psst...01/31/2024

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    spankyMP said:
    tbergs said:
    mfc2006 said:
    so bizarre. I love gigaton. I feel like it's even more polarizing than BS
    Me too. I still listen to it pretty regularly.
    I definitely listen to the first half more than the second but yeah, I don't understand the hate. It is waaaaay better than their last two records imo. I don't thin I've listened to LB from start to finish since the year it came out. 

Now that I think about it, LB is the only album where I don't think I can recite the tracklist from memory. It was just a forgettable album to me. I played Gigaton the other day. 
    Agreed. I actually kind of cringe at some of the LB tracks. I was afraid we were destined for subpar dad rock after that, but Gigaton, to me, showed that they still had creativity and were willing to mess with their formula. I thought it worked wonderfully and loved it the most upon initial listen since Self Titled. I now appreciate BS more though for its fun straight forward delivery. Good album in the overall catalog. 
    All of the albums deserve re-listening every now and then, especially if you didn't appreciate it at first. I'll still hear a subtle riff, baseline, drumbeat, or lyric differently, that will click for me from any one of the albums and I've listened to them all repeatedly since release.
    I hated binaural when it was released, so much that I basically stopped listening to PJ  all together. Outcomes avocado in 2006 and I fell in love with the band all over again. I went back and tried binaural and realized I was so wrong. Best part was I had completely missed on the release of Lost Dogs, Riot Act and Benny Hall. It was like I had gotten almost 5 full albums of PJ in a few months. It was glorious and I haven’t looked back since.
    I didn't bow out completely but I remember buzzing through Binaural and Riot Act on CD and not being blown away by anything so I ignored them....years later they are my favorite albums (behind Yield)

It's funny how that works.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,189
    edited February 2
    @Gern Blansten It really is!

@elvistheking44 wow, what a treat LOL

Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Philly 9/7/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    MJ178168MJ178168 Posts: 51
    spankyMP said:
    tbergs said:
    mfc2006 said:
    so bizarre. I love gigaton. I feel like it's even more polarizing than BS
    Me too. I still listen to it pretty regularly.
    I definitely listen to the first half more than the second but yeah, I don't understand the hate. It is waaaaay better than their last two records imo. I don't thin I've listened to LB from start to finish since the year it came out. 

Now that I think about it, LB is the only album where I don't think I can recite the tracklist from memory. It was just a forgettable album to me. I played Gigaton the other day. 
    Agreed. I actually kind of cringe at some of the LB tracks. I was afraid we were destined for subpar dad rock after that, but Gigaton, to me, showed that they still had creativity and were willing to mess with their formula. I thought it worked wonderfully and loved it the most upon initial listen since Self Titled. I now appreciate BS more though for its fun straight forward delivery. Good album in the overall catalog. 
    All of the albums deserve re-listening every now and then, especially if you didn't appreciate it at first. I'll still hear a subtle riff, baseline, drumbeat, or lyric differently, that will click for me from any one of the albums and I've listened to them all repeatedly since release.
    I hated binaural when it was released, so much that I basically stopped listening to PJ  all together. Outcomes avocado in 2006 and I fell in love with the band all over again. I went back and tried binaural and realized I was so wrong. Best part was I had completely missed on the release of Lost Dogs, Riot Act and Benny Hall. It was like I had gotten almost 5 full albums of PJ in a few months. It was glorious and I haven’t looked back since.
    Similar for me.  I didn't dislike Binaural when it came out but it didn't do anything for me but now it is one of my favorites.  Sometimes music grows on you and the more you listen the better it gets.  I find that happens to me with pretty much every release by The National.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,489
    I think Gigaton is quite good!

And yes, I'm quite annoyed at the premise of this thread.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,699
    I really liked Binaural. Couldn't get into Riot Act. Loved Avocado. Didnt like Backspacer. Really liked Lightning Bolt. Didnt like Gigaton. So going on a good, bad, good, I'm hopeful I will really like the next one. 
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,687
    I'm thankful for any new Pearl Jam music we have coming our way. 30+ years in and still excited for every album, we're lucky.
    +1
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    edited February 2
  • Options
    dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 359
    edited February 2
    deleted
    Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    Didn't know we had so many psychologists on these boards.

Live and let live!
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited February 2
    If someone wants to get psst off, let them be psst off.  Who cares? 
  • Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,804
    edited February 2
    deleted
    Post edited by Sea on
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Options
    SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,929
    edited February 2
    Please stop with the name calling. Thank you.....

Posting Guidelines

1. Be nice. We're very big on RESPECT here. Respect for each other, the band and the Ten Club Community forum environment. Please think of it as if you are as a guest in someone else's home. Please do not put your posting privileges at risk.

2. Discuss, disagree and debate politely. It's possible to disagree with people without being abusive, and it's a requirement here. This includes abusive Private Messages.

a. We operate on the "I'm rubber, you're glue" philosophy so if you make a wonderful, thoughtful post with good points and call the other guy a moron while you're at it, it'll be removed. See #3.

3. There are people bashing and insulting each other all over the internet. We feel it can be better here.

13. If you have a disagreement with someone, (and it happens occasionally) please take it to Private Message to resolve it. Arguments are removed or locked...it poisons the atmosphere. Try thinking of the bbs as if you were at a show. If the people next to you are fighting, it interferes with your enjoyment of the show.

Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Now you psst off Sea. 
  • Options
    This thread sucks.  Either give us a pay off(feel like 24 hours is fair) or don't make it. We all know what's in the works so don't tease us.

Still super excited and haven't listened to any of the bootlegs.

Lets go mystery boxes 
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,773
    edited February 2
    This thread sucks.  Either give us a pay off(feel like 24 hours is fair) or don't make it. We all know what's in the works so don't tease us.

Still super excited and haven't listened to any of the bootlegs.

Lets go mystery boxes 

Here's the issue:

10C could give 100 warnings and there'd still be someone: "Ah crap! I barely missed the deadline! If I sign up now, less than 24 hours after, do you think I'll be eligible? I've been so busy with my real job, my side job, my four kids and my sick husband!"

So yeah... unfortunately, we do need all the hype.

Nobody can say they haven't been warned...including the people who log on to FB only 2-3x per week.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    Travels WithTravels With Posts: 549
    edited February 3
    I thought the Santos,  “have a great day” was awesome. Love having something to get excited about. Love little hints/teases along the way. I can keep waiting without getting all bent out of shape. 48 and have a favorite band still putting out music. So fortunate. 
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,687
    I thought the Santos,  “have a great day” was awesome. Love having something to get excited about. Love little hints/teases along the way. I can keep waiting without getting all bent out of shape. 48 and have a favorite band still putting out music. So fortunate. 
    +1
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 823
    Seconded. I always buy the new albums from 10C (love the hardcovers) but given they're never on time I might rock up and buy a copy on release day to have that feeling again with a PJ album. Might not get too many more chances with my favourite band.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,504
    The last few albums I bought from 10C actually arrived early or right on time.  I know they have to send to people all over the world tho, too.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    djjazzy276djjazzy276 Posts: 199
    JT167846 said:
    Seconded. I always buy the new albums from 10C (love the hardcovers) but given they're never on time I might rock up and buy a copy on release day to have that feeling again with a PJ album. Might not get too many more chances with my favourite band.
    I have this problem all the time. I try to buy direct from the artist and end up waiting an additional week to get it in the mail. Unless 10c has something special, I might just pop down to my shop down the street and get it day of for old times sake.
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 585
    Vedd Hedd said:
    The last few albums I bought from 10C actually arrived early or right on time.  I know they have to send to people all over the world tho, too.
    Same, but I live in Seattle, so that probably has something to do with it
  • Options
    mvwmvw Posts: 1,659
    Psst…Midnight release…12:00(CT) 02/03!!!
    Pearl Jam 12 O’ Clock High!
  • Options
    mvwmvw Posts: 1,659

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,007
    Bad dog
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,344
    JT167846 said:
    I have this problem all the time. I try to buy direct from the artist and end up waiting an additional week to get it in the mail. Unless 10c has something special, I might just pop down to my shop down the street and get it day of for old times sake.
    I end up with two copies, one ordered from the Ten Club and one bought at retail on release day, and I keep one in the car for at least six months after the release since I will be listening to it every day.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,504
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Chicago here and never had one late.  I know one time the album came late, but I got the CD?  LB I think.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208
    AndySlash said:
    dude just wants us to have a great day, y'all

• Options
    ChoskaChoska Posts: 121
    Vedd Hedd said:
    I'll drive over to Easy Street Records when it comes out. Kinda hoping they have a pre-release listening party. 
    Seattle 1992Seattle 1992Seattle 1993Seattle 1995Seattle 1996Seattle 1998Seattle 2001Seattle 2002Seattle 2005Gorge 2006Seattle 2009Seattle 2013Chicago 2016 x2Seattle 2018 x2San Diego 2022Nashville 2022, Seattle 2022 - Eddie Vedder

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    JT167846 said:
    It’s not the delay for me, it’s the cost. It goes on sale at Amazon and free shipping, so usually ends up being about $10 cheaper.
    I like to support the artist directly too, but not at a 50% mark up.
  • Options
    EA17313EA17313 Posts: 62
    Alright, well I’m ready for a single.