What was the effect of not having a GA Only option?

Comments

• ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    sean9769 said:
    know1 said:
    devonfz said:
    know1 said:
    devonfz said:
    10 club clearly stated tickets were gonna be spread way up into the upper levels on this tour because they had secured so many more. I’m just not sure how anyone thinks their seat assignment is going to be affected by anything other than seniority, even if they have the old system where they had general admission only you can still just make reserve your second choice and you would’ve still got picked because they have so many more seats for members not sure how anyone thinks that their seat assignment is being horribly affected maybe a few people will sell the reserve seats if they don’t get GA but I don’t think it’s that many bottom line is they said they were selling seats in the upper deck to the fan club obviously it’s going to go to people in the fan club with higher numbers but let’s just wait and see when we get our new seat assignments. Hopefully they get it worked out. I personally am gratified that they are going out for even nine shows and that  I’m gonna get to go to two of them in Austin.
    So a whole bunch more people who really just want GA only seats didn't have a GA Only option and got reserved seats and you don't think that had an effect on where people are sitting?
    I can’t believe that there is a single Pearl Jam fan that is so stuck up that they’re not gonna go to the show. If they don’t get GA you’re really telling me that if you get shut out from GA you’re not even gonna go to the show?
    I'm fairly certain many people go for GA or nothing. I'm not one of them. I've always gone for reserved. But I'm guessing that the influx of people trying for GA is pushing a lot of us in reserved much farther back for these shows than usual.
    I won't go see any of my faves if I'm not reasonably close whether it be floor or seating.  Between the cost of tix and if it's not local travel costs etc it just isn't worth the effort. My concert experience is getting into it and not being glued to seat far away glaring at a championship banner hanging from the ceiling for a few hours.  Just being in the building doesn't work for me and I'm not as easily entertained listening to loud distant radio as many of you seem to be.

I feel the same way, and historically I've been able to get some pretty amazing tickets to 100's of concerts over my lifetime, so I'm used to being able to experience shows up close.  I've never bought the, just be happy to be in the building thing.  The experience in the nosebleeds is very different then being up front.   It was actually a specific concert I was at.  It was the U2 Popmart 1997 show in Vancouver.   We didn't plan it out, we didn't buy tickets at the onsale.   We bought the tickets months after the onsale, so we ended up on the upper deck of a stadium just before it starts rounding to the back corner.

To U2's credit, it's one of the few shows I've seen with seat that shitty that I enjoyed.   They brought it that night.  That being said, I'm looking down at all the people with floor tickets and I'm like, I want to be those people. lol.

Then I upped my game and figured it out.

It's getting tougher now though.  several presale, verified fan, platinum tickets, neverending price increases.   I go to less shows than I used to, but that's ok.  I save the resources for the ones I really want to see.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,178
    This will be my 1st arena show since TOTD at MSG! I really never go for arena shows anymore and stadiums did Fenway that about it, I prefer small club shows with up and coming bands or older bands that can’t sell out Arena’s no hassles no premium pricing more intimate feel! But I’m looking forward to Chicago specially with my daughter she’s excited to see PJ for the 1st time. 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    I'm really surprised there isn't more traction/comments on this issue. The Ten Club essentially forced a lot more of their tickets into the hands of the members who may or may not want them because they were just looking for GA. I think it's a fairly big deal, but I guess many can't really see the ramifications and connections.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,949
    know1 said:
    I'm really surprised there isn't more traction/comments on this issue. The Ten Club essentially forced a lot more of their tickets into the hands of the members who may or may not want them because they were just looking for GA. I think it's a fairly big deal, but I guess many can't really see the ramifications and connections.
    I like the GA only option much better if the trade off is pushing seats into the 300 level, but raising concerns about things like this is like pissing into the wind.  Ten Club makes the decisions on how they want to handle their business practices and we either accept those practices or we don't.  Now we know the effect that this change had and we can base our decisions on entering future ticket lotteries from it.

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,040
    bbiggs said:
    know1 said:
    I like the GA only option much better if the trade off is pushing seats into the 300 level, but raising concerns about things like this is like pissing into the wind.  Ten Club makes the decisions on how they want to handle their business practices and we either accept those practices or we don't.  Now we know the effect that this change had and we can base our decisions on entering future ticket lotteries from it.

If i had to guess, it's less the GA / RES combination than the premium seats that are pushing us further back. 

I have no insight, but I'm guessing the tradeoff to getting more tickets allocated to the 10C was accepting the premium seating.
    bbiggs said:
    know1 said:

If i had to guess, it's less the GA / RES combination than the premium seats that are pushing us further back. 

I have no insight, but I'm guessing the tradeoff to getting more tickets allocated to the 10C was accepting the premium seating.
    This can certainly be a factor as well.  I tend to think it had less of an impact on this particular tour, only because they had PJ Premium for the 2022 tour as well, and the seat placement did not reach these same upper levels in such a high quantity.  But you're right, if they did opt for more PJ Premium this year, then that pushes things back further also.

• RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,886
    I know people who would only go if they got GA.  Totally fair if that’s how people want to decide to spend their money.  

I think the reason it was designed this way is to create a disincentive to buy multiple memberships in hopes of scoring GA (which does not depend in seniority).  Of course they didn’t mind selling the memberships before announcing the change :)

I think they may have solved one problem but created another (the subsequent F2F’ing of the unwanted seats which results in randos getting better seats than 10c’ers who truly want reserved).  I don’t have a lot of confidence in the ticketing system but if humanity can put a man on the moon there must be a way to limit it to one GA entry per billing address per show and restore the GA only option.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
    Personally, I'd rather have people create multiple membership accounts than my seats getting pushed way back. My feeling is there is going to be a big drop in membership after these shows. At this point, I'm getting farther and farther away even though I've faithfully maintained a membership for over 20 years. 

know1 said:
    Personally, I'd rather have people create multiple membership accounts than my seats getting pushed way back. My feeling is there is going to be a big drop in membership after these shows. At this point, I'm getting farther and farther away even though I've faithfully maintained a membership for over 20 years. 
    Absolutely.  And let's face it.  Selling more memberships is a clear priority of theirs, hence the "today would be a good day to be a 10C member" post on April 1.

• RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,886
    know1 said:
    I’m just saying it doesn’t have to be one or the other.  If they’re worried about multiple accounts being unfair to people who want a legit shot at GA then they can tackle that in a way that doesn’t push reserved people further out.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
    While I don't know that I'll drop my 10C membership outright, I will be less inclined to get tickets through the 10C lottery if my seats in St Paul are drastically worse than I was getting 7-10 years ago. 
    While I don't know that I'll drop my 10C membership outright, I will be less inclined to get tickets through the 10C lottery if my seats in St Paul are drastically worse than I was getting 7-10 years ago. 
    I can honestly say that I've never had seats any better than my first Ten Club show in 2003. 18 shows later and the tickets have been similar or worse every time. If I get pushed back on this next reassignment, they will be significantly worse than any other seats I've had.

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,947
    know1 said:
    I think a lot of people’s disappointment with their seat location is based on the assumption that they’d have a decent seat even with a bad number clashing with ignoring the level of demand combined with way more seats being allocated to the 10c. Reflecting on your 2013 seats and saying they were pretty good, and thinking now it’s 10 years later so they’ll be that much better is setting yourself up. The people who complained that they got shut out of past shows are now complaining that they have crap seats. 
    know1 said:
    I think a lot of people’s disappointment with their seat location is based on the assumption that they’d have a decent seat even with a bad number clashing with ignoring the level of demand combined with way more seats being allocated to the 10c. Reflecting on your 2013 seats and saying they were pretty good, and thinking now it’s 10 years later so they’ll be that much better is setting yourself up. The people who complained that they got shut out of past shows are now complaining that they have crap seats
    This is not necessarily true.  I just dug into the most recent two tours in 2018 and 2020 (lottery in 2020, shows in 2022).  The results are below and I was able to find the percentages at the time the lottery selection was made.  2018 was stadiums, of course, but only had 7 shows.  The 2020 lottery was more limited than the number of shows played in 2022, due to the added shows once they rescheduled.  I won tickets to each and every show I put in for and my seats were never worse than 100 level seating.  Fast forward to today and I lost my priority #1 show, won my priority #2 show and have nosebleed seats in the 300 level (pending the third re-assignment). 

2018:
    Priority 1 - Chicago 1 GA - WON
    Priority 2 - Chicago 2 GA - LOST
    Priority 3 - Chicago 1 RESERVED - LOST
    Priority 4 - Chicago 2 RESERVED - WON
    Priority 5 - Boston 2 RESERVED - WON

2020:
    Priority 1 - Nashville GA - LOST - 21% odds
    Priority 2 - St. Louis GA - LOST - 22% odds
    Priority 3 - Denver GA - LOST - 21% odds
    Priority 4 - Nashville RESERVED - WON - 99% odds
    Priority 5 - St. Louis RESERVED - WON - 99% odds
    Priority 6 - Denver RESERVED - WON - 99% odds

I think this is valuable data when comparing to the ticketing process this tour and the potential impact the removal of a "GA only" option had.  We know that seats are much further back/ up and very late priorities are being fulfilled for the same show that someone may have lost with first priority.  None of it makes sense and I don't think it has anything to do with people complaining of crap seats that were also shut out of past shows.  They can be completely separate from one another.

• dmbolpdmbolp Posts: 1,287
    dmbolp said:
    goblues82 said:
    dmbolp said:
    sean9769 said:
    know1 said:
    I really think that not having a GA Only option contributed to the mess that is going on. 

I'm not saying it caused the issue with the  seniority or some of the technical snafus. 

But I do think it threw a whole bunch more people into the reserved seat pool that would have gone for GA only in the past. I think that's had at least some effect on seating location. I also think it's going to have a big effect on the Fan2Fan exchange and think we'll see a lot more tickets there than we have in the past. 

Nobody asked me, but I knew when there was no GA Only option that it was going to be a bigger mess than usual.
    I agree and frankly some of us would have been fine to be notified we lost GA without being dealt a turd location.  
    I'm with you, lots of people are with you, and that's a problem for 10C.  They need people to buy all the lousy Upper seats at a crazy price.
    They don’t need you to buy anything. The fact that people are buying the last row of the upper deck at full price means they would have no problem selling the uppers in front of the stage…
    But they want more 10C members to buy them, not the General Publc, so that when we complain, and we will complain, they can say they sold as many tickets as possible to 10C members
    Ten Club Ticket Reserved Seat Reassignment Update
    News May 3 2023

Ten Club is sharing an update to all Ten Club reserved seat ticket holders. 

On Friday May 5th, Ticketmaster will complete the adjustments needed for the seniority-based seating process and send out an email soon after with your correct seat assignment. Ticketmaster will not need to transact on your card to finalize this process. 

We appreciate your patience and look forward to seeing a record breaking number of members at these shows. 

Ten Club

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,979
    know1 said:
    True. Glad to be out of the game(for now) Make room for new fans to soak it all in.
  • KevinmanKevinman Posts: 1,909
    know1 said:
    Totally agree and in doing so it has moved everyone in reserved further back.  If someone truly wanted GA only and got reserved, they are most likely unloading those tix.  It really moves high number 10C members back.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    Definitely a drawback, not only the GA people that post their 10c tickets up for sale on fan2fan, but then the reserved people who were disappointed in their nosebleeds (who would of been closer had people who didn't want reserved not bought reserved).

It is a shame. I actually thought the 2020/2022 lottery worked pretty well.   I'm not entirely sure why it got modified.
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    This will be my 1st arena show since TOTD at MSG! I really never go for arena shows anymore and stadiums did Fenway that about it, I prefer small club shows with up and coming bands or older bands that can’t sell out Arena’s no hassles no premium pricing more intimate feel! But I’m looking forward to Chicago specially with my daughter she’s excited to see PJ for the 1st time. 

hockey arenas, baseball fields, basketball courts & football temples make for terrible concert venues
    imho
  • GibsonGibson Posts: 2,633
    edited May 2023
    Zod said:
    Definitely a drawback, not only the GA people that post their 10c tickets up for sale on fan2fan, but then the reserved people who were disappointed in their nosebleeds (who would of been closer had people who didn't want reserved not bought reserved).

It is a shame. I actually thought the 2020/2022 lottery worked pretty well.   I'm not entirely sure why it got modified.
    My only guess is the new format increased odds for the GA heavy requesters getting in the building. I agree, though. Loved the previous format, too.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2, Noblesville, Wrigley 1&2

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,152
    know1 said:
    Because there are some positives to it depending on your situation:

- This is great if you have a very low number. You just need to get picked for the lottery then seniority gives you the hook up. More supply = better chance of selection.

- If you are a "just get me in the building" person, more supply is obviously better

The person most negativity impacted is someone with a highish number who only wants great seats. GA/Res creates a little risk that actually helps the other groups. Gotta think hard, especially about entries from multiple accounts.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,426
    They received more 10C tickets this time around which is great if you just want to get in the building. Them combining GA/Res together is just selling tickets to some people that do not want RES tickets however. These will be thrown on Fan to Fan whenever it becomes available and they may or may not sell in some shows we will see. The good news for those looking to dump the tickets they did not want is the fact that uppers are all sold out at all shows and you will just just be competing with other fans selling too. 

Next year however with a larger tour likely coming some markets will force people to eat these tickets since we can not sell at a reduced rate.
  • devonfzdevonfz Posts: 167
    Another point I got is maybe they felt general admission tickets were being worked a little bit multiple fan club is putting in for them with the higher numbers and then using their lower numbers for seats? I feel that this option has added more fairness, and frankly is a benefit to members with seniority on any other tour without as many tickets especially the Chicago shows if you put it in for GA and didn’t get it you likely weren’t going to get tickets for the show plus another thing is some of the big shows of years past like Madison Square Garden in Philly and others. The odds of GA were down under 20%. So I’m looking at it from the thought that members with low numbers can relax and put them in for GA maybe they’ll get it maybe not but also get their seat
  • dmbolpdmbolp Posts: 1,287
    I'll take the opposing view on this is good for very low number members. 

"Just win the lottery and you get great seats" - Your seats aren't going to be better than the past, they're going to be worse.  The additional tickets are in the Upper sections; there aren't additional good Lower tickets.  And many of the best tickets are now PJ Premiums not in the 10C allotment that previously went to 10C members.
  • RK50065RK50065 Posts: 897
    bbiggs said:
    know1 said:
    I think a lot of people’s disappointment with their seat location is based on the assumption that they’d have a decent seat even with a bad number clashing with ignoring the level of demand combined with way more seats being allocated to the 10c. Reflecting on your 2013 seats and saying they were pretty good, and thinking now it’s 10 years later so they’ll be that much better is setting yourself up. The people who complained that they got shut out of past shows are now complaining that they have crap seats

Priority 5 - St. Louis RESERVED - WON - 99% odds

It never sat well with me I lost STL in 2020 as my 3rd priority (selected GA and Reserved). Is the 2020 lottery info in your My Tickets section (mine isn't), or did you go back to your Ticketstoday email?
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    edited May 2023
    know1 said:
    We don't know our seats yet. I've been in about 25 years, haven't had a bad seat. Worst one was probably Wrigley 2018, I think we were about 15 rows back ( I think I was row R), between Mike and Ed. DIdn't look that good when we got there, but turn around and realize there's 60,000 behind you, made it feel not so bad. 

My only seats last tour was Nashville. Not too bad, up to the side, almost exact same spot I had in Denver 2014 - my last show before Wrigley. I'm expecting something similar with the new seats coming this week. .
    Post edited by mace1229 on
    dmbolp said:
    I'll take the opposing view on this is good for very low number members. 

"Just win the lottery and you get great seats" - Your seats aren't going to be better than the past, they're going to be worse.  The additional tickets are in the Upper sections; there aren't additional good Lower tickets.  And many of the best tickets are now PJ Premiums not in the 10C allotment that previously went to 10C members.
    This has more to do with GA and Platinum existing. If both will continue on, the expanded allocations and GA/Res options are a net positive for those with very good numbers.
    devonfz said:
    Another point I got is maybe they felt general admission tickets were being worked a little bit multiple fan club is putting in for them with the higher numbers and then using their lower numbers for seats? I feel that this option has added more fairness, and frankly is a benefit to members with seniority on any other tour without as many tickets especially the Chicago shows if you put it in for GA and didn’t get it you likely weren’t going to get tickets for the show plus another thing is some of the big shows of years past like Madison Square Garden in Philly and others. The odds of GA were down under 20%. So I’m looking at it from the thought that members with low numbers can relax and put them in for GA maybe they’ll get it maybe not but also get their seat
    I also subscribe to this theory but will be the first to admit it could be total wishcasting
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,178
    mace1229 said:
    know1 said:
    We don't know our seats yet. I've been in about 25 years, haven't had a bad seat. Worst one was probably Wrigley 2018, I think we were about 15 rows back ( I think I was row R), between Mike and Ed. DIdn't look that good when we got there, but turn around and realize there's 60,000 behind you, made it feel not so bad. 

My only seats last tour was Nashville. Not too bad, up to the side, almost exact same spot I had in Denver 2014 - my last show before Wrigley. I'm expecting something similar with the new seats coming this week. .
    I’ve been in 30 years this April! So your number must be decent? I’m keeping my expectations low this time with what happened but we should be ok with reassignment 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    mace1229 said:
    know1 said:

I’ve been in 30 years this April! So your number must be decent? I’m keeping my expectations low this time with what happened but we should be ok with reassignment 
    If you two don't have good seats than this whole 10C ticket process is f'ed beyond recognition.