Options

psst...01/31/2024

Comments

• Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,499
    se7v7en said:
    matt84 said:
    bazfromoz said:
    I still haven’t been able to accept Gigaton as part of the PJ album family. Just can’t resonate with it. 
    Same. My least favourite by far.
    I'm amazed so many seem to feel that way, but that is because it is by far my favorite Pearl Jam album.  I have probably listened to it over 500 times, many of the listens on long distance runs and that's when it really does something special for me.  There is something about the cohesive overarching and continually building messages of resilience and hope that make it such a great running album for me.
    I'm with you. It's not my favorite album, but I love it. The only negative about it for me is that I associate it with a very stressful time, as many others here have also said, because I was listening to it every day for months as the pandemic was unfolding.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    Kearn5y said:
    eboweddie said:
    I listened to Avocado yesterday.  First Time in ages. My god it's a brilliant piece of work.  Forgot how good it is 
    Avocado, for me is their best album since Yield. 
    This.
    26/ 05/ 00 -Velodomo Anoeta -San Sebastián.
    02/ 09/ 06 -Azkena Rock Festival- Vitoria -Gasteiz.
    09/ 07/ 10 - BBK live -Bilbao.
    10/ 07/ 18 -Palau Sant jordi -Barcelona.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,888
    edited February 1
    so bizarre. I love gigaton. I feel like it's even more polarizing than BS
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,000
    I'm good with it...I put it above BS and LB
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,182
    I'm good with it...I put it above BS and LB
    Me too. Maybe not above LB. But maybe above LB. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    djjazzy276djjazzy276 Posts: 219
    se7v7en said:

I'm amazed so many seem to feel that way, but that is because it is by far my favorite Pearl Jam album.  I have probably listened to it over 500 times, many of the listens on long distance runs and that's when it really does something special for me.  There is something about the cohesive overarching and continually building messages of resilience and hope that make it such a great running album for me.
    Well, my friend, count me in the same boat (for the most part). Is it my favorite album of theirs? I think Yield still holds that distinction, but I've found "my favorite PJ record" to be constantly in flux. For me, Gigaton was the first album of theirs in a while that felt really cohesive and took me on a journey. I think part of the reason I connected with it in this way was also through running. When the world shut down, going out to log a few miles was one of the few ways I could get out and about and feel somewhat normal. It's an incredible running album in my opinion. During the breakdown and build up of Who Ever Said or all of Superblood Wolfmoon, the vocal layering on DOTC to the all out bombast of Quick Escape, those first four songs in particular let to some quick paces for me. I've probably listened to that album more while running than in any other setting. Nice to hear you feel the same.
  • Options
    StrykerStryker Upstate, NY Posts: 585
    I just hope we get Buckle Up II: The Unbuckling on this new album.
  • Options
    smile6680smile6680 Posts: 353
    Kearn5y said:
    eboweddie said:
    I listened to Avocado yesterday.  First Time in ages. My god it's a brilliant piece of work.  Forgot how good it is 
    Avocado, for me is their best album since Yield. I remember the day it was released, sneaking out of work in Ranelagh to get the bus into town to HMV to get a copy. Picked up 10,000 Days by Tool as well. Inside Job is the best song. Makes a great opener too. 
    Yes it does. good song/album
  • Options
    Scot ConantScot Conant Michigan Posts: 74
    Stryker said:

Perfect. Followed by Bugs: The Reckoning.

10/16/14 - Detroit * 04/29/16 - TENadelphia * 10/20/16 - Chicago * 10/22/16 - Chicago * 10/18/18 - Chicago * 10/20/18 - Chicago * 09/16/22 - Nashville * 09/17/22 - Louisville * 09/07/23 - Chicago * 09/10/23 - Noblesville (Postponed)
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,499
    Stryker said:
    If you thought the sponge baths in "Buckle Up" sounded erotic, you're going to be very excited for "The Unbuckling."

(Although if you thought the sponge baths in "Buckle Up" sounded erotic, you are a sick, sick human being...)
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    se7v7en said:

Well, my friend, count me in the same boat (for the most part). Is it my favorite album of theirs? I think Yield still holds that distinction, but I've found "my favorite PJ record" to be constantly in flux. For me, Gigaton was the first album of theirs in a while that felt really cohesive and took me on a journey. I think part of the reason I connected with it in this way was also through running. When the world shut down, going out to log a few miles was one of the few ways I could get out and about and feel somewhat normal. It's an incredible running album in my opinion. During the breakdown and build up of Who Ever Said or all of Superblood Wolfmoon, the vocal layering on DOTC to the all out bombast of Quick Escape, those first four songs in particular let to some quick paces for me. I've probably listened to that album more while running than in any other setting. Nice to hear you feel the same.
    That boat better hold three....cause I am in it as well.  Listened to the hell out of it on long runs....
  • Options
    djjazzy276djjazzy276 Posts: 219
    se7v7en said:

That boat better hold three....cause I am in it as well.  Listened to the hell out of it on long runs....
    Pearl Jam Run Club?
  • Options
    yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,666
    matt84 said:
    bazfromoz said:
    I still haven’t been able to accept Gigaton as part of the PJ album family. Just can’t resonate with it. 
    Same. My least favourite by far.
    Agreed that the first half is much stronger than the second. But still better than BS. 
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 604
    se7v7en said:

Completely agree on the cohesiveness or 'full album vibe'. It's my favorite 'album' of theirs since Yield. I'll also say that it's good that so many have different opinions on their albums.
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,214
    I love Acocado and Gigaton! For me, both so good. Big fan of Backspacer as well. Lightning Bolt is the only album that I rarely listen to (love some tracks live though!).
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,526
    I feel like the albums should be grouped together....

Ten and Vs
    Then the transition period...Vitalogy-No Code-Yield
    (I almost feel like Binaural is tied more to Yield, but...)
    Then the First Cameron Phase...Binaural-Riot Act-Avocado
    Then the Modern Phase...Backspacer-Lightning Bolt-Gigaton

Of those phases, I think I like the Vitalogy-Yield era the best.  But I like all of them in their own right.  

I think this new album kicks off a new phase, with Watt and Klinghoffer
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 636
    edited February 1
    BF25394 said:
    ZoSoTim said:
    BF25394 said:
    ZoSoTim said:
    I don’t have a physical copy of Gigaton because I don’t like the album. 
    You don't like the album because you don't have a physical copy of it. :)
    That’s not how it works. 
    But does it resignate with you? :)

I was being facetious with my reply, but I think sometimes that is how it works (although not perhaps in your specific case). In the "old days," when people had to pay money to hear a full album, they were literally invested in it in a way that they aren't when they merely stream it as part of a subscription. This usually meant that people would give anything they bought and owned a lot more attention than they might give it now. Now, if someone streams something-- even if it's by an artist that they love with a long track record of making music they love-- and it doesn't grab them in one or two listens, they move on to the next thing from out of the practically infinite menu of options available to them.

(Some of this is also a function of aging. People have a lot more time when they're 18 or 21 or 25 to immerse themselves in an album than they do when they're 35 or 45 with job and family demands. And also, for those of us who 17 in 1992, the world had a lot less to distract us then than it does now.
    I’m old school in that I will always get a physical copy of albums I love. Before the vinyl resurgence I was mocked for still buying CD’s. There are some bands/artists that I will blindly order anything they release. As much as I love PJ they haven’t always been on that list for me. Maybe someday Gigaton will grow on me like Binaural or Riot Act but as of now it just doesn’t click with me. I’m sure at some point I’ll give it another listen and see if my opinion has changed. 
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,000
    Vedd Hedd said:
    I feel like the albums should be grouped together....

Ten and Vs
    Then the transition period...Vitalogy-No Code-Yield
    (I almost feel like Binaural is tied more to Yield, but...)
    Then the First Cameron Phase...Binaural-Riot Act-Avocado
    Then the Modern Phase...Backspacer-Lightning Bolt-Gigaton

Of those phases, I think I like the Vitalogy-Yield era the best.  But I like all of them in their own right.  

I think this new album kicks off a new phase, with Watt and Klinghoffer
    Makes sense. It does seem like there was a shift after Avocado. I always looked at it as a point where it might have become a chore to get together and put out an album. BS just seems rushed to me and more like an EV solo album. LB gets back to business a bit more...we know that pendulum was originally a BS track so those albums connect to me.

Gigaton seemed like more of a band effort. Of course I could be way off.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,182
    They are grouped like this

First period:
    Ten-Riot Act

The a bit more harsh sounding and digitally recorded period:
    Avocado-Lightning Bolt

First single is made on a synth period:
    Gigaton

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,819
    Did I miss something I don't see anything that is up or posted by the band 

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
  • Options
    just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 1,987
    24 h ago we had our first clue...had hopes for another psst today
  • Options
    yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,666
    They are grouped like this…

Gigaton

Haha
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• Options
    JD87070JD87070 Posts: 153
    I kinda go back and forth on all these later albums really. Gigaton hasn’t hit with me yet, but to be fair i haven’t given it all that much of a chance for whatever reason (Covid era, my own other health issues at the time it came out, etc). LB i loved at first, now when i listen it’s kinda meh, has some high points and not a lot of low points, but nothing that really stands out for me. BS is the opposite, didn’t like it at first and several songs i still absolutely don’t like, then there’s Unthought Known and Just Breathe that are among my favorite songs of theirs. Avacado is similar to LB for me, Inside Job is another of my favorites, but so much of that album was topical to that particular time that i don’t think it’s aged all that well.
  • Options
    treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,819
    edited February 1
    I love Gigaton and the previous Albums everyone. 
    You just need to listen again. 
    Peace and blessings on all
    I assume tour and Album is imminent 

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
  • Options
    dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 360
    So how many unique write ups  have we seen from yesterday? Spin, and one other that’s been circulated among other outlets?

id have thought there’d be many more given all the industry folk and rock journalists who were reportedly in attendance. 

Or, maybe this really was like a friends and family affair not meant to be part of the build up/hype. In that case, it could be a lot longer before more news comes out. Maybe we are just assuming that this listening event was the beginning of the rollout, and it was really just a get together with folks who are close to the band.
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,351
    dwjmu84 said:
    So how many unique write ups  have we seen from yesterday? Spin, and one other that’s been circulated among other outlets?

id have thought there’d be many more given all the industry folk and rock journalists who were reportedly in attendance. 

Or, maybe this really was like a friends and family affair not meant to be part of the build up/hype. In that case, it could be a lot longer before more news comes out. Maybe we are just assuming that this listening event was the beginning of the rollout, and it was really just a get together with folks who are close to the band.
    I have no doubt that Jonathan Cohen will write a more detailed review of the record eventually for Spin.  I dont think the band wants that info out though until around the time of the record release.  I'm sure other media members in attendance will also have their reviews but again those won't be out in print until around the date of the record release.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    GarasaurasGarasauras Ontario Posts: 231
    dwjmu84 said:

I have no doubt that Jonathan Cohen will write a more detailed review of the record eventually for Spin.  I dont think the band wants that info out though until around the time of the record release.  I'm sure other media members in attendance will also have their reviews but again those won't be out in print until around the date of the record release.
    I think this is the bands way of creating hype, and to get everyone talking. Inviting press, friends, fans etc for an early listen, it’s marketing 101. We’re already proof that it’s working. I’m sure the more detailed reviews will come. Everyone is talking about it now. I don’t see why they’d want to limit people from talking about it. I loved hearing the YouTube review from pjtourkid. It was great to hear from a fan’s perspective. 

Back in the day they’d send out promo copies to media. Now they can’t because of file sharing. So same idea, but this way they control who hears it first. There’s no doubt that this event was intended to wet the appetite. To kick the door open for new music..
  • Options
    dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 360
    So……album news tomorrow? I sure hope so. 

That psst is (so far) is a major blue balls maker. 
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,267
    ^ only child?

help us understand, please for fucks sake 
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,304
    They are grouped like this

First period:
    Ten-Riot Act

The a bit more harsh sounding and digitally recorded period:
    Avocado-Lightning Bolt

Gigaton

Ten>riot act were recorded digitally 
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16