myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited April 2023
     :) 
    Post edited by myoung321 on
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,932
    myoung321 said:
    Why do you care about the laws of a state you don't live in? 
    To not care about other people in the same country is an odd take, and if someone does, making that into an insult is more odd. 
    I said why do you care about the laws of a state you don't live in? I didn't say anything about not caring for people. Don't get it twisted. The people in that state have the right to create the laws they wish to be governed by.   
    sorry, but this seems like a contradiction..  Laws affect people....  so if you care about the people, then you'd care about the laws that affect those people...right? regardless if you live there or not... 

it would appear that those laws dont affect "his" people so why care.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    shorty4568shorty4568 Seattle, WA Posts: 176
    mickeyrat said:
    myoung321 said:
    To not care about other people in the same country is an odd take, and if someone does, making that into an insult is more odd. 
    I said why do you care about the laws of a state you don't live in? I didn't say anything about not caring for people. Don't get it twisted. The people in that state have the right to create the laws they wish to be governed by.   
    sorry, but this seems like a contradiction..  Laws affect people....  so if you care about the people, then you'd care about the laws that affect those people...right? regardless if you live there or not... 

it would appear that those laws dont affect "his" people so why care.....
    Those laws effect the same people that have the ability to change them. So why should PJ not play concerts in that state? 
  • Options
    edited April 2023

• Options
    ikiT said:
    Many PJ fans travel, I've been lucky enough to see the boys a buncha times, my first show (in 2010) being the only one I've seen in my "home" state.   The last show I was at, Amsterdam 2 in 2018, I'm a row back from the rail and I turn around and there's another fan with a Boston Red Sox hat on.

TRAVEL costs money. Food, hotels, rental cars, parking.  None of my $$ are going into the Texas economy. 
    I am really surprised that this conscious band made such a decision.  If someone can enlighten me, that would be awesome.

Stop saying "just let the Texas fans have their show." Start letting the women of Texas have their RIGHTS.
    Here is a little enlightenment…Our “conscious” band is and has been about the $$$$$$ for quite sometime now.  Accept it for what it obviously is and look at it as “It’s only Rock n roll, but I like IT”.  If one is so bothered they are playing 4 of their 9 announced shows in such a horrible, oppressive state, I don’t know a progressive leaning person can ever support this band where ever they play….Rotten Brains sure love a good ole CANCEL..YAH-WHOO!!!
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,682
    ikiT said:
    Many PJ fans travel, I've been lucky enough to see the boys a buncha times, my first show (in 2010) being the only one I've seen in my "home" state.   The last show I was at, Amsterdam 2 in 2018, I'm a row back from the rail and I turn around and there's another fan with a Boston Red Sox hat on.

TRAVEL costs money. Food, hotels, rental cars, parking.  None of my $$ are going into the Texas economy. 
    I am really surprised that this conscious band made such a decision.  If someone can enlighten me, that would be awesome.

Stop saying "just let the Texas fans have their show." Start letting the women of Texas have their RIGHTS.
    Here is a little enlightenment…Our “conscious” band is and has been about the $$$$$$ for quite sometime now.  Accept it for what it obviously is and look at it as “It’s only Rock n roll, but I like IT”.  If one is so bothered they are playing 4 of their 9 announced shows in such a horrible, oppressive state, I don’t know a progressive leaning person can ever support this band where ever they play….Rotten Brains sure love a good ole CANCEL..YAH-WHOO!!!
    Quite sometime. Since they signed with Sony. 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,137
    brianlux said:

For at least a couple of reasons.  First of all, there are people I (and others here) know and care about in states that have laws that repress minorities, deny women their rights to their bodies, suppress votes and or/ intimidate voters who don't agree with repressive laws (yes, that happens).  Secondly, there is something inherently wrong about gerrymandering in states like Texas that create false representation to places like Austin (see myoung321 post with graphic one previous page). 
    And surely by now you realized these moves by the far right are an attempt to install autocratic rule controlled though authoritarian means in this country, right? No thanks and, yes, I care about all that.

And look, your question is weak.  That's like asking, "Why do you care about your neighbors abusing their pets if you don't live there and they're not your pets?"  Just turn a blind eye, right?
    It’s none of your business how Texans choose to govern their own state. You don't live there. They don't need to align with your values because you are not a constituent. Those in Texas that disagree with current policies can either vote for change or move to another state. Quit trying to shoe horn your politics into every situation. Turn off your TV and go touch some grass. Let Texas enjoy some PJ concerts. 
    Because they take federal $…so there are some standards and there should be. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited April 2023

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    ikiT said:

No doubt but as an individual one can do their part in a small way! I choose to boycott these states no matter who plays there! Lennon & Harrison could come back in golden chariots to reform the Beatles I’d still refuse to spend my $$$ in a oppressive state like Texas! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,682
    myoung321 said:
    ikiT said:

True.... and We look the other way having to deal with Ticketmaster more and more each tour. Now they're taking 10% of tickets for "Premium Re-Sell at Market Value"... yet were banned from trading with fellow members directly. I'm sure that 10% allotment comes from the Ten Club pile.. oh well... shit changes over time.. 
    it does. It was a major pain in the ass trying to get tickets in the mid 90s. Now, not so much. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,769
    edited April 2023
    ikiT said:

Do you really think so?  I have to admit, I'm not as big a fan of PJ's last several releases (I'm mostly a big mid-period PJ fan), but they're still one of the best live bands anywhere.  Anyway, my point is, I can't imagine they're in it just for the money.  People like Pearl Jam, Neil Young, John Lydon- any number of aged artist- do you really think they are into making music just for the money?  I'm sure some are, but we're talking about people who I'm pretty sure have a lot more integrity than some old band going through the routine of playing their old hits.  I bite my to so as not to disparage that type of artist, but I would not place Pearl Jam in that category. Listen to any of their live output from recent years.  These guys are not just dialing it in, they are still rocking hard.  You don't work that hard at the age just for money, especially when you're already pretty well off.  I harbor Pearl Jam no resentment for compensation for their hard work.  Hell, I wish I could work that hard!

And what's with "Rotten Brains"?  I know PiL is doing some gigs these days, but I don't know of any Lydon/ Bad Brains collaboration.  That would be kind of interesting though, would it not?!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    myoung321 said:
    ikiT said:

True.... and We look the other way having to deal with Ticketmaster more and more each tour. Now they're taking 10% of tickets for "Premium Re-Sell at Market Value"... yet were banned from trading with fellow members directly. I'm sure that 10% allotment comes from the Ten Club pile.. oh well... shit changes over time.. 
    it does. It was a major pain in the ass trying to get tickets in the mid 90s. Now, not so much. 
    That's probably because they are less popular and fewer people are trying to get tickets.  They were the biggest band in the world at that time.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007

Cows found dead with tongues missing across Texas. Police investigating mutilations

The cows were all found along the same highway in three different counties, officials said

Six cows were mutilated in similar ways and found in different locations along a Texas highway, prompting multiple law enforcement investigations, authorities said.

A 6-year-old cow was recently found dead, lying on its side and missing its tongue in Madison County near State Highway OSR, a sheriff’s office news release said, referring to a stretch of Old San Antonio Road.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2023/04/23/cows-found-dead-with-tongues-missing-across-texas-police-investigating-mutilations/
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,254
    ikiT said:
    Misleading fear mongering freedom of choice restriction headlines are the best! Someone send Ted some menthols and cherry flavored cigarillos for his kids to try out.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,137
    tbergs said:
    ikiT said:
    Misleading fear mongering freedom of choice restriction headlines are the best! Someone send Ted some menthols and cherry flavored cigarillos for his kids to try out.
    So is this to require a permit to sell like alcohol?  Cause personally I think it's ridiculous to have a product that is legal to sell...legal to consume...and then limit who is selling it.  But I guess I'm ok with a permit process but it should be pretty easy to obtain.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    "i'm bringing my guns to the texas shows, because its maaah raaghts!!"

-some wyatt derp texan probably
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    edited April 2023

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,162
    ikiT said:

lol, No, not really

If they were, they'd have face value tickets for $250 and up like all the other major bands, and hit the big cities more often with 3 show runs.
  • Options

A Neurologist Has Tried to Pinpoint What Bugs Him About Ted Cruz’s Face

There are many important issues to discuss this election season, but neurologist Dr. Richard Cytowic recently highlighted a new one: Ted Cruz’s face. Let’s hear him out. 

The Texas senator has garnered some unsavory comparisons: Grandpa Munster is a typical one; Kevin from The Office is another. And recently, Cytowic attempted in a Psychology Today post to figure out what, exactly, it is about the Texas senator’s face that so many people apparently find off-putting.

https://www.thecut.com/2016/02/neurologist-on-what-bugs-him-about-ted-cruzs-face.html
  • Options

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,836
    Can we close this useless thread now? 
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    nicknyr15 said:
    Not until PJ cancels all the shows at the last minute in support or disapproval of something so the OP can feel vindicated.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,836
    static111 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Not until PJ cancels all the shows at the last minute in support or disapproval of something so the OP can feel vindicated.
    Gotcha!! Definitely makes perfect sense 
  • Options
    That's right, it's MY fault.
  • Options
    Explanation is ALL I seek. 

If you hate something, don't you do it too 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,860
    play where your fans are
    if you are that bent out of shape about their government
    stay an extra day and hold a rally and/or donate proceeds of your show profits to groups you agree with
    hold a press conference the day of the show

boycotting the region only hurts your fans and the workers these shows employ. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,860
    That's a dumb and uninformed thing to say....
    enlightenment me
    WTF is "enlightenment me"?
    You say I'm "dumb and uninformed" so enlightenment me oh wise one
    kinda funny you doubled down on this "enlightenment me" comment. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,932
    ikiT said:
    Explanation is ALL I seek. 

If you hate something, don't you do it too 

do you honestly believe you would receive one here?
    All you would get at best is speculation.

Has your desire for "explanation" been satisfied?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    play where your fans are
    if you are that bent out of shape about their government
    stay an extra day and hold a rally and/or donate proceeds of your show profits to groups you agree with
    hold a press conference the day of the show

boycotting the region only hurts your fans and the workers these shows employ. 
    I could go either way on this. They can go to a place like Texas and make a stink on stage and do some other good stuff.  OR they could argue that because fans travel from so far to see them, their presence there brings in money from outside. Would that matter? Not really, unless a lot of artists did it. But if that was their choice, I'd respect it.

The only wrong thing is to pull the plug days before the show like they did in North Carolina. 

That all said, I put in for both Austin shows...so I'll be spending some money in one of America's two most important states (FL).

(As an aside, I live two miles from the first two shows but my wife and  I are all booked (and in for over $1000) on a vacation. Terrible timing...ugh.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin