Options

Tipping Culture Where You Live

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    mace1229 said:
    I remember growing up in the 80s always hearing 15% was standard.
    Honestly, I don't know why you'd ever need to increase the tipping percent. As food prices go up, that 15% is worth more. It's an instant pay raise when prices go up if you keep the percent the same. But 20% seems to be the standard now. Got a double raise.
    agreed 100%
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,452
    edited November 2023
    mace1229 said:
    I remember growing up in the 80s always hearing 15% was standard.
    Honestly, I don't know why you'd ever need to increase the tipping percent. As food prices go up, that 15% is worth more. It's an instant pay raise when prices go up if you keep the percent the same. But 20% seems to be the standard now. Got a double raise.
    agreed 100%
    I do too.

I usually do Tip more then 15% but I still think that is a Fair standard  % for Tipping.

Asking for a Tip just getting Bagels? I agree McGruff: NO WAY!
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,911
    https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/americans-confused-frustrated-tipping-culture-225832792.html

Americans are confused, frustrated by new tipping culture, study finds

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    It's just a new thing. We'll learn to hit "0" more often. 

I've stood behind people buying mixed drinks at hockey games and seen people just tap the 20% button. I tend to just tip $1 for a draft and maybe $2 for a mixed drink if they give me a good pour.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,411
    The boomers are the 15%ers...they didn't graduate to the 20% suggestion
    Boomer here…..I’ve never left less than 20%.  Great servers, those in good moods who engage, and all high school students who wait on me without an attitude get 50%.  I’m not wealthy but I do realize how fortunate I and my family are.  
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,126
    It's just a new thing. We'll learn to hit "0" more often. 

I've stood behind people buying mixed drinks at hockey games and seen people just tap the 20% button. I tend to just tip $1 for a draft and maybe $2 for a mixed drink if they give me a good pour.
    I gotta admit, I struggle with it.  Especially if I have to pay and tip before I even get my food/drink at like a quick service place....

My biggest annoyance is the pre-populated tip %.  Pretty high most of the time.  Even the beer vendors at stadiums have it.  I generally used to tip $1/beer that I was picking up...the pre-populated % start higher than that....takes more time to enter your own and you hold up the line.  Also not sure why I am tipping for a beer I go get at a stand anyhow...but I do.  I hate the tipping culture.  Would like it all baked in and just pay people correctly.  I got the damn tip screen at a self-serve frozen yogurt place.  We picked up our own cups, dispensed our own yogurt, added our own toppings, put our own containers on a scale and paid.  WTF would you tip for?

Now I go get my haircut from the same lady I did when I was in college... I tip between 60%-100% with it usually being about 70%.  I enjoy tipping because I like the lady, she always fits me in and I want to support her small business and her.  That's what tipping should be about.  Tipping for service, friendliness.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Boomer here…..I’ve never left less than 20%.  Great servers, those in good moods who engage, and all high school students who wait on me without an attitude get 50%.  I’m not wealthy but I do realize how fortunate I and my family are.  
    Damn that is high! But it you like it, good for you.  Unless bad service I start at 20% but likely only go to about 30% unless something exceptional.  And it would have to be pretty bad service, then it might only be 15%.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Damn that is high! But it you like it, good for you.  Unless bad service I start at 20% but likely only go to about 30% unless something exceptional.  And it would have to be pretty bad service, then it might only be 15%.  
    Yes, I’m kind of a softie when I start thinking too much about those providing a service and imagine they’re in these jobs not by choice but necessity.  It really is more because I’m just thankful for my own life….if that makes sense.  
  • Options
    If you have to figure out your waitresses tip on your phone then you probably don’t have enough money to eat out in the first place.  
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    edited November 2023
    You've never tipped less than 20%? Or do you mean currently you wouldn't;t tip less?
    Am I wrong, or wasn't 15% standard in the 80s and maybe 90s? Or were my parents just cheap? Pretty sure I remember my grandparents complaining back then that it used to only be 10% a decade before.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    You've never tipped less than 20%?
    Am I wrong, or wasn't;t 15% standard in the 80s? Or were my parents just cheap?
    I really don’t think I have!  Even when service is off I tend to feel like “everyone has a bad day” or imagine they’re going through something that has nothing to do with me.  15% was standard - then 18%. I was raised by a man who would put a 20 in his hand then approach the homeless (who weren’t asking for it) telling them “hey you dropped this”.  I’m just fortunate I married someone who felt the same way I do about tipping.  Plus 20% is easier to figure out!!! 😂
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    If you have to figure out your waitresses tip on your phone then you probably don’t have enough money to eat out in the first place.  
    how's the view from that tower?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mace1229 said:
    I really don’t think I have!  Even when service is off I tend to feel like “everyone has a bad day” or imagine they’re going through something that has nothing to do with me.  15% was standard - then 18%. I was raised by a man who would put a 20 in his hand then approach the homeless (who weren’t asking for it) telling them “hey you dropped this”.  I’m just fortunate I married someone who felt the same way I do about tipping.  Plus 20% is easier to figure out!!! 😂
    I also have rarely tipped below 20% and in those cases it has only been for extremely poor service.  My mom was a waitress and tips paid our bills growing up and I was always taught how little servers make and how much they depend on tips.  I also tip on the post tax amount unlike some of you cheap skates around here looking to worm out of paying an extra $0.26. Shame on you all!
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    Or you maybe drank a little too much.....
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    I also have rarely tipped below 20% and in those cases it has only been for extremely poor service.  My mom was a waitress and tips paid our bills growing up and I was always taught how little servers make and how much they depend on tips.  I also tip on the post tax amount unlike some of you cheap skates around here looking to worm out of paying an extra $0.26. Shame on you all!
    I can't tell if that is serious or not. But why should I tip on the tax?
    Seems unnecessary to tip on the percentage that the government charges. Tip on the services the restaurant prices which is billed to you. They are not providing any tax services, so no need to tip on it.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    Some receipts will print the tip amounts for 20% 22% 25%, etc. I have noticed that some do base that on the total amount rather than the pre-tax amount. 

I generally tip on the post tax amount only because I just got used to doing it that way. I'm definitely paying more attention to that now.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,520
    We had a night out at our local Mexican restaurant earlier this year that left my math skills a bit fuzzy. It might have been the margaritas that came in pitchers.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Some receipts will print the tip amounts for 20% 22% 25%, etc. I have noticed that some do base that on the total amount rather than the pre-tax amount. 

I generally tip on the post tax amount only because I just got used to doing it that way. I'm definitely paying more attention to that now.
    I've noticed that too. And when it's broken down, it's almost always post tax. That's why I usually pick the 18% if they have options, which is about equal to 20% pre tax.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    Funny because it’s true!  
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    Funny because it’s true!  
    There are a lot (a lot!) of stupid people who have plenty of money.
    I'm sure we both know quite a few.

(Although, I agree on the basic idea that figuring out 15 or 20 percent of a number is basic math that any able minded adult should be able to easily do....)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    how's the view from that tower?
    There’s plenty of times when we were first married that I took a calculator with me to the store because we only had $98 bi-weekly to spend on food and that also had to include formula and diapers.  So my point is  we didn’t eat out back then.  You know, priorities.  

I wouldn’t call it a tower, but it is and was more than most had and for that I thank God everyday.  
  • Options
    Funny because it’s true!  
    There are a lot (a lot!) of stupid people who have plenty of money.
    I'm sure we both know quite a few.

(Although, I agree on the basic idea that figuring out 15 or 20 percent of a number is basic math that any able minded adult should be able to easily do....)
    Yes that post came out totally wrong.  😑 I didn’t mean they were stupid (horrible word) I meant if 2% (gratuity still 18%?) makes that big of a difference, when 20% is so much easier, then maybe prioritizing isn’t your strongest attribute.  Honestly, it’s not mine either sometimes (too many pj concerts in a row!). 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    edited November 2023
    Also, I know everyone is different but I'm very surprised to see how many people here feel pressured by the option to tip.  As a few have pointed out, just bypass and don't tip or put Other and tip what you like.  Wonder why this makes people uptight, anxious, or in some way to feel badly.
    I don't give a fuck one way or the other.  If I want to tip, I do.  If I don't, I don't.  

I don't think this option is going away so I hope that folks can get comfortable with saying no if that is what they want, and not feeling like they need to take out their feelings on folks who depend on tips in more traditional settings due to the new tech options in untraditional tipping settings.
    the passive aggressiveness of the "would you like any change?", even when I give two fifties on a $60 bill. lol. um, YEAH

That's the rude way to say it, and servers should know better. I was a server for years all through post-secondary, and the polite way is to just say, "I'll be right back with your change." Then have that opportunity to say, "no, that's okay, no change!" if they want to give it to you as a tip, but they aren't being asked for a tip at all.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608

My only thought is that someone who needs to do that really has to brush up on their basic math skills.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Just took our kids to get a haircut yesterday. They’re 7 and 9, so I take them to a basic, no thrill place. I go there too actually.
    Kids haircut was $16. When I swiped my card it gave me 3 options for a tip; $5, $7 or $9. Seemed a little ridiculous to me. Spent less than 10 minutes on each kid, and to expect a minimum of $5 tip each?
    Of course they had the custom option, which I did and I usually tip $4, which is still 25%,. But it just makes me feel like they expect more when their minimum option is higher than what I think it should be.
    I’d prefer a place like a hair cut, to just charge wha they expect you to pay, and don’t ask for a tip. If they want $23 for a kids cut, then charge 23. Don’t charge 16 then ask me to make up the difference.
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,403
    Went to an upscale restaurant last night. Left the waiter $50 on a $180 bill. Now this guy busted his ass. Cleared the table immediately after each course, drinks and water were never empty, good jokes, and made the meal an experience. No problem leaving a nice tip.

The flip side, stopped by a dispensary. Walked to the counter told the person what I wanted, they rung it up. Total transaction time from the door to inserting the bank card, three minutes. Of course the tablet went to the tip screen, 18, 20, 25%. Tip left=$0.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Just took our kids to get a haircut yesterday. They’re 7 and 9, so I take them to a basic, no thrill place. I go there too actually.
    Kids haircut was $16. When I swiped my card it gave me 3 options for a tip; $5, $7 or $9. Seemed a little ridiculous to me. Spent less than 10 minutes on each kid, and to expect a minimum of $5 tip each?
    Of course they had the custom option, which I did and I usually tip $4, which is still 25%,. But it just makes me feel like they expect more when their minimum option is higher than what I think it should be.
    I’d prefer a place like a hair cut, to just charge wha they expect you to pay, and don’t ask for a tip. If they want $23 for a kids cut, then charge 23. Don’t charge 16 then ask me to make up the difference.
    Agreed on this
     Charge the price you want the  customer can choose to use your service or not.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Are tips exempt from tax?. Is this why it's a big thing?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,481
    I got some gas this past weekend at a local station and when I paid with debit card, the machine asked if I wanted to leave a tip. That was an easy NO.
    but tipping for getting fuel, that’s a little ridiculous!
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    Are tips exempt from tax?. Is this why it's a big thing?
    No, they aren’t exempt. But I guarantee most people don’t claim them when you tip in cash. I don’t know how the paper trail works when you tip using your card, but if it’s not on any official record they aren’t being claimed either.