What was the effect of not having a GA Only option?

Comments

• dmbolpdmbolp Posts: 1,287
    goblues82 said:
    dmbolp said:
    sean9769 said:
    know1 said:
    I really think that not having a GA Only option contributed to the mess that is going on. 

I'm not saying it caused the issue with the  seniority or some of the technical snafus. 

But I do think it threw a whole bunch more people into the reserved seat pool that would have gone for GA only in the past. I think that's had at least some effect on seating location. I also think it's going to have a big effect on the Fan2Fan exchange and think we'll see a lot more tickets there than we have in the past. 

Nobody asked me, but I knew when there was no GA Only option that it was going to be a bigger mess than usual.
    I agree and frankly some of us would have been fine to be notified we lost GA without being dealt a turd location.  
    I'm with you, lots of people are with you, and that's a problem for 10C.  They need people to buy all the lousy Upper seats at a crazy price.
    They don’t need you to buy anything. The fact that people are buying the last row of the upper deck at full price means they would have no problem selling the uppers in front of the stage…
    But they want more 10C members to buy them, not the General Publc, so that when we complain, and we will complain, they can say they sold as many tickets as possible to 10C members
  • BV84003BV84003 Posts: 360
    JimmyV said:
    Did people who only selected GA/Res finally start winning seats? That wasn't happening early on. 
    GA/Res was the only option I picked for both MSP 2 and Chi 1, and I was selected for reserved seats for both shows. Both of my notifications came on Wednesday afternoon though, well after the majority of people seemed to be getting results.
    2003 Clarkston MI #2 | 2004 Grand Rapids MI | 2013 London ON | 2014 Detroit MI | 2016 Toronto ON #1
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    dmbolp said:
    It's sole purpose was to sell as many Upper section tickets to 10C Members that otherwise wouldn't have been purchased by anyone for $162 each.  Maximize high-priced ticket sales.

You want a chance at GA?  Well you're gonna have to risk getting Uppers instead.

DMB fan club started this many years ago
    Maybe not behind the stage, but everywhere else would have sold for $162 fan club or not. 
  • devonfzdevonfz Posts: 167
    I love the GA reserved choice There is absolutely no affect on what happens. Not sure why people think there is. they have a glitch they’re trying to fix it. If you have first choice GA reserved and don’t get GA then you’re obviously in first choice reserved. Luckily they have so many tickets available that just about everyone got their choices this time there used to be a time just being in the building was good enough but I guess not now oh no I’m in the 300s. Let’s at least wait until the reassignment of seats before we make our conclusions and let’s be honest if you have a number in the 300s or 400s with all the demand yes you’re probably gonna be in the second or third level.
  • KevinmanKevinman Posts: 1,909
    devonfz said:
    I love the GA reserved choice There is absolutely no affect on what happens. Not sure why people think there is. they have a glitch they’re trying to fix it. If you have first choice GA reserved and don’t get GA then you’re obviously in first choice reserved. Luckily they have so many tickets available that just about everyone got their choices this time there used to be a time just being in the building was good enough but I guess not now oh no I’m in the 300s. Let’s at least wait until the reassignment of seats before we make our conclusions and let’s be honest if you have a number in the 300s or 400s with all the demand yes you’re probably gonna be in the second or third level.
    It does have an affect on what happens.  Probably not so much for me but for members with higher 10C #s it can absolutely have an affect.  Let me give you an example:

Your 10C # is 300xxx.  100 members with lower numbers than you put in for GA/Reserved but really only want GA and will sell the tickets via F2F if they end up with reserved.  They all get reserved and sell.  This puts you 200 seats further back than you would have been if there was an option for GA only.

Make sense?

Again, as my number is 177xxx I probably do not feel the affect of this as much as members with higher numbers.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    devonfz said:
    You're not correct that there was no affect on tickets, demand, seat assignments, etc. of not having a GA Only option. Maybe it didn't contribute to the technical glitches (or maybe it did), but it is absolutely affecting lots of aspects of the seats for these shows. 
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,040
    solace said:
    JimmyV said:
    Did people who only selected GA/Res finally start winning seats? That wasn't happening early on. 
    Yup. Everyone I know personally who only chose that option and not Reserved Only didn't get any reserved tickets until the second day when they started re-allocating.
    I'm in this category.... I pulled GA only for St Paul N2 on the first day, the next day our reserved for N1 came through as well. 
    10 club clearly stated tickets were gonna be spread way up into the upper levels on this tour because they had secured so many more. I’m just not sure how anyone thinks their seat assignment is going to be affected by anything other than seniority, even if they have the old system where they had general admission only you can still just make reserve your second choice and you would’ve still got picked because they have so many more seats for members not sure how anyone thinks that their seat assignment is being horribly affected maybe a few people will sell the reserve seats if they don’t get GA but I don’t think it’s that many bottom line is they said they were selling seats in the upper deck to the fan club obviously it’s going to go to people in the fan club with higher numbers but let’s just wait and see when we get our new seat assignments. Hopefully they get it worked out. I personally am gratified that they are going out for even nine shows and that  I’m gonna get to go to two of them in Austin.
  • mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202
    VOLARE said:
    mattcoz said:
    VOLARE said:
    That is an interesting question / take. I wonder how it truly works.  If going reserved priority, possibly after not getting GA, you then end up in line for reserved behind those that only chose reserved as priority. That could explain low # members ending up in upper sections.  I think I’m middle of the road # wise and only look for reserved so I can see. I’ve been happy with results but the restack put me deep behind GA on the floor.  Not a ticket I would purchase for myself.  If in turn it becomes GA request gets denied and then goes to front of priority for reserved that would be tough for those only looking for reserved.  Hope it’s not like that because then the only real option is only going for GA and ending up in reserved. I’m not looking for GA but would gladly trade them for comparable reserved.   Making GA an almost mandatory choice to get seats.  Not sure if I am making sense.  
    Priority has nothing to do with seating locations, or at least it's not supposed to. Maybe that was part of the problem, but we'll probably never know. They most likely just put everyone who didn't win GA in the same pool as those who picked reserved only, no change in priority.
    So wouldn’t that mean that if you pick GA/Reserve and don’t get GA then you are already in for Reserved as if you had only chosen Reserved? I always thought prior if you pick GA priority and Reserved 2nd then by not getting GA your reserved 2nd Priority came after those who chose Reserved as First Priority for lottery draw. Then afterwards FC# dictated seating.
    Yes, exactly.

dmbolp said:
    goblues82 said:
    dmbolp said:
    sean9769 said:
    know1 said:
    I really think that not having a GA Only option contributed to the mess that is going on. 

I'm not saying it caused the issue with the  seniority or some of the technical snafus. 

But I do think it threw a whole bunch more people into the reserved seat pool that would have gone for GA only in the past. I think that's had at least some effect on seating location. I also think it's going to have a big effect on the Fan2Fan exchange and think we'll see a lot more tickets there than we have in the past. 

Nobody asked me, but I knew when there was no GA Only option that it was going to be a bigger mess than usual.
    I agree and frankly some of us would have been fine to be notified we lost GA without being dealt a turd location.  
    I'm with you, lots of people are with you, and that's a problem for 10C.  They need people to buy all the lousy Upper seats at a crazy price.
    They don’t need you to buy anything. The fact that people are buying the last row of the upper deck at full price means they would have no problem selling the uppers in front of the stage…
    But they want more 10C members to buy them, not the General Publc, so that when we complain, and we will complain, they can say they sold as many tickets as possible to 10C members
    Wow...

devonfz said:
    10 club clearly stated tickets were gonna be spread way up into the upper levels on this tour because they had secured so many more. I’m just not sure how anyone thinks their seat assignment is going to be affected by anything other than seniority, even if they have the old system where they had general admission only you can still just make reserve your second choice and you would’ve still got picked because they have so many more seats for members not sure how anyone thinks that their seat assignment is being horribly affected maybe a few people will sell the reserve seats if they don’t get GA but I don’t think it’s that many bottom line is they said they were selling seats in the upper deck to the fan club obviously it’s going to go to people in the fan club with higher numbers but let’s just wait and see when we get our new seat assignments. Hopefully they get it worked out. I personally am gratified that they are going out for even nine shows and that  I’m gonna get to go to two of them in Austin.
    So a whole bunch more people who really just want GA only seats didn't have a GA Only option and got reserved seats and you don't think that had an effect on where people are sitting?

• dmbolp said:
    It's sole purpose was to sell as many Upper section tickets to 10C Members that otherwise wouldn't have been purchased by anyone for $162 each.  Maximize high-priced ticket sales.

You want a chance at GA?  Well you're gonna have to risk getting Uppers instead.

DMB fan club started this many years ago
    which is exactly why i only put in for premiums now. forget getting stuck in some crap seat that you cant give away!
    know1 said:
    devonfz said:
    So a whole bunch more people who really just want GA only seats didn't have a GA Only option and got reserved seats and you don't think that had an effect on where people are sitting?
    I can’t believe that there is a single Pearl Jam fan that is so stuck up that they’re not gonna go to the show. If they don’t get GA you’re really telling me that if you get shut out from GA you’re not even gonna go to the show?
  • ChrrieChrrie Posts: 99
    devonfz said:
    know1 said:
    devonfz said:
    I can’t believe that there is a single Pearl Jam fan that is so stuck up that they’re not gonna go to the show. If they don’t get GA you’re really telling me that if you get shut out from GA you’re not even gonna go to the show?
    I think people would want a GA only option and if shut out try their luck on F2F for the next couple months, and then buy a reserved ticket closer to the show if they didn’t get lucky and score GA. Basically just like people will be doing now except without giving Ticketmaster a $320 per show loan until October or whenever you get paid for F2F sales. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,177
    mattcoz said:
    VOLARE said:
    mattcoz said:
    VOLARE said:
    That is an interesting question / take. I wonder how it truly works.  If going reserved priority, possibly after not getting GA, you then end up in line for reserved behind those that only chose reserved as priority. That could explain low # members ending up in upper sections.  I think I’m middle of the road # wise and only look for reserved so I can see. I’ve been happy with results but the restack put me deep behind GA on the floor.  Not a ticket I would purchase for myself.  If in turn it becomes GA request gets denied and then goes to front of priority for reserved that would be tough for those only looking for reserved.  Hope it’s not like that because then the only real option is only going for GA and ending up in reserved. I’m not looking for GA but would gladly trade them for comparable reserved.   Making GA an almost mandatory choice to get seats.  Not sure if I am making sense.  
    Priority has nothing to do with seating locations, or at least it's not supposed to. Maybe that was part of the problem, but we'll probably never know. They most likely just put everyone who didn't win GA in the same pool as those who picked reserved only, no change in priority.
    So wouldn’t that mean that if you pick GA/Reserve and don’t get GA then you are already in for Reserved as if you had only chosen Reserved? I always thought prior if you pick GA priority and Reserved 2nd then by not getting GA your reserved 2nd Priority came after those who chose Reserved as First Priority for lottery draw. Then afterwards FC# dictated seating.
    Yes, exactly.

That’s what I did wrong I never choose GA I only go for reserved! But this time I chose GA/Reserved and Reserved 2nd that was my mistake so I can understand not getting the seats I have in the past when choosing Reserved only, so I expect to get different seats this time. 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,151
    devonfz said:
    know1 said:
    devonfz said:
    I think the point he's making relates more to members with high member numbers. There's no way I'd pay market prices to sit in the balcony for an arena show nowadays.
    mattcoz said:
    VOLARE said:
    mattcoz said:
    VOLARE said:
    Yes, exactly.

That’s what I did wrong I never choose GA I only go for reserved! But this time I chose GA/Reserved and Reserved 2nd that was my mistake so I can understand not getting the seats I have in the past when choosing Reserved only, so I expect to get different seats this time. 
    You didn't do anything wrong, no mistake.

• 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,901
    mattcoz said:
    VOLARE said:
    mattcoz said:
    VOLARE said:
    Yes, exactly.

Jose I’m happy to see you’re hitting the road! Which show/s did you score?
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,947
    edited May 2023
    Chrrie said:
    devonfz said:
    know1 said:
    devonfz said:
    I think people would want a GA only option and if shut out try their luck on F2F for the next couple months, and then buy a reserved ticket closer to the show if they didn’t get lucky and score GA. Basically just like people will be doing now except without giving Ticketmaster a $320 per show loan until October or whenever you get paid for F2F sales. 
    This is what I would’ve done if if there was a GA only option and my number was higher than 250k. 
    Post edited by Go Beavers on
    mattcoz said:
    mattcoz said:
    VOLARE said:
    mattcoz said:
    VOLARE said:
    Yes, exactly.

100 Pacer said:
    mattcoz said:
    VOLARE said:
    mattcoz said:
    VOLARE said:
    Yes, exactly.

Hey I’m doing Chicago only night 2! They way I thought the lottery worked was GA is drawn 1st all the folks who didn’t get GA go in the reserved pool and then they draw the reserved seats but the folks who chose reserved as 1st option get 1st dibs on those tickets am I wrong? 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,426
    mattcoz said:
    mattcoz said:
    VOLARE said:
    mattcoz said:
    VOLARE said:
    Yes, exactly.

100 Pacer said:
    mattcoz said:
    VOLARE said:
    mattcoz said:
    VOLARE said:
    Yes, exactly.

Hey I’m doing Chicago only night 2! They way I thought the lottery worked was GA is drawn 1st all the folks who didn’t get GA go in the reserved pool and then they draw the reserved seats but the folks who chose reserved as 1st option get 1st dibs on those tickets am I wrong? 
    First part is right. Second part it should not matter if you picked RES only you should of been grouped with the losers of the GA draw as well equally. 

We now pick shows as priorities. We do not pick what types of seats for that show as priority anymore. Wish we did 
  • EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 740
    devonfz said:
    know1 said:
    devonfz said:
    I would be shocked if they didn't take this into consideration before changing the option. I'll bet like 99% of people who go for GA also go for reserved as well. So take out the complexity of more draws and make it one option. Decisions don't get made like this out of the blue. The only reason people are changing their tune on this is because the current seat locations didn't work for them. Key word current, its hopefully being corrected. 
    PJNB said:
    mattcoz said:
    mattcoz said:
    VOLARE said:
    mattcoz said:
    VOLARE said:
    Yes, exactly.

100 Pacer said:
    mattcoz said:
    VOLARE said:
    mattcoz said:
    VOLARE said:
    Yes, exactly.

First part is right. Second part it should not matter if you picked RES only you should of been grouped with the losers of the GA draw as well equally. 

We now pick shows as priorities. We do not pick what types of seats for that show as priority anymore. Wish we did 
    I’d be curious to really know exactly how they draw the tickets! 
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    edited May 2023
    devonfz said:
    know1 said:
    devonfz said:

I think it depends.   If it's me.  If it's my local shows (Vancouver and/or Seattle) I'm going regardless.   If I was on the fence about plunking down a bunch of money to make a bigger trip out of it, then historically I have done GA or bust, and left it up the universe to tell me if I should do it or not.    Be harder to travel at a distance and cost to go to a show with nosebleeds.  On the flipside I rarely if ever miss shows in my mood.  Worst tickets I ever had was at the Seattle 2013 show which were so hard to get in the first place.

In context.  I've had a pretty good history of getting concert tickets.  Going through the stubs and there's an excessive amount of GA tickets, or first 12 rows on the floor tickets, or side stage tickets.   I think it's a combo of luck, skill, and Vancouver is a smaller market than other places (it'd suck to live in US cities that have have 10 million people and compete against all those people for tickets).

For me the PJ tickets are sometimes the most challenging.   If you miss out on fan club, you get the crummy leftovers kind of thing.  OR in the cast of seattle 2013 I barely got into the building.

As expensive as the Bruce Springsteen tickets were, I found it fascinating.  It's the only artist I know of that has no fan club and no presale.  All the tickets go on sale for the public sale (or now verified fan).  Few of us entered for verified fan, one of us got chosen, that person went in and secure row 20 side stage.  Not to shabby.  In previous years, same thing, but we'd get GA on the floor.  Mostly, I think because the whole wad actually goes for sale at the same time.

The nice thing now about 10c shows.. and the thing that can really fuel people's OCD is the ticket upgrade game.   Scouring fan2fan, sniping a good ticket drop, then offloading your current pair.

but yah.. back to task at hand.   I have to hope people wouldn't drop reserved tickets for home town shows, but lots of people travel, and I can see people not traveling for nosebleeds.
    Post edited by Zod on
    For Austin I got 114 & 115, travel Buddy got 208 & 209, neither of us would have chosen to pay $160 a ticket for any of those seats, travel or not.  We've both been putting in for GA-only last several years.  We're old and we're pit or seat snobs.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    You don't even have to be a snob to not want FAN CLUB tickets way up in the rafters. Those are seats you buy day of to get in the door, which I would have no problem doing if that was my only way in. Buying them blind and paying for them months in advance is much less appealing. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • GibsonGibson Posts: 2,633
    devonfz said:
    know1 said:
    devonfz said:
    I've met two separate people that flew significant miles to shows in hopes of finding GA and when they didn't, skipped the shows entirely. Blew my mind.

One of those cities was New York, so I guess they could have made the most of an evening, but the point of travel was PJ..soooo
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2, Noblesville, Wrigley 1&2

devonfz said:
    know1 said:
    devonfz said:
    I'm fairly certain many people go for GA or nothing. I'm not one of them. I've always gone for reserved. But I'm guessing that the influx of people trying for GA is pushing a lot of us in reserved much farther back for these shows than usual.

• sean9769sean9769 Posts: 57
    know1 said:
    devonfz said:
    know1 said:
    devonfz said:
    I'm fairly certain many people go for GA or nothing. I'm not one of them. I've always gone for reserved. But I'm guessing that the influx of people trying for GA is pushing a lot of us in reserved much farther back for these shows than usual.
    I won't go see any of my faves if I'm not reasonably close whether it be floor or seating.  Between the cost of tix and if it's not local travel costs etc it just isn't worth the effort. My concert experience is getting into it and not being glued to seat far away glaring at a championship banner hanging from the ceiling for a few hours.  Just being in the building doesn't work for me and I'm not as easily entertained listening to loud distant radio as many of you seem to be.
    2013 Baltimore
    2016 Philly1 
    2016 Fenway2
    2016 Wrigley 2
    2016 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2016 Temple of the Dog Seattle2
    2017 Soundgarden Detroit   RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 Seattle1
    2018 Seattle2
    2019 Chris Cornell Tribute LA
    2024 Baltimore 

edited May 2023
    sean9769 said:
    know1 said:
    devonfz said:
    know1 said:
    devonfz said:
    I won't go see any of my faves if I'm not reasonably close whether it be floor or seating.  Between the cost of tix and if it's not local travel costs etc it just isn't worth the effort. My concert experience is getting into it and not being glued to seat far away glaring at a championship banner hanging from the ceiling for a few hours.  Just being in the building doesn't work for me and I'm not as easily entertained listening to loud distant radio as many of you seem to be.
    Same, and more and more it seems arena sound sucks.  I go to "see" the performance, up close; I'm not going to "hear" the performance from the back of the venue with band sound and unable to see the band. If I wanted to "hear" a band there's tons of perfect recordings I can listen to at home, on a good system, on my own schedule.