Options

Family/friends that are Tr*mp supporters?

We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 522
How many of you have people in your life that support him?

I'm guessing I'm not the only one that deplores him but also has people in his life that somehow still support him.

How have/did/do you deal with those people?

Over the past few years, I have been removing people that support him from my life.

Some have been fringe relationships/acquaintances/not much more than social media friends.

Some have been difficult decisions, because:

- I was close to them
- They're smart enough to know better

I feel like the next few months are going to test a few of the remaining relationships I have w/some of his supporters. I'm hopeful that they've finally realized that 4 more years of him would be the absolute worst-case scenario.

And you would think that, as adults, we'd be able to have an intelligent conversation about it, but it rarely happens.
May your days be long, til kingdom come.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org

Comments

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,484
    I have people in my life with crazy hard right and hard left politics where I generally just don't bring it up and we manage fine. When I think about the people I've drifted from they tend to be kooky or exhausting on other stuff too and the politics is just one piece of it. I'd only draw a hard line with someone who is storming the capital or a govt building, vandalizing a synagogue, etc etc.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,198
    I don’t have any close relationship with an avid Trump supporter. But I certainly have people around me that will vote for him. Haven’t cut anyone out of my life for that, hard to see that I ever would. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,451
    I have people that I think vote for him but we try not to talk about it when we get together each month.  If it’s brought up, and I know it’s going to go sideways, I loudly change the subject.  

Outside of these five people above my way of dealing is “if I can hear you then you’re going to hear me”. This includes relatives and strangers..then if they start repeating his lies I try to show them the truth then they’ll walk away.  I discovered a long time ago to not waste a lot, if any, time on them.  Most trump supporters can’t be reasoned with. 
  • Options

I'm guessing I'm not the only one that deplores him but also has people in his life that somehow still support him.

Over the past few years, I have been removing people that support him from my life.

Some have been fringe relationships/acquaintances/not much more than social media friends.

- I was close to them

I feel like the next few months are going to test a few of the remaining relationships I have w/some of his supporters. I'm hopeful that they've finally realized that 4 more years of him would be the absolute worst-case scenario.

And you would think that, as adults, we'd be able to have an intelligent conversation about it, but it rarely happens.
    Isn’t this the truth.  Really makes you wonder about people.  
  • Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,971
    I'm guessing here, however I think about half of my social circle (family, friends, coworkers) have voted for Trump at least once in the past.  I used to argue with people, but have found it to be a waste of time.  They generally don't listen to what I have to say, don't obtain their news from reading, and I suspect some of them even try to distance themselves from the person they were when they voted for him.  Nowadays, if anyone wants to say anything to me about politics, I'll listen, and then change the subject when they stop talking.  
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,198
    I'm still a registered republican but haven't voted for a GOP nominee since GWB's first election. I would have voted for McCain if not for Palin but I'm glad Obama won as he will likely be the greatest president of our lifetime.

Romney would have been fine. Funny how the GOP has kicked him to the curb.

I disengage from anyone I come in contact with that is a rabid tRump supporter. Mostly those have been old high school friends on FB that I didn't really have much personal contact with.

My brother and sister in law are the only rabid family members that support him. It's funny how you can have a relatively normal conversation and then it turns on a dime with some stupid comment (usually from my BIL) that turns it political. The last time it was that Biden was trying to outlaw plastic wrapped cheese slices. 

It is impossible to debate or have any type of meaningful back and forth with a magat. They live in their own fucked up reality because their fucked up news sources feed them garbage that they believe without question.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,246
    Just like certain factions of democrats, it is impossible to reach them.

A lot of politics in our country are cultural or family-based, so it does no good purpose, as frustrating as it is, to engage in any discussions with Trump supporters.

They just will not see it the dems we do.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,315

- I was close to them

i have cut many of them out of my life. it was difficult at first because of my history with those people, but as time goes on it is easier knowing that i do not have to depend on any of them for anything. if they cannot make the right decision after all we have seen the last 9 years i can't ever trust them to make the right decision on anything else. i have a small circle and the ones that are left i trust wholeheartedly without hesitation. the trumpers that were in my life are so far gone there is no bringing them back.

as far as the next few months, if they are still voting for trump then i will have no association with them. its that simple to me. knowing that there are people close to me that want to take women's right away, want to deport all illegal immigrants, want to harm the lgbtq community, they can fuck off. i have no place in my life for people like that.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    And if they are family or someone important at work that you work closely with?
  • Options
    Cults tell you to cut out family and friends for The Cause
  • Options
    If you don't like someone in your life for any reason, by all means do what you have to do. But it's red flag city when it's presented as positive signaling to a group.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    LOL...no cult told me anything. If you start spewing stupid bullshit at me I don't need a cult to tell me you are ignorant and don't deserve my attention.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,357
    pjl44 said:
    Good thing liberals aren't promoting that on a large scale. The only political cult I see are red hat wearing, flag flying, rally attending Trumpers. It's beyond crazy at this point. Bowman getting the boot for his nonsense is just another sign that both sides are not the same.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,410
    If someone still supports that guy after an attempted coup, I view that support as a major character flaw. This is not a matter of policy differences: I have tremendous respect for Liz Cheney even though I dislike many of her policy views, because she sees preserving democratic norms as our top priority.

As for family and friends, again, continued support for that guy is a major character flaw, as is racism, a history of domestic abuse, and a proclivity for criminal behavior. I ended a friendship with a "birther" years ago, well before 2016; they were quite literally screaming at me, unprovoked, about Obama's college transcripts. I am pretty tolerant of quirky behavior -- I have my own quirks, after all -- but I have zero patience for people screaming and shrieking at me about conspiracy theories when I'm just trying to have coffee and a pastry.

I've also cut contact with family. In MAGA, the cruelty is the point. I was raised in an environment like that: violence masquerading as toughness; paranoia; double standards for laws, ethics, and behavior; irrational fear of "others;" and years -- years -- of my mother screeching "What about BENGHAZI?!?" I avoid those people for the good of my children and myself; my only regret is that I didn't cut ties sooner.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    If you don't like someone in your life for any reason, by all means do what you have to do. But it's red flag city when it's presented as positive signaling to a group.
    so it is a red flag when i don't want to hang out with someone who in a public setting constantly brings up how great trump is and how stupid democrats are, and is constantly lying about the state of the country?

ok then. maybe if these people did not make trumpism their entire personality i could deal with them, but i can't, and i won't.

judge me all you want, i don't give a shit. 

so because i subscribe to reality and not trumpism, that makes ME the one in the cult?? Lmao, ok dude.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    And if they are family or someone important at work that you work closely with?
    same. keep that trump loving, america hating crap away from me in my personal life. they can do them, i am just not going to be a part of it.

• Options
    If someone still supports that guy after an attempted coup, I view that support as a major character flaw. This is not a matter of policy differences: I have tremendous respect for Liz Cheney even though I dislike many of her policy views, because she sees preserving democratic norms as our top priority.

As for family and friends, again, continued support for that guy is a major character flaw, as is racism, a history of domestic abuse, and a proclivity for criminal behavior. I ended a friendship with a "birther" years ago, well before 2016; they were quite literally screaming at me, unprovoked, about Obama's college transcripts. I am pretty tolerant of quirky behavior -- I have my own quirks, after all -- but I have zero patience for people screaming and shrieking at me about conspiracy theories when I'm just trying to have coffee and a pastry.

I've also cut contact with family. In MAGA, the cruelty is the point. I was raised in an environment like that: violence masquerading as toughness; paranoia; double standards for laws, ethics, and behavior; irrational fear of "others;" and years -- years -- of my mother screeching "What about BENGHAZI?!?" I avoid those people for the good of my children and myself; my only regret is that I didn't cut ties sooner.
    you hit the nail on the head...makes no sense

• Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,410

you hit the nail on the head...makes no sense

Despite some attempts to paint me as a "lib," I'm an agnostic centrist. I welcome a good policy debate and diversity of opinion. I believe our country needs to have multiple healthy political parties.

That said, I get to choose who I associate with. If you're a liar; if you cheat on or abuse your spouse; if you beat your dog; if you have attempted to overthrow the government; if you're a racist or a misogynist; if you cheat on your taxes or commit social security fraud: I just don't want to hang out with you.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,846
    I haven't cut anyone out and I don't think anyone's cut me out. But there's some unspoken growing distance that just sort of "happened," I think.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    Good thing liberals aren't promoting that on a large scale. The only political cult I see are red hat wearing, flag flying, rally attending Trumpers. It's beyond crazy at this point. Bowman getting the boot for his nonsense is just another sign that both sides are not the same.

It's literally the premise of the post. To your other point though yeah it's not a uniquely left thing. And while it's good that Bowman is gone, Steve King got primaried out last cycle. We still have the Tlaibs, Gosars, Omars, and MTGs kicking around.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,357
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:

It's literally the premise of the post. To your other point though yeah it's not a uniquely left thing. And while it's good that Bowman is gone, Steve King got primaried out last cycle. We still have the Tlaibs, Gosars, Omars, and MTGs kicking around.
    I read it as a talking point and inquiry to how people are navigating it in their personal life. I didn't see anything in the post telling people what to do or that it's what should be done. It has just kind of happened for most of us I presume, at least with the outspoken die hards who have to make everything political. I can't stand those types of people no matter what their stance is and MAGAs are the absolute worst. Flying fuck your feelings and fuck Biden flags, along with let's go Brandon stickers and Trump 2024 the revenge tour are clear indicators you're a whack job.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,164
    I’ve cut people out who rage on and on about the ills of Trudeau. Not because I’m a JT supporter, I just am not interested in socializing with people who make politics and hate their entire identity. These people, however, I wasn’t close with to start. 

Almost every person I’m close to doesn’t identify as a certain political leaning; not sure if that’s cuz we’re not American or what, but most people I know have voted for each party at one time. 

If I did have someone close that was MAGA, not sure, I guess it would depend how rabid they were about it. If it’s all they talked about, I likely would cut them out, just for my own sanity. Not because I’m against opposing viewpoints. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    OnWis97 said:
    I haven't cut anyone out and I don't think anyone's cut me out. But there's some unspoken growing distance that just sort of "happened," I think.
    This right here I think gets to the heart of my answer to the question. If you're naturally drifting from someone that tells you everything.

If you feel somewhere on the scale of slightly conflicted to agonized I think it's worth asking yourself whether you're approaching politics as a fundamentalist and making your own day to day worse.

The thing I cannot remotely relate to is eagerly/proudly/whatever telling people about the severed relationships. The whole thing is extraordinarily sad.
  • Options
    edited June 27
    The post was/is absolutely a talking point only, and didn't/doesn't advocate for any one approach.

It's become so tough to reconcile. And in my opinion, it really shouldn't be, like when my aunt, my Godmother, my late mother's only sister, tells me with a straight face that she was driving in Manhattan and saw AOC in the street, and wanted to run her over. And that's just the tip of the iceberg with most of my extended family.

Differences are one thing. Differences rooted in - among other things - delusions, misogyny, racism, sexual assault, crime. extremism, and an attempt to overthrow the government are on another level.

And I get no satisfaction from not talking to these people anymore. It breaks my heart. But these things can no longer be ignored.
    Post edited by We All Believe on

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,164
    That kind of anger is an illness. Probably rooted in fox news. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    When my aunt moved a couple of years ago, her granddaughter/my younger cousin programmed her cable box to hide Fox News lolol. It took my aunt months to figure it out.

• Options
    definitely rooted in fox news and newsmax where people get half truths or whole untruths.

there is this scrub nurse at work that i have to work in the or with a few days a week. he is an angry man. every time he brings up things like "can you believe that damn hunter biden?" and "can you believe biden and this terrible economy? it was so much better under trump" the guy is completely divorced from reality. biden's economy is the best in a long time. trump lost millions of jobs on his watch. this guy probably does not even know that. he is just angry and combative for the sake of being angry. i can't stand working with the guy, but he is a hospital employee, i am the product rep, so we are stuck with each other. he doesn't know my leanings, but the fact that i do not eagerly agree with him probably tells him i am of the opposite viewpoint.

• Options
    edited June 27
    definitely rooted in fox news and newsmax where people get half truths or whole untruths.

there is this scrub nurse at work that i have to work in the or with a few days a week. he is an angry man. every time he brings up things like "can you believe that damn hunter biden?" and "can you believe biden and this terrible economy? it was so much better under trump" the guy is completely divorced from reality. biden's economy is the best in a long time. trump lost millions of jobs on his watch. this guy probably does not even know that. he is just angry and combative for the sake of being angry. i can't stand working with the guy, but he is a hospital employee, i am the product rep, so we are stuck with each other. he doesn't know my leanings, but the fact that i do not eagerly agree with him probably tells him i am of the opposite viewpoint.
    Yeah I know what you mean...I get that from clients that come in. You just have to prepare yourself for some absolutely idiotic story that has no basis in reality. As much as those fucking idiots can't admit it any story that has teeth would be broadcast on CNN/NBC/ABC/CBS/PBS, etc., ad nauseum.

Like my story about outlawing individually wrapped pieces of cheese that my brother in law said was Biden's new thing.

I've even gotten to the point that I have told people "If it isn't on Fox News you know it isn't true" because even they won't push the extremely stupid shit.

• Options
    When my aunt moved a couple of years ago, her granddaughter/my younger cousin programmed her cable box to hide Fox News lolol. It took my aunt months to figure it out.
    That’s hysterical!
  • Options
    pjl44 said:

Difficult to cut out all my inlaws and a close work associate,  as much as I'd want to ;)