What was the effect of not having a GA Only option?

1235»

Comments

• JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    Having now been through the complete process, and even forgiving the miscues and poor communication, it is clear that no GA-only option was and will be suboptimal. Forcing people into reserved seats they don't want does push others back.

I have roughly middle of the road seniority and ended up in the third deck Stone side for both nights in Chicago. We of course don't have solid numbers, but any member with less seniority than me received worse seats than that. 

Every lottery has tweaks and differences. Maybe there will be different rules and more shows next time. This experience, however, was a lesson learned. I will proceed with more caution when making picks in the future. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • jdopjjdopj Posts: 657
    At this point people know GA odds are tough. There are numbers behind this. How many people are GA or bust? I'd bet its a small percentage. So if 90+ percent of people are going GA and then reserved anyway its not going to matter. 

Feels like the issue here was they clearly got way more FC seats and its crossed a dividing line of what people want. 
    A lot of people are GA or bust. Secondary accounts, touring partners with multiple accounts, large groups of touring friends who coordinated their choices to increase their odds of GA. 
  • EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 740
    jdopj said:
    At this point people know GA odds are tough. There are numbers behind this. How many people are GA or bust? I'd bet its a small percentage. So if 90+ percent of people are going GA and then reserved anyway its not going to matter. 

Feels like the issue here was they clearly got way more FC seats and its crossed a dividing line of what people want. 
    A lot of people are GA or bust. Secondary accounts, touring partners with multiple accounts, large groups of touring friends who coordinated their choices to increase their odds of GA. 
    How much is a lot? Hundreds? Thousands? Nobody knows but the club, and the decision they made doesn't reflect that its "a lot"

• mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202
    jdopj said:

How much is a lot? Hundreds? Thousands? Nobody knows but the club, and the decision they made doesn't reflect that its "a lot"
    Actually it kinda does. They could have made this decision in response to those people trying to game the GA system. If it wasn't "a lot", then it wouldn't have been necessary.

• know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    mattcoz said:
    jdopj said:

Actually it kinda does. They could have made this decision in response to those people trying to game the GA system. If it wasn't "a lot", then it wouldn't have been necessary.

No. It's doubtful that's why the decision was made. No GA only just meant they would sell a lot more fan club tickets. 
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,151
    Optimal/suboptimal breaks with whether it improves your personal seating situation. If GA is still going to be in the mix, two thumbs up from me on the GA/Res play with no GA only.
  • EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 740
    know1 said:
    mattcoz said:
    jdopj said:

No. It's doubtful that's why the decision was made. No GA only just meant they would sell a lot more fan club tickets. 
    its probably all of the above. never just one thing. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,521
    mattcoz said:
    GA pushes everyone back, having fewer shows mean a higher percentage of overall members are selecting each show and pushes everyone back, more ten club seating overall means a higher percentage of winners and pushes everyone back, and of course premium seats pushes everyone back.

Also, in those early years, we could only choose one show. So, there was just much fewer club seats and therefore our seats were a lot better.
    I'll bet good $ F2F also pushes people back. More entries since they can now unload tix. 

I entered Chicago with late priority with no expectation of winning, but as a backup in case the higher priority shows didn't work out. Zero risk since I can transfer. Pending re-assignment of course.......but you have to assume I pushed people back. 

All these are good explanations why the 10c seats are going to keep getting worse for those of us who joined in last 10 years 

If they're no longer doing GA only,  seems to be minimal reason to pay the annual fee for whats likely to be upper lever upper rows. Might as well risk it all on f2f 
    know1 said:
    mattcoz said:
    jdopj said:

I might believe that if there was ever any doubt that these shows would be sold out. Maybe it made it more of a guarantee, so maybe it played a part, but I don't see it being the main factor in the decision.
    know1 said:
    mattcoz said:
    jdopj said:

That's something people never seem to understand.
    mattcoz said:
    know1 said:
    mattcoz said:
    jdopj said:

Nobody is ever going to fully understand any of the decisions that were made by the club or why they were made and what the results were. Even if they came out to and told us. 

• kaw753kaw753 Posts: 829
    know1 said:
    mattcoz said:
    know1 said:
    mattcoz said:
    jdopj said:

Nobody is ever going to fully understand any of the decisions that were made by the club or why they were made and what the results were. Even if they came out to and told us. 
    There might also be something like Ticketmaster have a set of features that they offer fanclubs and the GA only option simply isn't in their product.

Clearly, seniority didn't undergo a whole lot of QA.
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,891
    mattcoz said:
    GA pushes everyone back, having fewer shows mean a higher percentage of overall members are selecting each show and pushes everyone back, more ten club seating overall means a higher percentage of winners and pushes everyone back, and of course premium seats pushes everyone back.

Also, in those early years, we could only choose one show. So, there was just much fewer club seats and therefore our seats were a lot better.
    I'll bet good $ F2F also pushes people back. More entries since they can now unload tix. 

I entered Chicago with late priority with no expectation of winning, but as a backup in case the higher priority shows didn't work out. Zero risk since I can transfer. Pending re-assignment of course.......but you have to assume I pushed people back. 

All these are good explanations why the 10c seats are going to keep getting worse for those of us who joined in last 10 years 

If they're no longer doing GA only,  seems to be minimal reason to pay the annual fee for whats likely to be upper lever upper rows. Might as well risk it all on f2f 
    Access to exclusive merch and the forum alone easily makes the annual fee worth it. Getting a band signed poster for $350 is worth many years of annual fees even if you never get tickets. 
    SHZA said:
    mattcoz said:

Access to exclusive merch and the forum alone easily makes the annual fee worth it. Getting a band signed poster for $350 is worth many years of annual fees even if you never get tickets. 
    Well those aren't incentives for me at all. I've been a member for all these years simply for the tickets. I've never bought anything else except a few bootlegs and I could care less about the forum. The activity here is a tiny fraction of what it once was. 

• mookieb14mookieb14 Posts: 148
    For those with low numbers.  Don’t bother wondering what numbers the people in front of you have.  Most won’t have one.  Premium 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,521
    know1 said:
    SHZA said:
    mattcoz said:

Well those aren't incentives for me at all. I've been a member for all these years simply for the tickets. I've never bought anything else except a few bootlegs and I could care less about the forum. The activity here is a tiny fraction of what it once was. 

It’s terrific for the fans who love merch and downloads. I’m more of a download person,and am very much enjoying the show I got with this years fee. But if I want a show boot, I’d rather just buy it outright.

they created a great system for fans who were smart enough to join in the 90s. I never liked the idea of buying something and not knowing where the tix were, so am paying the cost of that decision forever. With all the factors now, with f2f,more disposable income, etc, low # fans are getting the best seats for multiple shows each tour and newer members are getting no chance at decent seats (as we age, the concept of seat is becoming paramount, and they’ll never offer a full lottery section for sitting). Or they’ll never tell us what their future  ticketing plans are, or what ticket options members from 2015 onward can expect.

if they did this new no GA to guarantee more 10c sales by putting the same fans in the uppers over and over again, with no way out of the seniority system, then there’s really no reason to stay unless u like merch  I guess.

I really wish they were more transparent at the time of membership purchase, not offering GA only is a huge deal and we get zero information at time of fee renewal. The only reason I don’t have a number under 99xxx, is not knowing seat location (and plenty of early shows had mediocre  10c locations). I know, they owe us nothing. But as a paying customer, I’d not do business this way.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    The seniority has been a bit odd.  It started on the 2000 tour but it was done in sections, then the 2003 tour in specific seats.   So if you joined the fan club in the early years (90/91 to the mid 90s) you got amazing seats every time.   You would of been in the fan club for 7+ years for the 2000 tour and 10+ years for the 2003 tour.  Someone who signed up in 2003, didn't get the same privledge in 2010 or 2013. 

There's not really enough attrition amongst people who signed up for the 10c prior to seniority.    So people got a lifetime of amazing seats for signed up early, even though they didn't know it at the time.  People who signed up late perpetually got mediocre seats.

The GA thing was great as my seats did start to get a fair bit further back, so even with a '98 membership I quite liked the GA option.

I do think this new move makes most people worse off overall.   I think a fair amount of people did GA or bust, especially when it game to the question of, should I travel for a show).  Oh I got GA, that's worth a trip.     But now with a fair amount of people unhappy with the seats, they'll resell them on fan2fan or elsewhere, and a bunch of 10c'ers sit futher back, while non 10c'ers bought the resold tickets.

I think having the GA only option is good.   Sure it's low odds, especially in big markets (I remember smaller markets like Vancouver doing a 2nd draw in 2013), but it keeps people from getting tickets they don't want and reselling them (pushing other 10c'ers further back).

but yah.. If I started getting nosebleeds.. then I would question if it's worth the 35 usd a year, because you can get those fairly easily for most shows.   Which causes a conundrum.  10c secures more tickets than ever before which means they go further back in the arena, which has now disgruntled people.   Maybe they shouldn't try so hard either? :)

• 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,901
    Zod said:
    The seniority has been a bit odd.  It started on the 2000 tour but it was done in sections, then the 2003 tour in specific seats.   So if you joined the fan club in the early years (90/91 to the mid 90s) you got amazing seats every time.   You would of been in the fan club for 7+ years for the 2000 tour and 10+ years for the 2003 tour.  Someone who signed up in 2003, didn't get the same privledge in 2010 or 2013. 

There's not really enough attrition amongst people who signed up for the 10c prior to seniority.    So people got a lifetime of amazing seats for signed up early, even though they didn't know it at the time.  People who signed up late perpetually got mediocre seats.

The GA thing was great as my seats did start to get a fair bit further back, so even with a '98 membership I quite liked the GA option.

I do think this new move makes most people worse off overall.   I think a fair amount of people did GA or bust, especially when it game to the question of, should I travel for a show).  Oh I got GA, that's worth a trip.     But now with a fair amount of people unhappy with the seats, they'll resell them on fan2fan or elsewhere, and a bunch of 10c'ers sit futher back, while non 10c'ers bought the resold tickets.

I think having the GA only option is good.   Sure it's low odds, especially in big markets (I remember smaller markets like Vancouver doing a 2nd draw in 2013), but it keeps people from getting tickets they don't want and reselling them (pushing other 10c'ers further back).

but yah.. If I started getting nosebleeds.. then I would question if it's worth the 35 usd a year, because you can get those fairly easily for most shows.   Which causes a conundrum.  10c secures more tickets than ever before which means they go further back in the arena, which has now disgruntled people.   Maybe they shouldn't try so hard either? :)

Started before 2000 - 10C was allocating ‘96 and ‘98 reserved seats based on seniority as well but can’t speak to tours prior.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
    know1 said:
    SHZA said:
    mattcoz said:

Fair enough. I guess like anything else, whether something is worth it depends on the individual. For many people, ticket access isn't the only member benefit that would justify the rather modest annual fee 
  • mcatakemcatake Posts: 104
    I believe PJ Premium is a way bigger problem for quality of seats than the GA option. This is rooted in pure greed.  "in order to offset costs" As if the tour is put on at a financial loss. lol.  What they meant to say was "in order to increase profit"  It's weird I see a lot more people pointing at the GA option and not as much attention on the impact of PJ Premium.
    edited May 2023
    Premium might bump people a few rows or a section, but wouldn't explain drastically farther seats. "Pure greed" is what we see with many artists following the standard TM model. All the decent seats are platinum and vip, with standard pricing only available in the nosebleeds. PJ is still giving the fans a huge chunk of great seats at far below market pricing. So what if they want to make a reasonable profit? Would you take less money than you're worth at your job if you had the opportunity to make more? These guys are financially secure and going on the road isn't easy. There's gotta be some financial incentive to make it worthwhile 
    Post edited by SHZA on
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,177
    100 Pacer said:
    Zod said:

Started before 2000 - 10C was allocating ‘96 and ‘98 reserved seats based on seniority as well but can’t speak to tours prior.
    Fact!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • RK50065RK50065 Posts: 897
    know1 said:
    SHZA said:
    mattcoz said:

'I could care less about the forum'

*posts on forum*
    100 Pacer said:
    Zod said:

oh wow, didn't know that.  My first show with 10c tickets was Missoula '98 and it was a GA floor, so we got GA.  I guess I shouldn't of assumed the first tour where I had reserved was the the first tour with seniority seating :)
  • devonfzdevonfz Posts: 167
    edited May 2023
    Good points all around I think the bottom line is is I’m really happy theyre still doing a few shows. I think they’re honestly doing a pretty decent job getting a ton of good seats and all the Ga into the hands of the fan club members, and for the most part seniority works for seats it might not be perfect but it’s pretty damn good look at what these other bands are charging they could easily charge to $300 for the GA tickets and that kind of stuff so for me big thanks can’t wait to see everybody in September in Austin
    Post edited by devonfz on
    RK50065 said:
    know1 said:
    SHZA said:
    mattcoz said:

'I could care less about the forum'

*posts on forum*
    Yeah - I happen to be posting now due to this ticket fiasco, but I'll bet it had been many months since I'd even visited before I got the email about this tour. If the forum went away, I wouldn't miss it. 

devonfz said:
    Good points all around I think the bottom line is is I’m really happy theyre still doing a few shows. I think they’re honestly doing a pretty decent job getting a ton of good seats and all the Ga into the hands of the fan club members, and for the most part seniority works for seats it might not be perfect but it’s pretty damn good look at what these other bands are charging they could easily charge to $300 for the GA tickets and that kind of stuff so for me big thanks can’t wait to see everybody in September in Austin

Yah, I think we're all pretty lucky that our favourite band is one of the few that has gone the distance.  30+ years in and they still tour and play fantastic live shows.    They might not tour as much as they used to, but they do tour, and if you want to see them you can.    So many fans of other bands that don't get that privledge.  I hope they keep trucking a long for a long while yet :)
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    edited May 2023
    Zod said:
    100 Pacer said:
    Zod said:

oh wow, didn't know that.  My first show with 10c tickets was Missoula '98 and it was a GA floor, so we got GA.  I guess I shouldn't of assumed the first tour where I had reserved was the the first tour with seniority seating :)
    yeah i had 3 shows with tix in the first 8 rows in 1998 and one show that was GA floor. in 1996, i had side stage tickets similar to what i get know because they had a GA floor and 10club didn't offer any of these to fanclub members as best as i can remember. 

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore