psst...01/31/2024

Comments

• Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,503
    dwjmu84 said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    BF25394 said:
    100 Pacer said:
    gigaton depresses me a bit, even though I love the music, for the pandemic reason. my ottawa show got cancelled the week before it was supposed to happen, then when time came for the make up show, we couldn't make it happen. 
    I have yet to purchase the record. Between the rescheduled 2022 and subsequent 2023 shows I managed to hear the entire album live (Comes Then Goes aside) so it never really felt strange.

Once the lottery is done in a couple of weeks I’ve resolved to deep dive into Gigaton thoroughly.
    I am completely fascinated by the fact that you belong to the band's fan club but don't own the album. Why didn't you get it when it came out?
    I don't own it either.  I have no way of playing a CD or record.  how am I going to "purchase" it? I pay for Spotify and access my music this way.  I spend a small fortune on seeing them live.  I suppose I could be moved to buy an actual record if the artwork was something I loved. I do have ten and yield in lp.
    Um, Apple, Amazon, any number of places. Download it, add it to your iTunes and phone, and take it with you everywhere.
    ? all the records are downloaded via my Spotify. why would I go and purchase a digital copy of an album I already own?

Do you have a DVD or Blu-ray player? Because they also play CDs. If you don't have one, did you ever have one? If you did, why did you get rid of it?
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    ZoSoTim said:
    I don’t have a physical copy of Gigaton because I don’t like the album. 
    You don't like the album because you don't have a physical copy of it. :)
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,600
    BF25394 said:
    100 Pacer said:
    BF25394 said:
    100 Pacer said:
    gigaton depresses me a bit, even though I love the music, for the pandemic reason. my ottawa show got cancelled the week before it was supposed to happen, then when time came for the make up show, we couldn't make it happen. 
    I have yet to purchase the record. Between the rescheduled 2022 and subsequent 2023 shows I managed to hear the entire album live (Comes Then Goes aside) so it never really felt strange.

Once the lottery is done in a couple of weeks I’ve resolved to deep dive into Gigaton thoroughly.
    I am completely fascinated by the fact that you belong to the band's fan club but don't own the album. Why didn't you get it when it came out?
    131,XXX representing.

It was disappointing, for all of us, when the 2020 tour was postponed. And then the pandemic hit. As a business owner during those strange times I kept my head down and focused on work to avoid distractions and when I wasn’t at the office I was spending all my time with the kids. It’s funny but just never set aside the time to think about the new record while things were in limbo. My mother passed away in September 2020 (not Covid related). I told myself when the rescheduled shows were announced in 2022 I’d purchase the record but again work/life was busy. Mind you PJ radio certainly helped fill the void but I knew I’d have the opportunity to explore Gigaton once I
    was ready. Having booked all the hotels and airfare for the 2024 tour now I’m mentally prepared to explore the previous record lol.

I understand and sympathize with all of that, but the album went up for presale in January 2020. It's just interesting to me that there are a lot of people who are big enough fans of the band to belong to the fan club, but for whom a new album is not an automatic purchase. I'm not judging you or faulting you (or suggesting you're less of a fan). I just find it interesting.
    Everything happens for a reason. Life doesn’t happen in a vacuum and I’m appreciative of the fact I had the opportunity to discover the band in real time. It’s all just gravy beyond that.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 360
    BF25394 said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    BF25394 said:
    100 Pacer said:

I don't own it either.  I have no way of playing a CD or record.  how am I going to "purchase" it? I pay for Spotify and access my music this way.  I spend a small fortune on seeing them live.  I suppose I could be moved to buy an actual record if the artwork was something I loved. I do have ten and yield in lp.
    Um, Apple, Amazon, any number of places. Download it, add it to your iTunes and phone, and take it with you everywhere.
    ? all the records are downloaded via my Spotify. why would I go and purchase a digital copy of an album I already own?

Do you own it via Spotify? Aren't you just renting it? If Pearl Jam pulls their music from Spotify tomorrow, can you listen to it?
    I suppose I "own" the right to listen to it on demand, even at 38k ft due to the save feature.  So what happens if PJ ever pulls their music? I've not given that much thought. Go find it on YouTube? Somewhere else? This seems like an extreme tail risk outlier of an outcome (if you like statistics). I don't give it much thought really....
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    BF25394 said:
    100 Pacer said:

Do you have a DVD or Blu-ray player? Because they also play CDs. If you don't have one, did you ever have one? If you did, why did you get rid of it?
    I used to have both. I also have CDs and cassettes of many of the earlier records. I began to Marie Kondo my life at some point haha.

In all seriousness, I like things streamlined, easy, digital, repeatable, scaleable.....it's the way I do my business and my life.  Just my way but to each their own.  I totally get the whole vinyl thing, even though it's never been my cup of tea.
  • Options
    se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 328
    dwjmu84 said:
    BF25394 said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    BF25394 said:
    100 Pacer said:

Do you own it via Spotify? Aren't you just renting it? If Pearl Jam pulls their music from Spotify tomorrow, can you listen to it?
    I suppose I "own" the right to listen to it on demand, even at 38k ft due to the save feature.  So what happens if PJ ever pulls their music? I've not given that much thought. Go find it on YouTube? Somewhere else? This seems like an extreme tail risk outlier of an outcome (if you like statistics). I don't give it much thought really....
    To me having the physical media is essential for the full experience.  The Gigaton packaging is beautiful and each page compliments it's respective song.  I always get a copy of the 10C CD since it is a hard cover booklet and a copy of the Vinyl.  When you wait this long for new music from your favorite band, I'm not concerned about spending a little more to fully immerse myself in it.
  • Options
    bazfromozbazfromoz Posts: 190
    I still haven’t been able to accept Gigaton as part of the PJ album family. Just can’t resonate with it. 
  • Options
    ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 636
    BF25394 said:
    ZoSoTim said:
    That’s not how it works. 
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • Options
    bootlegbootleg Posts: 547
    se7v7en said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    BF25394 said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    BF25394 said:
    100 Pacer said:

To me having the physical media is essential for the full experience.  The Gigaton packaging is beautiful and each page compliments its respective song.  I always get a copy of the 10C CD since it is a hard cover booklet and a copy of the Vinyl.  When you wait this long for new music from your favorite band, I'm not concerned about spending a little more to fully immerse myself in it.
    I’m still old school and still get the physical copies.  I wish I had the patience to wait for the physical copies for my first listen though, because I can remember where I bought the album and where I first listened to it for all of their albums up through Avacado.  They used to do midnight releases and the local record (cd) store would open up for one hour just for the release.  I think after Avacado there would always be some digital release that I would end up listening to first because I couldn’t wait for the store to open or for the mailman to deliver my ten club copy.  I don’t remember any of those first listens.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,178
    I get physical copies of any album I love and/or listen to a lot. I stream a ton but try to keep "what if they disappeared tomorrow" in mind.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Re: The Avocado discussion a few pages ago.

Its probably pretty low on my list of their albums, but it has gems.

Severed Hand IMO is the underrated rocker rarity that people should be calling out for like Leash was 10 years ago
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,707
    I've never bought a album download. Always cds or vinyl (if it's PJ)
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,526
    pjl44 said:
    I get physical copies of any album I love and/or listen to a lot. I stream a ton but try to keep "what if they disappeared tomorrow" in mind.
    Same.  I dont buymany CD's anymore, except for PJ and a few others. 

But I buy more vinyl.  I hate to be that guy, but I was into vinyl back in 89-90....my brother had a ton of classic rock albums that he didnt want anymore because "who listens to records??" so I did.  I kept those, and then got into finding old records at garage sales, flea markets, etc.  Record stores had pretty much gone away by that point.  When Vitalogy came out, I was super pumped because I had the record before people had the CD. I think people thought I was into vinyl because of Pearl Jam, but it was more of just a coincidence.  PJ always appreciated albums, though. 

Then vinyl came back around and my record collection increased in value. Ha. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    CP218430CP218430 Posts: 1,895
    I still call out for Leash and I'll never ever stop.
    98: St. Louis. 2000: Alpine. 2003: Chicago. 2006: Chicago Night 2, Milwaukee Night 1. 2007: Chicago (Lolla). 2009: Chicago 1 & 2. 2011: Alpine 1 & 2. 2013: Chicago & LA Night 1. 2016: Chicago 1 & 2. 2018: Chicago 1 & 2. 

"Let the Ocean dissolve away my past."
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,540
    I buy the vinyl for listening at home and the CDs to play at work, using the DVD drive in my PC. The building our shop is in has no cell service, and the LAN is locked down so we can't access streaming sites.
  • Options
    BSullyBSully Indiana Posts: 1,073
    se7v7en said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    BF25394 said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    BF25394 said:
    100 Pacer said:

To me having the physical media is essential for the full experience.  The Gigaton packaging is beautiful and each page compliments it's respective song.  I always get a copy of the 10C CD since it is a hard cover booklet and a copy of the Vinyl.  When you wait this long for new music from your favorite band, I'm not concerned about spending a little more to fully immerse myself in it.
    I agree, I still love and buy physical copies whenever possible.
    Now, after that I rip the MP3 files out so I can play them off a USB since my Jeep doesn't have a CD player.

But, it sill physical copy all the way and with PJ, probably multiple copies.
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 652
    edited February 1
    pjl44 said:
    I try to get physical copy for smaller or up and coming bands and I always get either a t or record at club shows. I wanna help those bands at least get gas in the van.
    i always buy PJ stuff because I’m obsessed.
    but for other bands at PJ’s level (say Tool or Foos or QOTSA for examples) I have to reaaaaally love the new album to buy it.
    Post edited by kmcmanus on
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,526
    kmcmanus said:
    pjl44 said:
    I try to get physical copy for smaller or up and coming bands and I always get either a t or record at club shows. I wanna help those bands at least get gas in the van.
    i always buy PJ stuff because I’m obsessed.
    but for other bands at PJ’s level (say Tool or Foos or QOTSA for examples) I have to reaaaaally live the new album to buy it.
    Actually, I do that as well, now that you mention it...I buy all the PJ stuff.  And for new bands that I like, I tend to buy SOMETHING from them.  For established bands....it has to be "physical copy" worthy.  Or some awesome vinyl package.  
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    So, did we get a psst JUST for the possibility that reactions would follow the insiders listening party? I really hope not. Waiting for something official to come tonight and I hope it does. 
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 652
    edited February 1
    dwjmu84 said:
    So, did we get a psst JUST for the possibility that reactions would follow the insiders listening party? I really hope not. Waiting for something official to come tonight and I hope it does. 
    The “psst” definitely changed my level of expectation too, if not for that I’d just be expecting no news til the 13th.
  • Options
    LizJLizJ Posts: 338
    kmcmanus said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    The “psst” definitely changed my level of expectation too, if not for that I’d just be expecting no news til the 13th.
    Same. Expected something more to happen than just the „Hail hail the lucky ones“- listening party after that.
    So still hoping for at least an official Album announcement and/or single release tomorrow. 🤷🏽‍♀️
  • Options
    3days3days Posts: 1,152
    I dug the concept of Gigaton, but also felt it was half of a strong album. The first 4 tracks were good, and the rest of the album was hit and miss for me. Some of the latter songs were good, some were okay, and some I just couldn't get into. I wonder if more editing would've changed my opinion. 

That being said, I'm grateful that PJ is still making music, and taking risks. I'm excited to hear the new one.
  • Options
    ewokpeltsewokpelts Posts: 709
    bazfromoz said:
    I still haven’t been able to accept Gigaton as part of the PJ album family. Just can’t resonate with it. 
    I've never finished the record.
  • Options
    matt84matt84 Posts: 605
    bazfromoz said:
    Same. My least favourite by far.
  • Options
    ZoSoTim said:
    BF25394 said:
    ZoSoTim said:
    That’s not how it works. 
    But does it resignate with you? :)

I was being facetious with my reply, but I think sometimes that is how it works (although not perhaps in your specific case). In the "old days," when people had to pay money to hear a full album, they were literally invested in it in a way that they aren't when they merely stream it as part of a subscription. This usually meant that people would give anything they bought and owned a lot more attention than they might give it now. Now, if someone streams something-- even if it's by an artist that they love with a long track record of making music they love-- and it doesn't grab them in one or two listens, they move on to the next thing from out of the practically infinite menu of options available to them.

(Some of this is also a function of aging. People have a lot more time when they're 18 or 21 or 25 to immerse themselves in an album than they do when they're 35 or 45 with job and family demands. And also, for those of us who 17 in 1992, the world had a lot less to distract us then than it does now.
  • Options
    GT1015GT1015 Posts: 168
    Can someone let the dog out?  I heard it needs to go psst.  
  • Options
    aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,183
    GT1015 said:
    Can someone let the dog out?  I heard it needs to go psst.  
    Great. Now I have, "Who Let the Dogs Out" stuck in my head.
  • Options
    se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 328
    matt84 said:
    bazfromoz said:
    Same. My least favourite by far.
    I'm amazed so many seem to feel that way, but that is because it is by far my favorite Pearl Jam album.  I have probably listened to it over 500 times, many of the listens on long distance runs and that's when it really does something special for me.  There is something about the cohesive overarching and continually building messages of resilience and hope that make it such a great running album for me.
  • Options
    ewokpelts said:
    bazfromoz said:
    I've never finished the record.
    I don't get it. You like this band enough to pay money to belong to its fan club but, in four years, you haven't been able to bring yourself to listen to less than an hour of their music? It makes no sense to me.

Years ago, I worked with a guy who asked me if I wanted to buy his copy of Coldplay's second album. This was on the day of release. He had gone at midnight to get it but, at 11 a.m. on release day, he had already decided he wasn't as into it as their first album. I was flabbergasted. It hadn't even been out a day?! Not to mention that the first single from the album, "In My Place," sounded extremely similar to "Yellow," which suggested that the new album wasn't some kind of departure for the band. Again, it made no sense to me.
  • Options
    Release EVRelease EV Posts: 2,005
    I agree with the sentiments around Gigaton. Listening to this through a fire escape, with traffic noise already beats it