Options

TicketMaster's Fan2Fan is now Fan2Bot

Comments

• Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,873
    I like the fact that you know your seats in advance now and if life happens and you can’t make the show you’re not prevented from selling.  I also like being able to hunt for face value tickets that I would otherwise never have had a shot at.  The system isn’t perfect but I still prefer it to the mystery envelope at will call and lost money if unable to go.  The main thing I’d like to see is the ability to resell below face.

And go back to prioritizing shows, or, at the very least a show-by-show drawing.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,237
    mpedone said:
    I like the fact that you know your seats in advance now and if life happens and you can’t make the show you’re not prevented from selling.  I also like being able to hunt for face value tickets that I would otherwise never have had a shot at.  The system isn’t perfect but I still prefer it to the mystery envelope at will call and lost money if unable to go.  The main thing I’d like to see is the ability to resell below face.

And go back to prioritizing shows, or, at the very least a show-by-show drawing.
    For sure.  Eliminating priority was idiotic.  And I don’t know if it’s been proven that drawings weren’t show by show but if they weren’t that’s beyond idiotic.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    mpedone said:

For sure.  Eliminating priority was idiotic.  And I don’t know if it’s been proven that drawings weren’t show by show but if they weren’t that’s beyond idiotic.  

Proven? No, but it fits the results the best (without assuming coding errors/malfeasance).
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,221
    edited April 15
    Zod said:
    Long thread to catch up but at the end of the day...there is no way to 100% put a stop to scalpers/bots outside of unified laws and restrictions.

The current system is the best in a long time.  yes you have to be fast to get F2F.  yes it sucks that bots gobble up non-transferable tickets and put them on resale sites and sell TM login in info. Is it overwhelming and near impossible for 10c to manage - yes, can't hold it against them for not browsing those sites and revoking tickets it would be a never ending battle. it sucks more that no legislation exists to end scalping as its been a problem since the 19th century...

This still beats the crap out of of post cards and camping out overnight.

TM/Seat Geek/Vivid/Stub Hub whatever, they don't care because they charge fees based on % so they will never try to stop it. 

The rabbit hole to resolving the scalping/resale issue is deep indeed.

10C could just tell TM that F2F buyers need to have a 10C membership. Literally could be 2 boxes to verify member number and last name to prevent a bot just putting in a random number until it works. Some other kind of verification could be used if it needed to extend to non-10C members. F2F is POINTLESS if it is possible for the tickets to end up on stubhub for 3x...

At this point, with the technology we have, the only reason fans are getting boxed out is due to the greed of 1) TM and 2) the band. As much as it pains me to say that.

I think it's more complicated than that.   All Fan2Fan is, is TM's reselling platform locked into a price.    They'd probably have to spend a bunch of $$ to rewrite the code, to input 10c info, then more code to sync it into the 10c datebase.

There are never going to spend that $$ or spend that effort for a single band.

Plus all scalpers would have to do is buy a single membership.

Resellers are always going to find a way, unless there's no transferring and no reselling.

Seems fairly easy to stop the fan 2 bots buying tickets. 

All they would have to do is set up code with a couple of rules. For example, fans that want to buy F2F within the first 72 hours of a Fan2Fan ticket being posted to Ticketmaster, need to have a TM account established for at least a year and to have attended a show in the region that matches the address for which is on their account information within the last three years. Accounts with resales above face value are not valid during the first 72 hours of a F2F ticket being posted.

Plus, all of the “verification process” in the “verified onsale” should also apply here.

TM sells the tickets and scans us into shows. They have all of this info in our accounts. This stops setting up new accounts that are used only once to scalp.

This could be done very simply with code automatically for nearly free. 
    Your not answering the question of, why would ticketmaster increase the effort put into fan2fan to do this.. lol. they make zero money on fan2fan.  They can't charge additional fees like they do for reselling.   Fan2Fan was already a bare minimum thing.  It's there regular reselling portal with a fixed price.  They've already put the least amount of effort into it that they could.  I don't think there's any way TM ramps up the complexity and effort.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    JBob87JBob87 Posts: 432
    I know I'm in the minority but I detest fan to fan.

I would much rather budget over a period of months to save up for a market value ticket for a show I really want to go to then waste hours of my life F5ing with no guarantee of ever even getting a ticket. And now competing against bots.

My vote would be to go back to fully unrestricted tickets to unlock the maximum inventory possible and allow easy fan trading/direct reselling or make tickets 100% unsaleable and untransferrable to discourage people from hoarding shows they are highly unlikely to go to. 

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,221
    JBob87 said:

I would much rather budget over a period of months to save up for a market value ticket for a show I really want to go to then waste hours of my life F5ing with no guarantee of ever even getting a ticket. And now competing against bots.

My vote would be to go back to fully unrestricted tickets to unlock the maximum inventory possible and allow easy fan trading/direct reselling or make tickets 100% unsaleable and untransferrable to discourage people from hoarding shows they are highly unlikely to go to. 

yah, I don't think F5 for weeks/months on end is great, nor the disposableness of tickets when you can throw them back into the pot without losing money.   I still don't think I'd want to see open season on 10c tickets.

Maybe go back to the 2018 for 10c tickets (no fan2fan, you can transfer 1 ticket, no transfers), but leave it as a free for all for non-10c tickets?
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,212
    JBob87 said:

The option of paying a higher price is available to you on stubhub and with "PJ Premium" 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,138
    Zod said:
    Zod said:
    Long thread to catch up but at the end of the day...there is no way to 100% put a stop to scalpers/bots outside of unified laws and restrictions.

The current system is the best in a long time.  yes you have to be fast to get F2F.  yes it sucks that bots gobble up non-transferable tickets and put them on resale sites and sell TM login in info. Is it overwhelming and near impossible for 10c to manage - yes, can't hold it against them for not browsing those sites and revoking tickets it would be a never ending battle. it sucks more that no legislation exists to end scalping as its been a problem since the 19th century...

This still beats the crap out of of post cards and camping out overnight.

TM/Seat Geek/Vivid/Stub Hub whatever, they don't care because they charge fees based on % so they will never try to stop it. 

The rabbit hole to resolving the scalping/resale issue is deep indeed.

10C could just tell TM that F2F buyers need to have a 10C membership. Literally could be 2 boxes to verify member number and last name to prevent a bot just putting in a random number until it works. Some other kind of verification could be used if it needed to extend to non-10C members. F2F is POINTLESS if it is possible for the tickets to end up on stubhub for 3x...

At this point, with the technology we have, the only reason fans are getting boxed out is due to the greed of 1) TM and 2) the band. As much as it pains me to say that.

I think it's more complicated than that.   All Fan2Fan is, is TM's reselling platform locked into a price.    They'd probably have to spend a bunch of $$ to rewrite the code, to input 10c info, then more code to sync it into the 10c datebase.

There are never going to spend that $$ or spend that effort for a single band.

Plus all scalpers would have to do is buy a single membership.

Resellers are always going to find a way, unless there's no transferring and no reselling.

Seems fairly easy to stop the fan 2 bots buying tickets. 

All they would have to do is set up code with a couple of rules. For example, fans that want to buy F2F within the first 72 hours of a Fan2Fan ticket being posted to Ticketmaster, need to have a TM account established for at least a year and to have attended a show in the region that matches the address for which is on their account information within the last three years. Accounts with resales above face value are not valid during the first 72 hours of a F2F ticket being posted.

Plus, all of the “verification process” in the “verified onsale” should also apply here.

TM sells the tickets and scans us into shows. They have all of this info in our accounts. This stops setting up new accounts that are used only once to scalp.

This could be done very simply with code automatically for nearly free. 
    Your not answering the question of, why would ticketmaster increase the effort put into fan2fan to do this.. lol. they make zero money on fan2fan.  They can't charge additional fees like they do for reselling.   Fan2Fan was already a bare minimum thing.  It's there regular reselling portal with a fixed price.  They've already put the least amount of effort into it that they could.  I don't think there's any way TM ramps up the complexity and effort.

I get it, I am commenting in the center of a great bands universe. The problem with that comment, is PJ has taken responsibility for F2F. 

Despite however much we love them, if their stated goal is to give fans a viable option to have access to tickets without scalpers, there is minimum amount of effort required by their organization. They gave us their word, lol. My suggestions could be implemented fairly easily. PJ decided to take responsibility for the program, there is solid evidence their ideas and multiple steps taken to preventing scalpers are incorrect, and there are fairly simple solutions that could be implemented. for the last two months, they should have been viewing the broker sites and screaming at TM as to what eff is going on

The artist
    wants to give fans, not scalpers, the best chance to buy tickets at face value. To help achieve this, the tour will be using Ticketmaster's Face Value Exchange where, if needed, you can resell your ticket to other fans at the original price paid. To help protect the Exchange, Pearl Jam has also chosen to make tickets for this tour mobile only and restricted from transfer.”
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,070
    JBob87 said:

I think fully unrestricted is a bad idea. Incentivizes scalpers (or existing 10C members with no compunction about scalping) to flood the 10C lottery. Reduces our chances of getting 10C tickets considerably.
  • Options
    runstaplesrunstaples NC/WY Posts: 203
    Just missed section 2 for Baltimore, hope someone here got them!
    Appeared to be an animal, yet so polite.
  • Options
    SHZA said:
    JBob87 said:

The option of paying a higher price is available to you on stubhub and with "PJ Premium" 
    I would be very wary of buying non-transferrable tix on Stubhub. I had to use their customer support last year when a seller didn't transfer tickets and it left a lot to be desired to say the least. I was refunded but wouldn't have gotten in to the show if I didn't find someone at the bar with an extra.

And PJ Premium is not the same thing because it is a completely manipulated market by TM. I have no doubt the average show (i.e. not MSG or Philly) like say Portland would have much lower prices in a true open market than PJ Premium as evidenced by the fact that PJ Premium almost inevitably crashes as we get close to the show.
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,212
    JBob87 said:
    SHZA said:
    JBob87 said:

I would be very wary of buying non-transferrable tix on Stubhub. I had to use their customer support last year when a seller didn't transfer tickets and it left a lot to be desired to say the least. I was refunded but wouldn't have gotten in to the show if I didn't find someone at the bar with an extra.

And PJ Premium is not the same thing because it is a completely manipulated market by TM. I have no doubt the average show (i.e. not MSG or Philly) like say Portland would have much lower prices in a true open market than PJ Premium as evidenced by the fact that PJ Premium almost inevitably crashes as we get close to the show.
    Stubhub prices tend to crash as we get close to the show as well. The market rate changes.  That's just the nature of a product that becomes worthless after the expiration date. There can be hiccups with using third party sites but the option that you say you want is available to you in multiple formats
  • Options
    SHZA said:
    JBob87 said:
    SHZA said:
    JBob87 said:

Stubhub prices tend to crash as we get close to the show as well. The market rate changes.  That's just the nature of a product that becomes worthless after the expiration date. There can be hiccups with using third party sites but the option that you say you want is available to you in multiple formats
    The market is highly manipulated right now both by TM and lack of open resale, so while the "option is available" it is likely more expensive than it would be in a completely open market. The ideal option would be a direct transfer set up with either a friend or someone on social media which is also not available. 

Like I said, I know many like Fan 2 Fan. But IMO it is the worst of both worlds.
  • Options
    JBob87 said:
    SHZA said:
    JBob87 said:

It’s very tempting to”buy” tickets on stub hub or from one of the broker sites (in some cases, much better prices than PJ Premium, go figure) , considering how difficult F2F has been, but like you said, these companies really do not have “inventory” they are simply relying on claims that any person has extra tickets to sell on its platform. Hopefully they have steep penalties to prevent this from happening.

Saying that, about 6.20 PM EDT, saw a single GA for Philly N2. Hope someone here got it. It was gone by the time I saw it.
  • Options
    MM70435MM70435 Posts: 247
    - I admire everyone that has the patience to continue battling the bots.  I gave up a while ago.  I never had the patience for F2F anyway.
    - Every time I see the word bots used I think of the Go Bots.  The early precursor to the transformers.
    - If these reselling companies really don't have "inventory", then who is actually behind the bots anyway?  I always assumed that the reselling sites were the ones controlling the bots.
    - Has there ever been GA tickets on these reselling sites in the past?  I never paid too much attention before but don't remember ever seeing any.
    00 - Atlanta                                            10 - MSG I&II    
    03 - Birmingham, Atlanta                       22 - L̶a̶s̶ ̶V̶e̶g̶a̶s̶, Camden, Nashville   
    04 - Asheville, Kissimmee                     23 -  Ft Worth II                                                                                
    08 - Tampa, Columbia                           24 - LA I&II, Philadelphia I&II, Baltimore?
    09 - Atlanta I&II (EV)
                    " if hope could grow from dirt like me. It can be done.
  • Options
    MM70435 said:
    - I admire everyone that has the patience to continue battling the bots.  I gave up a while ago.  I never had the patience for F2F anyway.
    - Every time I see the word bots used I think of the Go Bots.  The early precursor to the transformers.
    - If these reselling companies really don't have "inventory", then who is actually behind the bots anyway?  I always assumed that the reselling sites were the ones controlling the bots.
    - Has there ever been GA tickets on these reselling sites in the past?  I never paid too much attention before but don't remember ever seeing any.

The brokers  do have inventory, but there is a lot of cross posting of tickets. So I think I may have bought a pair on stub hub, but you grabbed them first on Gotix.

im with you, I can tolerate 5 mins toggling on FtoF, but the exercise seems long odds.
  • Options
    MM70435 said:

I think GA used to be pretty much exclusive to 10C, right? So, any GA tickets that popped up on secondary sites before F2F were being sold by 10C members, and subject to action from the club. Now, someone might sell their GA tickets for face on F2F only to see the buyer turn around and put them on a secondary site at a considerable markup (which is the main reason we'll never see p2p sales with this current structure - way too easy for someone unscrupulous to "sell" the tickets to a non-member (themselves with a different account, or someone related to them) who is no longer bound by club rules to resell at face).

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Just wait. Tix will be available for most shows. Stick to the forum. People always have extras at the last minute. If you are traveling and want a guaranteed MSG ticket, you might have to pay stubhub prices. But wait, the shows are a long way off. Do not buy into the TM bullshit now.
  • Options
    edited April 17
    Get_Right said:
    Just wait. Tix will be available for most shows. Stick to the forum. People always have extras at the last minute. If you are traveling and want a guaranteed MSG ticket, you might have to pay stubhub prices. But wait, the shows are a long way off. Do not buy into the TM bullshit now.

I have hotel holds for two of the east shows, but they usually expire 48 hours before the show, so it can be very difficult to wait until last minute. And it’s not just TM spewing the bs, when one reads the fan club tour release information.

Very punitive for them to dangle seats at unrealistic platinum prices that just sit there for months with no downward movement in prices, $500 - $700 (MSG $1500)  instead of ten c honoring their word (10% inventory at market  rates).
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,538
    I've always wondered if our constant TM ticket hunting is what's keeping the premium prices where they are? Like, some TM algorithm is saying, "wow, there's still a ton of viewers here, someone is sure to buy the premium seats soon enough!?" 
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    LS164963LS164963 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 137
    It's more along the lines of "Wow, there's a ton of viewers here, and they're not taking the bait on these overpriced premium seats.. We're gonna have to start lowering prices soon. We keep playing their game by the book.
  • Options
    So far today I have missed without even being able to cart:

LA1 Floor 
    Phil2 GA
    Phil1 Uppers
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

• Options
    ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 634
    It is really frustrating that tickets are "uncartable" as soon as they appear.  Makes me suspicious of bot interference.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • Options
    LS164963LS164963 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 137
    So far today I have missed without even being able to cart:

LA1 Floor 
    Phil2 GA
    Phil1 Uppers
    Send you a PM for LA1
  • Options
    Also got U504 a while ago on LA GA.  

• Options
    lafrancem1lafrancem1 Posts: 8
    Looking for 2 for Philly N1 thru F2F but no luck since it opened.
  • Options
    LS164963 said:
    It's more along the lines of "Wow, there's a ton of viewers here, and they're not taking the bait on these overpriced premium seats.. We're gonna have to start lowering prices soon. We keep playing their game by the book.
    And theyre still holding back fan to fan bot for Fenway and Wrigley. Four stadium shows with tickets moving inventory should move things along. So disheartening to see this level of manipulation of market rates
  • Options
    Just listed a semi decent LV1 in 23 V.  

• Options
    Crazy LarryCrazy Larry Posts: 182
    missed out on LA floor as well. 
  • Options
    craigraethercraigraether Posts: 1,175
    missed out on LA floor as well. 
    Can you Cart any tickets? I tried many F2F and all say choose another ticket- something is up with TM