Options

Pearl Jam playing TEXAS?

ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
edited April 2023 in A Moving Train
I moved this outta the Tour Announcement thread..."Ok. Whatever, man. This is a thread for the tour. I’m seeing 4 shows I can drive to so I’m happy and done discussing politics. Have a good day." 

Simple question...what's the thinking behind the FOUR dates in Greg Abbott's TEXAS on this minitour (AKA Florida's cousin)? 
I'm old enough to remember when social issues mattered to the band more than social media.

PJ should never reward fascists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrFOb_f7ubw

https://youtu.be/9fR2r8Qlyyk

Ya better than this.
Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
Post edited by ikiT on

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,802
    any state or local elections this year?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,789
    ikiT said:
    I moved this outta the Tour Announcement thread..."Ok. Whatever, man. This is a thread for the tour. I’m seeing 4 shows I can drive to so I’m happy and done discussing politics. Have a good day." 

Simple question...what's the thinking behind the FOUR dates in Greg Abbott's TEXAS on this minitour (AKA Florida's cousin)? 
    I'm old enough to remember when social issues mattered to the band more than social media.

Ya better than this.
    I guess, in the same line of thinking, you should boycott PJ now for not doing what you want them to.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,964
    What about if they want to play for fans who haven't had a show in years. And that's all. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    If they're playing in Austin (which should somehow be independent from the state in the first place), I could see it.  Otherwise, it would not make sense to me. But it's not my band, so...
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    This is literally from today. 04232023 

• Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    ikiT said:

Ya better than this.
    I guess, in the same line of thinking, you should boycott PJ now for not doing what you want them to.
    Simple Question not answered.  Subject not changed.
  • Options
  • Options
    ikiT said:
    This is literally from today. 04232023 

I know people who live in Texas and Florida who are democrats and very progressive. That's gotta be rough.
     I live in one of the most conservative counties in California (I know this state has a reputation for being far left, but what many people do not understand is that there are some areas in this state that are strongly heavy-duty right wing- El Dorado County, Modoc County, parts of southern California-- Kevin McCarthy-- etc.) It's very difficult to be progressive and live in such a place.  But at least the state laws are mostly good, and many leaders here are more to my liking, so much as I don't like it here in El Dorado County, at least I don't live in Texas.  I simply cannot imagine living in Texas, and I feel for progressive who, for whatever reason (usually a job) are stuck there.   
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    So are you painting everyone in Texas with a fascist brush?  Or just Pj Fans that will be going to a show in Texas?  Or do you think that PJ playing shows for their fans in Texas is a reward to Abbott and Co?  I'm not understanding all the anger around this.  Do you go around complaining about anything taking place in Texas or just PJ concerts?  Were you upset with every concert PJ played in the United States when Trump was president?

To answer your question maybe the guys think they can make a difference by using their soapbox while they are here?  In all likelihood they will be preaching to the choir especially at their shows.  Maybe they will take a huge cut from the high ticket prices and donate it to Texas non profits that spend their time informing voters and fighting against the current christofascist agenda of the republicans? Maybe they are just doing it for the money?  Maybe they think providing their music to their fans in a state like Texas will help people feel better about their inner selves and give them more energy to keep fighting?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,635
    3/10 on the troll scale
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    Like someone said you can boycott the state yourself! I’ve boycotted a slew of states that I won’t be visiting and spending my hard earned money because of their terrible laws, I’m happy for the Texas fan’s that get to see their favorite bands! I already had crossed off visiting that state long ago..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,187
    Maybe it’s because there are more people in Texas who share a leftist perspective than in any other state not named California? Maybe they are objective enough to understand this and want to reward the fans? Maybe they value diversity in action, instead of in theory? Maybe they are craving tacos or bbq? Or, maybe you should respect their reasoning, whatever it may be, and move on to choosing if you can stomach supporting them anymore after this egregious decision. For those who are making the trip to the boogeyman state, welcome, I hope you enjoy your visit.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    FiveBelow said:
    Maybe it’s because there are more people in Texas who share a leftist perspective than in any other state not named California? Maybe they are objective enough to understand this and want to reward the fans? Maybe they value diversity in action, instead of in theory? Maybe they are craving tacos or bbq? Or, maybe you should respect their reasoning, whatever it may be, and move on to choosing if you can stomach supporting them anymore after this egregious decision. For those who are making the trip to the boogeyman state, welcome, I hope you enjoy your visit.
    By number or by percentage?  The former, might be possible, though I doubt it.   The latter though?  No, I don't think so.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    FiveBelow said:
    By number or by percentage?  The former, might be possible, though I doubt it.   The latter though?  No, I don't think so.

By number, Brian. Biden received 46% of the vote in Texas, or 5.3 million votes to trumps 5.9 million. Considering these results and the state’s total population it is very likely.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    FiveBelow said:
    brianlux said:
    FiveBelow said:

By number, Brian. Biden received 46% of the vote in Texas, or 5.3 million votes to trumps 5.9 million. Considering these results and the state’s total population it is very likely.

Yeah, they were up there.  Looking at some other stat's* it looks like the states with the most votes given to Biden were California, Florida, Texas, and New York.  A clear example of the split that characterizes this country.  But look at the kind of laws that get passed in TX and FL.  Definitely hard-right wing states, no matter how many dems may reside in them.

• Options
    FiveBelow said:
    brianlux said:
    FiveBelow said:

lot of those folks are California transplants...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    brianlux said:
    FiveBelow said:

Must have been all that republican control that forced them out…
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    FiveBelow said:
    brianlux said:
    FiveBelow said:

Yeah, they were up there.  Looking at some other stat's* it looks like the states with the most votes given to Biden were California, Florida, Texas, and New York.  A clear example of the split that characterizes this country.  But look at the kind of laws that get passed in TX and FL.  Definitely hard-right wing states, no matter how many dems may reside in them.

It’s just a matter of time, Brian. Texas has been majority minority since 2005 with no signs of slowing, add to that the transplants that continue to move here, and…the times they are a-changin’.
  • Options
    FiveBelow said:
    brianlux said:
    FiveBelow said:
    brianlux said:
    FiveBelow said:

It’s just a matter of time, Brian. Texas has been majority minority since 2005 with no signs of slowing, add to that the transplants that continue to move here, and…the times they are a-changin’.

I didn't know that many Californians were moving to Texas- interesting! 
    Around here we mostly hear about people moving to Nevada (God knows why!), or Idaho (militia friendly Idaho), or the north-west-- Oregon or Washington.
    The odd thing is that I keep hearing how people are leaving California in droves and yet  I see this happening around here all the time:
    "How quickly is Folsom growing?Folsom has grown 54.0% since the 2000. Folsom, California is growing moderately quickly; it is growing faster than 79% of similarly sized cities since 2000."

There are several developments this size and bigger with 20 to 30 minutes of where we live.  It's like a rapidly growing disease:

Uniquely Positioned to Grow for the Future  City of Folsom Economic  Development

• Options
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    brianlux said:
    FiveBelow said:

no. Californian's moved there.

Alarmed the QOFP enough there was talk of some how preventing the migration through legislation.....

• Options
    brianlux said:
    FiveBelow said:
    brianlux said:
    FiveBelow said:
    brianlux said:
    FiveBelow said:

Around here we mostly hear about people moving to Nevada (God knows why!), or Idaho (militia friendly Idaho), or the north-west-- Oregon or Washington.
    The odd thing is that I keep hearing how people are leaving California in droves and yet  I see this happening around here all the time:
    "How quickly is Folsom growing?Folsom has grown 54.0% since the 2000. Folsom, California is growing moderately quickly; it is growing faster than 79% of similarly sized cities since 2000."

There are several developments this size and bigger with 20 to 30 minutes of where we live.  It's like a rapidly growing disease:

Uniquely Positioned to Grow for the Future  City of Folsom Economic  Development
    I imagine much of that has to do with cost of living. Most people just want an opportunity, and the places that provide one are sure to attract. Austin as an example use to be very affordable, what has happened there in the last 20-30 years is insane. It has become our biggest example of how the places people are currently fleeing come to fruition.
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,374
    Texas Senate passes bill requiring public school classrooms to display Ten Commandments

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/22/us/texas-senate-passes-bill-ten-commandments

F U Texas fundamentalists!!
    PJ cx a show over a bathroom issue and this is worse.. plus open carry
    .. plus taking away women's rights
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    Texas Senate passes bill requiring public school classrooms to display Ten Commandments

Plus passing more restrictions on voting screw Texas! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

Plenty of reasons for band to take a stand against Texas extremism
  • Options

Plenty of reasons for band to take a stand against Texas extremism

Yeah, I agree guys- it would make sense for PJ to take a stand on this one.  Texas not only has Texas passed a lot of corrupt and biased laws, the state is also infamously know for having unusually inhumane conditions in its prisons. 

FiveBelow, you may be right about things changing in Texas- I sure hope so- but as it stands, this is where that state is currently at- the imbalance is still obvious and the Republican Party has gone off the deep end:
    "Texas is a majority Republican state with Republicans controlling every statewide office.[1] Texas Republicans have majorities in the State House and Senate, an entirely Republican Texas Supreme Court, control of both Senate seats in the US Congress. Texas is America's most-populous Republican state.[2] Many commentators had suggested that Texas is trending Democratic since 2016, however, Republicans have continued to win every statewide office by double digit margins in 2022."

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,109
    Raleigh would like to know why… ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Raleigh would like to know why… ;)
    That's what I wanted to know too... 
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited April 2023
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    brianlux said:
    FiveBelow said:

No they're not.... Texas has always had a large portion of the population that were left and Democrat leaning. Especially in the population centers..Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio etc..,,,The state was dominated by Dems up until the 90's when Republicans took control

Republicans have craved up the state to take away from Liberal areas by gerrymandering the districts .Just look at how Austin is broken up to change the demographics and to keep power with conservatives... Is this a fair and free election when districts are deliberately manipulated?   

Why Did Texas Change from Democrat to Republican?

Austin Congressional District Gerrymandering 
    Post edited by myoung321 on
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    brianlux said:
    FiveBelow said:

no. Californian's moved there.

Alarmed the QOFP enough there was talk of some how preventing the migration through legislation.....
    And plenty of Texans moved to California in the past... So what?
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    brianlux said:
    FiveBelow said:
    brianlux said:
    FiveBelow said:
    brianlux said:
    FiveBelow said:

They are making it unaffordable for the rest of us!
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden