Respect the travelling fans...

just_onejust_one Posts: 2,114
edited July 2 in The Porch
English is not my first languague so bare with me...As a fan who was at vienna in 2022 and now has tickets for london,berlin,Barcelona,Madrid and lisbon i've got to say this.

Something has to change within the band to avoid these waves of cancellations.

If eddie was feeling ill he should never sang in Manchester plain and simple. Cancelling that show might have saved the rest of the tour but they went head full knowing the consequences for the remaining of the tour. 

They know a lot of people travel from all over the world to see the band play, they have to protect themselfs better. Like eddie not coming down to the rail for example.

There so many bands even bigger bands that have way worse scheduling tours and none of them have this happenning to them. Its just unexclusable at this point.

Unfortunally this will be the last time we are travelling to see them play, they just became way to unreliable , it hurts to write this but its the truth. Its been 7 days since manchester , and it will be 11 days when barcelona comes, somehow i really hope they perform in Barcelona because lets be realistic here...what kind of sickness takes 11 freaking days to get better? That being said i've lost all hope for barcelona, yes im leaving for barcelona on the 4th but with no hope for them to show up at all.

Im just sad this will be the last time so many fans are giving up travelling to see the band(im not the minority) , they really broke that special bond , there is not trust anymore ....

Post edited by Sea on

Comments

• severinlseverinl Posts: 30
    ...what kind of sickness takes 11 freaking days to get better?... 

Covid can fuck you up for that and longer. 

And we don't know if there might be more than one member sick, maybe even with the date of infection spread out a bit. 

I hope you'll see a show in Barcelona! 
  • KidAOKKidAOK Posts: 101
    So cancel Manchester to leave thousands more disappointed when there's no evidence that that would have allowed them to play London or Berlin?
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,362
    Strange post….but I will say I feel like some of the “traveling” fans may do it backwards. The destination didn’t change, you’re still in an amazing place. Enjoy it, embrace it, experience it, explore it…..

also, this “special bond” you speak of, lives in your head. Yes the band has told you how special you are because you travel all these miles to see the band….but……
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,618
    Yes.. what "special bond" is broken because someone(or multiple people) in band got sick?  They didn't do it on purpose...

I'M SURE they would rather play than cancel. Maybe they need to go back to isolation between shows like some bands still do? Who knows... virus and illness is out there, just ask the people who got covid from Dublin or Manchester... crowed areas with people yelling and singing spreads virus. 
  • just_onejust_one Posts: 2,114
    Yes.. what "special bond" is broken because someone(or multiple people) in band got sick?  They didn't do it on purpose...

I'M SURE they would rather play than cancel. Maybe they need to go back to isolation between shows like some bands still do? Who knows... virus and illness is out there, just ask the people who got covid from Dublin or Manchester... crowed areas with people yelling and singing spreads virus. 
    I saw green day in Glasgow on june 25th with 40k people, saw killers on the 26th with 15k and bands still tour with no cancellations. Protect themselfs better 
  • PearlDenizPearlDeniz Posts: 22
    I understand you very well. I had the same experience in Amsterdam in 2022. Now I have tickets for Barcelona for two nights. I will be coming from Turkey and all flight and accommodation expenses have already been paid. If we could be informed at least 2 days in advance, fans like us could take precautions and minimize financial losses. There's no compensation for emotional damage anyway.

The reason I bought 2 tickets for 2024, is because I thought this might be the last time we will see the band in Europe, and I didn't want to miss this last call. Now I believe I am right. I hope Barcelona and the following shows are not cancelled and can provide some comfort and consolation for European fans after these dark days. If not I will never forget old, past, good, days
    Fenerbahçe
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,080
    edited July 1
    If less fans traveled (i.e . flying) their would be less de facto supporting of pollution. 
    So shouldn't they respect the travelling fan less for the sake of environment, and focus on the ones not travelling long distances by plane? or have a function in place to support the ones going by e.g. train a little bit extra than those polluting for the sake of the band.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,862
    Enough with these ridiculous posts. They got sick, it happens. Health is more important than a concert. Some of you people are absolutely ridiculous and sad with your comments. Yes, it sucks it happened and yes you can be disappointed and vent but you act like they did it on purpose. I’m glad they canceled, maybe they were sick of all the months and multiple threads of people complaining about seats, concert venue, concert time, song selection, T shirt quality etc etc etc.  it’s just a concert, people have real problems and this ain’t one. Post covid world is unstable, it’s called life. Deal with it. Are you happy you started another thread??
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,488
    If everyone just went to the nearest show instead of travel if they cancel you lose nothing really 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    If everyone just went to the nearest show instead of travel if they cancel you lose nothing really 
    With them playing so few shows, and mostly in central Europe - that isn't true. If they would play a standard European tour then "most" (not all ) would be able to get to something a bit closer at least.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Enough with these ridiculous posts. They got sick, it happens. Health is more important than a concert. Some of you people are absolutely ridiculous and sad with your comments. Yes, it sucks it happened and yes you can be disappointed and vent but you act like they did it on purpose. I’m glad they canceled, maybe they were sick of all the months and multiple threads of people complaining about seats, concert venue, concert time, song selection, T shirt quality etc etc etc.  it’s just a concert, people have real problems and this ain’t one. Post covid world is unstable, it’s called life. Deal with it. Are you happy you started another thread??
    I never said they did it on purpose. Read again!

Thanks for your meaningless post anyway
  • severinlseverinl Posts: 30
    Well, Berlin *WAS* the nearest show and I still had to fly in and book hotels... Since they did not reschedule the last cancelled show I was at, Vienna, which actually was in my hometown.

But yeah, the result will be much less travel, but I'm not sure either the band or the fans will like that very much... 
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,862
    edited July 1
    just_one said:

Im sorry your special bond was broken.
    just_one said:

Im sorry your special bond was broken.
    Dont be a smart ass , its pretty clear im not in the minority here and that there are loads of people giving up travelling to see them play because they've became unreliable 
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,043
    just_one said:
    English is not my first languague so bare with me...As a fan who was at vienna in 2022 and now has tickets for london,berlin,Barcelona,Madrid and lisbon i've got to say this.

Something has to change within the band to avoid these waves of cancellations.

If eddie was feeling ill he should never sang in Manchester plain and simple. Cancelling that show might have saved the rest of the tour but they went head full knowing the consequences for the remaining of the tour. 

They know a lot of people travel from all over the world to see the band play, they have to protect themselfs better. Like eddie not coming down to the rail for example.

There so many bands even bigger bands that have way worse scheduling tours and none of them have this happenning to them. Its just unexclusable at this point.

Unfortunally this will be the last time we are travelling to see them play, they just became way to unreliable , it hurts to write this but its the truth. Its been 7 days since manchester , and it will be 11 days when barcelona comes, somehow i really hope they perform in Barcelona because lets be realistic here...what kind of sickness takes 11 freaking days to get better? That being said i've lost all hope for barcelona, yes im leaving for barcelona on the 4th but with no hope for them to show up at all.

Im just sad this will be the last time so many fans are giving up travelling to see the band(im not the minority) , they really broke that special bond , there is not trust anymore ....

In all honesty, when they took the stage in Manchester Ed sounded pretty good initially......Of the Girl, into present tense......at no point there did I notice anything amiss........it was about 5-6 songs in I observed the start of the struggle. 
    Why play Given to Fly, Once, SOLAt etc if you know the voice is shaky
  • BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,292
    So the crowd can sing most of them
    Good question, I guess when Ed wrote the setlist he was feeling ok. It could have been changed, but he pulled it off fairly well all considered. But yes I totally get your point here. 

I was hoping for more DM tracks but we did go towards the really long jams, and solos and huge singalong tracks too.......I think the issue definitely deteriorated fast on the night and perhaps took him by surprise. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,425
    You are glad they cancelled? 
  • kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 722
    I AM going to the nearest show. It requires a 6 hour train ride. They don’t play enough places anymore for this to be a realistic option.
    I drove 7 hours I understand. 
    If the tour was a few more places like before. Amsterdam.  Italy.  Added. 
    In Manchester I only met a hand full of English people. Most had come from USA and around Europe. USA has a tour yet many many Americans were there and doing the whole euro run
    That's a big loss that i don't think they will under take again.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    There isn't an easy solution 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,900
    PJNB said:
    You are glad they cancelled? 
    I was going to say…
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
    Its just a case of the rough and the smooth......

chances are over time there will be more smooth than rough, we've just had a tough run recently. 

I mean the USA leg 1 went fantastically well. 
  • SpartanacusSpartanacus Posts: 828
    severinl said:

And we don't know if there might be more than one member sick, maybe even with the date of infection spread out a bit. 

Assuming it's covid, and assuming Ed has had it before at least once (I had it twice and the 2nd time was a piece of cake compared to the first - which I caught at Ohana AFTER testing negative btw)...unless it's running through all of them at different times, yeah, 11 days and you should be more than good to go.

And even if they're not 100% or even if they still test positive for covid...pump yourself up with some good Biden State of the Union PEDs, and play a special sit down acoustic show with some great rarities thrown in.  You think the fans would bitch more about that than a total cancellation?  Nope.  

Be extra smart.  Be extra healthy.  Take extra precautions.  Stop testing for covid.  Take it easy and play on no matter what (if Ed has a voice and Mike has two arms).  There's too much invested from the fans for anything less.
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • seanclaxseanclax Posts: 546
    severinl said:

Cancel the show you didn't have tickets for lol
    pdalowsky said:
    Its just a case of the rough and the smooth......

chances are over time there will be more smooth than rough, we've just had a tough run recently. 

I mean the USA leg 1 went fantastically well. 
    I agree the cancellations are just what they are it doesn't bother me. It's sad for everyone I know but it's life.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,763

I have never quite understood why fans pay thousands of dollars for travel and hotels to see Pearl Jam concerts. I have done so in the US for Ohana or other festivals, but that involves three days of music. I may be biased since I live in the Northeast US, but I still do not get it.
    Get_Right said:

I have never quite understood why fans pay thousands of dollars for travel and hotels to see Pearl Jam concerts. I have done so in the US for Ohana or other festivals, but that involves three days of music. I may be biased since I live in the Northeast US, but I still do not get it.
    If you understand it for Ohana or other festivals, I'm pretty sure you do understand it
    Get_Right said:

some fans live in markets that do not get shows. Nothing in Japan since 95? or Asia generally, nothing in Australia for ten years? South Americans are passionate for the band. 

I fully understand putting together a trip to see them. How many more chances will we get moving forward? Live with No regrets
This discussion has been closed.