Options

Pearl Jam playing TEXAS?

Comments

• Options
    shorty4568shorty4568 Seattle, WA Posts: 174
    Why do you care about the laws of a state you don't live in? 
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,375
    edited April 2023
    That's a dumb and uninformed thing to say....
  • Options
    enlightenment me
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    enlightenment me
    It is good to be angry constantly about everything possible for some people. That way they don't have to work on their inner selves.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,375
    enlightenment me
    WTF is "enlightenment me"?
  • Options
    enlightenment me
    WTF is "enlightenment me"?
    You say I'm "dumb and uninformed" so enlightenment me oh wise one
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    FiveBelow said:
    brianlux said:
    FiveBelow said:
    brianlux said:
    FiveBelow said:
    Maybe it’s because there are more people in Texas who share a leftist perspective than in any other state not named California? Maybe they are objective enough to understand this and want to reward the fans? Maybe they value diversity in action, instead of in theory? Maybe they are craving tacos or bbq? Or, maybe you should respect their reasoning, whatever it may be, and move on to choosing if you can stomach supporting them anymore after this egregious decision. For those who are making the trip to the boogeyman state, welcome, I hope you enjoy your visit.
    By number or by percentage?  The former, might be possible, though I doubt it.   The latter though?  No, I don't think so.

By number, Brian. Biden received 46% of the vote in Texas, or 5.3 million votes to trumps 5.9 million. Considering these results and the state’s total population it is very likely.

Yeah, they were up there.  Looking at some other stat's* it looks like the states with the most votes given to Biden were California, Florida, Texas, and New York.  A clear example of the split that characterizes this country.  But look at the kind of laws that get passed in TX and FL.  Definitely hard-right wing states, no matter how many dems may reside in them.

It’s just a matter of time, Brian. Texas has been majority minority since 2005 with no signs of slowing, add to that the transplants that continue to move here, and…the times they are a-changin’.

I didn't know that many Californians were moving to Texas- interesting! 
    Around here we mostly hear about people moving to Nevada (God knows why!), or Idaho (militia friendly Idaho), or the north-west-- Oregon or Washington.
    The odd thing is that I keep hearing how people are leaving California in droves and yet  I see this happening around here all the time:
    "How quickly is Folsom growing?Folsom has grown 54.0% since the 2000. Folsom, California is growing moderately quickly; it is growing faster than 79% of similarly sized cities since 2000."

There are several developments this size and bigger with 20 to 30 minutes of where we live.  It's like a rapidly growing disease:

Uniquely Positioned to Grow for the Future  City of Folsom Economic  Development
    They are making it unaffordable for the rest of us!

Yeah, that too.  Here's a typical development- big houses ranging 1705 to 2995 sq. feet, $500K to $800 K and up, and almost no yard. 
    But hey, plenty of room for a garden, right?
    Miniature Gardening - Town  Country Nurseries

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options

For at least a couple of reasons.  First of all, there are people I (and others here) know and care about in states that have laws that repress minorities, deny women their rights to their bodies, suppress votes and or/ intimidate voters who don't agree with repressive laws (yes, that happens).  Secondly, there is something inherently wrong about gerrymandering in states like Texas that create false representation to places like Austin (see myoung321 post with graphic one previous page). 
    And surely by now you realized these moves by the far right are an attempt to install autocratic rule controlled though authoritarian means in this country, right? No thanks and, yes, I care about all that.

And look, your question is weak.  That's like asking, "Why do you care about your neighbors abusing their pets if you don't live there and they're not your pets?"  Just turn a blind eye, right?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:

For at least a couple of reasons.  First of all, there are people I (and others here) know and care about in states that have laws that repress minorities, deny women their rights to their bodies, suppress votes and or/ intimidate voters who don't agree with repressive laws (yes, that happens).  Secondly, there is something inherently wrong about gerrymandering in states like Texas that create false representation to places like Austin (see myoung321 post with graphic one previous page). 
    And surely by now you realized these moves by the far right are an attempt to install autocratic rule controlled though authoritarian means in this country, right? No thanks and, yes, I care about all that.

And look, your question is weak.  That's like asking, "Why do you care about your neighbors abusing their pets if you don't live there and they're not your pets?"  Just turn a blind eye, right?
    Its none of your business how Texans choose to govern their own state. You don't live there. They don't need to align with your values because you are not a constituent. Those in Texas that disagree with current policies can either vote for change or move to another state. Quit trying to shoe horn your politics into every situation. Turn off your TV and go touch some grass. Let Texas enjoy some PJ concerts. 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    brianlux said:

Its none of your business how Texans choose to govern their own state. You don't live there. They don't need to align with your values because you are not a constituent. Those in Texas that disagree with current policies can either vote for change or move to another state. Quit trying to shoe horn your politics into every situation. Turn off your TV and go touch some grass. Let Texas enjoy some PJ concerts. 
    Yeah I agree if you wanna live in a state that has terrible legislative laws across the board that’s on the individuals! I’ve chosen to boycott any state that has laws such as Texas,Florida etc etc I’m not going to go there and spend my $$. I don’t care how big the barbecue is or what band plays the state! It’s the least I can do as an individual. 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Can't.  Stop. Laughing. 

Constant entertainment from the left cult
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    Can't.  Stop. Laughing. 

Cult says the cultist who fly flags! What shows did you put in for? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    Raleigh would like to know why… ;)
    Perhaps the intent is to cancel all 4 shows a day or 2 prior to really stick it to Greg Abbott and Ted Cruz.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Poncier said:
    Raleigh would like to know why… ;)
    Perhaps the intent is to cancel all 4 shows a day or 2 prior to really stick it to Greg Abbott and Ted Cruz.
    That would be a sick burn
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,117
    brianlux said:

Authoritarian much?

Like the liberal cities in Texas should have zero say about the laws in their state, and we shouldn’t support them. Nice country pal. And congrats to PJ playing in this 1800s era state that treats women and people of color like slaves 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    Can't.  Stop. Laughing. 

Cult says the cultist who fly flags! What shows did you put in for? 
    Fly flags and worship an orange hued grifter
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Sorry, Shorty, but I don't jump when people say "jump" or tell me what to do, how to think, how to act.  Besides, I have no shoe horn, I don't watch TV or smoke grass any more, and I have every goddamn right in the world to voice my opinions here.  If you don't like that, please feel free to ignore me.

• Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    They coming for you next, that's why.

Abortion, voting, 10 Commandments in every classroom.

https://www.instagram.com/texasgop/

Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options

• Options
    edited April 2023
    https://youtu.be/lWjK_Eu8uME

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/10/31/biden-trump-texas-bus/

The Federal Bureau of Investigation is looking into a Friday incident in which a group of Trump supporters, driving trucks and waving Trump flags, surrounded and followed a Biden campaign bus as it drove up I-35 in Hays County, a law enforcement official confirmed to The Texas Tribune Saturday.

The confrontation, captured on video, featured at least one minor collision and led to Texas Democrats canceling three scheduled campaign events on Friday. The campaign officials cited “safety concerns” for the cancellations.

On Saturday night, Trump tweeted a video of the Trump supporters following the Biden bus saying, “I LOVE TEXAS!”

When reached for comment, the Texas GOP Chairman Allen West dismissed questions regarding the incident. “It is more fake news and propaganda. Prepare to lose ... stop bothering me,” West said in a statement.

Post edited by ikiT on
  • Options
    Many PJ fans travel, I've been lucky enough to see the boys a buncha times, my first show (in 2010) being the only one I've seen in my "home" state.   The last show I was at, Amsterdam 2 in 2018, I'm a row back from the rail and I turn around and there's another fan with a Boston Red Sox hat on.

TRAVEL costs money. Food, hotels, rental cars, parking.  None of my $$ are going into the Texas economy. 
    I am really surprised that this conscious band made such a decision.  If someone can enlighten me, that would be awesome.

Stop saying "just let the Texas fans have their show." Start letting the women of Texas have their RIGHTS.
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited April 2023
     :) 
    Post edited by myoung321 on
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    Exactly!!!!!! I've been to shows in many states and a few different countries. Saying "our shows" is a bit short sighted, especially for a Ten Club member.. 

• Options
    edited April 2023

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,635
    To not care about other people in the same country is an odd take, and if someone does, making that into an insult is more odd. 
  • Options
    edited April 2023

• Options
    To not care about other people in the same country is an odd take, and if someone does, making that into an insult is more odd. 
    I said why do you care about the laws of a state you don't live in? I didn't say anything about not caring for people. Don't get it twisted. The people in that state have the right to create the laws they wish to be governed by. If Texans have a grievance, they can vote for change, challenge it legally or move to another state. To say people in Texas shouldn't be able to enjoy a PJ concert because of their laws is utter nonsense.  
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,802
    send a strongly worded lettet to the band and its management.  they are the only ones who know why 4 of 9 announced shows are there.  asking that question here is useless imo.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    ikiT said:
    They coming for you next, that's why.

Abortion, voting, 10 Commandments in every classroom.

https://www.instagram.com/texasgop/

No, 100% the Texas GOP isn't coming for me next. 
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,635
    I said why do you care about the laws of a state you don't live in? I didn't say anything about not caring for people. Don't get it twisted. The people in that state have the right to create the laws they wish to be governed by. If Texans have a grievance, they can vote for change, challenge it legally or move to another state. To say people in Texas shouldn't be able to enjoy a PJ concert because of their laws is utter nonsense.  
    Not everyone has the ability to just up and move. And since the laws effect people, caring about the laws is caring about the people, so that’s the answer to your why question. To say go touch grass suggests someone is over-reacting.