Who will be the Democratic nominee?

Comments

• dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    That money will go to a PAC and the new candidate will make up the difference in no time.

I've heard many a Dem strategist say it will be not that big of a deal.

A bigger deal is sticking with a candidate that is the equivalency of the Titanic sinking. 
    Look, I'm not happy with the situation. But desperate times call for desperate measures.

Did anyone really think nominating an 81 year old who will be 86 at the end of his term was a great idea?

I'm really sick of these old assholes that can't give it up. It's ridiculously selfish. 

I truly believe Democracy in the US is literally at stake. Especially with the disaster going on at the supreme court. It's bananas right now.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,194
    Joe Biden
    dignin said:
    That money will go to a PAC and the new candidate will make up the difference in no time.

A bigger deal is sticking with a candidate that is the equivalency of the Titanic sinking. 

https://prospect.org/power/2024-07-02-campaign-finance-laws-harris-big-boost-biden-dropout-scenario/
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited July 5
    mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:

https://prospect.org/power/2024-07-02-campaign-finance-laws-harris-big-boost-biden-dropout-scenario/
    Yup, I understand all that.

It's not going to be easy. But I do think there will be a lot of donors willing to open their wallets for a new exciting candidate.

100 million I think could be raised in no time. 

There are currently a lot of big wallets closing shut for Biden as we speak.

Do you think if Biden stays he can pull this off? Honest question.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,786
    Joe Biden
    dignin said:
    Look, I'm not happy with the situation. But desperate times call for desperate measures.

Did anyone really think nominating an 81 year old who will be 86 at the end of his term was a great idea?

I'm really sick of these old assholes that can't give it up. It's ridiculously selfish. 

I truly believe Democracy in the US is literally at stake. Especially with the disaster going on at the supreme court. It's bananas right now.

If democracy were not at stake, I could see taking a chance on another democrat.  I can't imagine that working, but who knows?  It would be interesting to see.  But democracy is at stake and I am very wary of going with the incredibly long shot of pulling out the candidate that already won the nomination pre-convention.

In any case, the fact of the matter is none of us is going to make whatever happens happen.  The only thing any of us can do is throw all of our support at and vote for whomever is the Democratic candidate in November.  There's nothing else we can do.  Zip, zero, nada.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,214
    you all want to give it all away to a convicted felon. nice.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    Joe Biden
    dignin said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:

It's not going to be easy. But I do think there will be a lot of donors willing to open their wallets for a new exciting candidate.

for the 2nd term?
    would hope so. if not, does it matter? really? theres always been the possibility of a President not fulfilling the whole term.

This potential was considered in 2020 for me. This was before he assembled his cabinet.  Remain comfortable with the decision then and this Nov.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,987
    Kamala Harris

Not at all! I'm not sure who you're talking to here, but like Brian notes above, and as I've mentioned (again and again), the goal is to keep that orange a$$hole out of the White House. Period. That's it; that's all that matters.
    Whatever my personal preference might be, it's irrelevant. What's important is that Dems take a close look at Biden and at polling and line up behind the person most likely to defeat T---p, be that Joe Biden, Kamala Harris, Josh Shapiro, etc. 
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,547

It’s the convicted felons opponent that has 80% of independents believing he is unfit to serve. No coming back from that. And the convictions will get tossed anyway.

Go ask all the American trillionaires who they’re voting for. 

mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:

for the 2nd term?
    would hope so. if not, does it matter? really? theres always been the possibility of a President not fulfilling the whole term.

This potential was considered in 2020 for me. This was before he assembled his cabinet.  Remain comfortable with the decision then and this Nov.
    No, do you think he can win?
    If Biden doesn't step down and let someone else run it's him that's giving it all away. All for his fucking ego.

I'm really starting to dislike him.
  • teskeincteskeinc Posts: 1,668
    Other
    Why wasn’t anyone running against Biden 6 months ago in a primary? It’s no secret he’s been senile for 3.5 years (or longer) even with media trying to hide it. Crazy one debate exposed what liberals were denying up until days before the debate. Now that the polls flip and no chance Biden can win he is now in the crosshairs of the media. It’s over now. Democrats are going to lose badly, house, senate as well. 

Joe Biden
    teskeinc said:
    Why wasn’t anyone running against Biden 6 months ago in a primary? It’s no secret he’s been senile for 3.5 years (or longer) even with media trying to hide it. Crazy one debate exposed what liberals were denying up until days before the debate. Now that the polls flip and no chance Biden can win he is now in the crosshairs of the media. It’s over now. Democrats are going to lose badly, house, senate as well. 

You obviously have no experience with older people.  First of all, senility is not an all or nothing situation.  It doesn't just turn on like there's a switch.  All older people have slower reactions and moments of less clarity.  I'm 73, I know what I'm talking about.  That doesn't make me or an 81 year old man a vegetable or incapable.  An older, slower person with gained experience and wisdom is still useful  Do not prematurely bury us.  So for that comment about "senile" alone, we don't need that kind of heckling here.

And what gives you the idea Democrats and anyone who wants to preserve democracy is just going to roll over and give up?  No way, man. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Other
    brianlux said:
    teskeinc said:

You obviously have no experience with older people.  First of all, senility is not an all or nothing situation.  It doesn't just turn on like there's a switch.  All older people have slower reactions and moments of less clarity.  I'm 73, I know what I'm talking about.  That doesn't make me or an 81 year old man a vegetable or incapable.  An older, slower person with gained experience and wisdom is still useful  Do not prematurely bury us.  So for that comment about "senile" alone, we don't need that kind of heckling here.

And what gives you the idea Democrats and anyone who wants to preserve democracy is just going to roll over and give up?  No way, man. 
    Have you not watched anything for 3.5 years? He won’t do live interviews, everything is scripted and read on prompters. I saw him falling up stairs, off bikes and incoherent ramblings. He not only should be replaced as a candidate, he should be removed as President immediately! You’re worried about Democracy? The whole safety of our nation is at risk and has been covered up for years.
    Joe Biden
    teskeinc said:
    brianlux said:
    teskeinc said:

Have you not watched anything for 3.5 years? He won’t do live interviews, everything is scripted and read on prompters. I saw him falling up stairs, off bikes and incoherent ramblings. He not only should be replaced as a candidate, he should be removed as President immediately! You’re worried about Democracy? The whole safety of our nation is at risk and has been covered up for years.

Haha, newbie to AMT implies I know nothing about what's going on here and haven't watch anything for 3.5 years.  Cute.
    Look, you obviously have not been reading much here, so I'll catch up a bit: I've said this before- Biden was never my first choice.  Well, too bad, neither you nor I nor anyone other than Biden can change that.  Between Biden and Trump, he's still the best option.  And only a MAGA would say something like, "he should be removed as President immediately!".  Think about how ridiculous that sounds.
    Yes, I am concerned about preserving Democracy.
    That's all I'm going to give you.  I don't have much time or energy for MAGA people and besides, I don't want to use up the time you need to catch up on some reading and get up to speed here.

Joe Biden
    dignin said:
    If Biden doesn't step down and let someone else run it's him that's giving it all away. All for his fucking ego.

I'm really starting to dislike him.

I can understand your feeling frustrated with Biden.  Honestly, I get it.  I would SO have loved a better choice.  But at this point, it's not a matter of liking or not liking Biden.  It's a matter of preserving democracy.  That's what we're voting for.  Biden will not lead us away from being a democracy based nation.  Assuming he is in it until November, please just keep that simple fact in mind.  It's either democracy and Biden, or Trump and authoritarian rule with a crazed dictator at the helm.  An old man who has slow moments and who has a good team and cabinet working with him is far less of a problem and a danger than a deranged felon who is a narcissistic megalomaniac authoritarian dictator whose team and cabinet are made of solely of yes men doing his bidding.
    I know, the choice kind of sucks.  The lesser of two evils is always far from ideal, but the worse of two evils is always...well... worse.

edited July 6
    Other
    Biden is the nominee because of democracy but you want him replaced by political elites because the liberal sheep just realized he can’t win? Total democracy there. Please keep on preserving it for us!
    Joe Biden
    yawn...

Joe Biden
    For anyone still posting here who doesn't think the Biden administration is working very well, consider this:

"The other big news today was that the U.S. added 206,000 jobs in June, bringing the total number of jobs created under this administration to 15.7 million. Last month’s numbers were, once again, higher than economists expected and, according to economic analyst Steven Rattner, above job growth levels before the pandemic. He added that these jobs are not simply a bounceback from the depths of the pandemic: 6.2 million more Americans are employed now than before Covid hit."
    (See Heather Cox Richardson's letter in the HCR thread put up by mickeyrat )

Not working well?  Riiiiiiiight.

edited July 6
    Other
    brianlux said:
    For anyone still posting here who doesn't think the Biden administration is working very well, consider this:

"The other big news today was that the U.S. added 206,000 jobs in June, bringing the total number of jobs created under this administration to 15.7 million. Last month’s numbers were, once again, higher than economists expected and, according to economic analyst Steven Rattner, above job growth levels before the pandemic. He added that these jobs are not simply a bounceback from the depths of the pandemic: 6.2 million more Americans are employed now than before Covid hit."

It’s over Brian. Stock up on tissues, it’s going to be a rough ride for you. You’re going to have Trump then Rubio for President the next 8-12 years with potentially a Super Majority in the House and Senate. Most likely 2-3 more conservative judges on the Supreme Court for the next 20-30 years too. The 30% will always vote Democrat, you can’t help them. But the Democrats plans have backfired and the Independents have woken up. Trump is 16 points better than this time 4 years ago, plus he will get a convention bounce and naming Rubio his VP.

There’s no more Russian hoaxes, fake allegations, fake dossiers, bogus criminal cases. You can keep watching your Morning Joe and watch Slow Joe hold proud and strong as you spend the rest of your life complaining about how conservative the country got. At least you will be able to afford your groceries and gas in your Biden age days.

Post edited by teskeinc on
    Joe Biden
    God I love a good MAGA troll.  I'm up in the middle of the night having a coughing fit, icing my back which I threw out when bashing my leg in the dark on the way to the bathroom to try to dig up some cough syrup, and wondering how many more ailments away from the end I am. 
    But now all my troubles disappear as the light shineth upon me, knowing terrible the rule of Democracy is ending and the almighty Orange One is going to save us all.
    Hallefuckinglujah!
    Etc.

Other
    Maybe if you “Beat Medicare” like Joe did you could lose the cough.

teskeinc said:
    Biden is the nominee because of democracy but you want him replaced by political elites because the liberal sheep just realized he can’t win? Total democracy there. Please keep on preserving it for us!

welcome the forum. 

First off, Biden has had the most successful presidential term since Ronald Reagan. You should Google “Biden legislative accomplishments,” and read carefully what Biden has accomplished that no president in the last 50 years has been able to do. There is no arguing that and it’s absurd that Biden has not gotten overwhelming credit for this.

Saying that, of course, there are issues with Biden’s health, and I am very suspect about the Democratic leader ship running his campaign. Since the Obama team retired in 2012, the Democratic leader ship has been horrible at running presidential campaigns outside of the fluky situation that Covid created. 

But Brian is 100% right, there is a huge difference between being senile and being frail with some cognitive decline. I agree Biden needs to step out, but you should be a little bit more careful in the thoughts that you have and the words you choose
    mickeyrat said:

he was very mediocre in this interview and there is just no opportunity to undo the damage that a presidential debate with 50 60 million people watching did to his campaign and peoples perceptions of his current abilities. 

Biden is stuck between a rock and a hard place , he cannot say yes to the frail question because that would further damage his campaign, and when he denies it, he looks like a bigger liar than Trump.
    teskeinc said:
    brianlux said:

It’s over Brian. Stock up on tissues, it’s going to be a rough ride for you. You’re going to have Trump then Rubio for President the next 8-12 years with potentially a Super Majority in the House and Senate. Most likely 2-3 more conservative judges on the Supreme Court for the next 20-30 years too. The 30% will always vote Democrat, you can’t help them. But the Democrats plans have backfired and the Independents have woken up. Trump is 16 points better than this time 4 years ago, plus he will get a convention bounce and naming Rubio his VP.

There’s no more Russian hoaxes, fake allegations, fake dossiers, bogus criminal cases. You can keep watching your Morning Joe and watch Slow Joe hold proud and strong as you spend the rest of your life complaining about how conservative the country got. At least you will be able to afford your groceries and gas in your Biden age days.

FFS you haven’t won a popular vote in a thousand years, and if democratic leadership were smart, we’d have nine liberal justices on the bench.

just be glad that your 40% party that is only interested in billionaires wealth is up against the stupidest party leadership in the history of humanity.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,299
    Joe Biden
    brianlux said:
    A last minute switch?  Part of me wishes Joe would drop out of the race, but a massively bigger part of me wants Trump to drop out as well.  I know he is well past his prime, but I will vote for Biden over Trump in a heartbeat.

jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,299
    Joe Biden
    teskeinc said:
    brianlux said:

😂😂😂 go ahead vote for a convicted felon rapist adulterer con cheating idiot! He has 0 human morals go ahead name 1 decent human quality he possesses? I’ll be here waiting just 1
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    teskeinc said:
    Maybe if you “Beat Medicare” like Joe did you could lose the cough.

I’m thinking that Mike would probably be embarrassed to be in your avatar.  Just saying….