Who will be the Democratic nominee?

There are a lot of moving parts that need to come together for someone else to get to the top of the ticket, but I think it will happen.
May your days be long, til kingdom come.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org

Who will be the Democratic nominee? 32 votes

Joe Biden
50%
cincybearcatpjhawksThe JugglerjosevolutionSVRDhand13mickeyratOnWis97Asterisk on the Streetjpayne1976brianluxF Me In The BrainPJ_SoulZoSoTimRunIntoTheRainHughFreakingDillonGlorified KC 16 votes
Kamala Harris
40%
E.KdarwinstheoryWe All Believeon2legscurmudgeonessBentleyspopDE4173BELLZDEEPCO278952RG307469Johnny Abruzzomrussel1Tjm007 13 votes
Pete Buttigieg
0%
Gavin Newsom
0%
Josh Shapiro
3%
pjl44 1 vote
Gretchen Whitmer
3%
soph189 1 vote
Other
3%
teskeinc 1 vote

Comments

• We All BelieveWe All Believe Posts: 585
    Kamala Harris
    Realistically, I don't think anyone but Harris could/would replace Biden at this point, but there are other options, and those names seem like the ones that most everyone is throwing around.

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,264
    Josh Shapiro
    My Shapiro vote is pure wish casting. If I had to place a bet it's Harris but I honestly have no idea how this shakes out.
  • We All BelieveWe All Believe Posts: 585
    Kamala Harris
    pjl44 said:
    My Shapiro vote is pure wish casting. If I had to place a bet it's Harris but I honestly have no idea how this shakes out.
    Yeah, I don't know much about Shapiro, but it seems like he's a rising star in the party, and on the short list for 2028.

• curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,987
    Kamala Harris
    I love Pete  and think he's the best option. That said, Kamala Harris is the only person not named Joe Biden who can access the $91M in funds raised by the campaign thus far.
    Given the unending stream of stories suggesting that Biden is really struggling, I think it's very possible that he resigns by Monday, in which case Harris is POTUS. She would have a few months to show people that she can stay the course and to assuage fears that the "scary Black lady" will put litterboxes in all the schools or something. :eyeroll:
    Josh Shapiro seems to have a bright future, too. I think it would be great to see him or Pete as Harris's running mate.

I say all of this as a long-time fan of Joe Biden.

I have my suspicions that part of the reason why Biden hasn't already stepped aside is that Dr. Biden still holds a grudge against Kamala Harris for her performance in the first primary debate in 2020. That's just a suspicion on my part.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,194
    Joe Biden
    can any of you tell me when such a change as the one proposed has worked in the past?
    we do have history as a guide here......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Kamala Harris
    We do, and we don't.
    Until this past week, while I had concerns about Biden's age I viewed him as the best/ least-worst option to defeat the other guy. But this story isn't going away; I had thought maybe it would disappear after a news cycle or two, especially in the wake of the SCOTUS immunity ruling, but instead it has gained momentum. I also think Nancy Pelosi really opened the door to having the conversation and making a change in her interview with Andrea Mitchell the other day; if Pelosi had no concerns about Biden's status, I'm confident she would have shut down any chirping or whispering post-haste.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    Joe Biden
    We do, and we don't.
    Until this past week, while I had concerns about Biden's age I viewed him as the best/ least-worst option to defeat the other guy. But this story isn't going away; I had thought maybe it would disappear after a news cycle or two, especially in the wake of the SCOTUS immunity ruling, but instead it has gained momentum. I also think Nancy Pelosi really opened the door to having the conversation and making a change in her interview with Andrea Mitchell the other day; if Pelosi had no concerns about Biden's status, I'm confident she would have shut down any chirping or whispering post-haste.

so everybody wants NOW to see if it works THIS time? the reason/intent for the change is irrelevant in the face of the results of the previous attempts.

fucking insane.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Kamala Harris
    I think we're dealing with a black swan situation, to a large extent.
    I was 100% on board with staying with Biden, as I firmly believe that a greatly diminished Biden remains a FAR superior option to the orange menace. But then I saw how polls are showing that, contrary to what I had believed, Harris, Buttigieg, Shapiro, Whitmer all are polling *very* similarly to Biden vs. the other guy.
    It always was going to be a heavy lift to convince people that Biden would still be able to do the job at age 86. 80% of people think he's too old to carry on -- how do we ignore that?

Kamala Harris
    And is it insane? Sure. Is there anything about our current situation that isn't completely fucking insane? I know our year defies belief, I can't speak for anyone else.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,703
    I think the polling would change for Harris if Biden said he wasn't running. 

I can't say I'm a big fan of Harris as a politician. I think she is intelligent enough and I trust her but I don't think she comes across well to voters.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    I think the polling would change for Harris if Biden said he wasn't running. 

I can't say I'm a big fan of Harris as a politician. I think she is intelligent enough and I trust her but I don't think she comes across well to voters.
    Agree.  She’s a sliver better than Hilary but that’s like barely nothing.  
    Kamala Harris
    I don't disagree. I think the key will be for party leadership to unite behind the candidate who can WIN, and for all prospective candidates to put country over personal ambition. Democrats surprised me by doing this in 2020; let's hope that they do it again.
    I'll vote for the proverbial ham sandwich with a "D" stamped on it before I vote for the orange menace, but we need to keep the swing voters on board.
    And is it insane? Sure. Is there anything about our current situation that isn't completely fucking insane? I know our year defies belief, I can't speak for anyone else.
    Feels like things have been insane since 2016.  

Dems need to decide this quickly.  Somehow they need to keep Harris to keep the campaign funds as everyone has stated.  
    Before anything, someone behind the scenes has to step up and agree to do it (be the nominee).   I think Harris is the only one willing.  2nd in command can be called upon at any time and she already accepts that.  I know she’s not talking about it publicly but they better be talking about it in executive sessions. When other countries are begging us to do the right thing everyone should see the enormity of this entire situation 
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,786
    Joe Biden
    A last minute switch?  Part of me wishes Joe would drop out of the race, but a massively bigger part of me wants Trump to drop out as well.  I know he is well past his prime, but I will vote for Biden over Trump in a heartbeat.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Joe Biden

It's a recurring nightmare, that's for sure.  Every God forsaken, say.  America doesn't know if it it's been "shot, fucked, powder-burned, or snake bit."
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,264
    Josh Shapiro
    mickeyrat said:
    We do, and we don't.

so everybody wants NOW to see if it works THIS time? the reason/intent for the change is irrelevant in the face of the results of the previous attempts.

fucking insane.
    Fucking insane is giving a quite obviously senile man 4.5 more years in command of the Executive branch 
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,552
    Biden to the rest of the world is clearly in a very bad state. It's unfair on him and wrong he is even in the job. How he can be considered for 4 more years the guy won't last this year let alone 4 sadly. It's just cruel 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,547
    brianlux said:
    A last minute switch?  Part of me wishes Joe would drop out of the race, but a massively bigger part of me wants Trump to drop out as well.  I know he is well past his prime, but I will vote for Biden over Trump in a heartbeat.

I will if forced to as well , but…Before 1970, it was customary for the party to choose its nominee at the convention.

For those saying “it was just one bad debate” or “this time” point to the last time a major party nominated an 81 year old with clear signs of decline (Reagan was 6 years younger in 84 and was better then than Biden is now) or a sitting president with such a dumpster fire of incompetence at a debate.

one big misstep with ABC tonight and it’s lights out. And if they don’t show it live, the opposition will be screaming for blood.
    oh, and as far as trump dropping out…we have a better chance of Pearl Jam doing a comprehensive 30 show east coast tour or a 13 show MSG residency
    edited July 5
    Joe Biden
    If Biden is elected and becomes incapacitate at some point in the next 4 1/2 years, Harris will have to step in.  Do I like that scenario?  No.  Could I be OK with it?  Not thrilled, but yes, I could live with that.

But assuming the vote comes down to Biden vs Trump, if Trump wins, we will no longer have a president, we will have an all-powerful king/ dictator, democracy in America will be dead, the environment will be more fucked than ever, yours and my personal liberty will be at stake, separation of phony church and state will end, abortions will become illegal across the board, the freedoms of our LGBTQ+ friends will be highly restricted, possibly in serious jeopardy, and our allies will distance themselves from us.

Pick your poison.  I'm voting for Biden.

Kamala Harris
    I'm voting against T---p. Period. Whether it's Biden, Harris, or AOC, I'm voting (D); but it's not my vote that matters.

The Washington Post says that senators are gathering to go talk to Biden. Brian, I think you're older than most of us and thus more likely to remember what happened the last time they did that.
    Kamala Harris
    oh, and as far as trump dropping out…we have a better chance of Pearl Jam doing a comprehensive 30 show east coast tour or a 13 show MSG residency
    "So you're saying there's a chance?? Should I line up now for GA?" 

edited July 5
    Joe Biden
    I'm voting against T---p. Period. Whether it's Biden, Harris, or AOC, I'm voting (D); but it's not my vote that matters.

The Washington Post says that senators are gathering to go talk to Biden. Brian, I think you're older than most of us and thus more likely to remember what happened the last time they did that.

ME older than most of you?  :lol:       
    hide  emoji, lol

I actually don't remember that.   Funny thing is, the further back something happened, the more I'm likely to remember it... but not always!

It sure looks to me like Biden is firm in his conviction to stay in.  It will be interesting if he can be swayed otherwise, and I would not put money on it, but I'm guessing he will not bow out.  Gift article:

Election Live Updates: ‘I’ll Beat Trump’ Says a Defiant Biden, Pledging to Stay in Race

The brief speech in Wisconsin kicked off a weekend that could be make-or-break for President Biden’s campaign, including a high-stakes ABC News interview that will air in prime time on Friday.

President Biden just wrapped a brief but animated and defiant speech at a campaign event in Wisconsin, asserting that he would continue in the race and describing former President Donald J. Trump as a liar and threat to democracy.

“I’m staying in this race,” Mr. Biden told the crowd, to cheers. “I’m not letting one 90-minute debate wipe out three and a half years of work.” Mr. Biden's speech in Wisconsin is the first of two appearances on Friday that will be closely watched as doubts among Democrats intensify about his ability to beat former President Donald J. Trump. ABC News will air an interview with Mr. Biden on Friday evening that will be recorded after the speech.

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,214
    mickeyrat said:
    We do, and we don't.

fucking insane.
    agreed. if dems go through with this they might as well just give the white house to trump and the house and senate to the gop. this is not the time to be fucking around with this strategy. it will 1000% fail.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    Joe Biden
    mickeyrat said:
    We do, and we don't.

fucking insane.
    agreed. if dems go through with this they might as well just give the white house to trump and the house and senate to the gop. this is not the time to be fucking around with this strategy. it will 1000% fail.

Agree, both.
    As I've said before: I don't like sending money to politicians.   Most of my contributions go to activist conservation/environmental organizations.  And I know that what I can afford is like veritable "drop in the bucket", but nevertheless I sent more money to the Biden campaign via Act Blue earlier today because I believe Biden is the only hope to defeat the evil T and I need to show what support I can.  It's do or die time, friends.

edited July 5
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    We do, and we don't.

fucking insane.

Agree, both.
    As I've said before: I don't like sending money to politicians.   Most of my contributions go to activist conservation/environmental organizations.  And I know that what I can afford is like veritable "drop in the bucket", but nevertheless I sent more money to the Biden campaign via Act Blue earlier today because I believe Biden is the only hope to defeat the evil T and I need to show what support I can.  It's do or die time, friends.

Joe is running six points behind trump, while in 2020 he was solidly eight ahead, a fourteen point swing from when he won by 44k votes in swing states. Eighty percent of independents now believe Biden is unfit to serve.

maybe y’all are right, replacing Biden will fail. But there is almost no chance to reverse those poll numbers. How is he going to do it? A taped interview with ABC? Reading off a prompter at a rally? That’s insane. The MAGAs must be laughing their asses off on that. After proving he is unfit to stand on a live stage with trump, they think a taped interview with a third of the audience will change minds.

democratic leadership is out of their minds and they have been gaslighting us about Bidens health for a year. This is not 2020 Joe, not even close. 

• dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    mickeyrat said:
    We do, and we don't.

fucking insane.
    I believe Biden is going to lose if he stays in.

Our only hope is for someone else to step up. 

If I could pick it would be Whitmer.
    edited July 5
    Joe Biden
    dignin said:
    mickeyrat said:
    We do, and we don't.

fucking insane.
    I believe Biden is going to lose if he stays in.

Our only hope is for someone else to step up. 

If I could pick it would be Whitmer.
    the war chest in the biden/harris campaign stays with the biden/harris campaign or a harris/insert name here campaign.

dnc would have to forego finacial support to down ballot candidates and spend toward a non-harris ticket. pac money wouldnt cut it.

Post edited by mickeyrat on