Anyone else not have that FOMO feeling anymore while this band is on the DM tour?

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,080
    D-Day said:
    💡? How many SUVs are on the parking lots around us arena shows?

edit: and how many scrap cars?

XX%
    I met a New Hampshire couple waiting in Barcelona who loved SAAB and had owned several.

So I think there is hope for the US.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • HK103094HK103094 Posts: 34
    edited July 10
    It feels like they have become victim of their past greatness.

People became used to epic 3 hours show, where you did not have a clue about what songs you would hear on each concert. Many, like me, was addicted to following the set list treads. When you become a more "normal" act with more "normal" set lists, many that have been serious addicted to the surpirse element will definetly lose the FOMO element.

Taking into account the ridicolous high prices (at least here in Europe), you sell an inferiour product (compared to the past) to a higher price, no wonder this has a huge effect on the interest.

The huge "pop-mart" screen is also far from what their concept has been in the past. 

It is still the greatest live band on earth, but wow, their business plan for this European tour was truly a disaster.
    Post edited by HK103094 on
    2000 Oslo
    2007 Venezia
    2010 London
    2012 Oslo
    2014 Milano
    2018 Milano
    2018 Krakow
    2019 Barolo (Ed)
    2022 Berlin
    2022 Frankfurt
    2022 Krakow
    2024 London

• JT167846JT167846 Posts: 896
    I've seen them nine times, but always have FOMO as being from NZ you hardly get anything. Having seen them more times than they've played in my country is a blessing.

I guess we did get used to the 30 plus song sets. They were an exception rather than the rule which our greedy arses wished was not true. First time I saw them in Wellington was 23 I think. I've had up to 34 I think but reckon 25 now is good and solid.

Anyone else want them to do a Metallica like two gig stint in a city with 25 songs and no repeats? That'd mean increased demand for the second gigs.

Ed sounds awesome on the new album especially the highs and from what I've read he sounds great on this tour. Sounds like he's singing highs slightly different on DM and I'd love to hear him sing In Hiding to hear any differences.

I thought the FOMO of them being late in their career would be enough to offset the loss of FOMO due to the shorter and less varied sets. But hey we're all different and have all had different exposure to live PJ so views on here that surprise us shouldn't be so few and far between. 
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Posts: 1,062
    BF25394 said:
    Lots of good points all around here. I am only doing the makeup Indy show in August. I’ve had no FOMO. For me I think it’s been many things over the past few years. They do sound amazing (saw both St. Paul shows last tour and 30+ since 92). And I’m so thankful and happy they’re still going strong, we are lucky our favorite band is still doing it and putting out unbelievable music like Dark Matter. BUT…the negatives have kinda made my excitement just a little less. 

Ticket prices
    The whole merch thing
    Shorter shows
    The set lists (still great but chances of seeing our favorites, not even deep cuts, just great songs is so much less
    Cancellations (I realize there isn’t anything you can do about illness but it’s still a thing)

I still can’t wait for Indy but my expectations are not even close to the same as they were just a short time ago. 

Still the best band in the world!
    What's "[t]he whole merch thing"?
    It feels like it’s become a “brand” not in a good way ya know?  I don’t really have a great way to describe what I mean. Just feels like it’s become more about money and less about the quality of product?  I don’t know. It’s just turned me off the past few years. I know people love it but I don’t anymore. Probably just a me thing 🤷🏼‍♂️
    I think you have a valid point.  
    Merch has gone too far. 
    Whilst I love the idea of a unique poster for each show and I always get the ones from the shows I am at....I still find the merch situation crazy.  People buying posters for shows they didnt go to,  queuing for  hours (I dont think I've ever queued for more than 10mins to be honest) and the random stuff (dice, cards etc) if stuff that I just dont understand.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,834
    edited July 10
    The post-COVID shows are pretty interchangeable.  There have been a few standouts, but we are talking 2-3 songs putting a show over another one.  I'm trying to hit new states and new countries, but starting probably in 2018, I don't get jealous about shows I don't go to.  Maybe an album show would be cool, but there is no FOMO (granted seeing 10 shows), but if I were seeing 2 I'd feel the same way.
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,043
    I was kind of thinking this just the past weekend while I was comparing some of the YouTube live songs from Minneapolis and Chicago from 2023 and then watched some of Barcelona and Seattle songs from 2024. Something seemed a little off for this year. Could not put my finger on it. They still sound great and I LOVE the new album, but they seemed to have more energy last year. The setlists for both 2023 and 2024 are around 25 songs a night so it wasn't the band is more tired this year. Just seems like something is a little off. Maybe I need to stop sniffing glue. 

Still looking forward to both Wrigley shows! Maybe I'll quit amphetamines that week as well.  
    This stood out as i noticed from the shows this year that I have never seen them more energised and passionate as they are on this tour. They seem to love playing the new stuff and have buzz about them on stage
    The post-COVID shows are pretty interchangeable.  There have been a few standouts, but we are talking 2-3 songs putting a show over another one.  I'm trying to hit new states and new countries, but starting probably in 2018, I don't get jealous about shows I don't go to.  Maybe an album show would be cool, but there is no FOMO (granted seeing 10 shows), but if I were seeing 2 I'd feel the same way.
    I did think, and I know it'll never happen, but imagine if they announced in advance with of a two night run would feature the full DM album and the other night be one for the back catalogue solely.....I wonder how that would have gone down. 

I would be in for hearing DM fully any day of the week but i wonder if by pre announcing it it might kill ticket sales because fans wouldnt be buying multiple dates in the hopes of finishing the record 
  • rangers72rangers72 Posts: 169
    BF25394 said:
    Lots of good points all around here. I am only doing the makeup Indy show in August. I’ve had no FOMO. For me I think it’s been many things over the past few years. They do sound amazing (saw both St. Paul shows last tour and 30+ since 92). And I’m so thankful and happy they’re still going strong, we are lucky our favorite band is still doing it and putting out unbelievable music like Dark Matter. BUT…the negatives have kinda made my excitement just a little less. 

Ticket prices
    The whole merch thing
    Shorter shows
    The set lists (still great but chances of seeing our favorites, not even deep cuts, just great songs is so much less
    Cancellations (I realize there isn’t anything you can do about illness but it’s still a thing)

I still can’t wait for Indy but my expectations are not even close to the same as they were just a short time ago. 

It feels like it’s become a “brand” not in a good way ya know?  I don’t really have a great way to describe what I mean. Just feels like it’s become more about money and less about the quality of product?  I don’t know. It’s just turned me off the past few years. I know people love it but I don’t anymore. Probably just a me thing 🤷🏼‍♂️
    Merch has gone too far. 
    4 posters for a show that didnt happen is mabye too far!
    rangers72 said:
    BF25394 said:

Ticket prices
    The whole merch thing
    Shorter shows

Merch has gone too far. 
    4 posters for a show that didnt happen is mabye too far!
    4 posters for a show that did happen is maybe too far
  • drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,278
    Everyone just seems blinkered by the 2013/14 and 2016 tours where they played longer set lists full of rarities. Looking back at my older attended shows like Manchester 2000 and Wembley 2007, they weren’t too dissimilar to now at 27 songs… I really think that mid 2010s period was unusual 
    I agree though it would be nice to have 5-6 rarities on each show rather than 1-2
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,136
    pdalowsky said:
    I did think, and I know it'll never happen, but imagine if they announced in advance with of a two night run would feature the full DM album and the other night be one for the back catalogue solely.....I wonder how that would have gone down. 

I would be in for hearing DM fully any day of the week but i wonder if by pre announcing it it might kill ticket sales because fans wouldnt be buying multiple dates in the hopes of finishing the record 
    I think that's a move for a smaller venue show. Could be a tough sell for an arena or ballpark. My ideal would be they split the album over a 2 night run. I'm not into repeats but would love to hear every song.
    I wonder if they knew the longer 3+hr shows wouldnt be a thing as they got older so had a couple years while they had it in them to do it.

And regarding the rarities, I also wonder how many in the crowd would love it.  Obviously those here likely would, if we're posting on a message board its fair to say we are all super fans more than a high percentage in the audience.  You dont want too many 'rare' songs 90% of the crowd dont know or get into as much as I'd love it.
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,807
    pdalowsky said:

I do find it disappointing that they cant seem to work in a PJ20 style 10C destination weekend even once every 3-4 years.  Doesn't seem like too much to ask for.  
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,807
    drfox said:
    Everyone just seems blinkered by the 2013/14 and 2016 tours where they played longer set lists full of rarities. Looking back at my older attended shows like Manchester 2000 and Wembley 2007, they weren’t too dissimilar to now at 27 songs… I really think that mid 2010s period was unusual 
    I agree though it would be nice to have 5-6 rarities on each show rather than 1-2
    I'm 32 and I don't know if I will ever again experience a run from any band like PJ had with live shows from 2013-2016.  Constantly thankful that I was able to be a part of that run.  
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,424
    I wonder if they knew the longer 3+hr shows wouldnt be a thing as they got older so had a couple years while they had it in them to do it.

And regarding the rarities, I also wonder how many in the crowd would love it.  Obviously those here likely would, if we're posting on a message board its fair to say we are all super fans more than a high percentage in the audience.  You dont want too many 'rare' songs 90% of the crowd dont know or get into as much as I'd love it.
    I agree with you here...rarities are great but the majority of the audience won't have any idea what they are. It's hard for the long time fans to have to sit through Evenflow/Alive/Jeremy/Daughter/Elderly every show but the casual fans that see them live once in their life or once every 10 years absolutely love it.

Plus...it has to be hard to tour on a new album and have multiple other songs ready to play at the level they likely want to deliver them at. It might seem easy to think that they can just play every song they have ever recorded live upon request but it just doesn't work that way.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 722
    The “predictability” of the DM material is a feature not a bug to me. For my tastes this is their best album since No Code and late period albums tend to die off as soon as their album tours end so I want as much DM as I can get before it fades away. I’m doing both MSG and hoping for all 11 at least once and Stevie, Upper & Setting twice. 

I agree with you here...rarities are great but the majority of the audience won't have any idea what they are. It's hard for the long time fans to have to sit through Evenflow/Alive/Jeremy/Daughter/Elderly every show but the casual fans that see them live once in their life or once every 10 years absolutely love it.

Plus...it has to be hard to tour on a new album and have multiple other songs ready to play at the level they likely want to deliver them at. It might seem easy to think that they can just play every song they have ever recorded live upon request but it just doesn't work that way.
    agreed on Elderly LOL but I could listen to them play alive even flow and jeremy every night of my life 
    pdalowsky said:

agreed on Elderly LOL but I could listen to them play alive even flow and jeremy every night of my life 
    I'm a Corduroy guy...and Porch

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    kmcmanus said:
    The “predictability” of the DM material is a feature not a bug to me. For my tastes this is their best album since No Code and late period albums tend to die off as soon as their album tours end so I want as much DM as I can get before it fades away. I’m doing both MSG and hoping for all 11 at least once and Stevie, Upper & Setting twice. 
    Yeah that's why I'm bummed that they aren't playing Won't Tell and Got to Give....I really want to get the whole album this year and it's not looking good.

• bootlegbootleg Posts: 674
    The “merch thing” is completely optional for everyone though.  If there is a market for it then can’t really blame the band for putting it out there.  I guess unless you have some type of OCD where you’ve got to collect them all, but what are they supposed to do not offer it because some can’t control themselves?
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,243
    The shorter setlists are a major factor. Not because of the length of the show necessarily but it eliminates the possibility for songs we want to hear. I understand and agree they have to play the hits so that means 7-8 songs a set being cut are the rest of the catalog. 

I love the idea someone mentioned earlier of a Metallica type thing of two nights in a city, no repeats.  I for sure would have FOMO about those shows!
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 896
    I remember breaking down a 34 song set. You'd have, what, 8 songs off a new album, 12 huge songs, 10 deeper cuts and 4 rarities to make people lose their minds. They'd rotate openers and set closers in and out, opening with what Release, Wash, Of The Girl, Sometimes, Pendulum, Oceans or Long Road, close main sets with either Porch or RVM and end show with Ledbetter or Indifference (I say usually in this case as obviously they have had several different songs filling thise roles). So much room for curveballs. The double edged sword of getting a new album and hearing that live is there are less spots to get your white whales. I didn't see a Gigaton show so that whole album for me is. But come Auckland I'm going to try to think of DM as a whole white whale and be stoked knowing I'm going to see some awesome shit for the first time.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
    bootleg said:
    The “merch thing” is completely optional for everyone though.  If there is a market for it then can’t really blame the band for putting it out there.  I guess unless you have some type of OCD where you’ve got to collect them all, but what are they supposed to do not offer it because some can’t control themselves?
    People on the payroll too. Fans love it, so why not keep the revenue flowin' and the train chuggin'. Like you said, easy enough to see a show and opt out entirely if it's not your thing.
    In the 2024 music industry I'm not going to begrudge a band any revenue stream 
    pjl44 said:
    bootleg said:
    People on the payroll too. Fans love it, so why not keep the revenue flowin' and the train chuggin'. Like you said, easy enough to see a show and opt out entirely if it's not your thing.
    I'm actually surprised they don't offer more on the website. If I were managing them I would have a screen-printing operation set up in the warehouse and crank out shirts all fucking day. 

pjl44 said:
    bootleg said:
    I'm actually surprised they don't offer more on the website. If I were managing them I would have a screen-printing operation set up in the warehouse and crank out shirts all fucking day. 
    Totally. I hadn't perused the shop in a while and it's lighter than I would have guessed. For apparel at least.
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,243
    pjl44 said:
    In the 2024 music industry I'm not going to begrudge a band any revenue stream 
    To be clear I’m going to begrudge for any of the things I mentioned earlier. Just simply stating why I think I don’t have FOMO this tour. Although I do want to hear all of Dark Matter live… at least once. 
  • brewdog123brewdog123 Posts: 649
    the fire is dimming for everyone involved
    Atlanta, GA 8/7/00...Atlanta, GA 4/19/03...Columbia, SC 6/16/08...New Orleans, LA 5/1/10...East Troy, WI 9/3/11... East Troy, WI 9/4/11... Atlanta, GA 9/22/12...Greenville, SC 4/16/16...Nashville, TN 9/16/22
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,319
    BF25394 said:

Ticket prices
    The whole merch thing
    Shorter shows

So just ignore it. I went to ten shows in May and didn't spend a single dollar on merch or spend a single minute in line for merch. Actually, that's not exactly true. Coming out of L.A. 2, I walked up the merch truck outside to look at the Deep Sea Diver shirts. They were 40 bucks and not that attractive. I passed.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,319
    My one shoe got cancelled 
    Shoe the shoeless!!!
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.