Options

Pearl Jam Vs Ames Bros: 13 Years Of Tour Posters

Comments

• Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    so ... how long before someone slarts "carefully slicing" out pages of this book and starts selling them on ebay?

it'll happen.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    pjtaper wrote:
    Haha, that's my brother... I'm the dude in a tux...
    I'm just really annoyed, they could have made the price a little more fair, but I think the main reason I'm annoyed all week is because I thought the "Tweet" meant Ed Solo shows...

Your posts are always rediculous... whether you are "annoyed" or not
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    pjtaper wrote:
    Haha, that's my brother... I'm the dude in a tux...
    I'm just really annoyed, they could have made the price a little more fair, but I think the main reason I'm annoyed all week is because I thought the "Tweet" meant Ed Solo shows...

Hopefully places like Amazon and the like will get the book eventually (like they did with the Gorge set). If they do and it is a reasonable price I will probably buy it. $20 shipping to Canada is pretty steep. Amazon can ship me the entire James Bond Collection as well as the Complete Seinfeld ($400 worth of stuff) for almost half that.
  • Options
    Hopefully places like Amazon and the like will get the book eventually (like they did with the Gorge set). If they do and it is a reasonable price I will probably buy it. $20 shipping to Canada is pretty steep. Amazon can ship me the entire James Bond Collection as well as the Complete Seinfeld ($400 worth of stuff) for almost half that.

yeah, but 10c ain't amazon ... it's not like they got a fleet of people working ...

note how it stated books would not go out until at least Dec 1? it's going to be a while before they get the books, and the posters out ... lots of labor ...

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    schmoffschmoff Posts: 428

things ship by weight not value
    50+ shows and lost count somewhere along the way
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    yeah, but 10c ain't amazon ... it's not like they got a fleet of people working ...

note how it stated books would not go out until at least Dec 1? it's going to be a while before they get the books, and the posters out ... lots of labor ...

I understand that they don't work on anywhere near the same scale as Amazon would. But regardless I have always found tenclub shipping prices to disproportionaly high.
    schmoff wrote:
    things ship by weight not value

Which I why I found something that cost way more than the book. You don't think that 2 DVD sets with 9 seasons of Seinfeld and 20+ James Bond movies would be of similar size to the poster book.
  • Options
    ClaudiaClaudia Posts: 398
    sorry but the shipping price is ridiculous
  • Options
    kj1nyr wrote:
    I immediately put the special edition in my cart without a thought, and then I saw the $200 price tag and got verklempt! But I pulled out my Visa and sang an early "Happy Birthday" to me.

Glad my hubby doesn't even look at the bills or I'd be cajoled into buying someone a freakin' $200 comic book!!

Those extras better be flippin' awesome!
    (threw that in there for Speedy) ;)

Peace,
    KJ

I reread the extras section, the 3 posters, the mylar section on screen printing ... wallet time ... done and done ... I'm such a sucker.

Rule of thumb ... if it's good enough for KJ, it's good enough for me. :D

• Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    einatshaul wrote:
    But that is INSANE!

should I just have it shipped to a friend in the States who will ship it over to me?!
    Not a bad idea .... it would definitely be faster, and probably cheaper too.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    moses562moses562 Posts: 1,382
    pjtaper wrote:
    I'd pay 200 for a Klausen book that had 1/10 as many pics/pages in it...
    THIS DEAL SUCKS!

"264 pages featuring 229 posters designed by Ames Bros and Brad Klausen."

Uh... If I'm not mistaken Klausen's posters are in here too... check the "News" section and you'll see Klausen's dragon poster...

Thank you Ten Club... for helping me spend my financial aid money wisely.
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    $200 is a lot, but . . . will I regret this in 2 months if I go the cheaper route? Hmmm . . .

Seeing as they probably will not sell all 2,600 copies right away, I'm going to take a few days to think about it.

(By the way, that comes up to $520,000 for Ames. The must need the money to afford to buy a condo in the Seattle housing market.)
  • Options
    itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    just pre-ordered the standard, NZ$118 inc shipping isn't too bad, about as much as a good night out on the town, yay for our $$!! :D
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Options
    AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    hee hee

I don't have the $ for either book but I think it's really cool

and $200 for a book?

I can't believe anybody would pay that kind of money.

I don't care if the pages are layed out on 14K Gold I wouldn't pay that much money for 1 book :)
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Options
    I understand that they don't work on anywhere near the same scale as Amazon would. But regardless I have always found tenclub shipping prices to disproportionaly high.

That's why it's shipping and HANDLING. They've got to pay the people who are packaging this stuff up... they've got to pay someone to take the outgoing boxes to the post office every day (your friendly neighborhood mailman isn't going to be loading his truck up every day with 50+ boxes). If they just do it with the small staff they have now, everyone in this place is going to be pissing and moaning that it's "taking forever" to get their book.
  • Options
    Allie wrote:
    hee hee

I don't have the $ for either book but I think it's really cool

and $200 for a book?

I can't believe anybody would pay that kind of money.

I don't care if the pages are layed out on 14K Gold I wouldn't pay that much money for 1 book :)

you can pitch in your $200 to A-rod's new contract. :D

• Options
    Motown322 wrote:
    That's why it's shipping and HANDLING. They've got to pay the people who are packaging this stuff up... they've got to pay someone to take the outgoing boxes to the post office every day (your friendly neighborhood mailman isn't going to be loading his truck up every day with 50+ boxes). If they just do it with the small staff they have now, everyone in this place is going to be pissing and moaning that it's "taking forever" to get their book.

You don't even want to get me started on how I think Handling is the biggest rip off in the entire mail order industry. When I go grocery shopping there isn't a separate line item on my receipt to cover the cost of the bag boy putting the groceries in my bag. And it is not like I can opt out of the Handling charge and pick it up myself. The cost of an item should cover all the overhead expenses to sell that item plus profit.
  • Options
    PJ20PJ20 Miami, FL Posts: 94
    Here are some pictures of the special edition:
    http://www.bigpopposters.com/viewExtraImg.asp?UID=426

Does it say anywhere how big the book is? Not pages but dimensions. Because that Art of Modern Rock book was bigger than I thought it was from seeing it online. That book was 13.2 x 11.4 x 1.7 inches (according to Amazon). Do you think this is similar?
  • Options
    Bluwapadoo wrote:
    Here are some pictures of the special edition:
    http://www.bigpopposters.com/viewExtraImg.asp?UID=426

Does it say anywhere how big the book is? Not pages but dimensions. Because that Art of Modern Rock book was bigger than I thought it was from seeing it online. That book was 13.2 x 11.4 x 1.7 inches (according to Amazon). Do you think this is similar?

cncnetrating on some of the older stuff ... smart move.

• Options
    You don't even want to get me started on how I think Handling is the biggest rip off in the entire mail order industry. When I go grocery shopping there isn't a separate line item on my receipt to cover the cost of the bag boy putting the groceries in my bag. And it is not like I can opt out of the Handling charge and pick it up myself. The cost of an item should cover all the overhead expenses to sell that item plus profit.

So if they roll all of that overhead (labor, storage facilities, etc.) into the price of the book, you don't think people are gonna complain? Grocery store is different because you're already paying for the overhead (lights, store cleaning, bag boy) in the price of the groceries. Groceries cost more at different stores. I can score cheaper groceries at my local Kroger than I can at Hiller's Market... Hiller's is much nicer and has more specialty items, but all that comes at a cost.

Ten Club isn't set up like a retail storefront. They're not going to have a staff of 100 people on the payroll just in the event that they might have a book sale this year. So it's either gonna be temp help or their few permanent employees are going to be working late nights and weekends to ship this shit out.

$50 for a 300+ page hardcover book isn't expensive at all IMO, and I didn't think the $11.50 for domestic shipping was out of line either. I think that people don't really have a grasp of how much work it actually is to ship this kind of stuff... I also think (and I wouldn't put you in this group at all, Kal) there's a huge amount of people in here that just complain and whine because they think their $20/year membership entitles them to the fucking moon and sun.
  • Options
    Motown322 wrote:
    So if they roll all of that overhead (labor, storage facilities, etc.) into the price of the book, you don't think people are gonna complain? Grocery store is different because you're already paying for the overhead (lights, store cleaning, bag boy) in the price of the groceries. Groceries cost more at different stores. I can score cheaper groceries at my local Kroger than I can at Hiller's Market... Hiller's is much nicer and has more specialty items, but all that comes at a cost.

Ten Club isn't set up like a retail storefront. They're not going to have a staff of 100 people on the payroll just in the event that they might have a book sale this year. So it's either gonna be temp help or their few permanent employees are going to be working late nights and weekends to ship this shit out.

$50 for a 300+ page hardcover book isn't expensive at all IMO, and I didn't think the $11.50 for domestic shipping was out of line either. I think that people don't really have a grasp of how much work it actually is to ship this kind of stuff... I also think (and I wouldn't put you in this group at all, Kal) there's a huge amount of people in here that just complain and whine because they think their $20/year membership entitles them to the fucking moon and sun.

Thats what I am saying though. Mail Order Companies should roll all the costs required to sell an item into the sticker price. Otherwise that price means nothing and they could theoretically make it as low as possible just to stir up interest and then make up the profit with the handling charge. I don't think the book is that expensive at all, but considering it costs over 40% more to get it to Canada that is what I think is high.

And generally the fact that a mail order business is not set up like a real store shouldn't be my problem. Yes they have to pay more to have someone put it in the box and drive it to the post office, but they don't have to pay the extra costs associated with having a retail establishment (lighting, parking, and retail location rental rates) so I would think it would even out. I am not trying to single out 10club here since this seems to be an industry standard. I just think it is a hidden way to rip people off.
  • Options
    I must say I am not intrigued at all on this one.
  • Options
    I'm laughing my ass off at all the people complaining about the s/h fees on the book. so fucking what if you need to spend $11.50 to have the book mailed to you. if you think it looks good, buy it and shut up!!
    "Smokey, this is not Nam, this is bowling. There are rules. If you mark that frame an 8 you are entering a world of pain."
  • Options
    tofatofa Posts: 51
    I think this looks awesome.

I know the $200 version is limited, does anyone know if the $50 one is limited aswell?

Also will this only be available through this site and Ames Bros or is it likely to be on Amazon etc? I would prefer to pay 10C, but $40 to get it the UK, not to mention the 5 year wait for it to arrive!!
    Wembley 07
    "You'll never walk alone"
    ***** LFC
  • Options
    hidinghiding Posts: 290
    picked up the lmt. ed. and scored a gorge today!

it's been a good day.
    one love

respect
  • Options
    kj1nyrkj1nyr Posts: 837
    jimed14 wrote:
    I reread the extras section, the 3 posters, the mylar section on screen printing ... wallet time ... done and done ... I'm such a sucker.

Rule of thumb ... if it's good enough for KJ, it's good enough for me. :D

Bad plan. My priorities are screwed up!

1. Travel
    2. Travel for PJ
    3. Posters
    4. Bills

:)

KJ
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I'm laughing my ass off at all the people complaining about the s/h fees on the book. so fucking what if you need to spend $11.50 to have the book mailed to you. if you think it looks good, buy it and shut up!!

EXACTLY and if its priority, then its not as bad as everyone says
  • Options
    jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,556
    As much i love collecting posters - $200 is a joke! I live in the UK so im looking at $245 all in!!!

Thats more than PJ Tickets!!!!!

-
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • Options
    Aarrgghh, I want the limited edition but $40 for shipping IS such a lot on top of the $200 price tag :(

Will the regular edition be available in other online stores?
    Dublin - August 23rd 2006
    Wembley - June 18th 2007
    Hopefully many more to come...
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    $200?! you got to be kidding me.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    $200?! you got to be kidding me.

go to barnes and noble and take a look at some of the prices on the art books

the book of garcia paintings was $500!