Options

Tipping Culture Where You Live

Comments

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,659
    People seem to get irritated about the tip options on the tablet thingys. I just hit no tip and then tip in cash, depending on the situation. If you decide to not feel pressured you won’t feel pressured. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    the other thing that always kind of irked me, having worked in the kitchen. Kitchen staff get tipped out, maximum at 5% of the wait staff's tips. And where I worked, it was on the honour system. You know fucking well they weren't disclosing how much they made that shift. And if her service was trash, but the food was good, she's still getting a tip, all because of me. On the flip side, if the food was trash, but she gave great service, that should also be recognized.

Restaurant electronic payment devices should have a split option:

50/50 kitchen/server
    100/0 kitchen/server and vice versa
    custom
    But the kitchen people get at least minimum wage right? Waitresses (at least in the US) generally get paid like $2.70/hour so it makes sense to me to send a small amount to the kitchen.

I generally tip 20% in restaurants although I've recently learned that it should be 20% of the pretax amount...I generally just do 20% after sales tax so I guess I overtip a bit.

10% for carryout orders like Chinese food or pizza, etc., since they have to go through the effort of boxing it up.

I usually tip $1/drink at hockey games for a beer/drink. 
    how does a wait staff get paid LESS THAN MINIMUM? don't you have labour laws? when I worked in the kitchen, kitchen staff got paid about the same as wait staff. maybe a bit more (like 20 cents an hour) if they'd been there a while. minimum wage here is like $15 something an hour. $2.70 per hour? wtf is this china?
    Since it is customary to tip in full service restaurants that is our server rate. It's actually $2.13/hour in Indiana and several other states.
    It varies by state. In California it's the same minimum wage as any other job. Not sure if its like that in any other state.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,651
    People seem to get irritated about the tip options on the tablet thingys. I just hit no tip and then tip in cash, depending on the situation. If you decide to not feel pressured you won’t feel pressured. 
    Agree 💯 

mace1229 said:
    the other thing that always kind of irked me, having worked in the kitchen. Kitchen staff get tipped out, maximum at 5% of the wait staff's tips. And where I worked, it was on the honour system. You know fucking well they weren't disclosing how much they made that shift. And if her service was trash, but the food was good, she's still getting a tip, all because of me. On the flip side, if the food was trash, but she gave great service, that should also be recognized.

Restaurant electronic payment devices should have a split option:

50/50 kitchen/server
    100/0 kitchen/server and vice versa
    custom
    But the kitchen people get at least minimum wage right? Waitresses (at least in the US) generally get paid like $2.70/hour so it makes sense to me to send a small amount to the kitchen.

I generally tip 20% in restaurants although I've recently learned that it should be 20% of the pretax amount...I generally just do 20% after sales tax so I guess I overtip a bit.

10% for carryout orders like Chinese food or pizza, etc., since they have to go through the effort of boxing it up.

I usually tip $1/drink at hockey games for a beer/drink. 
    how does a wait staff get paid LESS THAN MINIMUM? don't you have labour laws? when I worked in the kitchen, kitchen staff got paid about the same as wait staff. maybe a bit more (like 20 cents an hour) if they'd been there a while. minimum wage here is like $15 something an hour. $2.70 per hour? wtf is this china?
    Since it is customary to tip in full service restaurants that is our server rate. It's actually $2.13/hour in Indiana and several other states.
    It varies by state. In California it's the same minimum wage as any other job. Not sure if its like that in any other state.
    There are 6-7 states like this - every other state has subminimum wage for tip earners.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    I usually tip 20% as a base for any bartenders / wait staff. More if they're great. 

I might tip a buck or two per round to a bartender at a concert or game, but not 20%.

People just running cash registers? Screw that. Sorry, but if you're working at  brewery and ring me up for one or two 4-packs, there's no way I'm tipping on that. 
    Yeah this is about where I'm at.  Being asked for tips just about everywhere these days has gotten so out of hand.  I'm not tipping the guy who took 30 seconds to make my sandwich at Jimmy John's.
    yep...or the guy that sells you a T-shirt at a concert
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    Agreed, and it's nice when they turn the tablet to you as opposed to actually asking. 
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,450
    I also find it odd that I'm asked to tip at my the spa where I'll get a massage. But WTF, I'm paying $130 for a 50 minute massage. Why the fuck should I tip a professional? I don't tip my physiotherapist. And my usual non-spa massage therapist doesn't ask for tips. But they both took the same education for what they are doing. 
    Not sure how it's done where you go to, but the person who gives me my massage(same person for about 6 years) told me if they have no Clients they don't get paid. And they get a percentage of the cost when they do. So, they really need tips where I go. I think I give a good tip.

Man, you must be going to a High-Falutin place as I pay $131 for a 90 Minute massage.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,659
    cutz said:
    I also find it odd that I'm asked to tip at my the spa where I'll get a massage. But WTF, I'm paying $130 for a 50 minute massage. Why the fuck should I tip a professional? I don't tip my physiotherapist. And my usual non-spa massage therapist doesn't ask for tips. But they both took the same education for what they are doing. 
    Not sure how it's done where you go to, but the person who gives me my massage(same person for about 6 years) told me if they have no Clients they don't get paid. And they get a percentage of the cost when they do. So, they really need tips where I go. I think I give a good tip.

Man, you must be going to a High-Falutin place as I pay $131 for a 90 Minute massage.
    His massage:

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    Clarify my first comment, I am happy to tip 20% on a full service restaurant if the service is average. I just find it annoying that that is the minimum amount presented, and goes up to 30 or 35% If you're going to give me options, start at 10 or 15%. We've all had food served cold, wrong orders served, food over/under cooked. I might tip 15% in those cases. And if its fast casual, where I stand in line to order and pick up my own food, don't expect the same tip a full service restaurant does and present me with the same 20-35% options. 

I find it odd what we do and don't tip. Like you said, you're expected to tip a massage, or hair cut, or any other number of things. But you don't tip your doctor for saving your life, your chiropractor for straightening out your back, your mail man for bringing mail in the snow, the pilot for making a smooth landing, or any other number of people who work as hard or harder and are honestly more important in some ways. I can't figure out the formula that decides who we do and don't tip.
    Yeah, but the amount a DR & Chiropractor  charge, the Tip is already on the Bill>HA
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,651
    cutz said:

Rub down at the Kraft-Watson Massage Parlor
  • Options
    We don't tip at all here . 

this is what I find interesting. I've read that tipping in some places is not only not done, it's sometimes considered an insult. I think tipping is more of a north american thing. 
    Yeah, in Ireland, I always forget and throw down extra for the bartender (usually cause I'm in the whiskey and forget where I am). 

It's frowned upon by other patrons, but the staff sure as hell doesn't mind. 
    oh, ok, when I heard it was frowned upon, I thought it was the staff they were referring to (like treating them lower than you)
    IDK, lastexitlondon can probably clarify... but I feel like for staff to get offended by that would be to ignore the culture we're coming from. We're not doing it to be arrogant or throw our money around, it's literally how society works where we're from. 

I feel weird NOT tipping a waiter or bartender, it's ingrained in us. 
    Oh no I don't think anyone would think it rude but just not a thing that happens much maybe in a bar we might offer a drink for the person serving like have one on me kind of thing.
    I would think they get a very good hourly/salary rate?
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    cutz said:
    mace1229 said:
    Clarify my first comment, I am happy to tip 20% on a full service restaurant if the service is average. I just find it annoying that that is the minimum amount presented, and goes up to 30 or 35% If you're going to give me options, start at 10 or 15%. We've all had food served cold, wrong orders served, food over/under cooked. I might tip 15% in those cases. And if its fast casual, where I stand in line to order and pick up my own food, don't expect the same tip a full service restaurant does and present me with the same 20-35% options. 

I find it odd what we do and don't tip. Like you said, you're expected to tip a massage, or hair cut, or any other number of things. But you don't tip your doctor for saving your life, your chiropractor for straightening out your back, your mail man for bringing mail in the snow, the pilot for making a smooth landing, or any other number of people who work as hard or harder and are honestly more important in some ways. I can't figure out the formula that decides who we do and don't tip.
    Yeah, but the amount a DR & Chiropractor  charge, the Tip is already on the Bill>HA
    Okay, but there are hundreds of other jobs that don't, and we still don't tip. City bus drivers, the guy at the meat department who cut up the meat for you, your garbage truck driver, the nurse working at the Dr office who probably spent more time with you than the doctor himself. All probably make less per hour than a decent waiter at a good restaurant if they have a good shift.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    edited October 2023
    cutz said:

my regular massage therapist is the normal $80 for an hour rate. Very clinical, like a doctor's office. the $130 for 50 minutes is the spa experience I like to treat myself to once in a while. Depending on the place, they have saunas, complimentary snacks, quiet rooms to read, hot tubs. 

And no, not rub n tugs. I don't go to any establishment I have to look up on private mode on my phone. lol

the way it works for the woman I go to I think it similar to any chiro, etc. They have to pay rent for the space they utilize, and they keep all their revenue. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited October 2023
    I know people who give their postal worker xmas gifts ever year. why? he's doing his job. for not smashing your packages? and normally, yes, I understand "don't do if you don't want to" but now I know a group of postal workers that bash people that don't shower them with gifts for merely doing their jobs. 

I'm a junior accountant (AKA no designation/lower pay). Give me a tip for balancing your fucking books. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I know people who give their postal worker xmas gifts ever year. why? he's doing his job. for not smashing your packages? and normally, yes, I understand "don't do if you don't want to" but now I know a group of postal workers that bash people that don't shower them with gifts for merely doing their jobs. 

I'm a junior accountant (AKA no designation/lower pay). Give me a tip for balancing your fucking books. 
    We would give gifts to our mailman growing up. My mom stayed at home, my dad was often home during the day because of his job. Not as a tip, but when you see the same guy every single day and make small talk, you become casual friends. We didn't give him a Rolex watch or anything, but maybe a bag of cookies or a small gif card for $5 or $10.
    Now I don't even see the same guy long enough to know him. I think they have shortages in workers and have to do a lot of floating routes. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

We would give gifts to our mailman growing up. My mom stayed at home, my dad was often home during the day because of his job. Not as a tip, but when you see the same guy every single day and make small talk, you become casual friends. We didn't give him a Rolex watch or anything, but maybe a bag of cookies or a small gif card for $5 or $10.
    Now I don't even see the same guy long enough to know him. I think they have shortages in workers and have to do a lot of floating routes. 
    absolutely, but what I'm talking about here isn't people who see their mailperson every day like back in the day. My dad used to tip the paperboy, the milk guy, and maybe the mail man too. what I'm referring to is the person who never sees their mail person. A friend of mine and her coworkers seem to think a thin layer of snow that wasn't shoveled the second it hit the ground (when most are at work) requires extra compensation. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    We gift the mailman, the housekeeper, the babysitter, or anyone else who provides services of value, when provided throughout the year.
  • Options
    the housekeeper? this your house?

Maid in Chelsea - Mansion Global
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    the housekeeper? this your house?

Maid in Chelsea - Mansion Global
    We haven't brought then back since Covid.  The place just doesn't look the same.
  • Options
    "my house got dust RHINOS since we let the help go"
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Not sure what that means.
  • Options
    Not sure what that means.
    instead of dust bunnies. there's a local band from here called The Dust Rhinos. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Definitely more dust
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,909
    edited October 2023
    I go:
    20-25% at a restaurant 
    $1-2 a drink if paying with cash.  20% with a card 
    usually $10-$15 for a food delivery 
    $20-$50 for my ups and usps worker during the holidays (providing I have the same person all year)
    I used to tip my trash man but now it’s just an arm that puts my can in the truck so nada.  
    A couple bucks if I order take out and pick it up myself.  
    Usually a $20 Amazon gift card around the holidays for my son’s teacher.  
    When I go to the barber, it costs $22 for a haircut and I tip $5.   
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    What would happen if you didn't tip? Would you be frowned upon?
    Seems like a lot of extra expenses on top of already expensive things.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    I guess it might depend of what you were buying.  In a transactional setting (getting a beer or a hot dog at a sporting event) I would be surprised if anything was said.
    If you didn't tip on a large restaurant bill I would think the manager would come over and ask if everything was OK, what they could do better next time, etc.  It is customary in US and the wait staff depend on it to make liveable wages in most states.  (Setting aside how anyone feels about  the fact that they get paid less than minimum wage should make this understandable)  

For all other instances?  I'm not sure
      As a generous tipper I am used to getting positive feedback from people.   I can count on one hand the times I've either not tipped for a large meal or left a small tip to be somewhat insulting to the wait staff.  These were instances where the service was horrid and I was hoping people would say something
      They never did.  Think they knew why.

• Options
    more than frowned upon, a restaurant will almost see it as skipping out on part of the bill unless you justify it.
    If I've had horrible service, I'll tip maybe $1 just to show I didn't forget to add it. That is rare, can only think of twice where that has happened.
    One time I did actually just forget, and the manager followed me out into the parking lot to ask me why I didn't tip. I felt so bad, and stupid. But his demeanor was more irritated with me like I was skipping out, more than asking what was wrong with the service. He was sort of right, but it was an accident. 
  • Options
    It's actually not uncommon for restaurants to add 18 or 20% tip to the bill for parties of 6 or more. I've even seen a few restaurants recently just do it to all bills, but I've only seen that a couple times.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,909
    I hate when restaurants add 4% to your bill when you use your check or credit card to cover their fees.   
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    mcgruff10 said:
    I hate when restaurants add 4% to your bill when you use your check or credit card to cover their fees.   
    That is becoming much more common. Probably going to be the norm soon.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    That is becoming much more common. Probably going to be the norm soon.

I work for a manufacturer and we're asking our customers to switch over to paying by check or ACH so we don't have to start implementing a credit card service fee.