Options

The Official 2024 TOUR Thread

Comments

• Options
    BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,184
    Zen23 said:
    Maybe an interesting info for upcoming Pearl Jam concerts in Germany. Unlike most of their European neighbors, where Ticketmaster is in power, tickets in Germany have so far been sold through Tickets.de. One of a few remaining small ticket sellers. The Pearl Jam concerts of the past ten years thus took place exclusively in Berlin (Wuhlheide and Waldbühne) and once now in 2022 in Frankfurt (Festhalle).

But also Tickets.de had to give up at the beginning of this year. This means that from now on, Ticketmaster or possibly Eventim will take over the pre-sale in Germany as well. This in turn could mean that new venues will also be considered. First and foremost, the three biggest and relatively new German indoor venues. Lanxess Arena in Cologne with 20,000 seats. Mercedes-Benz Arena in Berlin with 17,000 seats. And Barclays Arena in Hamburg with 16,000 seats.

It would be a dream to see Pearl Jam live in these venues.
    Isn't the berlin arena the one they played 2 nights in 2012 ?
  • Options
    EMC77EMC77 Almería, Spain Posts: 129
    JABK said:
    I wouldn't mind them starting to do spring or fall arena tours in Europe...and not allways the same time in the summer.

Jeff recently said this in an interview: "I hate working in the summer. There's nothing worse for me than being in Europe for several weeks in the middle of July"

The first thing I thought was, come on guys, come in spring or fall and don't do festivals at all!

• Options
    HaijayHaijay Posts: 346
    Zen23 said:
    Maybe an interesting info for upcoming Pearl Jam concerts in Germany. Unlike most of their European neighbors, where Ticketmaster is in power, tickets in Germany have so far been sold through Tickets.de. One of a few remaining small ticket sellers. The Pearl Jam concerts of the past ten years thus took place exclusively in Berlin (Wuhlheide and Waldbühne) and once now in 2022 in Frankfurt (Festhalle).

But also Tickets.de had to give up at the beginning of this year. This means that from now on, Ticketmaster or possibly Eventim will take over the pre-sale in Germany as well. This in turn could mean that new venues will also be considered. First and foremost, the three biggest and relatively new German indoor venues. Lanxess Arena in Cologne with 20,000 seats. Mercedes-Benz Arena in Berlin with 17,000 seats. And Barclays Arena in Hamburg with 16,000 seats.

Yeppers
  • Options
    drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,150
    edited August 2023
    EMC77 said:
    JABK said:
    I wouldn't mind them starting to do spring or fall arena tours in Europe...and not allways the same time in the summer.

Jeff recently said this in an interview: "I hate working in the summer. There's nothing worse for me than being in Europe for several weeks in the middle of July"

The first thing I thought was, come on guys, come in spring or fall and don't do festivals at all!

I wonder why they keep touring in May to September then if he doesn’t like it. When was the last tour not in these months? US 2016? Personally I would love a Sep/Oct/Nov or Mar/Apr U.K. and Europe tour. Can’t remember when they last played here in those months 
    Post edited by drfox on
  • Options
    Zen23Zen23 Posts: 382
    Zen23 said:

Yes, I know. But I was talking about the concerts of the past ten years.
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 2,000
    EMC77 said:
    JABK said:

Jeff is a miserable fucker, haha. I love PJ summer Euro tours! 
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,994
    Jeff said a few months ago that they have a bunch of things penciled in for next year, but what he didn't say was that he plans to say no to half of them. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 674
    JimmyV said:
    Jeff said a few months ago that they have a bunch of things penciled in for next year, but what he didn't say was that he plans to say no to half of them. 
    He is the one pouring cold water on Stone’s claims the album’s almost ready.
  • Options
    danofundanofun Posts: 808
    Jeff, if you’re reading, you’re a legend! You do you my man!!
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,614
    danofun said:
    Jeff, if you’re reading, you’re a legend! You do you my man!!

• Options
    Don't take it out on Jeff! He's the best guy in the world.

I just don't understand why they only tour Europe in the summer when it's something one of their members hates doing.

• Options
    BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,184
    EMC77 said:

I just don't understand why they only tour Europe in the summer when it's something one of their members hates doing.

Because the festivals pay big ?
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,418
    EMC77 said:
    JABK said:

Damn it’s not like they always tour! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,921
    edited August 2023
    EMC77 said:

I hate working swing shifts in a steel mill, but the pay is okay. It is why I do it. He hates getting to travel across Europe for a few weeks every couple years, but the pay is probably enough that he begrudgingly goes to do it. The struggle is real.
    Post edited by darwinstheory on
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,439
    EMC77 said:

Purely a guess but so they can take their kids who are off for summer break? 
  • Options
    Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 4,454
    EMC77 said:

Purely a guess but so they can take their kids who are off for summer break? 
    Not just band's nuclear family, but road crew too. Lots of longtime employees.
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II, 05/16 & 05/18/24: Las Vegas I & II. Michael Jordan's #!

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, all of Vitalogy or Satan's Bed, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways (full band), You Are (thank you, Vegas!), Bu$hleaguer, Inside Job (Vegas!), low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Of The Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Comfortably Numb, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!
  • Options
    goblues82goblues82 Posts: 260
    drfox said:
    EMC77 said:
    JABK said:

I wonder why they keep touring in May to September then if he doesn’t like it. When was the last tour not in these months? US 2016? Personally I would love a Sep/Oct/Nov or Mar/Apr U.K. and Europe tour. Can’t remember when they last played here in those months 
    May- September are the prime touring window. 
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,623
    I wouldn't want to work during summer if it was prime weather season in Montana where I lived.  Now, if by "working" you meant playing 2 hour rock shows for 3 weeks and walking away with a million or more that will set your kids up for live, then I think a more grateful attitude should be chosen. 
  • Options
    SS151546SS151546 Posts: 21
    I know post people don't want to accept it, but the years of 30-40 show tours are behind them.  They are not spring chickens anymore and they all have families and I am sure they want to spend as much time with them as possible. Touring is just too physically demanding and draining at their age.  I don't want to accept it either as a fan but it happens with just about every act.  Fewer shows, shorter set lists, etc.  Just saw Metallica in NJ and following weekend in Montreal. They still sound great but you can definitely tell they are not the same physically.  They used to play 2 and half hour sets, then about 29 years ago it became 2 hours 15 minutes and it became 18 song setlists (15 + 3 song encore).  Then 2 years ago it became 2 hours and 16 songs without encore and it seems it's going to be mostly stadiums going forward with 2 shows max per week. I know a lot of people are complaining that it's all about money at this point for them, and while it feels like it and very well may be, I can't blame a band that can make the same amount in 2 shows over a weekend rather than doing 8-10 arena shows over 2 weeks. Pearl Jam is getting very close to that as well.  I can definitely see their tours becoming 8-10 festival/stadium shows in Europe and 5-6 stadium weekends in the States. It's a lot less exhausting and makes financial sense. Everyone needs to remember that music and touring is a business and ultimately all bands treat it as such. 
  • Options
    aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,258
    edited August 2023
    Edit: wrong thread
    Post edited by aisleseats on
  • Options
    raindog80raindog80 Reggio Emilia, Italy Posts: 1,141
    EMC77 said:

In which interview? Link please. 
    "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things" - Tom Waits
    pearljamonline.it
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,377
    EMC77 said:
    JABK said:

What interview?
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    EMC77 said:
    JABK said:

What interview?
    +1

pearljamonline.it
  • Options
    SS151546 said:
    I know post people don't want to accept it, but the years of 30-40 show tours are behind them.  They are not spring chickens anymore and they all have families and I am sure they want to spend as much time with them as possible. Touring is just too physically demanding and draining at their age.  I don't want to accept it either as a fan but it happens with just about every act.  Fewer shows, shorter set lists, etc.  Just saw Metallica in NJ and following weekend in Montreal. They still sound great but you can definitely tell they are not the same physically.  They used to play 2 and half hour sets, then about 29 years ago it became 2 hours 15 minutes and it became 18 song setlists (15 + 3 song encore).  Then 2 years ago it became 2 hours and 16 songs without encore and it seems it's going to be mostly stadiums going forward with 2 shows max per week. I know a lot of people are complaining that it's all about money at this point for them, and while it feels like it and very well may be, I can't blame a band that can make the same amount in 2 shows over a weekend rather than doing 8-10 arena shows over 2 weeks. Pearl Jam is getting very close to that as well.  I can definitely see their tours becoming 8-10 festival/stadium shows in Europe and 5-6 stadium weekends in the States. It's a lot less exhausting and makes financial sense. Everyone needs to remember that music and touring is a business and ultimately all bands treat it as such. 
    Definitely a business.

PJ has always minimized their tours since 2003.   9 shows wouldn’t be surprising ten years ago.  They are 60.  They aren’t dead.  

They are their own boss. Do what they want.  Hopefully not complain about the easiest money you can make other than being a business owner where you make money while you sleep.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,024
    SS151546 said:
    Definitely a business.

PJ has always minimized their tours since 2003.   9 shows wouldn’t be surprising ten years ago.  They are 60.  They aren’t dead.  

They are their own boss. Do what they want.  Hopefully not complain about the easiest money you can make other than being a business owner where you make money while you sleep.
    This 

Also we were supposed to get close to 40 shows last year. 2020 was going to be a big year too. Big for them at least. 
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,377
    SS151546 said:
    Definitely a business.

Touring and owning your own business don't strike me as easy
  • Options
    raindog80 said:
    pjl44 said:
    EMC77 said:
    JABK said:

What interview?
    +1

• Options
    EMC77 said:
    raindog80 said:
    pjl44 said:
    EMC77 said:
    JABK said:

What interview?
    +1

Thanks. 
    pearljamonline.it
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    SS151546 said:
    Definitely a business.

Touring and owning your own business don't strike me as easy
    Business owner was more about the making money when you sleep concept.  Most work very hard assuming active in the business and not just cashing dividend checks.  Touring at PJ's level seems like a sweet way to earn a million dollars in a short time compared to what most of would have to do on this forum to make that much money (looking at hourly rates).   I would gather at this point the band only needs to show up and play.   Unless the band isn't out surfing, skateboarding, hiking or skiing anymore, then I think they can handle a 2 hour show.  From what I can tell, it is more about being away from home and family than physical.  I'm glad PJ has done it the way they have done it, because it seems all too easy to get in trouble on the road.

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,378
    drfox said:
    EMC77 said:
    JABK said:

I love offseason tours too.   Hotels are so much cheaper in the fall/winter/early spring.   I've also not got much going on during winters, so having fall/winter/early spring concerts to go to always keeps my spirits up :)
This discussion has been closed.