Options

psst...01/31/2024

Comments

• Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 675
    gigaton depresses me a bit, even though I love the music, for the pandemic reason. my ottawa show got cancelled the week before it was supposed to happen, then when time came for the make up show, we couldn't make it happen. 
    I work at a hospital. Gigaton was a lifeline for me in 2020 but it’s a hard listen now. I think it’s a great record though.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,448
    I skip Come Back and Inside Job over Parachutes
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,339
     :o 
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,552
    mpedone said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    I dig all their albums in their place and time.  They have not put out anything that I have actively disliked, aside from one or two songs here and there.  Most of the albums are tied to my emotional state at the time, was I in a good spot, did I have good memories with the songs, etc.  
    When Covid hit, I REALLY needed Gigaton and it was awesome.  Looking back, it's probably the hardest listen for me, as a lot of bad things were going on in the world, people were separated.  I feel bad too, because I think Gigaton really had a good message that got swallowed up by the pandemic.  I leaned on that album a lot during that time.  But it sort of gives me pandemic vibes listening to it now. Not just pandemic...but like US politics too.  That is the only drawback for Gigaton for me.  I didnt get to make that many new memories with it, a lot of it was remote and home alone.  
    Looking forward to a better world experience with this new album, and I like the sounds I am hearing so far. 

I'm very much the same with regards to enjoying albums. Put any of them on, and I'll be happy. I totally get your feelings on Gigaton, too. I have some of that, but I also have a bit of escapist feelings towards it, as I really got into it that Spring. I was working from home, my partner was in the office (in an ICU, so...not worrisome at all), and I would go out for drives around town on nice days to just get out of the house and get some fresh air. So, a lot of the songs have this mixed message of "everything is horrible, but it was such a nice day..." thing.
    Yeah, that makes sense. I have moments of that too. I suppose with continued play and live renditions, my weird feeling about it will eventually subside a bit .
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 945
    You're always saying you're too weak to be Strong.
    You're harder on yourself than just about Anyone
    Why swim the channel just to get this far?
    Halfway there, why would you turn around?

This is phenomenal songwriting 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,647
    edited February 1
    gigaton depresses me a bit, even though I love the music, for the pandemic reason. my ottawa show got cancelled the week before it was supposed to happen, then when time came for the make up show, we couldn't make it happen. 
    I have yet to purchase the record. Between the rescheduled 2022 and subsequent 2023 shows I managed to hear the entire album live (Comes Then Goes aside) so it never really felt strange.

Once the lottery is done in a couple of weeks I’ve resolved to deep dive into Gigaton thoroughly.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,896

I sometimes skip Come Back depending on my mood. Inisde Job (which, honestly, took me a while to appreciate) is one of my favorite songs now. I was so excited to hear it in Hamilton in 2022. This is the joy of art!
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 945
    100% their best lp since yield.imo
     Some of this lp this summer please 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,819
    dwjmu84 said:
    The clips have my interest piqued at the very least; im excited to hear the full tracks in superior audio quality with my gear. But back to the process here. It just feels wrong to hold a listening party, knowing that things (clips, descriptions, etc) will leak out, and then have a protracted wait for this thing.  The album is clearly 100% completely ready to go, so why not just let us have it now? It DOES NOT need to coincide with tour dates. There is no association.  We will all go to the shows we can based on other factors, and album release timing has absolutely nothing to do with it.  I've read that Jeff said they "sat on this album", which also is kind of a head scratcher. Why? If they're as proud of this record as early reports indicate, I would think they'd be dying for us to hear it.
    There are long wait times to get physical product manufactured, namely vinyl, which could be holding things up.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,339
    mpedone said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    I dig all their albums in their place and time.  They have not put out anything that I have actively disliked, aside from one or two songs here and there.  Most of the albums are tied to my emotional state at the time, was I in a good spot, did I have good memories with the songs, etc.  
    When Covid hit, I REALLY needed Gigaton and it was awesome.  Looking back, it's probably the hardest listen for me, as a lot of bad things were going on in the world, people were separated.  I feel bad too, because I think Gigaton really had a good message that got swallowed up by the pandemic.  I leaned on that album a lot during that time.  But it sort of gives me pandemic vibes listening to it now. Not just pandemic...but like US politics too.  That is the only drawback for Gigaton for me.  I didnt get to make that many new memories with it, a lot of it was remote and home alone.  
    Looking forward to a better world experience with this new album, and I like the sounds I am hearing so far. 

I'm very much the same with regards to enjoying albums. Put any of them on, and I'll be happy. I totally get your feelings on Gigaton, too. I have some of that, but I also have a bit of escapist feelings towards it, as I really got into it that Spring. I was working from home, my partner was in the office (in an ICU, so...not worrisome at all), and I would go out for drives around town on nice days to just get out of the house and get some fresh air. So, a lot of the songs have this mixed message of "everything is horrible, but it was such a nice day..." thing.
    Same here! I recently went on a road trip with my 14 year old daughter and she complained about Daughter sounding bad on the radio, so I put in VS and played album by album through Gigaton (minus Lightning Bolt, just wasn't in the car). I kept giving her an out if she wanted me to switch to something else, but she wanted me to keep playing the albums. Proud moment :) That was when I found a new appreciation for Avocado and BS, they are better than what they get credit for and I have pre-parenthood memories with each album. Revisiting each from time to time allows you to see them from a new perspective as you age IMO.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    dwjmu84 said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    The clips have my interest piqued at the very least; im excited to hear the full tracks in superior audio quality with my gear. But back to the process here. It just feels wrong to hold a listening party, knowing that things (clips, descriptions, etc) will leak out, and then have a protracted wait for this thing.  The album is clearly 100% completely ready to go, so why not just let us have it now? It DOES NOT need to coincide with tour dates. There is no association.  We will all go to the shows we can based on other factors, and album release timing has absolutely nothing to do with it.  I've read that Jeff said they "sat on this album", which also is kind of a head scratcher. Why? If they're as proud of this record as early reports indicate, I would think they'd be dying for us to hear it.
    of course album releases coincide with tours. they literally fund each other.  
    Wait…what? 

Artists make next to zero on record sales and streams these days. It’s literally a tiny fraction of total revenue. 

Touring is almost 100% where cash flows originate, and they have cash on hand to get the ball rolling for shows and finance the tour. 

Also, nobody is talking about a 6 month gap. First shows we know of occur in May right?

If the album were to be released, let’s say tomorrow, that’s 3 months and change in between. They could spend the time promoting, podcasting, etc. I don’t really think that’s all necessarily (my opinion) bc we die hards will attend the shows regardless. Take the smaller runs they’ve done in the last couple years (I hit dates on both “tours”). There hadn’t been an album since Gig. It does not matter. With fewer dates than the early days, all of their shows will see 100% sellouts no matter what. Did you see how many 10c members whiffed on the presales??? Demand is huge and they have a gtd cash cow with their live efforts. The records are a bonus. 
    I'm not sure that all of their shows are 100 percent sellouts no matter what. (Incidentally, a sellout is a sellout. 100 percent sellout is redundant. It reminds me of when you're boarding a plane and they tell you the flight is "completely full." Well, it's either full or it isn't. "Completely full" is just gilding the lily. And, of course, every time they say that, there always end up being empty seats, so the flight isn't even full, let alone "completely full"-- but I digress.)

Anyway, Fresno was not a sellout. And I suspect that other shows in less high-profile markets also have not sold out. There's also the complication of the secondary market, where there are tickets that get sold but never resold because they price them too high, which would lead to empty seats but not a hit to the overall gate.

I would also expect that Pearl Jam makes more money off album sales than most artists because of the premium prices for vinyl, and also because they sell a disproportionate number of CDs and LPs directly to the consumer via the Ten Club, eliminating the middleman of retail and the chunk of revenue that would go to retail.
  • Options
    KwienekeKwieneke Indiana Posts: 1,337
    mpedone said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

So, a lot of the songs have this mixed message of "everything is horrible, but it was such a nice day..." thing.
    this is a really good way to put it. such an interesting and weird time, especially looking back. 
    Noblesville 5.7.2010. Lexington 4.26.2016. Nashville 9.16.2022. St Louis 9.18.2022.
    Chicago 1 9.5.2023. Chicago 2 9.7.2023. 
    *Noblesville 9.10.2023* (Gutted) 
  • Options
    SB117186 said:
    eboweddie said:
    I listened to Avocado yesterday.  First Time in ages. My god it's a brilliant piece of work.  Forgot how good it is 
    Agreed!

Still skip Parachutes though, that one has never done anything for me
    Why deny...?
  • Options
    Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 4,454
    100 Pacer said:
    I have yet to purchase the record. Between the rescheduled 2022 and subsequent 2023 shows I managed to hear the entire album live (Comes Then Goes aside) so it never really felt strange.

Once the lottery is done in a couple of weeks I’ve resolved to deep dive into Gigaton thoroughly.
    You won't be sorry, sir.
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II, 05/16 & 05/18/24: Las Vegas I & II. Michael Jordan's #!

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, all of Vitalogy or Satan's Bed, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways (full band), You Are (thank you, Vegas!), Bu$hleaguer, Inside Job (Vegas!), low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Of The Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Comfortably Numb, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!
  • Options
    bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,081
    BF25394 said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    There are long wait times to get physical product manufactured, namely vinyl, which could be holding things up.
    If they have been sitting on this so long. This may be one of the reasons. It could be at plants already. 
  • Options
    I found Eddies voice overly "sharp"/harsh on that album. And almost sounds like he has a cold on some songs. I prefer the sound and "recording" of his voice on Riot Act.

It though has a "nostalgic" magic to it. World Wide Suicide, Unemployable and Severed Hand just jolts your body with warm feelings.
    This is the one thing about that album that bugs me: Eddie sounds like he's being strangled. He is straining so hard instead of singing in his natural register. And it was not a one-off. When I sing along to any album through Riot Act, I can do it without difficulty. Since Pearl Jam, by track four, my throat feels shredded. (And I really like all of those albums.) I'm trying not to worry too much about the fact that the singing I could hear on that back-alley recording definitely sounds like he's still straining.
  • Options
    Wow, to each their own. "Come Back" is one of their five best songs, in my estimation. (And "Inside Job" is way up there, too.)
  • Options
    100 Pacer said:

I am completely fascinated by the fact that you belong to the band's fan club but don't own the album. Why didn't you get it when it came out?
  • Options
    dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 360
    BF25394 said:
    100 Pacer said:

I am completely fascinated by the fact that you belong to the band's fan club but don't own the album. Why didn't you get it when it came out?
    I don't own it either.  I have no way of playing a CD or record.  how am I going to "purchase" it? I pay for Spotify and access my music this way.  I spend a small fortune on seeing them live.  I suppose I could be moved to buy an actual record if the artwork was something I loved. I do have ten and yield in lp.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,994
    100 Pacer said:

Do you mean not at all or just not in physical form? I don't own the CD or vinyl but have listened the shit out of my digital download. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,260
    dwjmu84 said:
    BF25394 said:
    100 Pacer said:

I don't own it either.  I have no way of playing a CD or record.  how am I going to "purchase" it? I pay for Spotify and access my music this way.  I spend a small fortune on seeing them live.  I suppose I could be moved to buy an actual record if the artwork was something I loved. I do have ten and yield in lp.
    Um, Apple, Amazon, any number of places. Download it, add it to your iTunes and phone, and take it with you everywhere.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    100 Pacer said:

131,XXX representing.

It was disappointing, for all of us, when the 2020 tour was postponed. And then the pandemic hit. As a business owner during those strange times I kept my head down and focused on work to avoid distractions and when I wasn’t at the office I was spending all my time with the kids. It’s funny but just never set aside the time to think about the new record while things were in limbo. My mother passed away in September 2020 (not Covid related). I told myself when the rescheduled shows were announced in 2022 I’d purchase the record but again work/life was busy. Mind you PJ radio certainly helped fill the void but I knew I’d have the opportunity to explore Gigaton once I
    was ready. Having booked all the hotels and airfare for the 2024 tour now I’m mentally prepared to explore the previous record lol.

To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    100 Pacer said:

Do you mean not at all or just not in physical form? I don't own the CD or vinyl but have listened the shit out of my digital download. 
    CD will be my first copy. I’m an old 43 year old.

• Options
    dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 360
    dwjmu84 said:
    BF25394 said:
    100 Pacer said:

Um, Apple, Amazon, any number of places. Download it, add it to your iTunes and phone, and take it with you everywhere.
    ? all the records are downloaded via my Spotify. why would I go and purchase a digital copy of an album I already own?

• Options
    aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,260
    dwjmu84 said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    BF25394 said:
    100 Pacer said:

? all the records are downloaded via my Spotify. why would I go and purchase a digital copy of an album I already own?

You literally just said, "I don't own it either." 
    And if you're listening on Spotify, you really don't own it.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,044
    semantics. he has the ability to listen to it any time he wants. the definition of "own" isn't relevant. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dwjmu84 said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    BF25394 said:
    100 Pacer said:

Do you own it via Spotify? Aren't you just renting it? If Pearl Jam pulls their music from Spotify tomorrow, can you listen to it?
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,896
    BF25394 said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    BF25394 said:
    100 Pacer said:

Do you own it via Spotify? Aren't you just renting it? If Pearl Jam pulls their music from Spotify tomorrow, can you listen to it?

This is why I buy physical copies. Of course, I also listen on Spotify to keep my Wrapped stats looking good at the end of the year.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    100 Pacer said:
    BF25394 said:
    100 Pacer said:

131,XXX representing.

It was disappointing, for all of us, when the 2020 tour was postponed. And then the pandemic hit. As a business owner during those strange times I kept my head down and focused on work to avoid distractions and when I wasn’t at the office I was spending all my time with the kids. It’s funny but just never set aside the time to think about the new record while things were in limbo. My mother passed away in September 2020 (not Covid related). I told myself when the rescheduled shows were announced in 2022 I’d purchase the record but again work/life was busy. Mind you PJ radio certainly helped fill the void but I knew I’d have the opportunity to explore Gigaton once I
    was ready. Having booked all the hotels and airfare for the 2024 tour now I’m mentally prepared to explore the previous record lol.

I understand and sympathize with all of that, but the album went up for presale in January 2020. It's just interesting to me that there are a lot of people who are big enough fans of the band to belong to the fan club, but for whom a new album is not an automatic purchase. I'm not judging you or faulting you (or suggesting you're less of a fan). I just find it interesting.
  • Options
    ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 725
    I don’t have a physical copy of Gigaton because I don’t like the album. 
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)