a 3rd that would have required me to take a red eye to get to Noblesville, even though the ticket was free.

The setlists are what they are.  They invested in the screen, the people, the design, and this is apparently the result.  The band sounded great both shows, Ed sounded really damn good too.  I had a blast.  But I don’t need to drag myself through hell to get to a third version of essentially the same show.  

That being said, if they were to revert back to 2023 setlists next year, I’d pile more on my plate for that variety.  
    Seattle 8-8-18
    Chicago 8-18-18
    Chicago 8-20-18
    St. Louis 4-4-20
    Denver 4-9-20

Denver 9-22-22
    Noblesville 9-10-23
    Vancouver 5-6-24
    Seattle 5-30-24

EV
    Chicago 2-9-22
    Tempe 2-26-23
  • LCLC Posts: 278
    I honestly think the first 5 songs of the show are key to the vibe and excitement of the entire setlist  I'd love to see them return to simply varying the start of the show each night...slow/fast, new/old etc.  In 2000, that Katowice show was an awesome surprise because they threw a quiet and slow start in out of nowhere.  For the last 6-8 years, they start quiet almost every show.
    8-29-00 Mansfield, 6-29-03 Montreal, 7-2-03 Mansfield, 7-3-03 Mansfield, 7-11-03, Mansfield, 9-28-04 Boston, 9-29-04 Boston, 10-8-04 Kissimmee, 9-15-05 Montreal, 9-16-05 Ottawa, 5-12-06 Albany, 5-13-06 Hartford, 5-24-06 Boston, 5-25-06 Boston, 6-28-08, Mansfield, 6-30-08 Mansfield, 5-15-10 Hartford, 5-17-10 Boston, 7-19-13 Chicago, 10-15-13 Worcester, 5-2-16 New York City, 8-5-16 Boston, 8-7-16 Boston
    EV- 2008, 2011 Boston
  • bootlegbootleg Posts: 673
    I wonder if Indianapolis has a chance to be the one since it’s technically a postponed 2023 show or do they just continue on with the same format?  Also wonder if the illnesses affected any experimentation in Europe?  Thinking if they had the time they might have worked out a few more rare ones but maybe had to fall back to songs they’ve played more often. 
  • pjcampjcam Posts: 63
    I was really satisfied with both nights in Vancouver. Got every song off Dark Matter but one and they mixed some rarities in the sets. 

Can’t wait for Missoula and hopefully they play Waiting For Stevie. 
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,243
    Lots of good points all around here. I am only doing the makeup Indy show in August. I’ve had no FOMO. For me I think it’s been many things over the past few years. They do sound amazing (saw both St. Paul shows last tour and 30+ since 92). And I’m so thankful and happy they’re still going strong, we are lucky our favorite band is still doing it and putting out unbelievable music like Dark Matter. BUT…the negatives have kinda made my excitement just a little less. 

Ticket prices
    The whole merch thing
    Shorter shows
    The set lists (still great but chances of seeing our favorites, not even deep cuts, just great songs is so much less
    Cancellations (I realize there isn’t anything you can do about illness but it’s still a thing)

I still can’t wait for Indy but my expectations are not even close to the same as they were just a short time ago. 

Still the best band in the world!
    Lots of good points all around here. I am only doing the makeup Indy show in August. I’ve had no FOMO. For me I think it’s been many things over the past few years. They do sound amazing (saw both St. Paul shows last tour and 30+ since 92). And I’m so thankful and happy they’re still going strong, we are lucky our favorite band is still doing it and putting out unbelievable music like Dark Matter. BUT…the negatives have kinda made my excitement just a little less. 

Ticket prices
    The whole merch thing
    Shorter shows
    The set lists (still great but chances of seeing our favorites, not even deep cuts, just great songs is so much less
    Cancellations (I realize there isn’t anything you can do about illness but it’s still a thing)

I still can’t wait for Indy but my expectations are not even close to the same as they were just a short time ago. 

What's "[t]he whole merch thing"?
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,243
    BF25394 said:

Ticket prices
    The whole merch thing
    Shorter shows

It feels like it’s become a “brand” not in a good way ya know?  I don’t really have a great way to describe what I mean. Just feels like it’s become more about money and less about the quality of product?  I don’t know. It’s just turned me off the past few years. I know people love it but I don’t anymore. Probably just a me thing 🤷🏼‍♂️
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,487
    BF25394 said:

Ticket prices
    The whole merch thing
    Shorter shows

It feels like it’s become a “brand” not in a good way ya know?  I don’t really have a great way to describe what I mean. Just feels like it’s become more about money and less about the quality of product?  I don’t know. It’s just turned me off the past few years. I know people love it but I don’t anymore. Probably just a me thing 🤷🏼‍♂️
    I think you have a valid point.  
    Merch has gone too far. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • I’d say I actually have worse than ever. My one shoe got cancelled and they’re not getting any younger. Every setlist/clip I see gets me excited but is tinged with sadness.
  • D-DayD-Day Far From Home Posts: 317
    edited July 10
    BF25394 said:

Ticket prices
    The whole merch thing
    Shorter shows

I think you have a valid point.  
    Merch has gone too far. 

That „brand“ thing is exactly what I‘ve thought with my first views on board here.
    Merch more interesting than a lot on board.
    Strange stuff and processes around merch stalls.
    Company and customers involved.
    From what I’ve seen: PJ even a worldwide brand in music world / music biz. ?!?

€€$$££ Fees for nothing on top of the ticket prices - I paid £160 total: 135,-PJ-ENTRY plus £ 22,xx (TM fees for nothing) plus £2,xx handling fees.
    that £22,xx for nothing is … bad business behavior for sure.

Then different views on the PJ-US-Showbiz scene - arenas / prices / fans paying $$$ for… very few fans are alarmed - a lot of LEMMINGs (and/or a basically rich - wealthy US-fan base there) 
    even Hollywoodlandish and NYbusiness like.
    a PJ gig is a event there.

Post edited by D-Day on
    👆🏿view from far away on the scenery ;)
    edited July 10
    💡? How many SUVs are on the parking lots around us arena shows?

edit: and how many scrap cars?

XX%
    Post edited by D-Day on