Options

The Baseball Card Thread

Comments

• Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,791
    Thanks gentlemen.
    Much appreciated. 
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    on2legs said:
    I’m sure you’ll get lots of great suggestions, but I’ve been using these holders lately and love them.  No more screws - they have a magnetic closure and they make for a nice presentation of cards that you’re not going to be getting graded.  I included an eBay link - not my auction - for some of the holders. 

Not a fan of the one touches.  They will scratch your chrome cards if you move them around a lot.  People love them and I avoid them.
  • Options
    Well, for $4500 I am contemplating going on ebay and purchasing a T206 TyCobb.

And YES IM FUCKING SERIOUS. 

Damn that would be nice to have.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Haven't bought a pack of cards in over 45 years, but back in the day I had some gems. 
    I was more into the football cards. At one point I had 
    3 rookie Walter Payton cards
    Rookie Jim Brown, 2nd and 3rd year Brown.
    Rookie Fran Tarkenton, also 2nd and 3rd year.
    3rd year Johnny Unitas
    Rookie Gale Sayers
    Rookie Dick Butkus
    Had many different Mays, Mantle, Aaron, Clemente, and other big names from the 50's and 60's. I still have a bunch of Ernie Banks from the 50 and 60's.

Still have most of the baseball cards but the football cards are long gone. 
    good stuff....I remember we used to use fishing tackle boxes to store our cards. I sure wish I would have hung onto those.

I have a memory of having a bunch of my cards laid out on the floor and my grandma rolling over them with a vacuum cleaner because she told me to pick them up and I didn't. At least she warned me.
    A vacuum cleaner! Oh my, that is hilarious.
    I have decided to have some fun and build up what's left of my baseball/football card collection. I went on ebay this weekend and purchased some cards. I stuck with the PSA 4-7 graded cards, and still spent way too much money! hahaha
    I did plenty of homework on completed listings and visited some websites that list card values according to psa grades. I also visited a few of the online stores and looked at their inventory, and their sales history as far as pricing goes. I actually think I did pretty damned good. I realized that the Mickey Mantle cards are just too damn overpriced, no matter what the cards graded. Also the Mays cards were expensive. But I got some beautiful 1959 cards that were affordable. 
    Koufax
    Banks
    Aaron
    Picked up a 1955 Ernie Banks, a 1956 Ernie Banks and a 1960 Banks. 
    Picked up a couple other Aarons, another Koufax, and a Mays. 

YEAH, I spent some money, but oh well.
    Ill slow it down for a month and work on how I want to display these. 

Post edited by SPEEDY MCCREADY on
  • Options
    And before anyone asks, I have ZERO INTENTION of purchasing any cards from the 80s 90s 2000s, 2010 or 2020. 
    Not interested in the least. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,949
    Haven't bought a pack of cards in over 45 years, but back in the day I had some gems. 
    3rd year Johnny Unitas
    Rookie Gale Sayers
    Rookie Dick Butkus
    Had many different Mays, Mantle, Aaron, Clemente, and other big names from the 50's and 60's. I still have a bunch of Ernie Banks from the 50 and 60's.

good stuff....I remember we used to use fishing tackle boxes to store our cards. I sure wish I would have hung onto those.

I have a memory of having a bunch of my cards laid out on the floor and my grandma rolling over them with a vacuum cleaner because she told me to pick them up and I didn't. At least she warned me.
    I have decided to have some fun and build up what's left of my baseball/football card collection. I went on ebay this weekend and purchased some cards. I stuck with the PSA 4-7 graded cards, and still spent way too much money! hahaha
    I did plenty of homework on completed listings and visited some websites that list card values according to psa grades. I also visited a few of the online stores and looked at their inventory, and their sales history as far as pricing goes. I actually think I did pretty damned good. I realized that the Mickey Mantle cards are just too damn overpriced, no matter what the cards graded. Also the Mays cards were expensive. But I got some beautiful 1959 cards that were affordable. 
    Koufax
    Banks
    Aaron

I am planning on getting some Reds cards from the Big Red Machine era. Maybe try to get rookie cards for each.

Bench/Perez/Morgan/Concepcion/Rose/Griffey/Foster/Geronimo

I tried to score a Bench rookie on ebay and the bids were going above recommended value so I backed off
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    edited March 2023

That is a holy grail card for me.  
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    3rd year Johnny Unitas
    Rookie Gale Sayers
    Rookie Dick Butkus

Koufax
    Banks
    Aaron

Those are a good investment.  Solid.  I wouldnt tell anyone to flip their 401K and invest in old cards for retirement or anything though
    IMO, they should always hold value as they will always be scarce and in-demand unless some sort of apocolypse happens or something
  • Options

Which one?  Bat off shoulder?  Portrait?

For 4500 it will be a poor grade I think but as long as it looks good.

Enjoy!!!
  • Options

Which one?  Bat off shoulder?  Portrait?

For 4500 it will be a poor grade I think but as long as it looks good.

Enjoy!!!
    Red Portrait
  • Options
    3rd year Johnny Unitas
    Rookie Gale Sayers
    Rookie Dick Butkus

Koufax
    Banks
    Aaron

I am planning on getting some Reds cards from the Big Red Machine era. Maybe try to get rookie cards for each.

I tried to score a Bench rookie on ebay and the bids were going above recommended value so I backed off
    I always loved that 2nd year Bench card, with the trophy. That card is magical. And I am guessing Bench is 20 years old in that pic? 
    I spent the last weekend looking at a ton of cards from the Big Red Machine. 
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

That is a holy grail card for me.  
    I hear you. 
    Im also looking at the Goudey 1933 Lou Gehrig. For $2500 I can have a psa 1, miscut, beat to hell card. But I would have a LOU GEHRIG!!!!
  • Options
    3rd year Johnny Unitas
    Rookie Gale Sayers
    Rookie Dick Butkus

Koufax
    Banks
    Aaron

I always loved that 2nd year Bench card, with the trophy. That card is magical. And I am guessing Bench is 20 years old in that pic? 
    Yeah I was going for that one on ebay as well....a PSA7 went for $440

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    3rd year Johnny Unitas
    Rookie Gale Sayers
    Rookie Dick Butkus

Koufax
    Banks
    Aaron

Yeah I was going for that one on ebay as well....a PSA7 went for $440
    Funny, I spent all weekend looking at a psa 6 going for $269 Buy It Now. I passed, for now. But damned, I was THIS CLOSE to pulling the trigger on that card!
  • Options
    If you don't feel like spending 2G for a Gherig here is a cheaper and very nice alternative.  Still has that vintage feel and very nicely done cards.  

1960 Fleer.  I own one of these.  Beautiful cards.
    1960 Fleer  28 Lou Gehrig  Yankees
  • Options
    3rd year Johnny Unitas
    Rookie Gale Sayers
    Rookie Dick Butkus

Koufax
    Banks
    Aaron

I just picked one up from a collection recently.  Great card because it's a full shot of a very young Bench and it's got the gold cup!
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,069
    edited March 2023
    Bought a set of 800 mixed cards from the 1980s for 4.99 in one of those discount stores last week. A lot of them are ones I already had but there were some from the early 80s sets like 1981 Donruss that I didn't have. Plus you couldn't beat the price for that many cards.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options

trying to score these two

• Options

Probstein twice sent me the wrong card after winning an auction.  I try to avoid them now if I can.

Those are really clean 7's.  Good luck!

I'm buying up Bobby Witt Jr cards.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    This thread made me want to go through my cards. I think it's the first time in about 15 years that I looked at them. Outside of a Shaquille O'Neal 2nd or 3rd year card, I have a big old pile of nothing lol. I bought a complete set of baseball cards (Donruss, I think) from the late 80s for $20. Looked up the value and it's now worth $15. Great return on investment :lol:

I know I spent a lot of allowance money on cards. Even though they're pretty much worthless, the nostalgia was worth every penny.
  • Options
    This thread made me want to go through my cards. I think it's the first time in about 15 years that I looked at them. Outside of a Shaquille O'Neal 2nd or 3rd year card, I have a big old pile of nothing lol. I bought a complete set of baseball cards (Donruss, I think) from the late 80s for $20. Looked up the value and it's now worth $15. Great return on investment :lol:

I know I spent a lot of allowance money on cards. Even though they're pretty much worthless, the nostalgia was worth every penny.
    You can still buy cheap boxes of 80's and early 90's cards if you want to rip them.

I threw out all my 88-91 cards.  Picked through for the stars then dumped them.  Those will never, ever be worth something.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104

You can still buy cheap boxes of 80's and early 90's cards if you want to rip them.

I threw out all my 88-91 cards.  Picked through for the stars then dumped them.  Those will never, ever be worth something.
    No thanks, I'm good
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,915
    I've got thousands of commons from the late 80s-early 90s.  I'd like to get rid of them so that I can free up some storage space.  Hate to just throw them away but I might have to.  
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options

No thanks, I'm good
    For $10 you can go down sentimental aisle then donate them to a kid.
  • Options
    JojoRice said:
    I've got thousands of commons from the late 80s-early 90s.  I'd like to get rid of them so that I can free up some storage space.  Hate to just throw them away but I might have to.  
    I'd take them off your hands.  You on the East coast at least?
  • Options

Probstein twice sent me the wrong card after winning an auction.  I try to avoid them now if I can.

good call....lots of negative reviews even though they still have a high %

• Options

good call....lots of negative reviews even though they still have a high %
    So I got screwed and didn't realize it.  If they send you the wrong cards, demand the right ones and don't ask for a refund.  I didn't realize the options at the time.  Wish I had got the cards instead of my money back.
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,915
    JojoRice said:
    Kennesaw, GA.  Just north of Atlanta. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    JojoRice said:
    JojoRice said:
    Kennesaw, GA.  Just north of Atlanta. 
    I'll pay shipping!

I always wondered if Kennesaw was named after the baseball commissioner or vice =versa?
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • Options

what is the difference with these PSA/DNA cards? I see these "Auto 10" references but it isn't really PSA 10 right?