10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 360
    dwjmu84 said:
    The clips have my interest piqued at the very least; im excited to hear the full tracks in superior audio quality with my gear. But back to the process here. It just feels wrong to hold a listening party, knowing that things (clips, descriptions, etc) will leak out, and then have a protracted wait for this thing.  The album is clearly 100% completely ready to go, so why not just let us have it now? It DOES NOT need to coincide with tour dates. There is no association.  We will all go to the shows we can based on other factors, and album release timing has absolutely nothing to do with it.  I've read that Jeff said they "sat on this album", which also is kind of a head scratcher. Why? If they're as proud of this record as early reports indicate, I would think they'd be dying for us to hear it.
    of course album releases coincide with tours. they literally fund each other.  
    Wait…what? 

Artists make next to zero on record sales and streams these days. It’s literally a tiny fraction of total revenue. 

Touring is almost 100% where cash flows originate, and they have cash on hand to get the ball rolling for shows and finance the tour. 

Also, nobody is talking about a 6 month gap. First shows we know of occur in May right?

If the album were to be released, let’s say tomorrow, that’s 3 months and change in between. They could spend the time promoting, podcasting, etc. I don’t really think that’s all necessarily (my opinion) bc we die hards will attend the shows regardless. Take the smaller runs they’ve done in the last couple years (I hit dates on both “tours”). There hadn’t been an album since Gig. It does not matter. With fewer dates than the early days, all of their shows will see 100% sellouts no matter what. Did you see how many 10c members whiffed on the presales??? Demand is huge and they have a gtd cash cow with their live efforts. The records are a bonus. 
  • Options
    drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,154
    dwjmu84 said:
    The clips have my interest piqued at the very least; im excited to hear the full tracks in superior audio quality with my gear. But back to the process here. It just feels wrong to hold a listening party, knowing that things (clips, descriptions, etc) will leak out, and then have a protracted wait for this thing.  The album is clearly 100% completely ready to go, so why not just let us have it now? It DOES NOT need to coincide with tour dates. There is no association.  We will all go to the shows we can based on other factors, and album release timing has absolutely nothing to do with it.  I've read that Jeff said they "sat on this album", which also is kind of a head scratcher. Why? If they're as proud of this record as early reports indicate, I would think they'd be dying for us to hear it.
    It’s really common for bands to record an album and then release it a year later. Eg QOTSA In Times New Roman was initially recorded around 2021 but finished off in late 2022 and released then in June 2023
  • Options
    MarieowMarieow San Francisco Posts: 75

It’s probably tied to touring. They probably feel like dropping the record and then taking it out on the road right after is a better experience than putting it out and not doing anything for 6 months. A new record could help sell tickets (not that this is a big problem for them) and a new tour helps sells albums. 
    I hope they drop it sooner so I can really get to know it. We had almost 2 years to get to know Gigaton before they were allowed to perform it. That was enough time for me to love it. Obviously, not everyone else.  I noticed a bathroom break exodus during the shows last year when any Gigaton song came on. Now, I don't blame them, when you gotta go, you gotta go.

I wonder if they would ever do a CD giveaway with ticket purchase (for regular public sale tickets, non 10c) so the casual fan will give the new stuff a chance. 
    San Jose, California (October 30, 1993), San Francisco, California (June 24, 1995), San Jose, California (November 04, 1995), Mountain View, California (October 30, 1999), Mountain View, California (October 31, 2000), Mountain View, California (October 20, 2001), Mountain View, California (October 21, 2001), Mountain View, California (June 01, 2003),San Diego, California (June 05, 2003), Mountain View, California (October 25, 2003), Mountain View, California (October 26, 2003), Kissimmee, Florida (October 08, 2004), San Francisco, California (July 15, 2006), San Francisco, California (July 16, 2006), San Francisco, California (July 18, 2006),  Mountain View, California (October 21, 2006), Mountain View, California (October 22, 2006), San Francisco, California (August 28, 2009), Mountain View, California (October 23, 2010), Mountain View, California (October 24, 2010), Vancouver, British Columbia (September 25, 2011), Oakland, CA (November 26, 2013), Mountain View, CA (October 25, 2014), Mountain View, CA (October 26, 2014), Chicago Night 1 (August 18, 2018), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Ohana Festival (September 25, 2021), Ohana Festival (September 26, 2021), Ohana Festival Encore Weekend (October 01, 2021), Ohana Festival Encore Weekend (October 02, 2021), Los Angeles (May 07, 2022), Oakland (May 12, 2022), Oakland (May 13, 2022), Fresno (May 16, 2022), St Paul (August 31, 2023), St Paul (September 02, 2023), Chicago (September 05, 2023), Chicago (September 07, 2023), Ft Worth (September 13, 2023), Ft Worth (September 15, 2023), Austin (September 19, 2023), Austin (September 18, 2023)
  • Options
    deb1211deb1211 Posts: 1,232
    I would love the new album.out asap so I can be fully ready to sing new songs by tour 😉
  • Options
    I am happy to be geeking out over song impressions and bad quality clips.  I enjoy the foreplay!  Reminds me of a time when information wasn’t so easily accessible.  Anyways, the announcement will come soon, I’m sure.  I just want to enjoy the mystery of a new album.  Like others I can’t believe we are still getting new music after so many years! 
  • Options
    I just like the idea of having a few months (maybe even longer) for the tracks to marinade with me a bit.  It also gives you time to start associating memories with them, which to me is one of the coolest parts about this art form.  Then, seeing them play those tracks live a BIT after that time period in your life has come and gone - there's just something about it that transcends normal, every day human experience.

Plus, from a practical stand point.  If this new stuff is as good as has been advertised, why not give it more time to make its way through the masses. We all know MOST people we say "oh, another PJ album. those guys are still around?". Many will have a very cynical view, but with enough time, maybe they'll take to these songs and then decide to go to shows. From a perspective of maximizing revenue, I don't see why you wouldn't want a good few months between album and tour (though I agree that TOO much time can cause complacency and sort of "the window has passed" phenomenon).
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 675
    edited February 1
    The tour is certainly a factor for release timing but I think vinyl is a bigger factor. I don’t see them ever doing a surprise digital release because they want the analog people to be able to hear it the same day.
  • Options
    kmcmanus said:
    The tour is certainly a factor for release timing but I think vinyl is a bigger factor. I don’t see them ever doing a surprise digital release because they want the analog people to be able to hear it the same day.
    it could be a factor (the tour) to them, but it doesn't need to be. that's an old school way of thinking in my view. and, I'll buy the vinyl 3 months later when it's available.  I don't need it THE DAY the record is "released".  but, yes, we all understand their love for it.  I don't disagree that this is likely the way it will play out, im just saying I wish they'd evolve a bit on this front and try something new.  That said, I respect the commitment to doing things their way and they've earned that right of course. the first release I was "around" for was no code, and they've certainly been consistent since.  I suppose as long as the tracks are awesome, it will all iron out the same in the end.
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,728
    Only listened to half of the recording. Some good sounds in there but would rather wait for the album to be released to hear anymore. 
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    smile6680smile6680 Posts: 355
    dwjmu84 said:
    Bunting10 said:
    pjl44 said:
    It's a cell phone recording on the other side of a door. Maybe pump the brakes on the reviews.
    Yeah it probably sucks with head phones  ;)
    All things considered, it sounded like a good recording to me 
    Same here, but don't forget, you're not allowed to have an opinion on something here without it being check by the thought police.

Things are not that way over at the RM forum if you like to speak freely!
    You are 100% correct.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,044
    dwjmu84 said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    of course album releases coincide with tours. they literally fund each other.  
    Wait…what? 

Artists make next to zero on record sales and streams these days. It’s literally a tiny fraction of total revenue. 

Touring is almost 100% where cash flows originate, and they have cash on hand to get the ball rolling for shows and finance the tour. 

Also, nobody is talking about a 6 month gap. First shows we know of occur in May right?

If the album were to be released, let’s say tomorrow, that’s 3 months and change in between. They could spend the time promoting, podcasting, etc. I don’t really think that’s all necessarily (my opinion) bc we die hards will attend the shows regardless. Take the smaller runs they’ve done in the last couple years (I hit dates on both “tours”). There hadn’t been an album since Gig. It does not matter. With fewer dates than the early days, all of their shows will see 100% sellouts no matter what. Did you see how many 10c members whiffed on the presales??? Demand is huge and they have a gtd cash cow with their live efforts. The records are a bonus. 
    I'm aware that album sales account for nearly nothing these days. but a TOUR that coincides with said new album does. 

sure, PJ doesn't need a new album to tour. we all know that. but it probably generates a lot more income in merch tied to a new record/new themes than otherwise. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    smile6680smile6680 Posts: 355
    Marieow said:

It’s probably tied to touring. They probably feel like dropping the record and then taking it out on the road right after is a better experience than putting it out and not doing anything for 6 months. A new record could help sell tickets (not that this is a big problem for them) and a new tour helps sells albums. 
    I hope they drop it sooner so I can really get to know it. We had almost 2 years to get to know Gigaton before they were allowed to perform it. That was enough time for me to love it. Obviously, not everyone else.  I noticed a bathroom break exodus during the shows last year when any Gigaton song came on. Now, I don't blame them, when you gotta go, you gotta go.

I wonder if they would ever do a CD giveaway with ticket purchase (for regular public sale tickets, non 10c) so the casual fan will give the new stuff a chance. 
    I also enjoy getting an album a few months before seeing them on tour. The concert flows way better when I'm more familiar with the songs before hand.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,801
    Kearn5y said:
    Only listened to half of the recording. Some good sounds in there but would rather wait for the album to be released to hear anymore. 
    Yeah Im with you on this, I have little interest in hearing the new stuff on low quality for the first time. Going to wait it out

I do recall hearing the fixer from outside the soundbox in Seattle when they made the promo video and thinking it sounded incredible. Time wasnt so kind to it
  • Options
    I dig Backspacer for what it is. I don't put it up against Vitalogy or Yield. I think about it as its own time and place. I like the energetic short rock songs they put out on that record. I listen to it probably more than Avocado or Riot Act, to be honest. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 945
    I listened to Avocado yesterday.  First Time in ages. My god it's a brilliant piece of work.  Forgot how good it is 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Options
    SB117186SB117186 Posts: 346
    eboweddie said:
    I listened to Avocado yesterday.  First Time in ages. My god it's a brilliant piece of work.  Forgot how good it is 
    Agreed!

Still skip Parachutes though, that one has never done anything for me
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 675
    I dig Backspacer for what it is. I don't put it up against Vitalogy or Yield. I think about it as its own time and place. I like the energetic short rock songs they put out on that record. I listen to it probably more than Avocado or Riot Act, to be honest. 
    Love it or hate it, Backspacer knows exactly what it’s trying to be and is always consistently that. And it’s the only PJ studio album under 40 mins. It serves a couple purposes none of the other albums really do.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,724
    eboweddie said:
    I love it end to end!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,552
    I dig all their albums in their place and time.  They have not put out anything that I have actively disliked, aside from one or two songs here and there.  Most of the albums are tied to my emotional state at the time, was I in a good spot, did I have good memories with the songs, etc.  
    When Covid hit, I REALLY needed Gigaton and it was awesome.  Looking back, it's probably the hardest listen for me, as a lot of bad things were going on in the world, people were separated.  I feel bad too, because I think Gigaton really had a good message that got swallowed up by the pandemic.  I leaned on that album a lot during that time.  But it sort of gives me pandemic vibes listening to it now. Not just pandemic...but like US politics too.  That is the only drawback for Gigaton for me.  I didnt get to make that many new memories with it, a lot of it was remote and home alone.  
    Looking forward to a better world experience with this new album, and I like the sounds I am hearing so far. 

Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 945
    Not a single track to skip..if you have the Torino gig 2006. They played it right through.  Gone. WWS. Army reserve.  Comeback.  Inside Job. Just brilliant songs.  Marker too. And life wasted. Super crafted song 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,896
    Vedd Hedd said:
    I dig all their albums in their place and time.  They have not put out anything that I have actively disliked, aside from one or two songs here and there.  Most of the albums are tied to my emotional state at the time, was I in a good spot, did I have good memories with the songs, etc.  
    When Covid hit, I REALLY needed Gigaton and it was awesome.  Looking back, it's probably the hardest listen for me, as a lot of bad things were going on in the world, people were separated.  I feel bad too, because I think Gigaton really had a good message that got swallowed up by the pandemic.  I leaned on that album a lot during that time.  But it sort of gives me pandemic vibes listening to it now. Not just pandemic...but like US politics too.  That is the only drawback for Gigaton for me.  I didnt get to make that many new memories with it, a lot of it was remote and home alone.  
    Looking forward to a better world experience with this new album, and I like the sounds I am hearing so far. 

I'm very much the same with regards to enjoying albums. Put any of them on, and I'll be happy. I totally get your feelings on Gigaton, too. I have some of that, but I also have a bit of escapist feelings towards it, as I really got into it that Spring. I was working from home, my partner was in the office (in an ICU, so...not worrisome at all), and I would go out for drives around town on nice days to just get out of the house and get some fresh air. So, a lot of the songs have this mixed message of "everything is horrible, but it was such a nice day..." thing.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,728
    eboweddie said:
    Avocado, for me is their best album since Yield. I remember the day it was released, sneaking out of work in Ranelagh to get the bus into town to HMV to get a copy. Picked up 10,000 Days by Tool as well. Inside Job is the best song. Makes a great opener too. 
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    deb1211deb1211 Posts: 1,232
    eboweddie said:
    I adore that album!
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,450
    edited February 1
    I found Eddies voice overly "sharp"/harsh on that album. And almost sounds like he has a cold on some songs. I prefer the sound and "recording" of his voice on Riot Act.

It though has a "nostalgic" magic to it. World Wide Suicide, Unemployable and Severed Hand just jolts your body with warm feelings.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,994
    Kearn5y said:
    eboweddie said:
    Avocado, for me is their best album since Yield. I remember the day it was released, sneaking out of work in Ranelagh to get the bus into town to HMV to get a copy. Picked up 10,000 Days by Tool as well. Inside Job is the best song. Makes a great opener too. 
    100%

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,724
    eboweddie said:
    Not a single track to skip..if you have the Torino gig 2006. They played it right through.  Gone. WWS. Army reserve.  Comeback.  Inside Job. Just brilliant songs.  Marker too. And life wasted. Super crafted song 
    Love that Torino show! The crowd was singing along so loud to Come Back, basically a brand new song.

I pretty much like all the albums. A few of 'em have a couple misses, but it's not like any of them are total duds. Some people want everything to sound like Yield (yeah I love Yield too!) or whatever - you can't please everybody.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,339
    eboweddie said:
    THIS!
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    gigaton depresses me a bit, even though I love the music, for the pandemic reason. my ottawa show got cancelled the week before it was supposed to happen, then when time came for the make up show, we couldn't make it happen. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,896
    eboweddie said:

Parachutes is a skip every time for me. I did enjoy it live, though.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."