Who will be the Democratic nominee?

Comments

• OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,997
    Joe Biden
    The party is showing what a Mickey Mouse organization it is.

This should have been happening a year ago (preferably more privately). NOTHING has changed...I have to believe his "bad performance" at the debate is just how he comes off sometimes given his age. Yeah, he has good/coherent moments. But at the debates he showed what he'll be like at least some of the time and it's not going to get better. Maybe Rob Reiner and Stone didn't see this but those close to him did. This should have been taken care of last year. Every possible outcome with the nomination is bad for the party.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,987
    Kamala Harris
    benjs said:
    If you don't do something trump will walk it.. do something now to stop that 
    I get the feeling Biden already knows he has to drop out. That said, he has to be 100% in until he's 100% out. Honest question though - if he bows out because of his current mental health, will there be impeachment efforts between now and November?

Of Kamala Harris? Possibly.
    I had been wondering why the right wing wasn't calling for the 25th amendment to be invoked (to remove Biden from office) -- apparently Harris now polls as well as or better than Biden against the orange menace, and she'd make the orange one look even worse when compared to her rather than Biden. So the GOP actually wants Biden to stay in the race, as he looks more vulnerable at this point.
    There is the question of, if Biden drops out of the race, does he also resign from office? It would make the transition to the Scary Black Lady /s less scary once people realized she wasn't going to make us all start using litter boxes and whatnot. I imagine some of our more auspicious members of the House :ahem: would launch impeachment proceedings on day one, if Harris were to take over from Biden.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,264
    edited July 10
    Josh Shapiro
    On what grounds would Congress impeach Harris if Biden stepped down? And is the insinuation that she would also be removed from office if impeached? I don't see where the time much less the rationale or appetite would be for that. Very bizarre train of thought.
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,997
    edited July 10
    Joe Biden
    benjs said:
    I get the feeling Biden already knows he has to drop out. That said, he has to be 100% in until he's 100% out. Honest question though - if he bows out because of his current mental health, will there be impeachment efforts between now and November?
    I don't think he has to acknowledge anything about current mental health. He just has to state that he's not getting younger and it's time for him to retire.  I don't think he could be impeached* for simply getting older during his term. As I discuss a couple of posts above, he should have done this a year ago and just said "It's time for me to retire." Nobody would hold that against him. Lots of people announce a retirement many months in advance and it doesn't mean "I'm currently mentally unfit." 

*OK, given the state of politics today, I suppose it's possible. He could also be 25thed.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    Kamala Harris
    benjs said:
    tbergs said:
    I think people recognize that they either say something and keep the pressure mounting or sit idly by, cross their fingers, and hope that we don't have a Project 2025 puppet as dictator. We have eyes and ears so if what they are saying could be disputed we wouldn't be at this juncture. We need a new candidate and that person could ride the wave even more than Obama generated 16 years ago if done correctly. However, I don't know how you get around that person being anyone other than Kamala, but she won't pick up the middle so it's probably still a gamble, but a better one than Biden right now.
    I thought he could ride it out if only the debate was bad but he was otherwise well - unfortunately, that really doesn't sound like it's the case, or there's been an effective sabotage campaign to make it seem like he's unwell. In either case, I don't think he can bounce back from this. I agree with Jon Stewart - if Democrats nominate someone who can be 1/10th as inspiring as people found Obama, able to communicate effectively, given the existing loathing of Trump, they can win.

Kamala Harris in prosecutor mode is quite inspiring, I  think -- so do a lot of people. She has been stepping up and speaking out more recently, and she's actually doing a very good job. For any Bulwark subscribers -- or for the Bulwark (or Harris)- curious, check out Tim Miller's Bulwark podcast from Monday, where he talks with The Atlantic's Elaina Plott Calabro about Kamala Harris; Harris has been doing a lot more than people think she has been doing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BnFxCSp7VY

The editorial from George Clooney was remarkable. He's saying explicitly that the debate was not just a "bad night."
    I also think it's noteworthy that Nancy Pelosi continues to refrain from offering a full-throated defense of Biden.
    And it makes me sad to say it, but I am distressed to hear Joe Biden saying and doing things ("The polls are wrong!") that I would expect from the other guy.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    Kamala Harris
    pjl44 said:
    On what grounds would Congress impeach Harris if Biden stepped down? And is the insinuation that she would also be removed from office if impeached? I don't see where the time much less the rationale or appetite would be for that. Very bizarre train of thought.

Rationale has nothing to do with it. Certain members of the GOP clown car caucus will move to impeach just because they want the attention, they think they work in pro wrestling, not Congress, and because they think that if they impeach everyone, all the time, impeachment will become normalized and we all will forget that it's actually NOT normal for a POTUS to be impeached, let alone impeached twice. If they turn it into just another blunt political object, then "impeachment" is just something you do to your opponents.
    Josh Shapiro
    pjl44 said:

Rationale has nothing to do with it. Certain members of the GOP clown car caucus will move to impeach just because they want the attention, they think they work in pro wrestling, not Congress, and because they think that if they impeach everyone, all the time, impeachment will become normalized and we all will forget that it's actually NOT normal for a POTUS to be impeached, let alone impeached twice. If they turn it into just another blunt political object, then "impeachment" is just something you do to your opponents.
    This doesn't make any sense 
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,360
    Joe Biden
    I’m waiting for the Bowling for Columbine guy to chime in and tell me what to do, not that it’ll matter.

I hate that I know this, since I've thought Michael Moore is a self-aggrandizing sack of sh!t since he was just a loudmouth on local radio, but he's saying that trotting Biden out there and pretending all is well is "elder abuse."
    First time I have almost agreed to Moore.  The biggest travesty is if people knew it was this bad for certain a year ago...
    hippiemom = goodness
    Kamala Harris
    OnWis97 said:
    benjs said:
    I don't think he has to acknowledge anything about current mental health. He just has to state that he's not getting younger and it's time for him to retire.  I don't think he could be impeached* for simply getting older during his term. As I discuss a couple of posts above, he should have done this a year ago and just said "It's time for me to retire." Nobody would hold that against him. Lots of people announce a retirement many months in advance and it doesn't mean "I'm currently mentally unfit." 

*OK, given the state of politics today, I suppose it's possible. He could also be 25thed.

No, being old isn't (normally) grounds for impeachment, as opposed to, say, extorting another nation or trying to stage a coup. I think of impeachment as being akin to indictment (I'm not a lawyer!) -- there is a vote as to whether or not the official is guilty of "high crimes and misdemeanors," and then the actual trial is held in the Senate. If I recall correctly, MTG or another clown (Boebert?) tried to move to impeach Biden on his first day in office.  If he's truly incapacitated/ incompetent, the 25th Amendment is the way to go.
    Kamala Harris
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

This doesn't make any sense 

Which part -- my explanation, or the GOP's behavior? I'm describing what they've already done over the past few years. Does their behavior make sense? No -- they haven't done much over the past 8-9 years that makes any sense (and I'm a small-"c" conservative who wants us to have more than one healthy party).
    I don't know how to say this without sounding snarky, but snark is not my intention here: Do you live in the US? If so, are you really not aware of GOP House members' repeated efforts to impeach Biden, Mayorkas, Buttigieg, "because reasons"?
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,341
    I’m waiting for the Bowling for Columbine guy to chime in and tell me what to do, not that it’ll matter.

I hate that I know this, since I've thought Michael Moore is a self-aggrandizing sack of sh!t since he was just a loudmouth on local radio, but he's saying that trotting Biden out there and pretending all is well is "elder abuse."
    First time I have almost agreed to Moore.  The biggest travesty is if people knew it was this bad for certain a year ago...
    Everyone knew and everyone acted like it was fake. Now at the 11th hour everyone wants to throw him out right before one of the most crucial elections. It should’ve never gotten this far!!!! It should’ve been known from the beginning he would only serve one term. 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,642
    benjs said:
    tbergs said:
    I think people recognize that they either say something and keep the pressure mounting or sit idly by, cross their fingers, and hope that we don't have a Project 2025 puppet as dictator. We have eyes and ears so if what they are saying could be disputed we wouldn't be at this juncture. We need a new candidate and that person could ride the wave even more than Obama generated 16 years ago if done correctly. However, I don't know how you get around that person being anyone other than Kamala, but she won't pick up the middle so it's probably still a gamble, but a better one than Biden right now.
    I thought he could ride it out if only the debate was bad but he was otherwise well - unfortunately, that really doesn't sound like it's the case, or there's been an effective sabotage campaign to make it seem like he's unwell. In either case, I don't think he can bounce back from this. I agree with Jon Stewart - if Democrats nominate someone who can be 1/10th as inspiring as people found Obama, able to communicate effectively, given the existing loathing of Trump, they can win.

Kamala Harris in prosecutor mode is quite inspiring, I  think -- so do a lot of people. She has been stepping up and speaking out more recently, and she's actually doing a very good job. For any Bulwark subscribers -- or for the Bulwark (or Harris)- curious, check out Tim Miller's Bulwark podcast from Monday, where he talks with The Atlantic's Elaina Plott Calabro about Kamala Harris; Harris has been doing a lot more than people think she has been doing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BnFxCSp7VY

The editorial from George Clooney was remarkable. He's saying explicitly that the debate was not just a "bad night."
    I also think it's noteworthy that Nancy Pelosi continues to refrain from offering a full-throated defense of Biden.
    And it makes me sad to say it, but I am distressed to hear Joe Biden saying and doing things ("The polls are wrong!") that I would expect from the other guy.

I like Harris and did when she was running for the nomination 4 years ago, but I worry about her broader appeal to swing voters. One of the plusses right now is that because she is not the candidate, she has not been subjected to as much of the mud slinging so people will have a less disdainful opinion of her and she can still attach herself to the accomplishments of the administration.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,194
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Joe Biden

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,547
    nicknyr15 said:

Everyone knew and everyone acted like it was fake. Now at the 11th hour everyone wants to throw him out right before one of the most crucial elections. It should’ve never gotten this far!!!! It should’ve been known from the beginning he would only serve one term. 

Who knew? All we could do was guess. They were clearly hiding him and he was never as terrible as he was at the debate.

The democrats are in this bind because they thought they could sneak him thru two debates and now it imploded on them.

We need every democrat with an audience, whether a senator, governor or actor, to speak out before it’s too late. He is dropping like a stone in the polls, and telling the voters to eff off.

they claim to care about democracy, that this is the ultimate election about democracy, yet they withheld critically important and relevant information from the voters, and now they’re telling us to shut up.

yeah the Dems are all for democracy and honesty.

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,786
    Joe Biden
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjhawks said:
    This is getting stupid.  All the Dems publicly calling for Biden to get out is not helping the Dems cause.  Either do it quietly in back channels or shut your trap.   Doing it publicly just gives the issue more attention for those that might be on the fence.  
    Agreed. Not a good look

I suspect you guys are right but the other argument has it's merits.  To be honest, I don't know anymore, Nick.  So for now, I'm going surfing in my mind, or my dreams, or maybe just play some old Beach Boys records.  :wink:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Josh Shapiro
    Man it's just all coming out. Starts with Ezra Klein quoting an elected Democrat.

Kamala Harris
    Oh man, poor Tim's head is going to explode over those comments; he has been threatening to leak texts for the last week or so. I haven't listened to that podcast yet, but Tim said that Ezra Klein's comments were "chilling."

It IS maddening, and incredibly sad and frustrating, to hear that Dem leaders are just as freaking self-centered and cowardly as the Republicans are.
    Props to Michael Bennet, who is speaking up. We need more than one or two senators to say anything, though.
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    Lots of places where this could go

Dr said today Biden possesses classic Parkinson’s.  Reviewing the symptoms appears he’s correct.  
    Joe Biden

Dr said today Biden possesses classic Parkinson’s.  Reviewing the symptoms appears he’s correct.  

so the specialist who saw him for his annual physical is lying or the WH Dr is then?

• cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    mickeyrat said:

so the specialist who saw him for his annual physical is lying or the WH Dr is then?
    How bout everyone is lying about everything!  It wasn’t his drs it was an independent physician.  
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,341
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjhawks said:
    This is getting stupid.  All the Dems publicly calling for Biden to get out is not helping the Dems cause.  Either do it quietly in back channels or shut your trap.   Doing it publicly just gives the issue more attention for those that might be on the fence.  
    Agreed. Not a good look

I suspect you guys are right but the other argument has its merits.  To be honest, I don't know anymore, Nick.  So for now, I'm going surfing in my mind, or my dreams, or maybe just play some old Beach Boys records.  :wink:
    Surfing is always the remedy 🙃
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,786
    Joe Biden
    nicknyr15 said:
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjhawks said:
    Agreed. Not a good look

I suspect you guys are right but the other argument has its merits.  To be honest, I don't know anymore, Nick.  So for now, I'm going surfing in my mind, or my dreams, or maybe just play some old Beach Boys records.  :wink:
    Surfing is always the remedy 🙃

LOL, yes!

I'm prone to lately, to give voice to others who speak with more clarity and more savvy that I have.  Dan Rather, for instance, from his message today:

It’s been too hot in Texas to spend any meaningful time outside, which has left this reporter with few options except to watch the post-debate discourse on social media and cable news. Big mistake. Frankly, I am alarmed at what I’m witnessing. If you wonder why Donald Trump has been so quiet lately, it’s because he doesn’t need to campaign. Why waste a good lie and ad dollars when he can sit back and watch the Democrats implode? 

President Biden insists he’s in it to stay, bad debate or not. Those who question that decision, or support his withdrawal, are now being told some version of salute and get in line, don’t rock the boat, or change can’t happen. It’s similar to an expression by an old Texas football coach who once said you have to “dance with the one who brung you.” To do otherwise is apparently not acceptable.

It is shocking to me that to criticize Biden is now being labeled as blasphemous. To worry about our democracy under a president who is losing a step – or worse — is seen as unpatriotic or even somehow showing tacit support for Trump. 

In the same breath, I hear, “What about Trump? Why isn’t the media calling on him to get out?” I won’t speak for others, but at Steady I can point to hundreds of posts written over the past several years about why he is unfit to serve. If our position is unclear, then I have failed. Going forward, we will continue to highlight his lies and generally outrageous behavior.

Whether Biden should stay in the race is a discussion we all must be having. Yes, keeping Trump out of D.C. forever is vital. But to be silenced and shamed for the very act of questioning Biden’s ability to lead is undemocratic. We are better than that. If we have learned anything in the last eight years, it is that blind loyalty is dangerous — see Trump, Donald J.  

I am not, repeat NOT, endorsing a Biden withdrawal from the race. Nor am I endorsing Vice President Kamala Harris, or anyone else. What I am endorsing is a conversation about strategy, one without intimidation. To be shouted down for raising your voice is un-American.  

If this angers you, I’m sorry. I get it. The unknown is almost as terrifying as another four years of Donald Trump. But I am here to tell you, to the best of my ability in the days I have left on this earth, the truth, or as close to it as possible. And sometimes that is not pleasant. But our democracy needs a big injection of truth right now. And I mean right now, as in today.  

If we were kept in the dark by our journalists, or even worse, the White House staff or Biden campaign purposely deceiving us about the president’s health, it is beyond troubling. This cannot be swept under the rug. It needs sunshine. 

The loudest argument against having an open discussion is a lack of time to change course, which is, frankly, insulting. This is America. We can and will do what’s needed to protect our great country. Never say can’t … that’s a word on the outside of my vocabulary looking in. If you want the side eye from me, tell me something can’t be done.  

One final note — I’m most proud of the comments section on Steady. It is an open forum where intelligent, well-informed people have smart, civil debates. In response to a post last week, many of you were upset with even the notion of questioning the present course. That is your right. It is also the right of others to talk about a different way forward. Please allow them to do so. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory Posts: 6,324
    Kamala Harris
    mickeyrat said:
    Now this man debating the orange fuck stick would be fantastic! 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,199
    mickeyrat said:

Didn’t the Trump doctor lie about everything?

Were they honest tonthe public about Regans dementia?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • teskeincteskeinc Posts: 1,668
    Other
    Fortunately the vote to not demand proof of citizenship will help Democrats this fall. I don’t think Trump will have a shot if they can get even a small percentage of the migrants who crossed through the open border illegally the last 3.5 years to get out and vote. The threat Trump will “mass deport” should mitigate their fear. Also the ballot harvesters used in 2020 will also impact more votes in districts that are less enthusiastic about heading to the polls. Hopefully donors will come thru with “incentives” to help people fill out those mail-ins. The last line of defense will be the drop boxes and the count staff as well. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,199
    Bernie still seems sharp and with a fire in his belly. 

Maybe the wrong "really, really, really old dude" was chosen if you wanted 8 years out of the dude.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"