Options

Tipping Culture Where You Live

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,684
    Also, I know everyone is different but I'm very surprised to see how many people here feel pressured by the option to tip.  As a few have pointed out, just bypass and don't tip or put Other and tip what you like.  Wonder why this makes people uptight, anxious, or in some way to feel badly.
    I don't give a fuck one way or the other.  If I want to tip, I do.  If I don't, I don't.  

I don't think this option is going away so I hope that folks can get comfortable with saying no if that is what they want, and not feeling like they need to take out their feelings on folks who depend on tips in more traditional settings due to the new tech options in untraditional tipping settings.
    I wish we all had your confidence. My pants get so piss soaked whenever I'm confronted with a tip screen.
    Hahaha.  

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,894
    Also, I know everyone is different but I'm very surprised to see how many people here feel pressured by the option to tip.  As a few have pointed out, just bypass and don't tip or put Other and tip what you like.  Wonder why this makes people uptight, anxious, or in some way to feel badly.
    I don't give a fuck one way or the other.  If I want to tip, I do.  If I don't, I don't.  

I don't think this option is going away so I hope that folks can get comfortable with saying no if that is what they want, and not feeling like they need to take out their feelings on folks who depend on tips in more traditional settings due to the new tech options in untraditional tipping settings.
    the passive aggressiveness of the "would you like any change?", even when I give two fifties on a $60 bill. lol. um, YEAH
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Try the English way.  You might never tip again once you start just not doing it
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    it's ingrained in our culture. I know some don't for their own reasons, but while it seems strange to do (even with the aforementioned inconsistencies on which jobs we tip vs ones we don't-they all make the same minimum wage), it's just "normal" here. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,006
    At hockey games if someone IDs me and makes me take my ID out of the see through slip in my wallet I don't tip them. That really pisses me off.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,684
    Try the English way.  You might never tip again once you start just not doing it
    I think if I was in England and people didn't get paid below living wage I would have a different view.  Here in the US, it is different, given the way that workers in these service environments get paid.

• Options
    At hockey games if someone IDs me and makes me take my ID out of the see through slip in my wallet I don't tip them. That really pisses me off.
    Ha.  In general I agree with this.  I'm very clearly well past 21.  Just glance at the ID I show, in the window of my wallet, if your policy dictates that you must ask for ID.  Don't make me take it out!
  • Options
    You don't seem to get that the servers in the US depend on tips for their livelihood. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,954
    edited November 2023
    Why do we tip the person who opens two beers for us at a game but not the person who gets our burgers, dogs and sodas at the next stand over? 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Ha.  In general I agree with this.  I'm very clearly well past 21.  Just glance at the ID I show, in the window of my wallet, if your policy dictates that you must ask for ID.  Don't make me take it out!
    That's very possibly a company policy though... I know at Fenway & the Garden, they ID 100% of people who are buying alcohol. It's ridiculous, to card a senior citizen, or someone like me who has as much gray in their beard as I do, but in the end it's their policy... the people serving beer don't set it. 
  • Options
    Yeah it really burns my ass. Especially when I've been waiting in line for five minutes and there is still a big line behind me. I get IDing everyone that looks 30 or less but clearly way beyond that. And she's so chipper about it. That pisses me off even more. 

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    That's very possibly a company policy though... I know at Fenway & the Garden, they ID 100% of people who are buying alcohol. It's ridiculous, to card a senior citizen, or someone like me who has as much gray in their beard as I do, but in the end it's their policy... the people serving beer don't set it. 
    I agree and think you are correct.  Is the policy that the IDs have to come out of the sleeve?
    If so, I understand.   If not, it stinks.  
    Guess I should not be bummed.

mcgruff10 said:
    Why do we tip the person who opens two beers for us at a game but not the person who gets our burgers, dogs and sodas at the next stand over? 
    At events now I'm seeing the tip options on the terminal for both of these stands.
    Within the last few years this changed....
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,149
    edited November 2023
    You don't seem to get that the servers in the US depend on tips for their livelihood. 
    I'm not a fucking idiot. But people here are saying they dislike it and don't understand why they tip everyone sure tip under paid folk but that's not what people are doing,so they are tipping absolutely everything they do. Ok so tip a low paid worker if you know for a fact they get the tip because some places the money is taken and pooled between all staff. .
    Just maybe start by only giving money directly to a waitress. And leave all the MUST tip.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,040
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I feel absolutely no obligation to tip anyone besides who we've always tipped, like servers and bartenders, delivery drivers, and cab/uber drivers. And of course my hair stylist. I don't even think twice about all those other requests for tips, like for cashiers etc etc. They can ask all they want - why not? It's their right. But that doesn't mean anyone should feel like they ought to be doing it.
    There is always an "other" option on those credit card machines, so I don't care about the 3 options starting at 15% either... Not that I would ever tip less than that if the service is decent.
    I rarely do tip outside the areas you mentioned. But it does make me uncomfortable when I get a self serve something, and they say "the card reader will ask you a few questions" then face it towards me, and look right at me as I select "no tip." That would be like if you paid cash then they wave a tip jar in your face as they handed you your change and said "would you like to tip us with any off that change?"
    I read an article a couple months ago that addressed this, and said that these workers feel uncomfortable too, because it's just the default of the POS they use. I don't know if I believe that, there's got to be a way to bypass it if you wanted to just have a tip jar on the side. How would they make a program like that where you couldn't customize anything? I 100% believe its on purpose to make more.
    It's definitely more efficient for the server. They don't have to bring you the bill, take your card and go back to the terminal, then return to the table with a paper receipt, then process the receipt. It's all done in a few seconds.

But yeah....I don't like it. I generally don't blame the server for much as bad service is generally a factor of the place being understaffed or poorly managed.

There was a big controversy in my town on facebook related to a local Subway shop that supposedly does not allocate credit card tips. An ex-employee was saying that they get to split cash tips but charged tips are just kept by the shop. That's jacked up. 

I assume the owner thinks that he is paying everyone well enough and that it just helps him do that....but I've never tipped at McD's or any other fast food joint. Not sure why a Subway employee should get a tip really.
    I don't mind that with a sit down restaurant where I plan to tip. But its those self serve frozen yogurt or places like that where I don't feel the need, but they ask me and stare at me while I select no.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,544
    edited November 2023
    I'm not a fucking idiot. But people here are saying they dislike it and don't understand why they tip everyone sure tip under paid folk but that's not what people are doing,so they are tipping absolutely everything they do. Ok so tip a low paid worker if you know for a fact they get the tip because some places the money is taken and pooled between all staff. .
    Just maybe start by only giving money directly to a waitress. And leave all the MUST tip
    Respectfully,, I think you're missing some of the nuance of the conversation. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I feel absolutely no obligation to tip anyone besides who we've always tipped, like servers and bartenders, delivery drivers, and cab/uber drivers. And of course my hair stylist. I don't even think twice about all those other requests for tips, like for cashiers etc etc. They can ask all they want - why not? It's their right. But that doesn't mean anyone should feel like they ought to be doing it.
    There is always an "other" option on those credit card machines, so I don't care about the 3 options starting at 15% either... Not that I would ever tip less than that if the service is decent.
    I rarely do tip outside the areas you mentioned. But it does make me uncomfortable when I get a self serve something, and they say "the card reader will ask you a few questions" then face it towards me, and look right at me as I select "no tip." That would be like if you paid cash then they wave a tip jar in your face as they handed you your change and said "would you like to tip us with any off that change?"
    I read an article a couple months ago that addressed this, and said that these workers feel uncomfortable too, because it's just the default of the POS they use. I don't know if I believe that, there's got to be a way to bypass it if you wanted to just have a tip jar on the side. How would they make a program like that where you couldn't customize anything? I 100% believe its on purpose to make more.
    There is for sure no way for a person working the register to bypass the point of sale card reader settings.  (I worked for almost 20 years running a business where we supported national retail technology deployments, including pin pad/ card reader configurations)

I didn't mean the cashier bypass it. But the business as a whole. When they set up the payment system, I assume there's a way to not have it on there, especially for places that generally don't require tips. Can they not customize a POS for a business? I assumed they could. 
  • Options
    I don't mind whipping out my ID if it's policy...but to make me pull it out of the sleeve is just being cunty. She can see that it is an IN drivers license and I'm clearly over 50. Plus no one else makes me pull it out of the sleeve. They just glance and go like a non-cunty person.

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    There is for sure no way for a person working the register to bypass the point of sale card reader settings.  (I worked for almost 20 years running a business where we supported national retail technology deployments, including pin pad/ card reader configurations)

I didn't mean the cashier bypass it. But the business as a whole. When they set up the payment system, I assume there's a way to not have it on there, especially for places that generally don't require tips. Can they not customize a POS for a business? I assumed they could. 
    You specifically referenced fhe workers....so that was what I was commenting on.
    The parent company (or owner for small shops) can make that selection as to what gets included in the configuration of their payment encryption device....yes, you are correct with that.  💯 
  • Options
    I don't mind whipping out my ID if it's policy...but to make me pull it out of the sleeve is just being cunty. She can see that it is an IN drivers license and I'm clearly over 50. Plus no one else makes me pull it out of the sleeve. They just glance and go like a non-cunty person.
    I guess I'm just used to it after 20+ years of the policy at Fenway & The Garden. If you want a beer, you have your ID out.

It's not the servers setting this policy, and if the server is observed half assing the ID check by a narc from the alcohol board, then they lose their job... that's how I look at it. 

Maybe where you are it's more the individual server being an asshole... I can't speak for that. 
  • Options
    I guess I'm just used to it after 20+ years of the policy at Fenway & The Garden. If you want a beer, you have your ID out.

It's not the servers setting this policy, and if the server is observed half assing the ID check by a narc from the alcohol board, then they lose their job... that's how I look at it. 

Maybe where you are it's more the individual server being an asshole... I can't speak for that. 
    Yeah she's on a power trip. She's so important that she just has to have that ID out of the sleeve even though she has served me 100 times.

Like I said...no one else makes me pull it out. And I've seen her do it to others while I'm in line. Her tips must suck.

• Options
    LBCeddieLBCeddie Posts: 108
    edited November 2023
    Just maybe start by only giving money directly to a waitress. And leave all the MUST tip.
    Yes you are, and a cheap one at that. 
    Post edited by LBCeddie on
  • Options
    I'm very cheap. Free pretty much
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,487
    LBCeddie said:

Nice.

The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    What? Only 90% tip at a sit down restaurant? Do nearly 10% really regularly walk out with tipping?

"Americans’ tipping behaviors also vary by business. More than 90% of people say they always or often leave a tip at sit-down restaurants, 78% when getting a haircut, 76% for food delivery and 61% taking a taxi or ride-share."
  • Options
    LBCeddie said:
    it would nice if you could take into consideration different cultural/national practices when deciding to insult someone like that. it's ignorant. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    What? Only 90% tip at a sit down restaurant? Do nearly 10% really regularly walk out with tipping?

"Americans’ tipping behaviors also vary by business. More than 90% of people say they always or often leave a tip at sit-down restaurants, 78% when getting a haircut, 76% for food delivery and 61% taking a taxi or ride-share."
    haha, I was going to say 90% is really high. I would imagine loads of people in Canada don't tip, and not because we're cheap or mean or whatever some people infer. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    The boomers are the 15%ers...they didn't graduate to the 20% suggestion

• Options
    I remember growing up in the 80s always hearing 15% was standard.
    Honestly, I don't know why you'd ever need to increase the tipping percent. As food prices go up, that 15% is worth more. It's an instant pay raise when prices go up if you keep the percent the same. But 20% seems to be the standard now. Got a double raise.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,954
    Just bought a dozen bagels and on checkout there was an option for a tip. Ugh no. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......